Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
I said I didn't have time for this, but gently caress it. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

I'm going to wander drunkenly through this game's flavor since, as I told Asiina, I've never really watched TNG and have no idea who I or most of the characters are. I almost did a gimmick where I posted as Qui-Gon Jinn, trapped in a strange new universe after his death.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

That sounds like fun.

I was afraid it would ruin Asiina's flavor to have a Jedi running around testing everyone for Mitichlorians, only to find that Wesley was the next chosen one.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Amnistar posted:

...are you my real daddy?

If I say yes, am I looking at a large child support back-bill?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Amnistar posted:

Nope, but you do have to listen to all my brilliant ideas and tell Picard to put me on the bridge because I'm a genius.

Then no, I'm not your father. Try my bro Annie, he tends to leave offspring just lying around.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

fiery_valkyrie posted:

only kidding. I will never watch that movie.

That's fair; it's my response to the fourth Indiana Jones movie.

AXE COP, what's your role here? Your wincon? You got called out special, I'd like to know what we can expect from you.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

It always works out for us in the end! Think how boring our voyage would be without his occasional visits.

I'd like to hear from him, about his purpose. AXE COP, answer or I try to drive a lynch on you today.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

Because mafia works best as a chill game for cool people I would prefer to keep Q around at least a while to see if hilarity ensues.

What kind of mafia have you been playing? It's not SA mafia, that's for sure.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

I don't know anything about Q except he's a prick, and I don't really care what his flavor is. It's a simple question for AXE COP to answer, and if he won't I'm assuming malicious intent.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So you're assuming that Asiina
  • created an unusual role
  • told us this unusual role exists
  • told us who has this unusual role

and your immediate reaction is to focus on this player as an easy lynch target?

No, my immediate reaction is to ask that person what's going on with their unusual role. Ignoring that question, though, suggests a malicious intent, which is worth a vote D1.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

So here's my understanding of Q; he's Mister Mxyzptlk. He works at odds with the crew. He is an antagonist.

Given that, I think it's not just fair to ask AXE COP for an explanation, but criminally negligent not to. He came in after I started asking for this, but hasn't responded to it yet and is in fact in my eyes letting the game pass him by. If that continues in a flavor-heavy game and for which his flavor is very likely 3P, that suggests e's playing against town and you don't let a 3P remain when they're playing against town.

KFC is making a flavor argument, but he isn't really. He never says Q is good for the crew, or that it's beneficial to town to let him live. His argument is that Q is fun. f_v is dodging the fact that I'm not saying AC is Q so we need to lynch him, I'm saying AC is Q and isn't working with us which suggests an anti-town mentality.

I think scum would wan to keep an openly revealed 3P in the game for confusion and cover down the road, and are jumping on the easy case of "let it play out, if you don't you're scummy." One of KFC or f_v is likely scum, and if AXE COP keeps on with this I'm going to vote him in about 12 hours.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Scientastic posted:

And you're jumping to conclusions based on flavour, based on a limited understanding of TNG.

What about that episode where Q has been kicked out of the continuum and needs the captains help? Maybe Q hasn't got any power in this game and is a survivor.

Or the one where he makes Riker immortal? Maybe AXE COP's role is to find Riker, make him immortal and win the game for town.

Maybe he can see everyone's alignment because he's pan-dimensional and is going to play chess with Picard the entire game because he can, only to get beaten because of his own hubris.

Maybe flavour arguments are facile and you're an idiot.

No, I'm really not. It's a special role, publicly identified. That requires special consideration. I didn't make a flavor argument until KFC brought it up.

AXE COP posted:

Hi Byers! You seem super mad about me for some reason. I think you should chill out and relax a little man. I was asleep by the way, that's why I didn't reply to you :)

I'm not mad, I just want to know what your wincon is and any other role details you can share. I asked before you're entry post, did you not read anything last night?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

You don't know poo poo about TNG, so you can be forgiven for not making this as a base assumption, but Q is by nature fun loving, mischivious and impervious to all mortal methods of coercion.

I refuse to believe that the town's best interest is served by even attempting to Lynch Q, especially on D1. The universe is not so badly designed!

There is nothing in arguments like these that pertains to this game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I agree that AXE COP should give us some information, but to advocate lynching two players for not wanting to lynch Q is bad and stupid.

Yes, it is. It's also not what I said. One is scum, one likely isn't as scum wouldn't put two eggs into that basket early so lynching both is asinine.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Scientastic posted:

It is also almost completely irrelevant what AXE COP says his role is, he will be lying.

And even knowing that, I won't be voting for him today. Even if he dayvigs someone.

I thought the game was "Mafia," not "fellate a fictional character." If you think this, you literally think he's an anti-town role. From a game perspective, why would you not even entertain the thought of a vote on AXE COP in that situation.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Because it'll be fun. Like voting for Lumpen regardless of alignment, it anomaly improve the game.

I see three wrong things in two sentences.

AXE COP posted:

You caught me, i'm the scum godfather. Your exhaustive interrogation has crushed my defences and left me open... vulnerable... quivering :mrgw:

##vote AXE COP

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

You know Q isn't getting dunked D1. Stop doing this.

No. I refuse to accept that a minority of the game telling me that they're not going to play Mafia, they're going to let their special snowflake character do whatever he wants invalidates the fact that removing what looks like a 3P that is not acting from a town mentality is the right move.

This is my hill to die on; we're playing a game, not crafting fanfic. So play the game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is a game with a wacky special role. I think everyone wants to see how it'll play out. You're just making GBS threads in the punch bowl.

