Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How about that Jimmy/Steve appearance out of nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Regy Rusty posted:

This season has started to become quite compelling. I'm actually liking the Castors.
I'm honestly surprised by how well the actor is holding his own. I mean, he's definitely not Maslany, but the show is using him in a really smart way to avoid that comparison. Instead of going head-to-head with the Leda variety act, the Castors are just a completely different beast. And so far, I think it really works.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Chewing a key out of a steak bone is MacGyvering at its best.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This show was at its best in season 1 and has been downhill ever since, but it's still one of my favorites. I've seen every episode once, so I've been binge watching even while the current season continues. Episodes 101 through 207 in a week.

It's funny, you know you're watching a show quickly when scenes are so fresh you can notice that they used a different take in the recap than in the episode itself. "Will this help, my tooth?" hang on a minute, she only said "will this help?", what kind of scam are they running?!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Generic American posted:

I'm honestly surprised by how well the actor is holding his own. I mean, he's definitely not Maslany, but the show is using him in a really smart way to avoid that comparison. Instead of going head-to-head with the Leda variety act, the Castors are just a completely different beast. And so far, I think it really works.

Yeah, setting all the boy clones to have grown up together and thus having similar personalities has taken the pressure off Ari Millen to deliver a bunch of different characters and instead just let him focus on being creepy and weird, which definitely plays to his strengths.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
With Kira gone Felix is now down to giving fashion advice for impersonations, being in charge of buying new Clone Phones and helping Cosima get laid.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

CeeJee posted:

Chewing a key out of a steak bone is MacGyvering at its best.
*to the tune of the MacGruber theme*

HELENA!
Makin' jail breakin' devices out of chewed up ol' steak bones!
HELENA!
Throwing poo poo buckets at soldiers and giving boy clones lobotomies!
HELENA!
HER BEST FRIEND IS A SCORPION!
HE-LE-NA!

Cool note on the lobotomy: the brain actually has no pain receptors (some brain surgeries actually require the patient to be awake and only a general anaesthesia for the skull is required), so as gross as the brain scrambling was - it was probably a much more painless death than slitting his throat (which was the death I was totally expecting). I assume Parsons' suffering arose from the whole open-skull, being left in an uncomfortable metal chair overnight thing, rather than the electrodes in the brain, which he wouldn't be able to feel anyway.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Ewwww stop making me think of Hannibal feeding a dude's own brains to him while he was still alive. But yeah, the brain has no pain receptors.

I also think you guys are right. I absolutely HATED the Castor guy, but since they all grew up together and aren't really all that different, it works a lot better than I expected. I still think he's a creepy dude, but at least Molestache Castor is gone :laffo: I couldn't take much more of Pedo-Clone.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

Ewwww stop making me think of Hannibal feeding a dude's own brains to him while he was still alive. But yeah, the brain has no pain receptors.

I also think you guys are right. I absolutely HATED the Castor guy, but since they all grew up together and aren't really all that different, it works a lot better than I expected. I still think he's a creepy dude, but at least Molestache Castor is gone :laffo: I couldn't take much more of Pedo-Clone.
It's fascinating to consider the different clone approaches. The Castor clones (kept by the military) were bred to be a close-knit unit, men capable of thinking and acting as one - while the Leda clones (kept by scientists and researchers) were free-range. And then compare which clones turn out stronger - the ones bred to think as a group or the ones left to develop as individuals.

So far it looks like the Castor clones turned out the poorer - shocker, I know. Their relationships with each other (particularly the quasi-incestuousness of Rudy and Seth) are completely hosed up, and despite the closeness their handlers have tried to breed into them, there are still obvious resentments and hierarchies bubbling beneath the surface - Mark being the golden boy, Rudy being the gently caress-up. It's no surprise that the most well-adjusted boy clone is the one lucky enough to score a year on his own working undercover.

