Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

BrianWilly posted:

My annual "THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON" moment came a couple episodes ago when Sarah had a bunch of scenes with the Castors and I thought "Hmm Tatiana Maslany and Ari Millen have both been on the show a while but I guess this is the first time they get to really interact," completely forgetting that these actors had already worked with each other a bunch last season when she was Helena. :downs:
For me, it's when someone who isn't Tatiana or Ari, has to interact with them, but they're playing a different clone. There was a scene where Delphine was having a chat with I believe Sarah, and I remember thinking it must have been the weirdest thing for an actress who is used to playing opposite Cosima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Incidentally, does the way Sarah pronounces 'Castor' really annoy anyone else? She says "caster" like KAH-STER, rather that KAS-TOR. I've not noticed anyone else doing it, so it might just be a Sarah accent thing, but I'm pretty sure that's not a British pronunciation thing either, unless she's using some sort of Sarf Lundun iteration I'm not familiar with.

London girl here, I'd totally say it Kah-ster. In general, Sarah and Fe's accents are spot on.

BrianWilly posted:

My annual "THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON" moment came a couple episodes ago when Sarah had a bunch of scenes with the Castors and I thought "Hmm Tatiana Maslany and Ari Millen have both been on the show a while but I guess this is the first time they get to really interact," completely forgetting that these actors had already worked with each other a bunch last season when she was Helena. :downs:

I've reached the point where I've forgotten it's TatMas playing all these different characters and then at some point in the episode I remember again and then it blows my mind all over again.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
My roommates and I just discovered this show. Blew through the first two seasons in two weeks, caught up on all of season three so far -- we love it to death. (Although the Castor boys can go die in a hole, they're taking precious screen time away from The Alison Show.) But now that we have to wait a week between episodes, we're getting restless. The fear of having to talk to one another is real.

We always like to have a marathon going. Can anybody recommend any shows similar to Orphan Black? Doesn't have to be sci-fi, but the combination of exciting adventures/mysterious goings-on, amazingly likable characters, and FUN! is what we're after.

And sestras. Bonus points if the show has sestras. Thanks!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Takei is Okay posted:

We always like to have a marathon going. Can anybody recommend any shows similar to Orphan Black? Doesn't have to be sci-fi, but the combination of exciting adventures/mysterious goings-on, amazingly likable characters, and FUN! is what we're after.

And sestras. Bonus points if the show has sestras. Thanks!

I'd recommend iZombie and Veronica Mars, two great shows from the same showrunner, Rob Thomas, featuring scrappy, spunky, capable, often hilarious heroines played by very charismatic actresses.

If you can deal with a comedy, Broad City features two drat funny girls (the creator/writer/producers) who are best friends in real life and on the show, and are as close as "sestras," except one is also totally hot for the other... and she looks a little like Tatiana. And they're always having wacky adventures.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 19, 2015

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

BrianWilly posted:

And this whole episode, it was all just props for Helena. All day, erry day. I love how she constantly has a million escape plots going through her brain. Steak bones, butter packets, shoe laces, hand cuffs. You'd think by this point the Castor people should just pour gruel into her cage through a hole in the ceiling. You cannot trust her with ANYTHING, that's awesome, and that rips Dr. Mommy's "she's more comfortable when institutionalized" bullshit to shreds.

...abandoning Sarah is less awesome.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Does Art have an ex-wife, daughter, or sister that we know of? I think one of the names in the journal had a surname of Bell.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Emerson Cod posted:

Does Art have an ex-wife, daughter, or sister that we know of? I think one of the names in the journal had a surname of Bell.

Pretty sure he mentioned having kids, way back in Season 1.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Leospeare posted:

My question is, how did Felix explain his new Sarah-lookalike friend to the bartender, who already knows Sarah?
In my mind the bartender is basically an unofficial member of Clone Club at this point. Everyone trusts the bartender.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Maduo posted:

In my mind the bartender is basically an unofficial member of Clone Club at this point. Everyone trusts the bartender.

Next Week: The conspiracy grows, as the friendly neighborhood bartender is outed as a Top Side plant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think this is the reason Gracie lost her baby?

I felt like the minister or whoever the guy is who owns the place that the Proletheans are chilling with gave her something that caused the abortion, and that her mother knew it and used it as an excuse to cast her out. No idea why they would do that, but the way the guy was like, "Well, let's get you something to eat" after talking about her pregnancy, and the glances with her mother, just screamed to me, "He's going to give you an abortifacient!"

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Man, I'm really curious about how Alison's plot is going to meet up with the main story again. I could see it happening where the clones need back up and Alison just summons her drug gang while her sisters look on in shock.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'd recommend iZombie and Veronica Mars, two great shows from the same showrunner, Rob Thomas, featuring scrappy, spunky, capable, often hilarious heroines played by very charismatic actresses.

If you can deal with a comedy, Broad City features two drat funny girls (the creator/writer/producers) who are best friends in real life and on the show, and are as close as "sestras," except one is also totally hot for the other... and she looks a little like Tatiana. And they're always having wacky adventures.

Broad City is NYC hipster :barf:

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Question, have clones in the story line been identified as having any enhanced abilities?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TEAH SYAG posted:

Question, have clones in the story line been identified as having any enhanced abilities?

No, though Kira having Wolverine blood is a plot line that has come up a couple times.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Rocksicles posted:

Broad City is NYC hipster :barf:

Not even close. It's hilarious.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AnimeJune posted:

And this whole episode, it was all just props for Helena. All day, erry day. I love how she constantly has a million escape plots going through her brain. Steak bones, butter packets, shoe laces, hand cuffs. You'd think by this point the Castor people should just pour gruel into her cage through a hole in the ceiling. You cannot trust her with ANYTHING, that's awesome, and that rips Dr. Mommy's "she's more comfortable when institutionalized" bullshit to shreds.

