Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
In this thread let's post your best movies that are depressing as gently caress. A lot of these were mentioned in the PYF scary or unnerving article or Wikipedia thread but I thought it might be able to stand on it's own. Here's a few to get started.

This one is a very different perspective on WWII. It's from a child's perspective just as the war ends and they discover that everything they were raised to believe were lies.
Lore

Wanna know what it would have been like in America if we really did have WWIII?
The Day After

Here's an animated one about an elderly couple dealing with the fallout if a nuclear war in Britain.
When The Wind Blows

This is another British film about World War III, and the horrors of the post-apocalyptic society that follows.
Threads

And the most upsetting and sad film I've ever seen. It's a Russian film about what the Nazis did and holy poo poo, is it depressing. :suicide:
Come And See

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vouk
Feb 23, 2014
Can't agree enough about When The Wind Blows, I can't even watch it/read it any more.

Fairly well known French film... I watched it knowing nothing about it other than the fact that it's a harrowing watch, it's equal parts depressing and shocking, I'd say.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
The Piano Teacher

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Shake Hands With The Devil, the true story of the UN General who was ordered not to intervene during the Rwandan genocide.

Big Blood Bovine
Apr 24, 2010

Финское качество!
Polisse, a based-on-reality film about the Child Protection Unit of the Paris Police. Do I really need to say more? This is incidentally the only movie besides Come and see that I almost couldn't watch till the end. With Polisse I lasted 30 minutes before I had to take a ten minute break just to gather my thoughts. Anyone who has seen Come and see can pretty easily guess where I had to take a break in that film...

The Magdalene Sisters. Based on real events (see the pattern here?) in the Irish Magdalene "asylums" for "fallen" girls. A former inmate told that reality was actually worse than depicted in the film.

After seeing these films, "fantasy-based" horror like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Excorsist just don't do it for me. They're pretty frightening for sure, but films based on real events just touch me in places I never thought a movie could reach. Just the thought that this kind of stuff really happened or is still going on is crushing.

Also seconding Threads. It starts a little slow for a reason, so give it time. The film has one the best endings I've ever seen.

Phineus
Jul 21, 2008

Good to the last drop.

Croatoan posted:

This one is a very different perspective on WWII. It's from a child's perspective just as the war ends and they discover that everything they were raised to believe were lies.
Lore

This movie is excellent.

My short list is currently:

I'm not even sure how to describe Noi

And my all time "oh poo poo that's sad" is

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Phineus posted:

This movie is excellent.

My short list is currently:

I'm not even sure how to describe Noi

And my all time "oh poo poo that's sad" is

Well, don't tell us about them or anything, we might actually get interested in the films if you gave us more than 'the name' and 'a poster.'

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
'Open Water' is one of the best feel-bad films I've seen (again, it's based on real events).

The rather similar-sounding 'Deep Water' is a film-length documentary about Donald Crowhurst, a British amateur yachtsman who entered a round-the-world race in his prototype catamaran, Teignmouth Electron:

If you've never heard of Crowhurst, just get this and watch it, without doing any online research...if you're prepared to be haunted forever. Colin Firth is set to star in a movie version of this, but I can't see how it can outdo the impact of the original tale, which unfolds like something Joseph Conrad might have written in an especially pitiless mood.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Just finished watching this and it's not the most brutal horror film of all time or anything but it felt so god drat plausible, it's kind of like British Deliverance meets Lord of the Flies. Every Guardian reader's secret nightmare.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nothing more depressing than watching 2 Japanese children struggle and eventually die after their home town is firebombed during WWII.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This is a film for purging tears from your body.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Waltz With Bashir is about a traumatized Israeli Lebanon war vet who slowly remembers his involvement in the Sabra and Shatila massacre. Most of the characters are real people and the interviews with them did happen so in a way, it's a documentary that happens to be animated. The ending was so intense that by the time the credits rolled, I could barely breathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzWlCKqgeI

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Almost all of the 5th Generation Chinese Movies are depressing as gently caress. Basically gently caress the cultural revolution / Chinese mid 20th century history.

Farewell my Concubine Never want to hear that loving shrieking instrument again. Nauseating movie.

The Blue Kite. Just leaves you feeling numb.

To Live. Weird because of it's relentless optimistic tone in light of supremely hosed up poo poo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Das Boot. That ending is just a god-drat sucker punch of depression.

Also, The Boy In The Striped Pajamas is precision made to remove tears from you.

Gyro Zeppeli has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Apr 20, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Dogville is I think the most depressing of Lars Von Trier's movies, basically about a woman who is held hostage in a small town where everyone is complicit in her captivity and the abuse she suffers.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Which is super obvious and

Which might not be the scariest horror movie, but it's certainly the most depressing

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Probably not as bad as some of the ones posted here, but my mother is convinced that Benny and Joon is funny and not incredibly depressing. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

This movie just bums the hell out of me.

Too trippy to be taken very seriously but still enough of a drain to make the list.

SkinkEye
Apr 6, 2009

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Dogville is I think the most depressing of Lars Von Trier's movies, basically about a woman who is held hostage in a small town where everyone is complicit in her captivity and the abuse she suffers.

This and the sort-of-sequel Manderlay, holy poo poo.
Just a parade of awful in incredibly well done movies.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Happiness.

