Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Hi friends! I've never watched anime before but am interested in checking it out. None of my friends watch it (or if they do they are closet anime fans) and I was wondering what some good starter anime series would be. I don't really know what to say about my anime interests because my knowledge of it doesn't extend very much past "it''s a cartoon that adults will enjoy". Any series suggestions are appreciated!

e: I should mention that I have no interest in samurai swords, tentacles, or scantily clad cartoon girls.

morning wood fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

attack on titan

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what western shows do you like. anyway ghibli always good start

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

^^^^^^^
This, + movies/books.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cromartie high

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Redline

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I think the high rated anime on netflix is a pretty good start too. Just look for something in the top rows that sounds interesting and try it out. My personal choices from there would be Samurai Champloo, Gurren Lagann, and Welcome to the NHK. Seems they took off Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood which is a shame because it's like the number one answer to this question usually. This is all US netflix btw.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
danny you're a young man don't do it

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are you sure you're against samurai swords?

Cause Sword of the Stranger is dope as gently caress, it has one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen in an anime.

And if you like action movies then Black Lagoon is a no-brainer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anything by Shinichiro Watanabe

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

i too love kids on the slope

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki kun might be a good way to see if you like romantic comedies or not. Plus it's pretty much smut-free.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stairmaster posted:

i too love kids on the slope

Kids on the Slope is good, but not as good as Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Space Dandy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neon Genesis Evangelion

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Death Note is pretty friendly. I would recommend all the stuff that has been super popular for the last few years. So Attack on Titan, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Sword Art Online is popular but it's terrible. You can also watch stuff that have really solid dubs like Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, and Steins;Gate. It really depends what kind of genres you are interested in.

Edit: gently caress it just watch all 366 episodes of Bleach.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chihayafuru

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

littleorv posted:

Death Note is pretty friendly. I would recommend all the stuff that has been super popular for the last few years. So Attack on Titan, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Sword Art Online is popular but it's terrible. You can also watch stuff that have really solid dubs like Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, and Steins;Gate. It really depends what kind of genres you are interested in.

Edit: gently caress it just watch all 366 episodes of Bleach.

Bleach has samurai swords in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also id recommend going into movies first. mamoru hosoda does good work. Summer Wars, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
morning wood's bizzare adventure (watch Jojo's Bizzare Adventure)

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gurren Lagann

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parrotine posted:

Gurren Lagann

morning wood posted:

im not interested in... scantily clad cartoon girls.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

ghibli always good start

Admoon posted:

I think the high rated anime on netflix is a pretty good start too. Just look for something in the top rows that sounds interesting and try it out.

littleorv posted:

Death Note is pretty friendly. I would recommend all the stuff that has been super popular for the last few years. So Attack on Titan, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

You can also watch stuff that have really solid dubs like Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, and Steins;Gate. It really depends what kind of genres you are interested in.

These are the good suggestions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Watch Black Lagoon

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wait, so you don't wanna watch Princess Mononoke, possibly one of the most beautiful animated films ever produced? For shame!!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

morning wood posted:

I have no interest in samurai swords

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

But but

Giant galaxy size robots :(

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012
I agree that Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are good choices for a starter. If you wanted to check out an older title, I would suggest Saint Seiya.

Davincie posted:

what western shows do you like.

This is something I would ask as well. What piqued your interest in checking out anime?

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell -
Durarara
Nichijou
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

I think these are good to jump into

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Nobody has yet mentioned Kaiji and this is how I know that ADTRW has bad taste

Watch Kaiji.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Alternatively, anything by Satoshi Kon

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dragonball Z.

The original, uncut broadcast version.

For extra fun, watch the Ocean dub up to the Ginyu Force fight, then start back at the beginning til you're at the same place, then switch to the Funimation dub for the remainder of the series.

291 episodes if you watch the unedited version.

Have fun.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ping Pong

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The ADTRWiki has a couple of pages basically made specifically for you.

http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F
http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Top_10_Anime_by_Year

Personally I'd say Ping Pong is a show you'll probably enjoy, with no knowledge of what your tastes are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX7CydebMQo

If you want something a little more, uh, traditional anime, Attack on Titan is pretty much the go to show for people who aren't normally interested in anime, I hear.

If you want really good recommendations you might want to say something about what kind of show you'd be looking for, unless you just want everyone to list off their favorite animes, in which case I'd say Baccano!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--tfb6Cv7eY

Baccano! has the advantage of a really good dub too

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 22, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Baccano! is probably the safest possible recommendation since it avoids 99% of the weird stuff non-anime fans associate with anime, boasts a great dub with a fun cast, and covers a subject matter immediately familiar to most Westerners.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's the safest because it's really loving good, but also for those reasons

If you enjoy Baccano! you can go into Durarara!! which is basically slower paced Baccano! with a little more weird anime stuff. Good way to ease into the weird anime stuff I guess

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Baccano! is good, yes, but for a medium a lot of people come into with a load of reservations, it's nice to have something that is both good and accommodating.

There are people who won't watch Redline because it has all of like ten seconds of female nudity.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Trigun it is a short and good classic.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Dragonball Z.

The original, uncut broadcast version.

For extra fun, watch the Ocean dub up to the Ginyu Force fight, then start back at the beginning til you're at the same place, then switch to the Funimation dub for the remainder of the series.

291 episodes if you watch the unedited version.

Have fun.

dont do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oh also FLCL. It's really weird but not in the gross way.

• Locked thread