Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Good Morning?
Yes, yes it is
Coffee
Tea
Juice
Water
Air
Fire
Earth
View Results

• Locked thread
ulvir

more tea stuff ...

I'm really thinking of getting a proper teapot (and also a thermometer because I love all kinds of teas but they all have different reqs as far as water temperature is concerned, but those are easy to get). any idea on what's like the best kind for all-round use? I know unglazed is bad for this because it will absorb all the oils and stuff, so you'd want to have one pot for one specific type of tea, but other than that I'm at a loss. should I get one with a strainer/filter or without? glazed porcelain/ceramics, metal or glass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
happy Monday

:coffeepal:

be odie not garfield

ulvir

I had sort-of-hungover morning coffee today, it tasted pretty alright apart from the heartburn

alnilam

hung over just means you had fun last night :beerpal: :coffeepal:

e: ...hopefully :ohdear:

ty manifisto

ulvir

yes, it was a fun night. was at a friend's house and we had some really great food and good convos :beerpal:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

ulvir posted:

yes, it was a fun night was at a friend's house and we had some really great food and good convos :beerpal:

same :beerpal:

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
Some smart person on here, i thibnk it was animalman, said to put a paper filter under the French press screen.

Now I use cafe bustelo espresso in there and it's very good.

Thank you animalman! :coffeepal:

alnilam

any time citizen!

for the record, some people like the oils that come out when you french press, but some don't. it's dark roasts that are more oilier. worth giving paper a try if there's something you don't quite like about french-pressed coffe.

ty manifisto

fema crisis actor

Bustelo is cheap espresso roast/grind, so the paper trick makes it less bitter and much cleaner. Photographs two birds with one camera :)

Also I messed up your name because I hoped you would do the same with mine, some suggestions are feta cheese anchor and fifa card actor

Dotcom Jillionaire

Social distortion
"coffee is proof that god loves us and wants us to work 24/7 without ever taking any breaks (except coffee breaks)" - benjamin franklin

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
james bond drinks coffee because he doesn't like what tea did to the empire

ulvir

Spanish Manlove posted:

james bond drinks coffee because he doesn't like what tea did to the empire

I don't like what the empire did to tea "oh hey what a good drink, but it needs enough milk and sugar to not taste it anynore"

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
silence! more tea, slaves

smoobles

Coffee: It Wakes You Up™

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ulvir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raB-aIJkD10

City of Glompton

checking in to say i still love coffee! mmmm coffee. :coffeepal:

smoobles

City of Glompton posted:

checking in to say i still love coffee! mmmm coffee. :coffeepal:

coffee is literally fantastic

----------------

weed cat

I think if I have more coffee today it'll upset my stomach so I'm drinking Earl grey

haunted bear tale
I am going to bed, but I am also already looking forward to my morning coffee when I wake up.

Maybe I'll dream about it. :coffeepal:

ham_sanitizer

professional swine bather

smoobles posted:

coffee is literally fantastic

Afro Doug

ulvir posted:

more tea stuff ...

I'm really thinking of getting a proper teapot (and also a thermometer because I love all kinds of teas but they all have different reqs as far as water temperature is concerned, but those are easy to get). any idea on what's like the best kind for all-round use? I know unglazed is bad for this because it will absorb all the oils and stuff, so you'd want to have one pot for one specific type of tea, but other than that I'm at a loss. should I get one with a strainer/filter or without? glazed porcelain/ceramics, metal or glass?
A cast iron teapot is the best if you can get one cheap.

CV 64 Fan

It's pretty dope.
had some ice coffee this morning. was refreshing.

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
5:40am... too early for coffee :(

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

DeepQantas posted:

5:40am... too early for coffee :(

:stare:

whaaa...?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
just do it

:coffeepal:

weed cat

I just had a white Russian so that's kind of coffee

ulvir

Afro Doug posted:

A cast iron teapot is the best if you can get one cheap.

I ordered a half litre one yesterday actually. really excited :coffeepal:

