Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

torgeaux posted:

I'm not familiar enough with AW devices to get the distinction. Given the nature of the thread, can you explain?

It probably makes more sense in the context of the UI. Android Wear is divided into two parts, Suggest (cards):

and Demand (Commands):

Using that as a frame you could (arbitrarily) define three levels of support for Android Wear:

Level 0: All notifications on the phone automatically get turned into cards on the watch.

Level 1: The developer of the phone app creates a Wear-optimized alternate version of the notification which gets cardified on the watch instead of the phone version e.g. A x messages Gmail/Inbox summary notification on the phone turns into a card stack where each individual message is readable/dismissable on the watch.

Level 2: The developer of creates an actual Watch APK to run on the watch (which is embedded in the phone app and silently installed). Native apps running on the watch can add watchfaces, post notification cards directly and hook up to the voice/command screen.

The Pebble AW support the article refers to is Level 1 i.e. Pebble can display Wear formatted notifications. It can't (and unless Pebble actually creates an AW device, never will) support Level 2 since it doesn't run Android.

What that actually means in practice is that there are some cards which won't show up in an equivalent form on Pebble. Biggest example would be the Google Now cards, which are generated by an app running directly on the Watch. Naturally everything else in Level 2 won't work either. This also means that any hybrids Pebble intercepts have the potential to show up but be broken i.e. A Watch formatted notification (Level 1), which deeplinks into a native Wear app running on the watch (Level 2) for more in-depth stuff. It will show up on Pebble, but the native parts won't work.

So there's quite a bit of difference, but its a obfuscated since the UI model papers over the implementation.

Cithen posted:

It seems clunky to me. The prettiest princess seems to be the Moto360, but when it comes down to it it is just a small extension of my phone. Being able to use Google Wallet through the watch, especially without pairing it with a phone would be nice. From what I understand it also doesn't have the ability to easily hop from my phone to my tablet. More so than anything, I would want it to be more of an independent device. I realize this may be a pipe dream though.

Well, aside from philosophical there are technical constraints preventing watches from becoming phone replacements i.e. battery capacity. Stuff like the new IP6 over BTLE in the Bluetooth 4.1 spec will help things along quite a bit, but even that will take quite a while to propagate. Routers with BTLE support won't become mainstream overnight.

MC Hawking posted:

So here's a pretty stupid question:

What exactly can Wear do if you have Google Now turned off? What function does it lose if Google Now is turned off? Push notifications? Weather updates?

I know it'd be kinda silly to have a wearable without it enabled, but humor me here.

Only thing you'd lose is Now cards in the card stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Lollipop 5.1 for Wear announced/rolling out

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Another useless gimmick.

The only impractical thing about it is the idea that any of the current-gen watches are female friendly. Otherwise for narrow usecases it seems like the legit successor to Latitude in the way G+ Locations never really lived up to.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I really hoped that leaked case is the bigger version. 45mm is just way too big - I want to see some ~40mm designs.

The OG Moto 360 VS Moto360 small edition comparison leak looks promising:

As for a smaller vs larger 360 2015 comparison, the picture the Lenovo CEO leaked months ago is still the best reference:

Ixian posted:

Huh, missed that. Interesting - since Wear is supposed to be "stock" and not to be modified by OEMs I wonder how they managed it, unless they are the guinea pigs for across the board LTE support in Wear?

Still wouldn't buy it, it's a drag on battery in a device that really can't spare any as it is as well as yet another wireless bill, but I get that somebody out there would find it useful. They might as well throw a speaker in the thing too or at least a more complete BT radio for hands free, then it would basically be a tiny, crappier phone you wore on your wrist. Which, lets be honest, people would buy anyway.

Could just be a feature of 1.3 which they haven't mentioned yet. Architecturally Wear is for the most part just Android with a different System UI/Launcher APK, so if it exists in phones the groundwork is already laid for it to exist on watches. The engineering effort really goes into exposing existing features in a way that makes sense e.g. Third party watchfaces are really just live wallpapers under the hood (which is why watchfaces were able to hack their way into being interactive before the official way).