A film where a 12 year old boy masturbating on the balcony of a hotel room over a sunbathing woman and coming in to tell his mother and aunts that he came is the 'uplifting' ending.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Apr 20, 2015

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Edward Scissorhands is just sad.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BrigadierSensible posted:

Happiness.

A film where a 12 year old boy masturbating on the balcony of a hotel room over a sunbathing woman and coming in to tell his mother and aunts that he came is the 'uplifting' ending.

You could say it was a happy ending.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Frostwerks posted:

You could say it was a happy ending.

Happier than the one his father gave his friend on a 'playdate'.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

After reading the wikipedia articles for just a few of these movies, I think I'm going to get drunk and watch The Yellow Submarine.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

wikipedia posted:

Frozen Land (Finnish: Paha maa) is a 2005 Finnish drama film (...) When a schoolteacher is sacked, he projects his bad mood at his troubled teenage son. The son, in turn, buys a CD player from a pawnshop with counterfeit money. This starts a chain reaction of misery as every victim projects his problems on to another person.

Literally nothing good happens to any of the characters in this movie. I made the mistake of getting drunk and watching this film after getting dumped by my gf and it hosed me up for weeks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Irréversible

Roger Ebert posted:

"Irréversible" is a movie so violent and cruel that most people will find it unwatchable.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100329102315/http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030314/REVIEWS/303140303/1023

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Apr 20, 2015

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Aside from most of the OP these are my favorite depressing movies

quote:

Amoral teen Telly (Leo Fitzpatrick) has made it his goal to sleep with as many virgin girls as possible -- but he doesn't tell them that he's HIV positive. While on the hunt for his latest conquest, Telly and his best friend, Casper (Justin Pierce), smoke pot and steal from shops around New York.

quote:

The film outlines the daily lives of two punks in Salt Lake City, Utah in the fall of 1985: Stevo and his best friend, "Heroin" Bob; Stevo narrates the film. The nickname "Heroin" is ironic, as Bob is afraid of needles and actually believes that any drug (with the notable exception of alcohol and cigarettes) is inherently dangerous.

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain

This movie hosed me up for awhile and I'll probably not watch it again.

The 12 minute rape scene and the fire extinguisher, christ.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

I found Irreversible unwatchable, but not because of the content. The constantly moving camera gave me motion sickness (and supposedly the first half hour or so plays a subaudible sound intended to induce nausea).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
seven pounds was pretty depressing in its manipulative way

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think The Road would be on the top of my list. After that, I'd probably pick some war movies like Fury or Black Hawk Down - they do have somewhat happy endings but the events before that are always pretty depressing.

Chthon
May 29, 2013
Lilya 4-Ever is about an Estonian girl that becomes a victim of the sex trade and is probably the most depressing movie I've seen that hasn't already been mentioned, really bleak and realistic but also very well-executed.

Although I haven't seen a lot of the movies on this list, it seems to be pretty appropriate for this thread and I use this website quite often when looking for movies that fit some specific category:

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/20-great-soul-crushing-films-that-are-worth-your-time/

e: Just thought of a pretty recent example, "Prisoners" with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal, about the disappearance of two young girls and the extremes their fathers go to to get them back. Not quite as soul-crushing as most of the movies already mentioned and iirc it has a somewhat happy ending but there are some pretty heavy and disturbing moments throughout the movie.

Chthon has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Apr 20, 2015

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
I just remembered 'A Certain Kind of Death' – a documentary film about what happens when someone dies without any next of kin, which may well have already cropped up on 'scary/unnerving' threads, so apologies if it's been done to -- erm, death. It's still one of the best documentaries I've seen and it turns out it's now on Youtube.

Fairly obvious warning: it contains images of the decomposing bodies of real people, starting about 40 seconds in, when the camera flips straight from a man's 3-weeks-dead foot to show his whole body, slumped on the toilet.

Less obvious warning: those images are not the thing that will stick most in your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErooOhzE268

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A great movie I never want to watch again

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
I always thought Countdown to Looking Glass was a harrowing and humbling movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSSUEdLcvg

The intro explains the premise of the film far better than I could. Essentially, a nuclear exchange between the United States and the Soviet Union. What makes this movie so brilliant (if you can suspend some of your belief of the White House forcing banks to stop all transactions) is the slow, eventual tension and escalation of conflict until... :boom:

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
If you want to feel bummed Brazil always does it for me. Not only is it a movie where the "happy" ending is the main character going insane due to torture, it was frighteningly correct about what SWAT teams would look like today, 30 years after it was made. Just make sure you watch the real version. There's a version out there where they cut out important parts at the end to make the ending nonsensically happy, completely subverting the intended message.

Domus has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Apr 20, 2015

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Never Let Me Go is pretty bleak about mortality.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is exhausting. It shows you that the town of Twin Peaks isn't actually charming or funny, its rotten to the core. I hate the world and everyone in it after I watch this movie.

I Saw the Devil will also make you lose faith in humanity. Don't watch it thinking youre going to get any "gently caress yea!", typical revenge flick moments. It builds up those expectations and then shits all over them.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Apr 20, 2015

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Stroszek, one of my all time favourite films.

Watch this scene to get an idea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmOZrAazd5c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

It took me a few tries to finish Crazy Heart. Really profoundly sad story about alcoholism and what it does to people. Depressing as gently caress movie

• Locked thread