Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The answer is probably that Hiigarans are predisposed to be religious whackjobs and are doing it for the sake of symbolism and because she's some kind of Messiah figure. Also the reason why they don't just give up their core to Makaan so he'll leave them alone, it's theirs and they want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He calls the fleet 'Sobani' immediately after so I think it's obvious what he means. And remember, Soban is the mercenary Kiith, that you're never born into, you have to renounce your old family ties. And they never give up until their contract is done.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So, OK, hang on, let me get this totally straight.

An interceptor does 37 damage. It's shooting a frigate which has MediumArmor, so it multiplies the damage by 0.7. And that's actually working as intended? There's no bug there?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In the original they had no idea what they were doing, they were dropping out of hyperspace by killing power to the thing when they guesstimated they'd gone far enough.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

E: I guess it's a spoiler.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Couple of dozen on a frigate, about 50 on a Heavy Cruiser. That's from the HW1 manual.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

150 then, that's what I was thinking of. Easy mistake to make.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yeah, no problem, I wasn't calling you out. I was giving the only confirmed crew number that I could find. I agree though that the Homeworld documentation doesn't really have exact numbers other than this one so they leave it up to your imagination. Also, if modern nuclear aircraft carriers have complements of 3000 to run their operations, imagine how much automation is being used in a HW1 carrier to limit the crew to 150 or less.

I remember where I got the number for frigates now, I'm pretty sure the story in Cataclysm's manual about the guy who was the last of his Kiith and decided to go bounty hunting in a frigate mentions that the crew was about 25.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

It's worth pointing out that the number of Keepers that spawn at the start
Oops.

E: Actually you called them Keepers almost every time.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 1, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We saw missiles raining down on Hiigara in a cutscene but yeah.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Great design, too. Very cool ship.

E:and if I recall right it always focuses on the biggest warship it can find. Destroyers are bait.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If the Naabal is destroyed, you don't fail tye mission, oddly enough. You have to wait a bit and a replacement shipyard is sent in. It's in your best interest to keep the thing alive though, it has a health bonus over other shipyards.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's really designed more to be auto-overwhelming.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So why do you never move your Carrier? You just leave it sitting next to the Pride of Hiigara like some vestigial secondary build queue.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, you could move it up with the fleet to keep your fighters resupplied. Or you could have sent it off to the second fragment to replace collectors while the Mothership was trundling off to the third.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought it was intentional cause you said "There's nothing left to say so on with the mission" then said nothing thereafter.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bloodly posted:

I really wish you'd have been able to check the stats on the mission 10 Keeper, though I'm uncertain how possible that could have been. I'd like to have been certain whether it was using the right one.

There's two versions of the 'keeper' in the data. One has 120,000 HP, for your first encounter. The other is meant to be specific to Mission 10(Where it's also supposed to show up in numbers), and has 420,000 HP. For the record, the Mothership has 200,000, Dreadnaught has 500,000, Bentus has 800,000 and Sajuuk itself has 350,000.

If it was using the wrong one, it'd explain why it was dying so quick.

It's pretty easy to check the stats of your enemies, just select the thing and it'll show up at the bottom.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You said there wasn't room for a second Dreadnaught where we got ours, there actually was, there's a second Dreadnaught dock drifting outside the playable area in that level.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I always just assumed they went back and salvaged it once Hiigara was liberated. I mean, they had to dump it and run to get back to Hiigara in time, but it's not like the PoH was in an danger of falling into the Balcora trinary or anything.

Sajuuk is basically a go-anywhere starship now that it's got all three hyperspace cores in it, and if it can jump out of Balcora with no problem, it can sure as poo poo jump back into Balcora, right?

Funny, I never actually noticed that myself when I played the game. I always assumed that the second Dreadnaught was docked on the underside of the dock structure. Though that does pose the question, if both Dreadnaughts were in spitting distance of one another... Why didn't Makaan just take both of them at the same time? :psyduck:

Maybe the other one's Keeper was broken?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah they were developed for HW1. They were the first design for the T-mat, the mysterious pirate race that would just turn up, gently caress you up and leave.

E: And you've said that in the captions. Should really watch the videos through first.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 10, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Those missiles look an awful lot like Taiidan resource collectors.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, I mean, you can come into basically any mission with gently caress-all and be completely hosed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In skirmish mode you can build Hyperspace Modules on carriers to call in more, but I doubt the same applies for SP.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xenomorph?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What does it launch them into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was hoping you'd say 'the Sun'. Guess I'll have to keep looking...

• Locked thread