I don't think excessive battery drain/poor battery life is a foregone conclusion, since it's likely that Google would implement it much the same way as Wifi - as a fall back for when bluetooth connection isn't possible. So if you used it like other Wear devices, this supposed Urbane LTE would pretty much be the Wear equivalent of the Motorola Maxx series (device with a huge battery).

Pork Pie Hat posted:

We're not going to see Project Soli enabled watches until Q1 2016 at the earliest are we?

It's part of ATAP, so it'll only get a roadmap into consumer technology once it moves out of ATAP.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Rastor posted:

Surprise! The Huawei Watch can now be preordered on Amazon for release on September 2.

Color choices:
Stainless Steel with Black Suture Leather Strap, $349
Black Stainless Steel with Black Stainless Steel Link Band, $449
Gold Plated Stainless Steel with Brown Suture Leather Strap, $699
Gold Plated Stainless Steel with Gold Plated Stainless Steel, $799

quote:

Compatible with most devices with an iOS 8.2 or Android 4.3 or later operating system

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
AndroidWear.rss:

LastInLine posted:

I like the stainless steel link band. Really the only thing that scares me on the Huawei watch is a lack of Qi which just seems way more reliable over time than pogo pins are going to be.

Any reliability issues would happen on the charger side (which can easily be replaced, with or without warranty), not the watch side. Qi only has its own downside compared to other watches: no access to ADB sideload (which is totally a thing a watch needs). Though I guess nothing stops Motorola selling an official cable to the hidden pogo pins underneath the strap to consumers one day, instead of keeping it to themselves.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Any loss in functionality by using iOS? It doesn't seem so, which is great for the platform if so.

The limitation is no 3rd party apps which aren't watchfaces, so you'll only get system apps in the Demand screen/Launcher. Verge hands-on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWsid6C6jbU

TBF the Googler says "for the initial release", but even if isn't a technical problem with porting the Wear app model (bundling Watch APKs with phone apps) App store rules prevent a 3rd party app advertising support for competing platforms so there's definitely a marketing one.

LastInLine posted:

How do you know it's on the charger end? I'm genuinely curious as my old Logitech Harmony ended up refusing to charge on its pogo-pinned cradle and as far as I could tell both ends looked fine, it just stopped working. Do the other watches that have proprietary charger problems (was it the LGs? I wasn't paying attention too closely) use a similar connector?

Part general knowledge (the most typical failure cases are the plating coming off the pin side) and part experience: I got the original G Watch on launch (aka boxy mini-Nexus 5 strapped to your wrist) and it had a flaw in its early firmware where it passed current through the contacts when not on the charger causing corrosion when it interacted with sweat. I didn't bother swapping it last year (effort/shame), so when the watch started intermittently charging earlier this year I just assumed it had finally tapped out so went through Google Play warranty. The replacement shipped with some prototype early build with weird icons, so decided to make what I assumed was last ditch attempt to pull data off the old watch via ADB to compare/contrast(as normal people do) and found out it charged perfectly and the new watch didn't charge on the old charger at all. Could always be a QA coincidence and not the corrosion/friction of the first watch which damaged the pins in the first place but either way not my problem.

Pretty sure every non-360 watch minus the Sony Smartwatch 3 (which uses microusb directly) and the Samsung Live (which has a flawed design causing it to break off the body and damage the watch) charges via a microUSB pogo dock of some kind and they've had no widespread issues.

quote:

Looking at the bezel size on the 360/2 versus the Huawei, I really can't see a difference in thinness that makes the flat tire an acceptable compromise, especially when the model of Huawei I would want is only going to be $400.

Unless they've buried it under the screen like Apple Watch the Huawei probably doesn't have an ambient light sensor (if you care about that).

bull3964 posted:

I really hope that is sarcasm.

Yup, non-Developers have no need of it since the Wear OTA rollouts are short even if you lose the lottery. Still worth pointing out in case it's a priority.

Qi is a definite advantage, but the pogo docks are so small/the battery life on other watches is so much better than the OG 360 that it really isn't that big a deal in practice.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Androidwear.rss

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Huawei watch impressions embargo seems to have lifted:

Android Central
Pocketnow
Phandroid
Android Police

Looks really nice, I'll definitely pick one up at some point. Integrating the USB cable into its charging dock is kind of annoying but I'll get over it.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 2, 2015

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Moto 360 2015 embargo lifted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-2015-moto-360

http://pocketnow.com/2015/09/02/moto-360-hands-on

http://phandroid.com/2015/09/02/moto-360-sport-everything-to-know-2015/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/2/9242811/new-moto-360-smartwatch-2015-price-specs-date

MKHD

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/02/moto-360-2nd-gen-quick-overview-and-tour/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/hands-on-with-the-new-moto-360-righting-the-wrongs-of-the-original-version/

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 2, 2015

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

blinking beacon nose posted:

Some of the controls make no God damned sense. (Old Moto360 here.)

Long press the watch face, the screen that's active most of the time, to change watch faces? I don't need access to other watch faces on demand. I especially don't need access to them on accident.

The only times I have the watchface switcher pop up uninvited is when the screen is wet or when the UI kept locking up in one of the previous updates.

Maybe it's a #roundwatch thing? I can't even figure out how to reproduce it on purpose. The most obvious way (folding arms) just activates the palm screen gesture.

Skywalker OG posted:

I'm asking this because I have the G Watch and it's a bit stuttery. Would performance be any better on these new ones if they're using the same soc?

Depends on exactly what the "Snapdragon 400" in the new devices ends up being. The 400 in pre-IFA Wear devices (aka everything which isn't the 360 2014) was only single core since 3 out of the 4 cores was disabled. The new watches might be using the identically named dual core Krait version of the 400. Or maybe they're using the quad core 400, but Qualcomm was able to tweak the architecture such that 2 cores out of the 4 can run with a similar footprint to last year (and then kept the same name to make things as confusing as possible). Or maybe it really is exactly the same so performance is exactly the same.

There's no way to know until Arstechnica/Anandtech post full reviews of the IFA watches.

Rastor posted:

Huawei Watch vs. Moto 360 2015. Lots of pictures included.

I think JR Raphael's take over at Computer World did a better job at highlighting the differences: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2984496/android/huawei-watch-new-moto-360.html

Reverse Centaur posted:

Basically "pay $50 to have the flat tire removed."

I can understand why it may be a bit more difficult for those who actually have access to motomaker in their country, or really really love qi charging, but otherwise...

For me the killer blow is the fact that AP ripped open a Huawei Watch and confirmed it has a speaker:

Given the Phandroid blogger who leaked 1.3 in its entirety has come out and said he was already told by an insider that it had hidden hardware and back in May the AP head said Wear was due speaker support it seems pretty clear Google intends to release it as part of the AW Marshmallow update.

Credit due to Samsung - I thought watch phone calls was a stupid idea 2 years ago, but after seeing Apple Watch in action I'm a complete convert. Though to be fair, Samsung Gear 1 ad didn't exactly help my initial bias:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nJKWJTsUg

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOJWjsLT5M

Tag Heuer Wear event livestream starts in a minute or so. The new Wear OS version with speaker support will probably drop during/after so worth a look.

Yeah I noticed the grille on the Zenwatch 2 even before someone opened it up, just forgot to post about it.

The Moto 360 2015 is most likely also part of the speaker club, going by the "assembly slot" picture in Ron Amadeo's review:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Rastor posted:

This stream is just old white dudes patting each other on the back for their great work producing a new expensive luxury product.

If you're interested in actual info, I'd recommend browsing the website they set up:

http://www.tagheuerconnected.com/

I was working from the faulty assumption that they wouldn't release a "luxury" product with an old OS available on existing watches. My bad.

The Urbane 2 LTE drops on Friday so they have to announce an update some day this week at least. AT&T even has it's own promo video, complete with random dogfood icons on the watch for that authentic Google touch:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

uPen posted:

Titanium body, sapphire screen and most importantly Tag Heuer logo on it. According to the verge you have the option to have the internals swapped out for traditional analog when you realize you bought a $1500 swatch.

From what I gathered from the livestream you actually have to pay another $1500 on top of the original $1500 you paid in order to get it swapped out. And that's only after you've had it for 2 years.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gLwk8o9LW0

Overview of the new Wear 2.0 UX (A bit developerish but not too bad).