This is my point; you're not playing the game. No one has made a defense of AXE COP, everyone just wants to let the role survive without really knowing what the role is. He's a special wacky role and he's acting in an anti-town manner, and you want to, what, rando-lynch D1 and let him live? Because you care more about the role, the flavor, and the canon than about playing the game properly and winning.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

chaoslord posted:

You're not playing mafia, either. You're jumping up and down demanding another player full claim. They aren't going to (Hmmmm, I wonder why someone wouldn't want to full claim Day 1?), so now instead of actually playing mafia you're trying to drum up a lynch on nothing. You say they aren't acting from a town mentality because they aren't going to claim to you? That's nuts. This is what we know about the role:

They have a non-standard role. We have no idea if they are scum, town, 3p, not actually a player, or anything else. You're stretching, between the above saying Axe Cop is already acting non-town and this

Yes, because there is no other reason a person wouldn't full claim on Day 1. Hey, question, what is your role again?

Confirmed town mason lover.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

AXE COP posted:

I'm a beautiful pretty unique snowflake and there's nothing you can do about it. :) Don't hate me cus you ain't me

This is why you should lynch AXE COP, and are being idiots for not. Not the role, the attitude. This is anti-town, but because you all get your panties wet over Q you're letting him get away with it.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Uh. No, the fun is like, what I mentioned at the very end. As a supplement. You're misunderstanding or misrepresenting. If you want it in game mechanical terms. I'm saying that the chance of q having at least one layer of lynchproof/deathproof Is close to 100 percent, ergo threats designed to make him talk based on threat of lynch are going to be fruitless as will trying to lynch him, ergo loving around with this line of thought at all is actively bad for the town

So even though he's anti-town, which no one is arguing against, we just throw up our hands and let him do whatever. I do not, I can not accept that level of defeatism. It's sad that the Trekkies in this game have less moral fortitude than the Star Trek parody classic. You are either lazy, or cowards, and I won't fall into line with that. I live by a higher ideal.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

AXE COP posted:

Why do you think I'm anti town?

Asiina marked you out specially. You're something unique, but that uniqueness means you're likely not normal town. I asked you for your wincon and whatever you can supply about your role, and you dodged the question. Town would have been forthcoming, even a 3P that works with town would have been. Asiin's treatment of your role marks you as special. your actions (or lack thereof) marks you as anti-town.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Right. You weren't making an argument about alignment based on flavor in that post, you making an argument that the roles was fun. That has no bearing on the game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

AXE COP posted:

I can tell you that my current win condition is not particularly anti-town. Many things are subject to change however... :speculate:

If you win right now, are you removed from the game?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

HiipFire posted:

Can I nominate myself?

Doesn't look like. "Another player"

##nominate VivaNova

Who Should I Nominate?: 1d25 25

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Or mod says yes, whatever.

I don't want Hiipfire going, and I don't like his volunteering. I'm reminded of Golgotha, where scum volunteered early and often to go on the daily events.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Amnistar posted:

Send me. My childish innocence and genius will ensure that the mission is a success!

Or I'll die horribly and you won't have to listen to me whine about not being on the bridge.

## nominate wesley amnistar

Another volunteer to watch out for.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

HiipFire posted:

Dude how about you just scumread everyone

Nice, resort to attacking me instead of the comment.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

HiipFire posted:

Ok let me respond

You're dumb, you're wrong, I'm town, eat my butt nerd

I crumple before your rapier wit and superior logic.

AXE COP, if you win right now, are you removed from the game?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

HiipFire posted:

Ok let me respond

You're dumb, you're wrong, I'm town, eat my butt nerd

Still attacking me, the player, and trying to ignore the case, now that I look at it again. Hiipfire's scum, y'all.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

i sincerely do not care for people using RNG like this, it's such an easy way to avoid culpability

I sincerely do not like anyone's play in this game, since people have decided to play a character popularity contest over actually playing Mafia. I know one player that is 100% mod-confirmed town, but wasn't going to reveal them by nominating them, so I RNG'ed it because I had no one else I really wanted to send.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

HiipFire posted:

I'm so happy you think that your way of approaching Q is the only correct way to approach it

It's the only way put forward so far that doesn't involve a love for the character influencing or (in most cases) outright deciding how the players are voting, yes. Sometimes the majority is just wrong. This is one of those times.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rascyc posted:

It's a minigame not his vote though

Doesn't change Somber's point, which isn't a bad one. If Viva gets sent and turns out to be scum and does something to gently caress with town, my defense could be that I wasn't sending a scumbro because I RNG'ed it. That's a valid argument, that scum might hide behind an RNG.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Orvin posted:

##vote Byers2142

Others have pointed out that the mod says flavor and alignment are linked. The flavor of Q means he is very likely unkillable. So not only are you tunneling on a 3rd party, the town is doubly not going to get much information when Axe Cop isn't killed. This seems like an ideal play for scum.

I'm a lover; lynch me, two town die.

AXE COP posted:

##nominate Byers

:byewhore:

And you have this guy who's ignoring question and playing anti-town, but "He's Q" is the only reason people aren't voting him. He's not town, he's not working with town, and he's where our vote should be. This is the hill I'm planting my flag on today, and am willing to die on over.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

HiipFire posted:

lmao why would you claim lover day 1

of all the things to claim that truely is the worst one

Because I don't give a gently caress. I was asked, I gave it.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Replace me out, Asiina. I should have stuck to my guns when I initially told you no. Sorry.

I hope AXE COP wins and you all die horribly because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

HiipFire posted:

for the record I'm still gonna vote your replacement so ye

Byers2142 posted:

I hope AXE COP wins and you all die horribly because of it.

Good luck, AC, give them hell.

• Locked thread