Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hmmm... I suppose I could be persuaded to play a game of Mafia again...

If there's still room, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Confirmed

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Let's see if I can remember how this goes...

##vote kleedrac

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Like riding a bicycle.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Am I still allowed to call people idiots?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Wanting to have fun in the first few hours of D1 isn't scummy, though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And you're jumping to conclusions based on flavour, based on a limited understanding of TNG.

What about that episode where Q has been kicked out of the continuum and needs the captains help? Maybe Q hasn't got any power in this game and is a survivor.

Or the one where he makes Riker immortal? Maybe AXE COP's role is to find Riker, make him immortal and win the game for town.

Maybe he can see everyone's alignment because he's pan-dimensional and is going to play chess with Picard the entire game because he can, only to get beaten because of his own hubris.

Maybe flavour arguments are facile and you're an idiot.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

AXE COP posted:

relax a little man

I read this as "relax, little man", and I approved of the Q-like phrasing

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm looking forward to seeing who got Deanna Troi, and will pipe up after every scum flip to tell us that the lynchee was hiding something.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I agree that AXE COP should give us some information, but to advocate lynching two players for not wanting to lynch Q is bad and stupid.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It is also almost completely irrelevant what AXE COP says his role is, he will be lying.

And even knowing that, I won't be voting for him today. Even if he dayvigs someone.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because it'll be fun. Like voting for Lumpen regardless of alignment, it anomaly improve the game.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Byers is scum. I will put together a D1 case later and it will knock your loving socks off.

In the meantime, who wants me to nominate them and why?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's time for a Platonic Dialogue!

Ion: I hypothesise that the best way for scum to win is to remain hidden
Socrates: And how do they achieve this?
Ion: By preventing the town from scum-hunting
Socrates: And the best way to prevent scum-hunting is?
Ion: Directing conversation in such a way as to make everyone fixate on one subject

Byers2142 posted:

AXE COP, what's your role here? Your wincon? You got called out special, I'd like to know what we can expect from you.

Byers2142 posted:

I'd like to hear from him, about his purpose. AXE COP, answer or I try to drive a lynch on you today.

Byers2142 posted:

I don't know anything about Q except he's a prick, and I don't really care what his flavor is. It's a simple question for AXE COP to answer, and if he won't I'm assuming malicious intent.

Socrates: But this seems a rather obvious ploy. Why would the town not spot this behaviour and realise that it is insidious in nature?
Ion: Because it is couched in self-praise and language that promotes the view that it is not scum behaviour, but the opposite!

Byers2142 posted:

I'm saying AC is Q and isn't working with us which suggests an anti-town mentality.
I think scum would wan to keep an openly revealed 3P in the game for confusion and cover down the road

Byers2142 posted:

From a game perspective, why would you not even entertain the thought of a vote on AXE COP in that situation.

Byers2142 posted:

He's a special wacky role and he's acting in an anti-town manner, and you want to, what, rando-lynch D1 and let him live?

Socrates: Ah, so by implying that his is the only correct town behaviour, he suggests that any player who disagrees is scum!
Ion: Precisely. And not simply implying, he states that those who disagree with him are scum.

Byers2142 posted:

One of KFC or f_v is likely scum, and if AXE COP keeps on with this I'm going to vote him in about 12 hours.

Socrates: I am unconvinced. All you've shown me is behaviour that is misguided town in nature, rather than scummy.
Ion: You're scum for disagreeing with me, Socrates! No, seriously, there is more. When a town player is called out, they tend to re-evaluate themselves (especially if they are any good) and wonder whether the majority might have a point. Even if they end up sticking to their guns, some degree of introspection is usually apparent. But when a scum player is called out, they subconsciously think that any malleability in their modus operandi will be interpreted as just trying to get along with everyone else and not sticking their head above the parapet.
Socrates: So a scum player might overcompensate in their attempts to convince the town?

Byers2142 posted:

This is the hill I'm planting my flag on today, and am willing to die on over.

Socrates: Hmm, I still need more.
Ion: Well, how about the self-preservation behaviour?
Socrates: What? You just quoted him telling us he was willing to die!
Ion: I did. Regard it as hubris: When a player is scum, they are intimately more concious of the votes they are accumulating and tend to panic in the face of a lynching.
Socrates: How is this manifest?
Ion: Premature claims of being a confirmed town mason or a lover might be a good one, but no-one would actually be so stupid as to think that would work.