...abandoning Sarah is less awesome.
It's basically what Sarah has spent the entire series doing to Helena(up until now, anyways). Plus, while Helena doesn't have any particular reason to believe Team Castor when they tell her Sarah sold her out, she also doesn't have any particular reason to believe Sarah either. Sarah has abandoned/attempted to sell her out in the past, and she was pretty nonchalant about it too. Helena at least feels bad about it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't think Sarah would be able to follow Helena's path out of the camp.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

I'd recommend iZombie and Veronica Mars...If you can deal with a comedy, Broad City...

Thanks for the recommendations! Nobody seemed too enthused when I suggested/described them, but I appreciate the thought. Anyone else know of any other similar shows? (We're about to try Boardwalk Empire tonight ... hmmm.)

OrphanTalk: I'm starting to feel bad for Donnie. He's clearly still on a high from his "I WILL PROTECT THIS FAMILY" moment in S2, but I think it's a glory that will never be recaptured. He keeps trying to attack new situations with the same attitude, but instead of Alison immediately demanding hot doggy-style sex, he's getting shushed and condescended. Poor guy seems confused.

I was hoping he'd go full inappropriate-alpha-male this season and overreact to everything.

Marcy: "Looks like we're both running for the same trustee slot, eh Alison?"
Donnie: YAAAAAGH *smashes Marcy with chair in broad daylight*
Donnie: "I MUST PROTECT THIS FAMILY"
Alison: "Donald what on Earth is wrong with you?"
Donnie: "THAT'S HOW WE DO IT DOWNTOWN"

Maybe he just equates murder with hot wife sex. He's become Pavlov's Husband.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Takei is Okay posted:

Anyone else know of any other similar shows? (We're about to try Boardwalk Empire tonight ... hmmm.)
Save yourself the trouble. It's all style, no substance. It looks amazing, but there's nothing to that one.

Orphan Black is probably closest to something like The Vampire Diaries or The Originals, where we've got a core group of good guys surrounded by various levels of posturing evil, all in a sci-fi wrapper.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 21, 2015

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Save yourself the trouble. It's all style, no substance. It looks amazing, but there's nothing to that one.

Orphan Black is probably closest to something like The Vampire Diaries or The Originals, where we've got a core group of good guys surrounded by various levels of posturing evil, all in a sci-fi wrapper.

In TVD you even get the "same actor playing multiple parts/people and sometimes playing one person impersonating another" as well!

And though she's no Tatiana, Nina Dobrev does a decent enough job at it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You should also try Dollhouse, another sci-fi show dealing with science run amok and an unethical corporation that exploits people.

It has a fantastic cast of actors, who each play multiple characters. Unfortunately, it is hampered by the lead actress, who is mediocre and outshined by everyone else. In fact, I've often thought about how amazing Dollhouse would have been with Tatiana playing the lead role instead of Eliza Dushku. (But conversely, those of you who have seen it, imagine Enver Gjokaj playing Ari Millen's part on Orphan Black!)

I don't think it is popular around here (it's a Joss Whedon show that ran for two 13-episode seasons), and I'll admit the first five episodes felt like a slog to get through. But as shows often do, it found its voice and style (in Episode 6) and got exponentially better from there, all the way out to the end.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

(But conversely, those of you who have seen it, imagine Enver Gjokaj playing Ari Millen's part on Orphan Black!)

Oh my god, my fiancé and I have had that conversation so many times. Ari does a decent job but Enver would have just been amazing. Everything else you say about Dollhouse I'll agree with as well. It especially got good when Whedon was just allowed to do whatever he wanted.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
In a cruel ironic twist of fates Enver has spent quite a bit of time playing generic Eastern European dudes or people who get off'ed super quickly. Welp.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
HOLY poo poo ALISON AND DONNIE:magical::homebrew:

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
that didn't really seem in character

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Castor clones have prion disease that they can spread? Nothing like walking carriers of brain eating STDs.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
ovary eating in girls

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Party Plane Jones posted:

Castor clones have prion disease that they can spread? Nothing like walking carriers of brain eating STDs.

Bwee posted:

ovary eating in girls

Considering that combo let's reeeeeeally hope there's no Castor equivalent of Cosima.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Bwee posted:

That seems exactly like what Alison and Donnie would do with a bunch of drug money.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

This was loving fantastic.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bwee posted:

It is for the show, it's been known to be self-indulgent as gently caress and that was certainly one of those moments.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Just started watching this week's episode and I literally busted out laughing at that. Hilarious.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
half naked Ksenia Solo FTW

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

violetdragon posted:

That seems exactly like what Alison and Donnie would do with a bunch of drug money.

hi vd :)

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Hi Bwee :]

Is anyone else going to miss Pupok?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

violetdragon posted:

Hi Bwee :]

Is anyone else going to miss Pupok?

I don't get why people thinking Helena eating her imaginary scorpion means it can't reappear later. I mean, it's imaginary. It can have infinite lives.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
ok guys i was wrong and i'll never say anything bad about any hendrix family storylines again

Emerson Cod posted:

yeah pretty sure that's what's gonna happen,, they even had it in the PREVIOUSLY ON thing at the start

i doubt it's his daughter although i have no idea what age art's supposed to be so who knows

also good riddance paul, you sure were a character on a tv show

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Illinois Smith posted:

also good riddance paul, you sure were a character on a tv show

hahaha, we hardly knew ye!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarklyDreaming posted: