Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
  • Locked thread
Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!



Hello, folks, I'm Grimwit. This is Anchorhead.


What's Anchorshead?
Anchorhead is a 1998 IF(Interactive Fiction) by Michael S. Gentry based on the workds of H.P. Lovecraft. It has won awards and is/was remarkable for its story, length, and lack of type-os. The general plot follows a woman and her husband inheriting a house in the titular town of Anchorhead and the terror they uncover within.

Anchorhead is also big. In '86, Zork I stands about 96-98 kb (that's Kilobytes for you millenials), where Anchorhead, like a bloated toad, is a stout 508 kb, over 5 times the size. The town stretches open, allowing you to reach most of the settings before needing, some of the puzzles have multiple solutions, and there are a lot of hidden details and ambient touches. Simple things you take for granted, like getting wet when you close your umbrella or the buzzing of flies somewhere nearby.

Because of the size, Anchorhead will be a long term game. I'm not certain how many months it will take to finish. Could be one. Could be three.

The title says “Illustrated”
Ah, yes. Well...

This is sort of a me-thing. I need a routine to keep me drawing. A project, as it were, that I can do daily. I love doing Let's Plays, but I also love drawing, so I figured I would mix them like peanut butter and a rhesus monkey (Mmmm... Rhesus Peanutbutter Monkey). It'll give me something to kick start my morning before I begin working on my other comic project.

This is something of an experiment for me and I'm interested how the LP plays out.

For each update, I'll be drawing what's going on and keep track of our inventory. Just thinking of it as up'ing my CYOA game, for now.

Sounds fishy. What's the plan?
  • I'll update, beginning with a drawing of what's happening. The Game will be in Bold, my own remarks will be in regular text.
  • With in reason, I'll examine everying in game to keep everyone informed of our options.
  • At the end of each update, you goons will suggest where we go and what we do.
  • In cases where you seem to be frustrated, I'll step in and do the correct action to advance play.
  • Updates will be daily morning, my schedule permitting.

Alright, that's enough introduction. Let's get started.

Entries...




















Grimwit fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Reserved, just in case of extra ordinary activity.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!


Here's how Anchorhead greets us every single time I load up the game. Then the text begins...

November, 1997.


You take a deep breath of salty air as the first raindrops begin to spatter the pavement, and the swollen, slate-colored clouds that blanket the sky mutter ominous portents amongst themselves over the little coastal town of Anchorhead.

Squinting up into the glowering storm, you wonder how everything managed to happen so fast. The strange phone call over a month ago, from a lawyer claiming to represent the estate of some distant branch of Michael's family, was bewildering enough in itself... but then the sudden whirlwind of planning and decisions, legal details and travel arrangements, the packing up and shipping away of your entire home, your entire life...

Now suddenly here you are, after driving for the past two days straight, over a thousand miles away from the familiar warmth of Texas, getting ready to move into the ancestral mansion of a clan of relatives so far removed that not even Michael has ever heard of them. And you've only been married since June and none of this was any of your idea in the first place, and already it's starting to rain.

These days, you often find yourself feeling confused and uprooted.

You shake yourself and force the melancholy thoughts from your head, trying to focus on the errand at hand. You're to meet with the real estate agent and pick up the keys to your new house while Michael runs across town to take care of some paperwork at the university. He'll be back to pick you up in a few minutes, and then the two of you can begin the long, precarious process of settling in.

A sullen belch emanates from the clouds, and the rain starts coming down harder -- fat, cold drops smacking loudly against the cobblestones. Shouldn't it be snowing in New England at this time of year? With a sigh, you open your umbrella.

Welcome to Anchorhead...


Before we get started, let's do a little character creation, shall we?
Our main character needs a name and I need her design to draw. You make the call!

I need a FIRST NAME.

I need a LAST NAME.

Choose one of the following girls.

The Bob-Haired Bombshell.

The Girl Next Door

That One Girl from Eternal Darkness

A Rabbit (Note: no one else will be an animal)

Put you're votes in Bold please.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013


Nap Ghost

A Lovecraft game needs Lovecraft-era hair. Bobbed Bombshell.

Randolph Miranda Carter for the name.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine.




Neat, I've wanted to get into Anchorhead for years but it's always seemed to daunting to get into.

Voting for the Bobbed Bombshell. Seyser Koze already came up with a pretty good Lovecraftian name, but I'd say toss a title on there.