Byers2142 posted:

Confirmed town mason lover.

Byers2142 posted:

I'm a lover; lynch me, two town die.

Ion: Welp!
Socrates: Might a scum player under fear of being lynched also cast around with a shotgun approach, accusing anyone and everyone of being scum for no good reason, hoping that someone reacted badly enough to look scummy themselves?
Ion: Wisdom, Socrates. You are learning.

Byers2142 posted:

I don't want Hiipfire going, and I don't like his volunteering. I'm reminded of Golgotha, where scum volunteered early and often to go on the daily events.

Byers2142 posted:

Another volunteer to watch out for.

Ion: Join me, Socrates! ##Vote Byers2142

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kleedrac posted:

That said if you gently caress up HiipFire we're gonna lynch you ....
##Vote: HiipFire

Kleedrac's scum too. Says a load of stuff about how he disagrees with Byers and implies he's scummy, backs out of voting with a jokevote to avoid being accused of bandwagoning.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Byers2142 posted:

Replace me out, Asiina. I should have stuck to my guns when I initially told you no. Sorry.

I hope AXE COP wins and you all die horribly because of it.

Tell us who your scumbuddies are before you go.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And if you're town, you should give up and never play mafia again. Town asking to be replaced out in D1 is the worst thing you could do. If you're town, stay, fight your corner, make cases beyond the lovely flavour AxeCop thing. Act in a way that is protown so that if you do get lynched, your death means something.

Your current stance is about as anti-town as it gets, way more so than wanting to have fun on D1.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That is terrible.

##Vote Merk

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Amnistar posted:

Serious comment.

Send me on the mission for the following reasons.

1. My role supports me going on this mossion because if the mission has negative effects they will likely be mitigated by my role.
2. If the mission involves any kind of choices I will present them to the thread before making any decisions.
3. Sending axe cop is a silly idea.

Look, a reasonable person with sensible thoughts!

##Nominate Amnistar

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ernie. posted:

i think scientastic and amnistar should just get a room

On the holodeck

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pinterest Mom posted:

i am really Not Happy about a serious effort to get a claimed lover dunked

Good point. You should definitely believe his claim. What was I thinking?!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pinterest Mom posted:

you're making an easy, obvious case, framing it as a ~revelation~, and you have the easy out of a meltdown if it turns out byers is telling the truth. you're making exactly the case i would expect scum to make rn.

Read the quoted posts. It doesn't matter if it's easy, do you agree that the things I have quoted fit with my hypothesis or not? And if not, why not?

Calling me out for making a case on an easy target is a bit silly: He's an easy target because of his scummy behaviour.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

HiipFire posted:

this is not the "exact same" thing as a day 1 thunderdome between 2 town

I'm not reading other games: What are you talking about?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think "town meltdown" is a plausible enough explanation for his behaviour
Only for the latter part of his history. For the beginning, before his meltdown, his attempts to control the narrative of the thread and prevent real scumhunting was scummy.

Pinterest Mom posted:

and regardless of that going after a claimed lover D1 is seriously anti-town.
Only if you believe a claim made at -16 or whatever it was. And remember the claim: CONFIRMED TOWN MASON LOVER

That's like a winvirus claim.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because he latched onto a play, and when it didn't work, he freaked out and instead of staying and fighting his corner, he replaced out.

The town play is to stay in the game and try and scum hunt.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hmmm. Let me review his posts and I'll think about it. Not now, obviously. I am off to drink heavily and regret it in the morning.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Vig use was null, can't draw any conclusions from it. Except that Amnistar, like so many Mafia players, needs to learn to keep it in his pants.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm very tired. I will have another look at everyone's terrible D1 scumminess tomorrow and report my conclusions.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's like a lot of you have never played Mafia before. Dayvigs are always loving stupid, because almost everyone does exactly the same thing with them, which is kill the first person that gets in the crosshairs.

I don't know many players in this game, and it's been like three years since I last played, but vigging a random on D1 is neither town nor scum. It's just a thing that people do.

