Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

I actually have a use case for a smart watch now! I'm quite shocked, but I'm going to roll with it.

While I do get some use out of it for notifications, the primary use of it is for directions while driving and to control music. I've been using a Pebble, and it works fine. That said, would an Android Wear device work better? Battery life isn't a concern.

Notifications are good, Navigation is good, and controlling music is good most of the time. That said, being able to trigger google now and voice command it to play whatever song / album along with text messages etc, I believe it's an upgrade. In my opinion though, controlling music is better on the Pebble.

Related : updated my G watch to 5.1.1 and it's seen a very noticeable increase in battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

The only real control I need for music is to be able to play it again after it is paused - does that work alright?

Also, does the OG LG G Watch support pairing with bluetooth headphones? I know some AW devices do, and I'd love to be able to leave my phone behind at the gym.

most of the time. The issue I've had (but not lately, it's sporadic but may have been fixed with updates) is that I'd have the music controls just flat out not show up on the watch. Get in my car, connect bluetooth and music starts playing, but the watch doesn't reflect that.

I can't confirm bluetooth headphone functionality, but I'd be quite surprised if it didn't work.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rubicon posted:

I got my LG G watch on monday.

Every night, when I go to charge it, I have to restart it before it will start charging. I've factory reset it three times, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I can live with it, but I'm still hoping there is a fix.

I've had mine for quite a while now, and it's done that to me a couple times recently.

edit : I can confirm that the charger is horribly finicky, but it was in my case a reboot that did it. I've fussed with the connection for 10 minutes before to no avail when it usually just takes no more than 20 seconds. shutting down the watch would then immediately trigger the 'charging' icon, followed by the watch booting itself back up.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 17, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

It seriously takes 20 seconds on a good day? :wtc:

20 might have been a bit of hyperbole, but still the point is the charger (and more specifically the contacts on the watch) is trash.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The only apps I really actively use are GolfPad Golf GPS and Hangouts. Everything else is "ok google" commands, music control, and notifications.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MikeyLikesIt posted:

What are your most used "Ok Google" commands? I want to see what kind of things the watch can do.

ok google, set a timer for x minutes, send a text to soandso, play #artist #album, navigate to #place, and miscellaneous short answer google searches.

it'll do basically anything you can open the google app and shout at it to do, without the watch.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MikeyLikesIt posted:

How's sending messages work on this thing? I assume you're able to make canned responses that you can send out for different situations? Or can I do voice-to-text?

yes, and yes. You can use the screen to select canned responses, or you can speak your own.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The first time you try to launch maps from your watch it tells you that you need to accept some terms and conditions on the phone app itself. Just try starting navigation once from your phone to somewhere and see if your watch reacts.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Whenever you unbind the watch and connect it to a phone again, the watch is wiped. Apps just sync themselves again if they're installed on the phone. You might have to tweak one or two settings again, but it's otherwise pretty easy.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Grabbed an LG Watch Style the other day from Best Buy. It's snappy as hell, but the battery life is seriously terrible compared to my original LG G Watch and Urbane. With modestly low use and screen always on, I'm at 10 percent or less battery at the end of the day. I recently gave up on samsung hardware (S7Active / Gear 3 Frontier) in favor of a Pixel and back to android wear. In non-thread applicable news I might have a Gear S2 Classic (ATT 3G) and Gear S3 Frontier for sale, soon.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 23, 2017

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I took my style back. Battery live was atrocious.

I'm considering it, and just ordering a Zenwatch 3 on Amazon. Now i'm just annoyed because BB is an hour drive away. I guess this will work out considering i'm kind of self-conscious about the Style and the tiny band making me look like i'm wearing a lady's watch.

Edit : gently caress it. pulled the trigger. Zenwatch 3 inbound from amazon, and the 'optional battery pack' inbound from BHPhoto. (no watch survives a full day at work AND 9 holes of golf afterwards)

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 23, 2017

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The Gear S3 is amazing for 90 percent of use cases, provided you don't care much about a good experience talking to the watch. S-Pay on it with the mag stripe tech on it makes you feel like a goddamn nerd wizard. Battery life is top notch too (at least on the Frontier). Only other minor complaint is only 3rd party google maps / nav integration. The little issues like those are what brought me from at first a "i can deal with these things because the device is otherwise so loving good" attitude to "gently caress it this thing is working against me and I hate it nothing is convenient" over the course of 6 months with Tizen.

The huatch 2 disappoints me greatly. But : personal preferences and whatnot.

Thanks to the few of you with ZenWatches for reinforcing my decision.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 24, 2017

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Is there a way on the ZW3 to stop the system UI stuff from being tinted gold? gently caress off, Asus, give me stock android wear.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

after a few days with the Zenwatch 3, and being very unimpressed with it software-wise, I've decided to throw the one custom rom on there that XDA has, since the latest rumor leaks are that we shouldn't expect AW2.0 until "early 2nd quarter". Well : so far the watch is much smoother. before, it was janky as hell.. super choppy, and a lot of delays when doing simple things. After getting said rom installed, it now performs much better... about as good as my urbane. I was truly spoiled by how silky smooth the otherwise terrible LG Style was.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

How's the battery life on that ZW3 ROM? I've never flashed to a watch before, was it straightforward?

so far, this is my first day with it, and the battery life seems to be the same as stock.

it's pretty straightforward if you've flashed phones before.

step 1 : enable developer mode, reboot to fastboot, unlock the bootloader
step 2 : boot to TWRP (don't install TWRP, just boot it from the .img)
step 3 : copy the rom over to /sdcard
step 4 : wipe in TWRP, install the rom.
step 5 : boot the watch, run busybox, install busybox.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not too bad, might try it.