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 18, 2016

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

LastInLine posted:

This seems lovely.

e: I love the Hangouts overflow menu being located exactly where the light sensor is on the 360. That should be super convenient for when I can't use it even if I wanted to.

The notification scheme seems really, really bad.

Pretty much had the same gag reflex to the notification changes, but the justifications they gave today during today's Wear livestream sort of made sense.

Having the most common interaction involve a giant block of white wasn't the best for social discretion or OLED health/power use.

Still not hot about the back button swipe being deprecated and the main hardware button being mapped to back. The original G Watch doesn't even have a button, so it's either dropped or getting a dumb software nav.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Secondly, and still the thing all us 1.5 fans want, there's still not a way to see at a glance what the notification is.

If you haven't found it already 2.9's new "Notification Preview" complication under the "General" category for the long complication template does what you ask:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
WIRED has an exclusive deep dive on Google's plans

Lots of tidbits (New wearable Fitbit app coexisting with the Google Fit app, Google Assistant update planned for 2022 etc) so worth a read.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
The Verge seem to have prempted a Google blog post with more information about the new Wear OS update

• It's called Wear OS 3
  • Nothing gets updated except 4100 TicWatches and the Q4 2021 Fossils
  • Eligible devices won't be updated till Q2 2022, will require a hardware reset, and may not even run it well

Somewhat predictable, but nice to have it written in stone.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Samsung broke embargo during their Unpacked keynote (as per usual):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAAGvRf0OU4

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Samsung Keynote is has been Watch 4 from the beginning (~12 minutes now) so worth a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ixp-XwqGI

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Len posted:

Source?

$349 according to the keynote 5 minutes ago:

(was too slow to get a clean capture of the whole slide, Samsung have disabled rewind/seeking in their livestream)

Google post up: https://blog.google/products/wear-os/galaxy-watch4/

Has a pre-order link (which is broken for me). EDIT: Links to this Samsung Press release

Seems like Wear OS 3's marketing name will be "Wear OS powered by Samsung", which sure puts the mid-2022 upgrade path for the TicWatch Pro 3 etc & Q4 Fossil's launching with Wear OS 2 in a new light. Looks like Google had to give a few backroom concessions to get Samsung onboard. Even the prominence of Samsung Health apps on the wearable seems to be a walk back from the messaging they were doing just around IO:

quote:

This also means the end of the road for Samsung's S-Health, although Samsung will allow S-Health data to be exported over into Google's Fit app. "Beloved Samsung services like Samsung Health will continue to be core to the Galaxy experience and available on Galaxy smartwatches. For the users who have enjoyed Samsung Health service, the service will continue on the new unified platform and data is exportable to the new unified platform. Samsung Health is not part of the new platform," Samsung confirmed via email.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/google-samsung-are-combining-to-reboot-android-watches-with-a-dose-of-fitbit-too/

(though tbh reading it back they are arguably doing what they said they'll do since the Samsung wearable health apps aren't called Samsung Health. Well played Samsung).

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 11, 2021

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the point of the Fitbit app on a smartwatch, when it doesn't use the watches sensors for anything?

Part of it is probably just to get a MVP out of the door (the article does prefix that with *this year*). The other likely reason is that Google is still early in the process of ingesting/Googlifying Fitbit so are still hammering out the details on what their roadmap is and which software/features to keep exclusive. i.e. They risk not being able to differentiate their own brand trackers/watches if they go too far down one direction (and they're already in a pretty bad place). Then again, every Wear OS device becoming a de facto Fitbit would allow them to sell more subscriptions which would also make sense. So they're just being conservative while they feel out where they want to go.

FWIW it does seem as though Google Fit is on course to being Google Video'd into Fitbit one way or another, with Fitbit becoming the general consumer health brand. Plenty of smoke, such as multiple Google Fit Googler's changing their profiles over to Fitbit, including the head of the platform itself.

feedmyleg posted:

2) Does getting the LTE model mean that I can leave my phone at home (assuming I have a compatible network)?

3) If so, can I still make phone calls using bluetooth headphones?

