Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
who hangs out with other adults.

Mushishi is, of course, the best anime ever made, and being in this category may or may not be part of the reason why. I can't think of very many others, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Legend of Galactic Heroes

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I liked Bartender. The dude chills in his bar and makes the best drink to his customer, which solves all of their problems. Monster might also count but I never finished it, so I dunno if he hangs around with adults or not.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i can think of many others

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dragon Ball Z

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
O Gintoki is like 20ish so Gintama

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I was gonna post Dirty Pair as a joke answer but then I thought about it some more and I'm okay with it being my actual answer

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
-Mushishi
-Servant x Service (except for like 2 characters)
-Shirobako (after the first episode)

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Monster.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Solanin
Pink
Octave
Perfect Blue
Scott Pilgrim

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Dragon Ball Z
Fist of the North Star
Kaiji
Princess Jellyfish

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kakukaku Shikajika

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
Monster, Paranoia Agent, and The Tatami Galaxy (if university students count).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Slur posted:

Monster.

Second!

Also, Steins;Gate, Planetes and Fate/Zero

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Cowboy Bebop, obviously.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Tatami Galaxy, I Cant Understand What My Husband Is Saying, Cowboy Bebop

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Great Teacher Onizuka is another one, The first episode was super weird(where he brings the student home or whatever was a bit too weird) and made me drop it for a while, finally decided to give it a few episodes... SO Glad I did never knew one man could be as based as he is.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Black Lagoon

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Big O and many of the others already listed.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Tiger & Bunny mostly featured adult main characters and ruled real hard

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
House of Five Leaves

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Monster is also very good, as is Planetes. Princess Jellyfish is actually what made me think of this thread.

Ottumon posted:

I liked Bartender. The dude chills in his bar and makes the best drink to his customer, which solves all of their problems.

a kitten posted:

Solanin
Pink
Octave

a kitten posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika

I have never heard of any of these. I have suspicion some of them might not even be real.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Caithness posted:

Monster is also very good, as is Planetes. Princess Jellyfish is actually what made me think of this thread.

I have never heard of any of these. I have suspicion some of them might not even be real.

The last is the Princess Jellyfish lady's autobiography manga. It will make you cry and open a great void of regret that can never be filled in your stomach.
Also nobody in PJ really qualifies as much of an adult.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disgaea

or does 1300 not count as an adult

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Got to be at least 1800 to count

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Caithness posted:

drat, there rules out live action dramas from being anime.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dragon Ball Z

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Caithness posted:

Bartender is a real thing that exists, and I have the most credible source to help with your anime suspicions.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Caithness posted:

18 in American years is about 1800 in Yen years.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Caithness posted:

They're mostly manga, not anime :shobon:

Solanin is by Inio Asano

Meiko Inoue is a recent college grad working as an office lady in a job she hates. Her boyfriend Shigeo is permanently crashing at her apartment because his job as a freelance illustrator doesn't pay enough for rent. And her parents in the country keep sending her boxes of veggies that just rot in her fridge. Straddling the line between her years as a student and the rest of her life, Meiko struggles with the feeling that she's just not cut out to be a part of the real world.

Pink
is by Kyoko Okazaki

Yumiko moonlights as a call girl because her day job doesn't pay enough to feed her pet, Croc. Haru, an aspiring writer who has nothing to say, sleeps with a woman his mother's age not just for the money but to work on his "powers of observation". So when Yumi's step-mom turns out to be Haru's sugar-mommy, it is time for shenanigans. A little bit of drinking, a little bit of blackmail and a visit with Croc is enough to change lives and maybe add some color to a comfortable but bland life.

Published at the zenith of the Bubble era, women’s comics legend Kyoko Okazaki’s representative work captures, like no other graphic novel, the spirit of its times, when a nation lost something for good amidst the prosperity that made her the envy of the world. While the Bubble burst, that cynicism — and pink — have endured to this day

Octave is by Haru Akiyama

When she was young, Yukino Miyashita wanted, more than anything else to become an idol. After accomplishing her dream, however, the idol group she was part of failed to sell, and she returned to school, facing alienation from her peers. Now, at age 18, Yukino is living alone in Tokyo, half-heartedly trying to start a new life as a talent manager, while not quite able to put her idol days behind her. She meets Setsuko, a songwriter who also once belonged to a failed idol group. The romance sparked by her encounter with Setsuko causes Yukino to reevaluate her own life

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Legend of the Galactic Heroes of course.

The first Patlabor OVA has a scene where the police captain has to remind his officers that they're just a bunch of public servants instead of punks or autistic kids piloting Great Mazinger or Dangaioh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Everything Burrito posted:

House of Five Leaves

Oh yeah this was cool, and it inspired me to eat pickled vegetables so good poo poo House of Five Leaves

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

same but spice and wolf and pickled fruit

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Ristorante Paradiso

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bubblegum Crisis.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
House of Five Leaves and Mushishi makes me wish there were more shows brave enough to have lots of slow languid scenes that allow the mood to diffuse through.

(That reminds me, Mushishi and Flowers of Evil were done by the same director).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

same but spice and wolf and pickled fruit

This one fails the criteria because although the main character is an adult, he hangs out with a hundreds-of-years-old wolf spirit who takes the form of a teenage girl.

Not that it's a bad show -- it's a great show -- but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is holo actually meant to be a teenage girl? its been a while since i watched the show but she just seemed 19-20 to me

i guess 19 is teenage but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In the books it gets mentioned as often as possible that she looks about 16.

• Locked thread