Enhydra lutris

by FactsAreUseless
I have Two (2) Coffee Questions and seek the Opinions of other Posters on the B.Y.O.B. [Beware Your Own Butt] Forum. Firstly: what is the Appropriate number of Sugars [Tea Spoons thereof] to mix into a Cup of Coffee; I habitually mix Four (4) Sugars into my Coffee; I am told that Four (4) Sugars is Too Many; I am told that I risk Health Complications from this Habit; the Dentist tells me that the Sugars will attack the enamel (Hard Lining) of my Teeth and cause breaches in this Substance that allow Bacteria to access the Pulp therein; this leads to Infections of the Teeth; I have never had an Infection of the Teeth but the Elderly Chinese Veterinary Receptionist has suffered from Three (3) Abscesses; she informs me that there is No Greater Pain On Earth; she says that the Pain is worse than the Pain of Child Birth (Note: Child Birth is intensely painful due to a Woman's Cervix dilating in order to admit the Head of the Foetus; the Vagina is typically only the Size of a Grain of Rice; but a Foetus Head is the Size of a Baseball; the Skull is soft and flexible but is insufficiently so to bend into a convenient Shape similar to a Torpedo so as to facilitate Passage through the Vagina; furthermore the Uterus is racked by Strong Contractions [Spasms of the Muscle] that are also quite painful); however I brush my Teeth very frequently to avoid this; I do not want my Enamel to be damaged; I do not want to lose my Teeth. My Brother tells me that I Eat Too Much Sugar; he says that Four (4) Sugars per Cup and Four to Six (4-6) Cups per Day adds up to Sixteen to Twenty Four (16-24) Sugars per Day (this Arithmetic is sound); he says That Is Why I Am So Fat; he says that Soon I Will Be Unable To Walk; he says that he will Have To Push Me Around In A Shopping Cart Like A Bag Of Idiot Rice; but I do not believe it is so; I believe that I Am So Fat because I eat too many Dairy Products; this is unrelated to my Sugar Intake via Coffee; I do have Milk (Cow) in my Coffee; but only some. My Second Question is do other Posters dip Biscuits into their Coffee; I am fond of Biscuits; my Favourite Biscuits are Arnotts Custard Creams (Vanilla Biscuits with Custard Creme); Arnotts Monte Carlo (Golden Syrup Biscuits with Vanilla Creme and Raspberry Jam); Arnotts Shortbread Creams (Shortbread Biscuits with Vanilla Creme); Arnotts Kingston (Golden Syrup Biscuits with Choc Creme); Arnotts Orange Slice (Vanilla Biscuits with Orange Sherbet Creme). I prefer Biscuits with Creme Centres; I carefully pry the Biscuit Casing apart to access the Creme Interior; I pretend that the Biscuit is a Clam and that I am a Sea Otter (Enhydra lutris); in this Metaphor I am opening the Shell with my Claws in order to eat the soft and nutritious Innards (after consuming the Creme I also consume the Biscuit; this is the Component that I dip into the Coffee; I cannot dip the Creme into the Coffee; it will melt due to High Temperature); these Biscuits are predominantly Yellow in Colour; Yellow Foods are my Favourite; Yellow is predisposed to Sweetness and Good Cohesive Texture.

----------------

ulvir

Realtalk: About 10 years ago I lost 6kg (google tells me this is nearly 1 stone or 13lbs, if you're into those weird units for some reason) in a month when I stopped having one or two cubes of sugar in my tea (I drank somewhere between 3 and 6 cups a day). Add some milk if you find the coffee taste too bitter, but drop the sugar entirely if you can. That stuff's not good for you at all.

tao of lmao

I think I could use some coffee

ulvir

I wanted something warm, but I've had two cups of coffee already, so went for oolong

The Lord Bude

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Enhydra lutris posted:

I have Two (2) Coffee Questions and seek the Opinions of other Posters on the B.Y.O.B. [Beware Your Own Butt] Forum. Firstly: what is the Appropriate number of Sugars [Tea Spoons thereof] to mix into a Cup of Coffee; I habitually mix Four (4) Sugars into my Coffee; I am told that Four (4) Sugars is Too Many; I am told that I risk Health Complications from this Habit; the Dentist tells me that the Sugars will attack the enamel (Hard Lining) of my Teeth and cause breaches in this Substance that allow Bacteria to access the Pulp therein; this leads to Infections of the Teeth; I have never had an Infection of the Teeth but the Elderly Chinese Veterinary Receptionist has suffered from Three (3) Abscesses; she informs me that there is No Greater Pain On Earth; she says that the Pain is worse than the Pain of Child Birth (Note: Child Birth is intensely painful due to a Woman's Cervix dilating in order to admit the Head of the Foetus; the Vagina is typically only the Size of a Grain of Rice; but a Foetus Head is the Size of a Baseball; the Skull is soft and flexible but is insufficiently so to bend into a convenient Shape similar to a Torpedo so as to facilitate Passage through the Vagina; furthermore the Uterus is racked by Strong Contractions [Spasms of the Muscle] that are also quite painful); however I brush my Teeth very frequently to avoid this; I do not want my Enamel to be damaged; I do not want to lose my Teeth. My Brother tells me that I Eat Too Much Sugar; he says that Four (4) Sugars per Cup and Four to Six (4-6) Cups per Day adds up to Sixteen to Twenty Four (16-24) Sugars per Day (this Arithmetic is sound); he says That Is Why I Am So Fat; he says that Soon I Will Be Unable To Walk; he says that he will Have To Push Me Around In A Shopping Cart Like A Bag Of Idiot Rice; but I do not believe it is so; I believe that I Am So Fat because I eat too many Dairy Products; this is unrelated to my Sugar Intake via Coffee; I do have Milk (Cow) in my Coffee; but only some. My Second Question is do other Posters dip Biscuits into their Coffee; I am fond of Biscuits; my Favourite Biscuits are Arnotts Custard Creams (Vanilla Biscuits with Custard Creme); Arnotts Monte Carlo (Golden Syrup Biscuits with Vanilla Creme and Raspberry Jam); Arnotts Shortbread Creams (Shortbread Biscuits with Vanilla Creme); Arnotts Kingston (Golden Syrup Biscuits with Choc Creme); Arnotts Orange Slice (Vanilla Biscuits with Orange Sherbet Creme). I prefer Biscuits with Creme Centres; I carefully pry the Biscuit Casing apart to access the Creme Interior; I pretend that the Biscuit is a Clam and that I am a Sea Otter (Enhydra lutris); in this Metaphor I am opening the Shell with my Claws in order to eat the soft and nutritious Innards (after consuming the Creme I also consume the Biscuit; this is the Component that I dip into the Coffee; I cannot dip the Creme into the Coffee; it will melt due to High Temperature); these Biscuits are predominantly Yellow in Colour; Yellow Foods are my Favourite; Yellow is predisposed to Sweetness and Good Cohesive Texture.