Yeah, current LTE Wear OS 2 devices already do this. Notification bridging and standalone apps switching over to cellular works as expected. The issue has historically been with the sporadic support for sharing the same number across Watch and Phone, since that requires intervention by the carrier (e.g. in UK/Europe only Vodafone supported unified number for the TicWatch Pro 3 LTE). Samsung should have enough power to sign those deals for the Watch4.

quote:

4) Am I going to be forced to touch anything else from the Samsung Ecosystem if I have a Pixel 4?

Seems to me that if you're allergic to Samsung you're better off just waiting, Watch4 is a Samsung product which just happens to run WearOS. According to 9to5Google it can't even be set up via the Wear OS app:

quote:

Like when Samsung was using Tizen, the new Galaxy Watch 4 based on Wear OS uses Samsung’s Galaxy Wearable app to get connected to your phone. The Wear OS app from Google will not see or be able to interact with the Galaxy Watch 4 in any capacity.

https://9to5google.com/2021/08/11/galaxy-watch-4-pairing-process-wear-os/

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Catching up on the news after waking up... There's no google assistant at launch?!

To be fair on Samsung that's all on Google, they were subtly saying this to journalists back in May:

quote:

Many of these changes will arrive later this year alongside the launch of the new Wear, but some updates—like a redesigned Google Assistant—will come in early 2022.

https://www.wired.com/story/google-wear-os-io-samsung-fitbit-partnership/

Makes you wonder if Prosser's supposed "Pixel Watch" will launch in Fall, since the negative articles would pretty much write themselves if they launched it without GA. Branding it as a Fitbit Sense/Versa would maybe give that a pass, but the acquistion seems too early for that. Or maybe they'll do it Pixel Buds 2 style: soft announcement and then actually ship months later after everyones forgot about it.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
A more charitable explanation would be that Google have created a new Wear OS operator tier which allows OEMs to use their own companion app instead of the Wear OS app if they so choose to.

The status quo is that OEMs already create defacto phone companion apps to interface with their custom preloaded watch apps/services, so Google modularizing the phone setup/admin processes and allowing OEMs to embed them makes quite a bit of sense on multiple fronts:

• For the average user, it cuts down the number of phone apps down to just one instead of being split between across two arbitrarily.
  • For OEMs/brands it allows them greater ownership of the customer.
  • It's alot easier for OEMs/brands to keep up the pretence that their smartwatch isn't generic when the 1st run experience isn't to send the user to a store listing with hundreds of people complaining about their particular model of watch

The only segment this sort of approach would be a step back for is those who have multiple watches since if it became widespread, the Wear OS app's dropdown becomes less and less universal since it only sees your Wear OS 1/2 and "Stock" Wear OS 3+ devices so you'd have to bounce around more to do phone management.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Prosser seems to have legit insider google info so I think they're at least experimenting with a pixel watch.

Another possibility is that he could be half-right but its branded as a "Android Developer Watch", ADW-1. That would allow them to get around the enemic 1st party support and rough edges unscathed, not compete with Samsung and get developers to build up an ecosystem for the 2022 launch all in one swoop.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Flossy Carter seemingly ignored whatever the embargo is and posted one of his "real reviews" over the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0x2Kr57W9Y

Fairly in-depth (52 minutes) so you should be able to seek around and get an answer to whatever question you have. Or watch the entire thing if you enjoy his shtick.

Answered the most important thing for me, bundled notifications from 1.0 are seemingly back:

Unclear whether its innate (the current Wear OS 3 emulator just has the awful 2.0 implementation of listing every one individually) or a OneUI thing which Samsung added (because IIRC their Tizen watches bundled notifications) but its something I'll stand up and clap for.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
The Verge review up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5DlpONIW5M

https://www.theverge.com/22629459/galaxy-watch-4-classic-review-bixby-google-wearos

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's not like it had to be either or. The lack of a larger option just kills it for me.

Multiple leakers are saying there will be:

https://twitter.com/heyitsyogesh/status/1519181042799632384

https://twitter.com/chunvn8888/status/1519277145914179584

Though only way to know for sure is to wait two weeks.

