Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Heading home from the bar, gonna cook some stuffed peppers when I get there! Pictures to come :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I promised pepps, and I intend to deliver pepps.

PEPPISODE ONE: THE FILLING MENACE

I started off with three small yellow onions, finely chopped, and about five cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped. I put them into a hot pan with a bit of safflower oil, then added salt and my spices.

I used a blend of cayenne pepper, paprika, turmeric, black pepper, and a bit of sage. I wanted to use cumin, but I lost mine in the divorce and my roommates don't have any, so I used garam masala instead.

After sauteing the onions, it was time to add the meat. My roommates are vegan and I'm usually vegetarian, so I used fake meat. One package of ground "beef" from Trader Joe's and a vegetarian sausage, finely chopped.

Once the beef and sausage had cooked with the onions for a few minutes, I noticed the pan was starting to get a bit dry. We don't have any tomatoes or tomato sauce, so I added some vegetable stock

Next came the rice and some more stock

INPEPPTION

My nice boiled pepps

Stuffed with filling. The two furthest to the right have the tops covered with pepper jack cheese.

See these pepps? These are some nice pepps.

PEPPFECTION!

These were very good, and I haven't been the biggest fan of stuffed peppers in the past. Some notes for next time:

The garam masala worked very well. I almost wish there had been more sweetness to complement it, so next time I'm going to try adding raisins to the filling. I also used a lot of cayenne. It doesn't bother me, because I have a high spice tolerance, but I'm definitely dialing it back if I'm cooking for company.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
So, this might be can of worms territory since we've been cooking but not really playing mafia, but I want to take a second and complain about current mod meta (no offense 100yrs).

I've played a few games after a long break and coming back I'm noticing that there's a new trend of 1-shot bulletproof needing to choose which night to use their BP. Two out of four games I've signed up for have had this mechanic and it doesn't make sense to me -- not to discuss something ongoing, but El Dorado had a one shot BP who didn't trigger his ability and died in the night, and last night I bought cumin and it turned out to be the same thing. One shot, but you have to trigger it, if you don't get targeted then it's still gone, and if you're targeted for a kill on a night you don't trigger it, you're still dead.

This makes like zero sense to me because back when I was playing regularly, BP was a passive ability and a one shot just meant that at any time in the game if you were targeted for a kill then it would protect you -- once. Being targeted a second time, you'd die. Needing to predict when you're gonna get hit in order to use an ability just doesn't work in my head, basically a one shot BP with that stipulation makes less than no sense and I'm trying to figure out how it's an advantage that one could actually use rather than a coinflip crapshoot. Help me out y'all, explain how that fits into game balance.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Look Under The Rock posted:

El Dorado had a one shot BP who didn't trigger his ability and died in the night

:ghost: Stop talking about ongoing games, especially ones where you apparently have no idea what you are talking about. :ghost:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

So, this might be can of worms territory since we've been cooking but not really playing mafia, but I want to take a second and complain about current mod meta (no offense 100yrs).

I've played a few games after a long break and coming back I'm noticing that there's a new trend of 1-shot bulletproof needing to choose which night to use their BP. Two out of four games I've signed up for have had this mechanic and it doesn't make sense to me -- not to discuss something ongoing, but El Dorado had a one shot BP who didn't trigger his ability and died in the night, and last night I bought cumin and it turned out to be the same thing. One shot, but you have to trigger it, if you don't get targeted then it's still gone, and if you're targeted for a kill on a night you don't trigger it, you're still dead.

This makes like zero sense to me because back when I was playing regularly, BP was a passive ability and a one shot just meant that at any time in the game if you were targeted for a kill then it would protect you -- once. Being targeted a second time, you'd die. Needing to predict when you're gonna get hit in order to use an ability just doesn't work in my head, basically a one shot BP with that stipulation makes less than no sense and I'm trying to figure out how it's an advantage that one could actually use rather than a coinflip crapshoot. Help me out y'all, explain how that fits into game balance.

Because this game is a collection of 1shot powers that you purchase, I think it is not the norm. This is not the way BP usually works, but in this case a 1-shot hide essentially.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

:ghost: Stop talking about ongoing games, especially ones where you apparently have no idea what you are talking about. :ghost:

Apologies. I was trying to start some kind of discussion and went about it the wrong way.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Apologies. I was trying to start some kind of discussion and went about it the wrong way.

Probably this isn't the thread for that discussion, irregardless

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I made a thing tonight. Thank you for your parting gift CapitalistPig, this was extremely tasty. The sauce worked well, pretty sharp but went nicely with the rabbit. Base of steamed baby kale, baby spinach and pea shoots, I was going to do Chantenay carrots too but I couldn't be bothered in the end. I think maybe rice would have been better than the bread I used.