Dr. Carter, a faculty member at nearby Miskatonic University and descendant of Randolph.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Cool, I remember playing this back in the day and liking it a lot.

Vote for That one girl from Eternal Darkness, honestly don't think we can get a more perfect name that Miranda Carter so happy to go with that one.

Cantaloupe
Apr 18, 2009

I'll be the rollinbout


Fun Shoe

That one girl from Eternal Darkness, and Miranda Carter is fine.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?

But it's fine, I guess...


You just keep being you!


If it were 1937, I'd go for the Bob-haired Bombshell. Since it's 1997, then that one girl from Eternal Darkness. Miranda Carter is a good name.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014


Seyser Koze posted:

A Lovecraft game needs Lovecraft-era hair. Bobbed Bombshell.

Randolph Miranda Carter for the name.

Seconded.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless


Bobbed Bombshell, Carter Miranda

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

This story - this "legend" - it's ours. We can change the world - and with it, the future.



Cantaloupe posted:

That one girl from Eternal Darkness, and Miranda Carter is fine.

This.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


LashLightning posted:

If it were 1937, I'd go for the Bob-haired Bombshell. Since it's 1997, then that one girl from Eternal Darkness. Miranda Carter is a good name.

I'm pretty much in the same vote. Although I hope you save the rabbit for something. It's cute.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Votes are unanimous.
Seems we are Miranda Carter, married to Michael Carter. That girl from Eternal Darkness!

Now that we know who we are, let's get started!



ANCHORHEAD
An interactive gothic by Michael S. Gentry

(Type HELP or ABOUT for some useful information.)

Release 5 / Serial number 990206 / Inform v6.15 Library 6/7



Outside the Real Estate Office
A grim little cul-de-sac, tucked away in a corner of the claustrophobic tangle of narrow, twisting avenues that largely constitute the older portion of Anchorhead. Like most of the streets in this city, it is ancient, shadowy, and leads essentially nowhere. The lane ends here at the real estate agent's office, which lies to the east, and winds its way back toward the center of town to the west. A narrow, garbage-choked alley opens to the southeast.


As good a start as any. Alone under our umbrella in a town we, Miranda Carter, don't know. Great. Well, if Miranda is going to make this place home, let's take stock of what she has.

>look at self
You look good, considering. A bit rattled by recent events, perhaps, but well-poised and collected, all the same.

The rain slackens off momentarily to a weak drizzle, then returns afresh in a brief, freezing downpour.


>Inventory
You are wearing your wedding ring, your trenchcoat and your clothes; in addition, you have in your hand your umbrella.

The pockets of your trenchcoat are empty.


For now, they are. Miranda is a terrible kleptomaniac, as it all characters for adventure games. Why do you think she bought this trenchcoat? Given the chance, she'll be pocketing everything.

>look at ring

Staring at your wedding ring like that tends to make you sentimental.

D'aw.

>look at coat

You bought this coat during your honeymoon in England; it's a genuine London Fog. In addition to looking very cool, it has several deep pockets in which you can fit just about anything.

In the distance, you can hear the lonesome keening of a train whistle drifting on the wind.


Must be a train near by.

>Look at clothes

A tasteful ensemble from Ann Taylor in muted browns and olive greens (you've been an autumn person since you were old enough to match your own socks).

>look at umbrella

Olive green, with a hook-shaped handle. It's a handy little thing, when it rains. It's currently open.

Right, that's enough of that. We have a job to do. And that job is getting the keys to the Carter's new old house.

>look at office
The door has a glass front with the name of the real estate company -- Benson & Brackhurst -- stenciled across it. The blinds are drawn, the lights are off inside, and no one appears to be home. Odd, since the agent knew you were coming today.

Closed. Of course they are.

So, I need suggestions as to what we can do here. Exits are to the west, east (the office), and the south east. Also, what can we do while here?

Please vote in Bold

Items

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 23, 2015

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013


Nap Ghost

The front must be glass for a reason. Smash it with our umbrella!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?

But it's fine, I guess...


You just keep being you!


East - maybe the door isn't locked? Can we give greater scrutiny towards the door, is there a gap in the blinds for us to see any movement within the umbral darkness? Are there any opening times to be seen?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Hmmm... I'm beginning to see that taking "Votes" wouldn't work well for this format.

Instead, I'll be taking suggestions and trying them when I update.

Tomorrow, glass might break, either by umbrella or bumping our head on the door.