And it always results in the same thing. A load of morons jumping on the Vig because it's easy, and a load of scum piling in because it stops any real scum hunting.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Runaktla posted:

##vote Kleedrac

The exchange/voting/removal of vote of Met, then his use of these arguments feels scummy. Could quote but I'm at work/hungover still/dragging. He reads as though he is trying to do *something*, that he is having trouble coming up with a coherent argument, and has to follow other's leads typically picking on the low hanging fruit.

I concur with this.

##Vote Kleedrac

And now I am going to bed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hi there lying liar, I would like you to tell me some things.

What is the point to your post, beyond posturing?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Also his "breadcrumbing" is completely worthless. Scum get fake claims.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mornacale posted:

1) it's not just some last-minute grasp at saving himself, so it's worth seriously considering the possibility that it's true, and
2) if it's not true, then that means Mr. Star had been planning to do something incredibly scummy from the word go, which suggests to me that the phaser was in their possession from the start (and hence that we don't know the results of the Red Alert).

The point of my post, if you were referring to me as a liar for some reason I can't divine, was of course to communicate my thoughts and to ask for discussion about whether it's worth waiting to verify Amni's claim.

1. No, from the word go just means that Amnistar isn't an idiot. Scum are capable of planning things in advance. It doesn't remotely clear him.

2. No, again. Just because Amni had laid plans, there's no evidence that he had a Vig before the red alert thing.

And I wasn't calling you a liar, I was mocking the way you suggested that Amni was lying, then asked him to tell you things.

How many games of Mafia have you played?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Busy busy busy, but I have been following the thread. So I will post a case, then I will be going to bed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bandwagoning of popular targets:

Kleedrac posted:

Basically I'm not happy with how you're railing against the confirmed flavor and only trying to defend it by saying that you're "the only one playing mafia." It's bad play sir.
(Note, this post did not end with him voting for Byers)

Kleedrac posted:

For all these reasons I'm gonna go ahead and;
##Vote: Amnistar

Bad votes:

Kleedrac posted:

That said if you gently caress up HiipFire we're gonna lynch you ....
##Vote: HiipFire

Kleedrac posted:

I really dislike your entire mentality - others have started being nervous about the Q role but you take it to a new level - you're railing on one of the confirmed flavors in the game for no real reason and then claiming if discussion progresses you're going to "afk out" and lurk on us?! gently caress you.

##Vote Met

Mafia Dadding:

Kleedrac posted:

If someone tells you "my way or afk" then they aren't helping town and should be lynched.

Kleedrac posted:

OK clarification: All lies are BAD FOR THE TOWN.

Hedging:

Kleedrac posted:

This is what I think as well. Basically I can tell from my own flavor/role that flavor is probably actually tied to role in this game - so making a flavor case against a player isn't the worst thing. But by this same logic I would assume that Q is unkillable and not necessarily anti-town. It could very much be that he is town!

Kleedrac posted:

It's also very strange (to me at least) that lovers would be masons - but perhaps that's something that's useful for other reasons.
(Bolding my own)

Most importantly, my gut says that Kleedrac is scum: The whole aura of his posting is duplicitious to me. Nothing reads as the genuine writing of someone who isn't constantly self-editing to avoid loving up their scumbuddies.

Join me, vote for Kleedrac, lynch scum.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Stop voting Amnistar. He vigged someone in the same way that he would if he was scum or town; there is literally no reason to think that him vigging Ernie is a scumtell. If you think he's scum, post a case that's not "he stupidly vigged someone". Otherwise, vote for someone who has a genuine case on them, like Kleedrac.

Who, incidentally, was the third vote on Amnistar. THIRD VOTE SCUM VOTE.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Met posted:

Amnistar is my choice right now because of the deceit.

That is a stupid reason to vote for someone. What about "the deceit" makes him scum? Seriously, no-one has articulated at all why Amnistar is scum, they've just said why he's bad at mafia.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I hope someone else with a brain can do a better job of persuading people to vote for scum, because I need to go to bed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What is a stump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Even if Taste is telling the truth, it's not a stone cold case: there have been plenty of games where non-town have been somehow able to manipulate town into performing their nk. I've run one, I'm pretty sure Ecco has too.

I buy Somber's claim that he has no night role way more than I'd buy any other sort of claim.

• Locked thread