Sautéed Rabbit with Cumberland Sauce

Think I need to crack out my dSLR, these phone photos are sort of crummy looking.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
Hey Cookfia goons! I found this thread too late to get in on the game, but 100 has graciously allowed me to contribute a guest spectator recipe. I offer esquites, an off-the-cob version of elotes, or Mexican street corn traditionally served coated in a spicy mayo-based sauce and cheese. This salad is lightened up a bit, but keeps 100% of the flavor. Plus, it doesn't require a grill, so it's perfect for apartment dwellers or when the weather isn't perfect.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 4-5 ears fresh corn, depending on size
  • 1 bunch scallions
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro
  • Medium jalapeno
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 oz cotija or feta cheese
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise (I used canola-based)
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • Chili powder and salt to taste

Start by stripping your corn from the cob. I have a fancy gadget to do it, but a knife will work just fine too. Try to get the kernels as close to whole as you can, but there's no need to stress about it. You're looking to get about 3 cups of corn.

Then, heat your oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Once it's nice and hot (you can test by tossing a kernel or two in,) add your corn. Toss it a few times to coat, and then don't touch it again for at least two minutes. We're not just looking to cook the corn - we want to get it nice and brown and caramelized. After two minutes, you can stir it a couple of times - should be starting to look like this:

Beautiful. Keep up that cycle - two minutes, then stir, two minutes, stir, etc - while you prep the rest of your ingredients.

Now, slice up the greens from a bunch of scallions (save the white parts for another recipe or your next batch of stock. You should come up with half a cup or so. That goes into a mixing bowl. Then chop a handful of cilantro, to your taste - anywhere between a quarter and half a cup is fine. I added at least a third cup to mine.

Cut the jalapeno in half, and remove the seeds (and ribs too, if you aren't a huge fan of spice.) Slice the pepper into thin batons and then mince those into small, uniform pieces. That goes into the bowl as well.

Are you stirring your corn? It should be starting to look like this. You should also be hearing some popping sounds from the pan, almost like you're making popcorn - if you're not, turn the heat up a little.

Time to add the rest of the ingredients to your bowl. That's a tablespoon of lime juice, two tablespoons of mayo, and two ounces of cheese - cotija if you can find it, but if not feta will do just fine. Don't forget a healthy pinch of salt and chili powder to taste.

Mix that up. Aww yeah.

And add your corn. This should be smelling amazing right about now.

And you're done! I like this best warm, but it's pretty good cold too. Would make a great side dish for a picnic, or a sandwich, or pretty much anything else you'd like to serve with it.

We enjoyed it with enchiladas suizas with homemade roasted tomatillo salsa - delicious, but not very picturesque.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I am enjoying the cooking but I guess we should try and hunt some bad people eventually too, we can't go every day with a no lynch. I've been out of the game a while but if I recall how this works I'm meant to throw an apparently non-serious and wild accusation at someone and then cleverly read all sorts of stuff into their defense and the comments that other people make about it.

CCKeane I'm going to let you off on your HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS accusations of CP being scum because surely you wouldn't make such a bold bluff so early in the game. What's going on with you two, Chic Trombone and Alisdair Crawfish? I feel like you've not even started playing yet and not a cooking photo between you yet. Too busy plotting together in the scumdoc?

Overall my top suspect so far is Ernie because Ernie always plays as scum.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

I am enjoying the cooking but I guess we should try and hunt some bad people eventually too, we can't go every day with a no lynch. I've been out of the game a while but if I recall how this works I'm meant to throw an apparently non-serious and wild accusation at someone and then cleverly read all sorts of stuff into their defense and the comments that other people make about it.

CCKeane I'm going to let you off on your HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS accusations of CP being scum because surely you wouldn't make such a bold bluff so early in the game. What's going on with you two, Chic Trombone and Alisdair Crawfish? I feel like you've not even started playing yet and not a cooking photo between you yet. Too busy plotting together in the scumdoc?

Overall my top suspect so far is Ernie because Ernie always plays as scum.

There's not exactly a lot of mafia going on right now so it's not like there's much playing to be done. Also, I don't really have regular kitchen access currently since I live in a dorm, I will week after next when the semester finally ends though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Chic Trombone posted:

There's not exactly a lot of mafia going on right now so it's not like there's much playing to be done.

Yeah I know that's why I thought I would make a post about playing mafia, to try and start us off with some sort of game discussion.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Though don't get me wrong I'm mainly here for the cooking.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Chic Trombone posted:

There's not exactly a lot of mafia going on right now so it's not like there's much playing to be done. Also, I don't really have regular kitchen access currently since I live in a dorm, I will week after next when the semester finally ends though.

##vote Chic

To be clear, this isn't because you don't have kitchen access, it is because you responded so quickly to bsm but only when specifically called out.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

And the response was flat. I mean it wasn't untrue, but it was brushing off the lack of participation rather than engaging it.