Any other suggestions?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013


Nap Ghost

xyzzy

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless



Also plugh and plover.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

I forgot to do this earlier.

>look into door
Cupping your hands around your eyes and peering in, you can make out dim shadows in an empty office.

Seyser Koze posted:

The front must be glass for a reason. Smash it with our umbrella!

Well screw this door!

>hit door with umbrella
You're not here to vandalize the place.

Stupid door and it's appeal to authority!

>kick door
You're not here to vandalize the place.

In the distance, you can hear the lonesome keening of a train whistle drifting on the wind.

A sudden gust of wind blows a cold spray of rain into your face.



LashLightning posted:

East - maybe the door isn't locked?

Seems simple enough.

>east
(opening the real estate office door first)
It seems to be locked.


Maybe we can wish out way in.

>xyzzy
That's not a verb I recognise.

>plugh
That's not a verb I recognise.

>plover
That's not a verb I recognise.

Blast.

Maybe there's another way.

>look se
The alley lies southeast, and appears to lead around the side of the real-estate office.

Well, no one suggested it, but Miranda wants a look anyway.

>se



Alley
This narrow aperture between two buildings is nearly blocked with piles of rotting cardboard boxes and overstuffed garbage cans. Ugly, half-crumbling brick walls to either side totter oppressively over you. The alley ends here at a tall, wooden fence.

High up on the wall of the northern building there is a narrow, transom-style window.


>look at window
It's about eighteen inches wide and a foot tall, with hinges along the top that allow it to swing out. It's currently closed.

>look at box
The boxes are filthy, slimy and soaked with rain.

>look at trashcan
The metal garbage cans are stuffed to overflowing with slowly decomposing refuse.

>look at fence
One of the boards seems to be loose down at the bottom; you could probably just squeeze through.

The rain slackens off momentarily to a weak drizzle, then returns afresh in a brief, freezing downpour.


>look at brick
It's just an ordinary-looking wall.

>open window
It's too high to open.

Problems everywhere.

So, what next, goons? Leave your suggestions in bold.

Items

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 24, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Maybe either use umbrella on window (to get it open) or use umbrella on fence (to help squeeze through)?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"


Anchorhead! Wooo! Always wanted to have a crack at this, but never made the time.

See if we can drag boxes over to climb up to the window.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013


Nap Ghost

Eat boxes

Eat refuse


We have to work our way up to the De la Poer legacy.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless


Search the trashcan?

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014


>pull / push board
>squeeze through fence

failing that,

>climb trashcan / boxes
>open window
>enter

failing that,

>NW
>knock on door
>repeat
or
>call out / shout

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine.




Old Grey Guy posted:

>NW
>knock on door
>repeat
or
>call out / shout

Yeah, was gonna say, did we even knock on the door before we started prowling around for some breaking and entering? Is there a note anywhere on the door or window for us?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Now where were we?

Alley
This narrow aperture between two buildings is nearly blocked with piles of rotting cardboard boxes and overstuffed garbage cans. Ugly, half-crumbling brick walls to either side totter oppressively over you. The alley ends here at a tall, wooden fence.

High up on the wall of the northern building there is a narrow, transom-style window.


Davin Valkri posted:

Maybe either use umbrella on window (to get it open) or use umbrella on fence (to help squeeze through)?
Not a bad. We'll handle the fence in a second.

>open window with umbrella
The window is too high.

>open fence with unbrella
You can't see any such thing.

Ugh. This fence. Still we'll get to it in a second.

Ghostwoods posted:

See if we can drag boxes over to climb up to the window.
Good idea.

>drag box under window
The boxes fall to pieces in your hands.

>ew
That's not a verb I recognise.

YOU'RE not a verb I recognise! Anyway, there's nothing more disgusting than rotten boxes. Ick.

Seyser Koze posted:

Eat boxes

Eat refuse


We have to work our way up to the De la Poer legacy.
Almost nothing.
Well, Miranda is a bit peckish.

>eat box
They're plainly inedible.



>eat trash
They're plainly inedible.

No Gravitas posted:

Search the trashcan?
Maybe there's something inside to eat?

>search trashcan
You are not about to go digging through garbage.

drat you, Miranda, and your standards! Freegans are not bad people!
Now onto that fence. Sometimes Anchorhead is picky about the order you do things, tho thankfully not often. This fence is an example.

>squeeze through fence
You can only exit the alley to the northwest.

>look at fence
One of the boards seems to be loose down at the bottom; you could probably just squeeze through.