Mark is the only boy clone I give close to a poo poo about - and I'm hoping he'll be the one to eventually turn and help out the Ledas, seeing as how Sarah saved his life and helped him recover the genetic material.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I completely agree with your fun analysis :)

But calling the girls Free-Range was a pretty funny turn of phrase! Gave m.e a smile

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Looking forward to next episode!! Cosima's love interest isn't wet blanket Delphine anymore, it's Ksenia Solo! Love her on Lost Girl as Kenzie, so I hope she stays.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That still leaves the original Leda materials, unless it's revealed that Sarah and Helena are the result of that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm choosing to believe he's the exact same character as he is on Shameless and living his mysterious offscreen criminal life with the Clone Club instead of slumming it with the Gallaghers.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I nearly threw my remote at the loving tv.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm choosing to believe he's the exact same character as he is on Shameless and living his mysterious offscreen criminal life with the Clone Club instead of slumming it with the Gallaghers.

Fair enough, I'm choosing to believe that Maslany's character on Parks and Recreation was a clone who hasn't encountered the rest yet.

Can someone explain what was happening with the hunt for the original Castor sample? Mark/Sarah didn't find it in the box, but they did find out that Johansson stole it and used it to make his own clone baby. So how did finding the body help them get the original - i.e., how is the Johansson baby different from the Castors?

ashley
Oct 20, 2008
The Johansson baby was cloned directly from the original. I'm assuming the Castor clones had some synthetic sequences added in like the Leda clones did, which could be the cause of their "glitching."

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

ashley posted:

The Johansson baby was cloned directly from the original. I'm assuming the Castor clones had some synthetic sequences added in like the Leda clones did, which could be the cause of their "glitching."

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hold the gently caress on, how am I just realizing that the theme song is an Amon Tobin song?? That is goddamn amazing. The music on this show is great - really loved the use of Alvvays' 'Adult Diversion' in the bar scene with Cosima this episode.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

ashley posted:

Ah, right - the artificial sequences of patent, and also the ones that render them sterile.

....actually, I'm wondering if the genetic flaws aren't purposeful. In the second season, Ethan mentioned the sterility of the clones was intentional because allowing them to breed would have been "irresponsible" and would probably have led to strange and unforeseen genetic anomalies/dangers in any potential offspring. Could be that the glitches in both sets of clones were specifically engineered to ensure the clones had an "expiration date" that would prevent them from outliving their creators, or (especially in Cosima's case) from living long enough to research themselves and develop into a threat against humanity.

Which would probably explain why Kira's (and likely Sarah's and Helena's) genetic material would likely help the other clones since they somehow dodged the Death Gene - either because (as has been suggested) Sarah/Helena are direct clones the way the Johansson baby was or - maybe? - because Helena and Sarah are spontaneous identical twins. One of them is a naturally-occuring clone of an artificially-engineered clone.

AnimeJune fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 15, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If they didn't have the original Leda samples, how did they make the younger Leda clone we saw in the s2 finale?

I still really like this show but seeing Sarah just constantly gently caress up and get in over her head and get hoodwinked by everyone is kinda ridiculous.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

If they didn't have the original Leda samples, how did they make the younger Leda clone we saw in the s2 finale?
From copied material, I would think. The Head Bitch in Charge mentioned that Baby Leda was the sole survivor of over 400 attempts. It's probably harder to clone from a clone.

I do not know science.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

AnimeJune posted:

Ah, right - the artificial sequences of patent, and also the ones that render them sterile.

....actually, I'm wondering if the genetic flaws aren't purposeful. In the second season, Ethan mentioned the sterility of the clones was intentional because allowing them to breed would have been "irresponsible" and would probably have led to strange and unforeseen genetic anomalies/dangers in any potential offspring. Could be that the glitches in both sets of clones were specifically engineered to ensure the clones had an "expiration date"

I've been assuming that the glitches were intentionally introduced from the beginning. In many experiments with lab animals, there's an end date where every organism is euthanized, both to finish the experiment and so that they can be dissected and compared. The idea that it was accidental never crossed my mind.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

I've been assuming that the glitches were intentionally introduced from the beginning. In many experiments with lab animals, there's an end date where every organism is euthanized, both to finish the experiment and so that they can be dissected and compared. The idea that it was accidental never crossed my mind.
But it seems that Ethan's "Death Gene" was likely not authorized by DYAD or the military. Pretty sound strategy - afraid someone's trying to take over your genius project? Intentionally engineer flaws in it that only you can fix.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I have no idea what's happening with Paul and the military and the boy clones, nor do I care.