Is there any way to disable the controls that appear on my watch during a phone call? I don't need them and they're annoying since sometimes after a call they stick around on the screen. By controls I mean the microphone, volume, and hang up screens that appear during a call.

ZenWatch Manager on your phone > Tools > FoneHelper > Remote call control.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

playing with 2.0 for a couple of days before returning the Style was... ok. a few things were nice, but my major complaint were that i could see very little of notifications before having to expand it. Like, a hangouts message would show me 2 words whereas the cards that pop up before 2.0 had at least the first sentence.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Honestly, the gear S3 is the best smartwatch on the market, it just needs OK Google instead of S Voice, and more app support.

Spec and hardware design wise, yes. Samsung's software drove it to the drawer in my nightstand.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Len posted:

Is there anything else wrong with it? Because it gets through a full day and I charge my phone nightly soooooooooooooo

It's a good device for you, then.

For me, on the average day, it'd be at 10 percent or lower when I went to bed. 9 holes of golf after work would undoubtedly murder it. To me this is unacceptable because I don't want it to die on any day that might be slightly longer than 'average'. My original LG watch, My Urbane, and now my Zenwatch 3 all are at 45-55 percent at the end of an average day.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

This is a Misfit Vapor right?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

so there's another small incremental update for the Zenwatch 3 that just landed (MGW68). There were reports that the one previous to this had improved performance for some people, but I saw no gain then. it was a choppy turd. However, the newest MGW68 has been going for a couple days now and i've not seen it bog down. So, that's nice.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Brought out my old Urbane to see how android wear 2.0 handles on it.

Pretty ok. UI is buttery smooth most of the time, but slow load times and mini-freezes are pretty common.

More importantly, notification readability issues I had with the LG Style are not there. Notifications are full screen and have lots of content, so overall it's pretty good.

Battery life so far today (first day with it at work) seems to be about the same as it always got.

I'm looking forward to see how it runs on the Zenwatch3.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Well which one is it? Buttery smooth or does it have frequent freezing and slow load times?

it's what I said it is. Compared to the Zenwatch 3, which is choppy and lovely %90 percent of the time, the watch is buttery smooth.

example : it might take it half a second longer to load the list of apps.. but once it's loaded, it scrolls nicely. currently on the ZW3, it may load the list half a second faster, but it's choppy and stutters. Same with apps like hangouts. longer loads, takes longer to load a conversation thread if you launch the app. might freeze up every now and then during the loading of said thread.. but once it gets its poo poo together and gets the thread loaded... it's smooth.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

because i'm a retarded childless nerd manchild with disposable income : went to the Verizon store and picked up a Wear24 after work. When your cell plan includes like 5 people, 5 bucks additional plus taxes and fees is insignificant.

interestingly, it doesn't ship with android wear 2.0.. but ... a system update over the course of the next hour remedied the situation.

Pros :
looks decent. good size.
smooth as silk, super fast. no delays in anything.

Cons :
meh rubber strap, which is screwed in. little hope for better at this point.
setup *implies* i need to use verizon's messaging app for the number syncing / calling over LTE. will be screwing around over the next week.
super weak vibration motor

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

ok now what the gently caress. the single button on this thing no longer opens up the apps list. it does everything else it's supposed to, but I can't open the apps list. cool.

there's no setting anywhere for what the button does. i've rebooted the watch. guess next step is factory wipe.

.. factory reset did the trick. for now.

UPDATE : so : everything was fine until i went in and did some updates on the watch from google play. It happened again. Though, i've noticed i can get the app list if i press the button FOUR Times. wtf. now to uninstall the updates individually until it works properly again. glad it's a slow day at work.

another update : Android Wear. When "Android Wear" app on the watch updated, that's what caused it.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 12, 2017

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

*crickets*

Silenced mode being decoupled from your phone is a pretty huge downside to 2.0.

DND synced between phone and Wear24 on 2.0 perfectly, when I had my pixel. Now that I'm on an s8+, it doesnt. :(

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

looks like Target.com has the Misfit Vapor for $150, and I believe you can take an additional %15 off.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My problem with AW chipsets is this : I've seen the potential of the now aging Qualcomm. The LG Watch Style, while buggy with too tiny of a battery, was snappy and responsive. It ran great for the little bit I had it. I looked forward to the same performance out of the same chip in the Zenwatch 3, but it was a turd. I blame manufacturers for not giving a poo poo about the user experience.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

So what kind of smart watches are they wearing if it's not samsung or apple?

I never seen anyone wearing anything but that.

I see a lot of fitbit smartwatches.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I have a suspicion that Apple Watches are selling very well in large part to the fact that carriers will finance them with zero interest and from what I have seen they tend to be extremely generous in granting credit if you have an established account.

Like invariably people I know absolutely don't have the money to be spending it on an Apple Watch have the red crown.

Yeah. Many find an extra $20 a month for the next 2 years on your cell phone bill being a lot more palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

for what it's worth, lately, not sure if updates solved it or whatever, but my ticwatch pro 4g has solved a major complaint of mine. previously, switching between bluetooth / wifi / lte has been awful. walk away from your phone, come back, and watch is still stuck on LTE. this is no longer the case, and it happily reconnects to bluetooth with no intervention. might be the android 10 update for my note 10+, but I don't know. besides that, turning off motion activation for the screen now results in me being at 80 percent battery at the end of the day, opposed to 50 if i'm lucky before then. I really like this watch now.