Calaveron posted:

The wristbands are just fitbit infinity bands. I don't get it, doesn't google own fitbit? Why don't they just go all in on fitbits? Fitbit already has a bigger marketshare than an unproven new smartwatch produced by a notoriously flaky company that abandons whatever they're doing pretty quickly

Despite the design language similiarity the bands have a different connector to the Versa 3/Sense so doesn't seem like they'll be interoperable.

quote:

I don't get it, doesn't google own fitbit? Why don't they just go all in on fitbits? Fitbit already has a bigger marketshare than an unproven new smartwatch produced by a notoriously flaky company that abandons whatever they're doing pretty quickly

I think given the general uncertainity around getting the Fitbit acquistion past regulators (the deal was only finalized in January 2021) it made total sense at the time for the Pixel Hardware team to hedge their bets and greenlight their own Wear OS 3 reference device given engineering timeframes. While they could've branded it a "Fitbit" anyway, I think the Nest -> Google Home debacle informed their decision not to. Worst comes to worst they can always pull a Nest Hub and out of the blue say "your Pixel Watch is now Fitbit Pixel".

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
The Google Health closure/org reshuffle from a few months back seems to have caused a significant pivot from the original "Fitbit are working on Wear OS devices" plan from last year, because the Fitbit CEO is now in charge of wearables across Google and has reformed things in his image:

quote:

Do you see the Pixel Watch being [an indicator of] the future direction for Fitbit's watches?

I think the way it all works together is really about price and feature set. I see Pixel Watch as being for the user who wants LTE and all the advanced health and fitness features, but there's always going to be people for whom some of that stuff isn't necessarily important. For them, a tracker with the most advanced health capabilities is going to be the device that they want, which is our Charge device -- it has all the latest health sensors, is slim, and has long battery life. The great thing about combining Pixel and Fitbit is that we're able to collectively offer these different devices. People can pick and choose what's best for them.

quote:

Will your Sense and Versa watches continue to be part of the future?

Some of the advantages of Sense and Versa will always continue. Those devices and the trackers have always had incredible battery life; they've been at fairly accessible prices for people. Those will continue to be very important.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/fitbits-founder-on-the-google-pixel-watch-and-the-future-of-fitbit/

i.e. Doesn't seem like they're going to Google things up by releasing competing square Wear OS watches against the Pixel Watch. Instead they'll dedicate the "App smartwatch" category to the Pixel brand and have Fitbit hardware cover everything else.

Also lol:

quote:

I was curious about Google Fit. Do you see Fitbit and Fit working together more on the Pixel Watch?

I think for now, Google Fit and the Fitbit app are just going to continue as is -- I don't think we want to interrupt the experience for either set of users. Both user groups, which are fairly substantial, like the app they are using for a variety of reasons. For now, we don't see any reason to change that.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Calaveron posted:

How did they drop the ball so bad on this, the pixel watch is hideous and years out dated even before release. Why a round screen? Round is an awful form factor for a smart watch and they should know this. Goon upthread or in another thread put it the most succinctly that it's like reading your messages through a porthole

Calaveron posted:

Legit question, why? On the renders showing text messages on the screen the messages were only readable once they reached the center of the watch and not a moment sooner or later. Plus the giant bezels make it feel like when you're trying to focus a microscope for the first time

Going Round isn't pure downside, it's a tradeoff.

A Round watchface trades slightly worse information density in listviews for aesthetically superior Watchface & Widgets, and since the later is where the majority of smartwatch "interaction" takes place the choice between Round vs Square isn't really cut and dry. Good smartwatch experiences aren't information dense to begin with and center interactive parts, so the line or so information loss isn't fatal in practice.