I just finished a rewatch a few days ago. Boy do I miss season 1, what an amazing show this was. There should be a checklist.

1. Is Tatiana in the scene?
2. If no, return to 1.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
There was a TV ad for another show by Orphan Black's creators for some sci fi thing called The Joykillers'. Now I can't find a thing. Can anybody help me?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I'm pretty sure that's "Killjoys", which will be airing on the SyFy channel next month.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I'm really behind in my DVR, trying to find time to catch up with my sestras. I was in Hot Topic with my daughter and saw these:

I really want a pencil in the eye Rachel and a Helena.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

When Shay was talking about her first internet date I couldn't help but think she was describing Kenzi. Because someone meeting their clone on Tinder is definitely something I could see happening on Orphan Black,

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

So if I'm understanding what happened at the end of the episode the boy clones also carry a STD?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

So if I'm understanding what happened at the end of the episode the boy clones also carry a STD?
That's what it looks like.

I like how Helena calls them the Mark-Faced Boys.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Slamhound posted:

That's what it looks like.

I like how Helena calls them the Mark-Faced Boys.

"You're the ugliest Mark yet." :haw:

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

strangemusic posted:

"You're the ugliest Mark yet." :haw:
She's not wrong!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

Or maybe some sort of prion/protein mis-folding type thing, since they mentioned the the dead one's brain looked like he had mad cow.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Iron Tusk posted:

Or maybe some sort of prion/protein mis-folding type thing, since they mentioned the the dead one's brain looked like he had mad cow.
Whatever it is, evil scientist lady is clearly aware of it. Which makes her even more terrible than before.
How has Paul not noticed that everyone he works for is a monster yet?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

Looked like severe conjunctivitis. I'd guess a wonky, likely purposefully so, protein passed on by the Mark-faced boys that causes an autoimmune problem with a delayed onset, although I don't know if they'll go into that much detail. Can't have them breeding, after all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Do you think this is the reason Gracie lost her baby?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think this is the reason Gracie lost her baby?
I wonder if she did, or at least if it's as simple as that; Castor DNA affecting fertile Leda DNA and all.

When Cosima didn't have her glasses on, I though "Hey, she looks like Sara." :downs:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

How has Paul not noticed that everyone he works for is a monster yet?

He was only just promoted to working for her. He worked for the army for years, undercover in Dyad, but he was only properly promoted to Major at the end of Season Two. That's when he was incorporated into the Castor project. I think, in the timeline of the show, that he's only been working for her for a fortnight, tops.

Incidentally, does the way Sarah pronounces 'Castor' really annoy anyone else? She says "caster" like KAH-STER, rather that KAS-TOR. I've not noticed anyone else doing it, so it might just be a Sarah accent thing, but I'm pretty sure that's not a British pronunciation thing either, unless she's using some sort of Sarf Lundun iteration I'm not familiar with.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

He was only just promoted to working for her. He worked for the army for years, undercover in Dyad, but he was only properly promoted to Major at the end of Season Two. That's when he was incorporated into the Castor project. I think, in the timeline of the show, that he's only been working for her for a fortnight, tops.
I thought he'd been with the Castors longer than that. Didn't he say something about considering them family, like Sarah feels about the Leda clones?

My question is, how did Felix explain his new Sarah-lookalike friend to the bartender, who already knows Sarah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Slamhound posted:

When Cosima didn't have her glasses on, I though "Hey, she looks like Sara." :downs:
My annual "THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON" moment came a couple episodes ago when Sarah had a bunch of scenes with the Castors and I thought "Hmm Tatiana Maslany and Ari Millen have both been on the show a while but I guess this is the first time they get to really interact," completely forgetting that these actors had already worked with each other a bunch last season when she was Helena. :downs:

• Locked thread