Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This game isn't as good as it's two predecessors, but I liked the story. It's science-fantasy instead of science-fiction, but that's fine with me. The design flaws are what prevented me from replaying the game more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PurpleXVI posted:

Is it a spoiler if I say that HW2 is out to poo poo on everything from Homeworld in some way, including the Bentusi?

It would be if it were true.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AltaBrown posted:

Y'all are not making me want to follow this lp. It's sounding like I should just cherish the memories of the first two games, and pretend HW2 never happened.

The game's story is perfectly fine, it's just science-fantasy now instead of straight up science-fiction. I think a lot of the people in the thread are overreacting. It's mainly the gameplay that's much weaker than it was in HW1 and HW:Cataclysm.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Bentusi showing up was awesome. Also, notice how they can fly into their hyperspace window instead of being motionless and the window "consuming" the ship? Amazing.

Now we learn more about the overarching story. While it's admittedly of a different nature than in the two previous games, it's pretty engaging if you approach it open-minded.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

theblastizard posted:

I imagine the reason the Somtaaw disagreed with sticking the Warp Core into the Pride of Higaara was that they designed a better warp core that jumps even farther.

That's very unlikely.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The final two missions are fine, I don't care what the detractors are saying. The story gets a nice finish, and especially the final was exciting to play through.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

berryjon posted:

... :confused:

Are you sure you were playing Homeworld 2?

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm were better games, especially Cataclysm. But I still enjoyed HW2, even though I only replayed it once. The middle section does suck.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Slaan posted:

gently caress, why did the Hiigarans just destroy the drat gate. Boom, no more Vaygr threat with the big bad stuck in the middle of a black hole.

And Hiigara would be lost if they didn't use the portal, as we will see in the last mission. Good thing that they didn't destroy the portal then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Let's talk about the large failure of logic in berryjon's opening statement:

1. None of the Hiigarans knew that they could just have walked away from the Balcora Gate to trap Makaan in there. So it's not the writing's fault that they didn't act with the benefit of hindsight, since that's impossible outside of time-traveling stories.

2. As we will see in the last mission, the absence of Makaan doesn't stop the Vaygr in their ultimate assault on Hiigara. And this assault would at least have resulted in the obliteration of planetary life if the Hiigarans didn't get Sajuuk. So the initial statement that all they had to do was to lose the last mission is very wrong.

This mission was awesome, as a kid my mind was blown that Sajuuk turned out to be a starship. This mission and the next are certainly among the best parts of Homeworld 2, I really enjoyed them. We get a nice new toy in the final mission, it's a lot of fun to use it.

• Locked thread