As for the Pixel's bezel, existing round watches e.g. Garmin Venu, Galaxy Watch 4 do a better job at hiding necessary display driver tech via decoration compared to Google's renders. In actual use, it will probably be akin to the iPhone X+ notch where it becomes invisible in every day use unless you go out of your way to look for it. Though not denying it would've been impressive if they did somehow leapfrog the industry with an Edge to edge to display which made it look like a Ressence Type 3:

Also the "Watch has 4 year old chip, it's doomed!!!" story seems to have evolved into "Google's making Tensor for watches, using Samsung's prev gen watch chip the same way they used a previous gen Samsung chip for phones. Maybe it's good???" https://9to5google.com/2022/05/20/pixel-watch-ram-co-processor-specs/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Google Fit's longevity becomes less convincing every time the Fitbit CEO answers that question:

quote:

Is this a watch you're going to want to use mainly Fitbit for? Where does Google Fit come into the picture there? Do you see that those two intertwining or are they going to remain pretty separate?

Google Fit will continue to exist. But, you know, we consider [the] Fitbit experience to be the flagship primary health experience for Google users.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/googles-james-park-the-pixel-watch-is-just-the-beginning-of-fitbits-crossover/

To me Google Fit currently having the most feature complete Health Connect implementation seems more out of pragmaticism/circumstance than long-term commitment to it as a product: since Fit is their original attempt at a Health API for Android, integrating with Health Connect as aggressively as possible is table stakes to cement HC as the ecosystems replacement before the Fit Android API's deprecation in 2024.

From the same interview, Fitbit being write-only doesn't seem to be a permanent state of affairs:

quote:

So I think that's a big way to unlock even more potential, us being able to import data from other devices and services, especially ones that we wouldn't develop ourselves. And then the inverse, which is exporting Fitbit health and fitness data to other services as well.

My guess would be that Google/Fitbit are rearchitecting the Fitbit database to be more flexible with non-Fitbit data sources, with the V2 rollout timed with the mandatory Google account's in 2023.

If nothing else, Google Fit fails the Google blog/Linkedin test: all of the named Google Fit employees from the blog mysteriously became Fitbit employees in 2021. Historically an older competing app being moved into newer apps department hasn't gone well for the former.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

I've been using health sync for ages. It's a third party app. Not sure if Health Connect does a better job?

Nah, HC is still early days in terms of support. It's promising that they mostly seem to be keeping to the timeframe they stated at Google IO (Google Fit/Samsung Health/Fitbit by "Fall 2022"). HC being positioned as a White label intermediary database makes it more likely that Garmin will come onboard this time round (though they'll probably be Write only like their iOS Healthkit integration).

T.C. posted:

I have a Garmin watch that I like, but I'm considering switching to a WearOS smartwatch with LTE to help give myself more of an excuse to leave my phone at home occasionally.

I'd say stick with Garmin and take another look in a year. By then there should be some momentum from Google taking the category seriously* and your LTE use case gaps may be filled.

(* seriously meaning doing the bare minimum and keeping the WearOS versions on their services updated/competitive/actually existing)

Don't Ask posted:

Now I'm wondering if the Pixel Watch has any advantages over the Watch 4/5. It's pretty much worse in all regards including price, right?

Day 1 access to Wear OS betas + being married to Samsung Health for workout/health data creation if Google continue being restrictive about the native wearable Fitbit app (by keeping it Google hardware only and/or forcing some sort of "Powered by Fitbit" branding/certification which Samsung has historically avoided.)

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Come on Fitbit and enable that integration!

It came live today (assuming you haven't already seen).

foutre posted:

I've got like a day to buy/get reimbursed for a fitness tracker through work; given I've got big wrists is a Galaxy Watch 5 kind of the go-to option atm?

Realistically I do already have a Garmin so this will probably end up getting regifted but seems a shame to waste the perk, and I do kind of want to see if I end up actually using watch apps vOv.

GW5 is the only big Wear OS 3+ option atm (until Google stop holding the Assistant hostage from Qualcomm chips at least).

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

It's 100% Google Fit wonkiness. By design Health Connect does next to no processing on its own, its completely up to the app developer to decide what to do with the centralized data.

Google Fit purposely went out of it's way to merge/curate data in an opinionated way even before HC:

quote:

The Google Fit platform reviews all the information available for a specific data type from different sources and merges it in a logical way. For example, a user tracks a run with their smart watch and their phone. The step counts from their watch and phone are merged to get the most complete step count. When merging data, watch data is prioritised over phone data (prioritisation avoids counting duplicate steps). The Google Fit platform returns this accurate, merged information when you read the data type.