Chic is my scum lock for the game.

Ok, that is a bit strong, but I am still voting there.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

##vote chic trombone trying to delay discussion so we'll waste day cycles eh?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

The discussion you were trying to start was one that belongs in the Discussion Thread, not in a game thread. If we want to talk about something we should talk about this game, not about role theorycrafting

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Look under this vote for scummier play than Chic's response.

##vote LUTR

No, really, pouncing on the first semiserious discussion of the day with an overblown accusation. LUTR is scum.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

Look under this vote for scummier play than Chic's response.

##vote LUTR

No, really, pouncing on the first semiserious discussion of the day with an overblown accusation. LUTR is scum.

Oh gently caress you, as if there was anything else worth voting.

I was like a hairs breadth from replacing out earlier today, please for the love of everything holy, lynch me so you all can learn to cook Dutch baby

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Oh gently caress you, as if there was anything else worth voting.

I was like a hairs breadth from replacing out earlier today, please for the love of everything holy, lynch me so you all can learn to cook Dutch baby

It isn't the vote that is the problem by itself, it was the addition of the delay comment. It makes little sense and looks like you wanted to hop on with a tagalong justification. Also dutch baby sounds like I would want to cook it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hello I am playing this game now apparently.

How do I play it why are we all making food right now I thought it was supposed to happen later?

Is it day 1 or 2? It's day 2 right?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Also 100yrs hasn't sent me my role yet. Am I scum or town? Scum PM me if so.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

EccoRaven posted:

Hello I am playing this game now apparently.

How do I play it why are we all making food right now I thought it was supposed to happen later?

Is it day 1 or 2? It's day 2 right?

It's day 2 and you can cook cpig or 100yrs

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
CPig had rabbit right?

Meat is murder.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

It isn't the vote that is the problem by itself, it was the addition of the delay comment. It makes little sense and looks like you wanted to hop on with a tagalong justification. Also dutch baby sounds like I would want to cook it.

Yeah I actually made that post before I saw you vote chic but w/e

Dutch baby is amazing and you'll get a second date.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
##vote LUTR

Hello Ecco!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hello

Scum have not PM'd me yet, that means the scum is probably not EXAKT or LUTR or Anonymous Narcotics, assuming I too am scum.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Yeah I have no idea how to make rabbit without rabbit.

The peppers I'm gonna make later this week with beans instead of beef.

I can do the pasta but I already made spaghetti tonight (enough to last me until Friday) and I don't wanna eat more pasta sometime soon :(

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Use a vegetti!

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

:aaa: You can make pasta out of cucumber?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Does this require me buying another kitchen tool? Ugh. It looks really good though.

Also that person's nails are pissing me off.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Chic Trombone posted:

The discussion you were trying to start was one that belongs in the Discussion Thread, not in a game thread. If we want to talk about something we should talk about this game, not about role theorycrafting

The discussion thread has vanished from my bookmarks and I can't find it linked anywhere so BLEHHH

Role theory aside I basically was trying to remind people that we're playing mafia

Unless we're just cooking and voting people at random which is totes fine with me

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

The discussion thread has vanished from my bookmarks and I can't find it linked anywhere so BLEHHH

Oh honey

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653154

Page 1 of TG

Unless we're just cooking and voting people at random which is totes fine with me
Yeah this was an easy game to get caught up on. On which to get caught up. On which to get upwardly caught.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Harold Krell posted:

:aaa: You can make pasta out of cucumber?

It's zucchini :eng101:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

EccoRaven posted:

Does this require me buying another kitchen tool? Ugh. It looks really good though.

Also that person's nails are pissing me off.

What's wrong with her nails?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah I'll admit I didn't look very hard, i have Reasons for avoiding the discussion thread

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
:ghost: FYI, Vegetti sucks and is practically useless, unless you want to turn half of a random vegetable into a vaguely pastalike shape and possibly injure yourself in the process. :ghost:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'll be happy to explain the mechanics and my choices afterwards.

Also indeed Ecco is truly in the game. I slept through his replacement... I think all the relevant information has been sent as of now. I've also updated the player list and all that. If I've forgotten to do anything just let me know. So goodbye PropagandaMachine bienvenue EccoRaven!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Hello EccoRaven!

EccoRaven posted:

Hello

Scum have not PM'd me yet, that means the scum is probably not EXAKT or LUTR or Anonymous Narcotics, assuming I too am scum.
To be clear, did you end up being scum or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

##vote LUTR

Hello Ecco!

The other votes smack of early game over-eagerness to pounce on apparent scumminess (ignoring that it's d2 cos we didn't really do anything) that I think is probably town jumping at shadows, but you slipping in a vote on LUTR has a different feel to it. A scum feel ##vote eakt

• Locked thread