>squeeze through fence
(closing the umbrella first)
Dropping to your hands and knees, you wriggle underneath the loose board and scramble down a muddy slope.

Narrow Beach
This narrow strip of beach is tucked away between two outcroppings in the predominantly rocky shoreline, accessible only from a steep, muddy slope to the west. The sand is filthy and strewn with rocks, seaweed, litter and other bits of storm-tossed detritus.

Near the bottom of the slope, a sewage outflow pipe juts out over the beach, about three feet above the ground. A thin stream of acrid-smelling sewer water trickles out over the lip of the pipe, forming a puddle in the sand.

You are getting wet.


You read that right. You have to look at the fence before you can squeeze through. If you don't look RIGHT before you squeeze, it acts as if you've just tried to head east.

>open umbrella
You open the umbrella.

>look at litter
There is nothing of any worth or interest here, just drifts of trash.

>look at sea
The sea is the color of old pewter, surging and chopping restlessly beneath the clouds.

>look at rocks
The steep, rocky outcroppings extend into the water on either end of the narrow beach.

I happen to know that this place doesn't come up until later. Right now, it's just a set piece.

>w
You pick your way up the slope, push the loose board aside and slip back in through the gap.
(closing the umbrella first)

Alley
This narrow aperture between two buildings is nearly blocked with piles of rotting cardboard boxes and overstuffed garbage cans. Ugly, half-crumbling brick walls to either side totter oppressively over you. The alley ends here at a tall, wooden fence.

High up on the wall of the northern building there is a narrow, transom-style window.

You are getting wet.


>open umbrella
You open the umbrella.



Old Grey Guy posted:

>climb trashcan / boxes
>open window
>enter
Ah, we're getting closer. Let's try...

>climb on trashcan
You clamber onto the wobbling garbage can, precariously balanced.

>open window
Hmm. You still can't quite reach, because the garbage can is too far away from the wall. Perhaps if you pushed it closer...

Well, at least we can sort of stand on these cans. Miranda's diet of garbage and exercise has paid off!
Now, if I mix our suggestions...

>d
Carefully, you descend.

>drag trashcan to window
I only understood you as far as wanting to drag the garbage can.

Ugh.

>drag trashcan under window
Grunting and holding your breath, you manhandle one of the filthy cans under the window.

>get on trashcan
You clamber onto the wobbling garbage can, precariously balanced. You can just reach the lower edge of the window from here.

A sudden gust of wind blows a cold spray of rain into your face.


>open window
You open the transom window.

>enter
(closing the umbrella first)
It's a tight squeeze, but you just manage to wriggle through, dropping quietly to the floor inside.



File Room
Peering through the murk, you can make out the blocky outlines of filing cabinets lining the walls and a doorway to the west. A window high up on the south wall lets in a very faint illumination.


Success! What's all this then?

>look at cabinets
There must be hundreds of files here, too many to browse through. You'll have to look up something specific if you want to find anything.

>look up Carter
(in the filing cabinets)
You don't find anything filed under that heading.


>look up miranda carter
(in the filing cabinets)
You don't find anything filed under that heading.


I bet we could take all the files and sort through them later. Our trenchcoat is legendary.

>take files
They're hardly portable.

Guess not.

Well, I'm open to suggestions. Put them in Bold.

Items

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014


>close window (with umbrella if needed)
>look at door / doorway
>listen at door
>w

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.


Look for a light, turn it on.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine.




Try different syntax for looking to see if you have a file. Stuff like:

>look up self
>look up Carter in files
>search files

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"


We invented our surname, didn't we?

How about look up michael?
Or look up house?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Thesaya posted:

Look for a light, turn it on.
Yeah, it's pretty dark in here. Maybe with a little more light we can see more files.

>turn on light
You can't see any such thing.

>look for light
(in the filing cabinets)
You don't find anything filed under that heading.


>drat
No need to get frustrated.

Drone posted:

Try different syntax for looking to see if you have a file. Stuff like:

>look up self
>look up Carter in files
>search files
I'll try and protect you guys from such monotony. I know verb-searching can get annoying in games. Still, I haven't tried it before so...

>look for self
(in the filing cabinets)
You don't find anything filed under that heading.




Ghostwoods posted:

We invented our surname, didn't we?

How about look up michael?
Or look up house?