Fit already had jank just with it's own Android API + Cloud API, so adding a third competing external API just compounds things. Yesterday I had Fit's "Most recent workout" card flicker between Google Fit's autodetected walk and Fitbit's workout on refresh. After about about 20 minutes, the Fitbit workout seemingly won and had Fit heart points attributed to it. Later in the day, Google Fit decided to merge the workout into to the "walk", duration and all. Somehow this dropped the heart points 10 fold (despite the heart data/graph still being available for the "walk").

Things will eventually resolve on the Google side (either by Fit getting bugfixes and/or Google building that aggregation functionality into the Fitbit app from the ground up). As for others, it'll probably follow the iOS Healthkit trajectory of most health apps settling on the median of writing their dedicated hardwares stats to the centralized store, but only importing Height/weight/workouts.

hooah posted:

Maybe someone here knows how to fix this. On my Galaxy Watch4, when I get a notification I'll feel the vibration, but when I look at my watch, it shows a digital time a bit above center (not my normal watch face) with a blurred-out version of the notification behind it. I have to tap the watch to actually read the notification. Did I turn on some weird setting somewhere? I can't find anything relevant in the Galaxy Wear app.

Yeah, that's the major Samsungism I saw in a review which stopped me from getting a GW4 last year. I've been tracking this thread since last year and nothing seems to have changed: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/galaxy-watch-4-notifications-showing-clock-over-notification/td-p/3918269

Outside of turning off AOD, your only choices are to join the mob on Samsung forums/pray they change their mind or take a chance ADB sideloading this random redditors APK workaround

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Blech, the Pixel Watch 2 moves to pogo pins for charging, a slap in the face to anyone that might have bought an extra charger for the OG watch.

One thing Google PR shadow dropped to 9to5Google/PCMag is that while it lost compatibility with the Pixel Watch 1 charger, it gained compatibility with the Fitbit Versa/Sense charger. So when those models fail within warranty and FItbit offer their classic "replacement or 50% off anything at Fitbit.com" faustian deal, the upsell to the Pixel Watch 2 becomes more attractive. Would unfortunately suggest they're in it for the long haul as Fitbit always excludes latest models from that deal i.e. they're targetting this "synergy" for next year post-Pixel Watch 3.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Could be that the new "Continue with Google" account system clashes with the old "Sign In with Google" infrastructure they used to have pre-2023 and somehow they didn't notice (lol). Maybe try https://myaccount.google.com/ -> Security -> Your Connections with Third Party apps and services -> See all connections and delete any entries for Fitbit there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

The Health Connect integration GIF creates more questions than answers on how well it actually works in practice. The Health Connect tag on the Step goal suggests that its not completely silo'd and some Fitbit rings can be closed via Health connect, yet said Step Goal count is less than half of the shown native Fitbit tracker count and the Me tab HC sections Oura ring count. I'll be optimistic and chalk it up to it being fake data for their marketing and not that Google's built from the ground up replacement also managed to recreate Fit's data latency issues. Guess we'll find out since Google will probably start strongarming companies like Niantic to switch since the old Google Fit system is due to be shut down this year,

CLAM DOWN posted:

(blanked out spots are just people I've set as "priority" conversations so I see their display pic in the notification bar)

Is there a Notification sound set within those custom conversation channels (which I assume are the ones not working)? Unlike non-Google platforms WearOS abides 100% to Android "law" and only vibrates if theres a sound set or the vibrate toggle for the channel is on (which corresponds internally to "IMPORTANCE_DEFAULT" ranking). Notifications which don't make a Sound/Vibrate are "IMPORTANCE_LOW", which by default don't trigger the Notification dot (and you don't get a choice to switch it back on with a watch)

EDIT: Actually looked at your second screenshot and saw the "None". Maybe Google Messages has a bug where they're not explicitly adding vibration to the Incoming messages notification channel (the Vibration toggle only controls whether a notifications attached vibration patterns can go through) and nobody noticed because their dev team all have their phones on vibrate 24/7, so they're getting the automatic "Notification sound -> Vibrate" vibration.

If that's the case setting the Default notification sound back on will fix it.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 27, 2024