The correct number of sugars to add to coffee is zero (0) sugars. High quality artisanal coffee, made in accordance to thehighest standards should not be excessively bitter, it should taste perfectly sweet and delicious on its own. Worst case scenario, you would be able to cut back to perhaps one (1) sugar. High sugar use in coffee is a symptom of purchasing really bad coffee.

When considering the cafe at which to purchase coffee, you should look for the following indicators:

1. Coffee Brand. Cafes that use coffee sourced from major coffee brands will never have good coffee - eg - Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, Michel's Patisserie, Di Bella, Vittoria, Mio, etc

Good cafes will roast their own beans, or use beans sourced from a local boutique roastery. Some larger Companies still maintain reasonable standards - eg - Campos, Five Senses, Toby's Estate, Botero. These places serve as a reasonable baseline, and their coffee is usually safe to drink

2. Equipment - look for expensive espresso machines from top grade brands - La Marzocco, synesso, Slayer, Kees van der Westen Mirage.

3. Grinder - A reputable cafe will never have coffee ground ahead of time. If you see ground coffee sitting in a container at the base of the grinder, you should immediately leave the premises without purchasing anything. Every single cup of coffee that is made should have coffee ground just for that cup

4. Milk - Milk should be frothed separately for each cup and leftover milk in the jug should be discarded. Do not buy coffee from a cafe that refroths leftover milk. Coffee should not be scalding hot, though you can only judge this after purchasing

5. Offering of different blends, and/or single origins. Prominent display of tasting notes for these different coffees. This is a strong indicator of a reputable coffee establishment.

6. advertising non espresso based coffees - a good cafe will often offer plunger, cold drip, aeropress, syphon etc.

7. Request that your barista make the coffee using a Double ristretto rather than a regular coffee shot (reputable establishments will already be doing this by default). This will make your coffee less bitter , and give it a better flavour. If the person making your coffee does not know what a double ristretto is, this is a good sign that you should buy your coffee elsewhere.

Drinking Coffee at home

Instant coffee is the very lowest grade of coffee, and should be avoided. A plunger and grinder is the cheapest way to make high quality coffee at home - total equipment investment around $150. Always purchase whole beans from a reputable source, as above.

In an emergency scenario where you are forced to drink instant coffee, use a premium brand like Moccona. I find one (1) tablespoon of coffee is appropriate for a 250ml cup. It is reasonable to add one (1) sugar to instant coffee to compensate for the low quality.

To answer your other question:

It is highly appropriate to dip biscuits in coffee. shortbread based biscuits are best for this.

ulvir

scandinavian style doughnuts were practically invented for dipping in coffee, so you should try that too

alnilam

Biscotti were also invented to be dipped in coffee

alnilam

EL you should definitely cut back to 1 sugar and then see if you can cut to zero. Also find better coffee. You live in Australia right? I think they mostly do espresso based drinks there so it's a bit outside of my expertise, but that other person's advice sounds good.

The Lord Bude

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

alnilam posted:

EL you should definitely cut back to 1 sugar and then see if you can cut to zero. Also find better coffee. You live in Australia right? I think they mostly do espresso based drinks there so it's a bit outside of my expertise, but that other person's advice sounds good.

He is, and so am I. Pretty much the only place you can get American style percolator coffee is McDonalds here, and even then pretty much every McDonalds has a cafe counter with an espresso machine. Virtually every dining establishment will serve espresso, although almost all of them have no idea how to make a decent cup of coffee.

mycophobia
having a delicious fancy whipped cream coffee chocolate candy drink

edit: large size, and also had two cups of regular rear end coffee earlier :coffeepal:

fema crisis actor

Made a cold press last night so my coffee was ready already in the morning.

They say to use more coffee when you cold press, but I used less water. That way I had the same amount of coffee as normal with the ice.

It's getting hot out.

ulvir

picked up a pu'er today. Its only 100g and comes packed in a cardboard box (it is compressed though), so its most likely not anything outstanding.

if I enjoy the type enough I might start ordering it online in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
a pu'er?

• Locked thread