>look for michael
(in the filing cabinets)
As you search in vain for some mention of your husband's name, it dawns on you that the property is most likely listed under the family's original, ancestral name. Which, you realize with some embarrassment, you've completely forgotten.


>look up house
(in the filing cabinets)
As you search in vain for some mention of your husband's name, it dawns on you that the property is most likely listed under the family's original, ancestral name. Which, you realize with some embarrassment, you've completely forgotten.


Interesting. I've never read this response before.

Old Grey Guy posted:

>close window (with umbrella if needed)
>look at door / doorway
>listen at door
>w
We can try.

>close window
You close the transom window.

>look through doorway
You needn't worry about that.

>Oh
That's not a verb I recognise.

Well, Miranda can just waltz right in, then.

>west



Office
Pallid gray light trickles in through the drawn blinds. The office is deserted, papers still scattered across the top of the desk. The front door lies west, and the file room lies east.

Sitting on the corner of the paper-strewn desk are a telephone and an answering machine.

Someone seems to have left a cup of coffee sitting out, half-finished and cold.


Oh boy! Stuff!

>take all
You'll have to be more specific about which objects you mean.

Son of a...

>look at door
You can make out the words "tsruhkcarB & nosneB" stenciled across the glass. There is a latch on this side which can be turned to lock or unlock the door.

Clever.
Miranda may want to leave at some point.

>unlock door
You unlock the office door.

>look at papers
Sifting through the paperwork, you find nothing that catches your attention.

>look at telephone
It's just an ordinary-looking telephone.

>look at answering machine
A simple answering machine, with a small display indicating messages received, a button labeled "PLAY", and a button labeled "DELETE".

>look at coffee

Muddy-looking and unappetizing. Who knows how long it's been sitting out?

Oh, you're comming with me, Coffee.

>take coffee
You pick up the styrofoam cup. In the styrofoam cup is some cold, murky coffee.

>take phone
You start to dial out, but you can't get anything but a busy signal no matter how much you jiggle the receiver. Frustrated, you hang up.

If allowed, Miranda would have disconected the cable and stuffed the receaver into her coat. I guess my vission of out heroine is different from the author who, by the by, based her on his wife.

>take machine
You're not here to burglarize the place.

Yes I am!

Alright, what now? Put your suggestions in Bold, please.

Items

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine.




You gotta >press play! Let's hear what kind of messages are recorded on that thing that aren't meant for us to hear.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014


^ Perhaps repeat as necessary as well.

>taste coffee

In case this does anything:

>read papers
>look through blinds

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"


Hm. How about play messages, drink coffee, and read papers?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine.




Oh, >root through the desk!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Ghostwoods posted:

Hm. How about play messages, drink coffee, and read papers?
Nothing like a cold cup of coffee.

>Taste coffee
You take one sip and nearly gag. Awful stuff!

>read papers
Sifting through the paperwork, you find nothing that catches your attention.

You can hear a fly buzzing around, hovering over the back of your neck.


What's the deal with that fly?

>look at fly
You can't see where the fly is. You're not even sure where the buzzing is coming from.

Bah. Alright, let's riffle through this guys desk. Miranda secretly wanted to be a detective when she was a kid.

>search desk
On the desk are some papers, a telephone and an answering machine.

That's was about as helpful as a Microsoft read-me file. Might as well check the machine, while we're invading privacy.

>press play
For a while there is nothing but a quiet hiss, followed by intermittent skirls of strange-sounding static. It sounds like one of those annoying glitches where the caller hangs up but the machine keeps recording anyway. Then, barely audible through the static, you detect what sounds like a human voice whispering a single word:

"Verlac."

The machine beeps.

A brief shudder ripples up your back. You remember now, "Verlac" is the name of this branch of Michael's family.


Ha! Answers!

>go east

File Room
Peering through the murk, you can make out the blocky outlines of filing cabinets lining the walls and a doorway to the west. A window high up on the south wall lets in a very faint illumination.

You can hear a fly buzzing around, right around your head.


Ugh. Excuse me for a second.

>brief
ANCHORHEAD is now in its normal "brief" printing mode, which gives long descriptions of places never before visited and short descriptions otherwise.

All Inform based games have this feature. "Brief" will only give a room description the first time you enter it. You can always "Look" to get information again. To turn it back on you type "Verbose" and room descriptions will fill your screen again.

Back to the game, now that we have a name to search for.

>search for Verlac
(in the filing cabinets)
Strange; the file on the Verlac property has been cleaned out. Title, deed, all the papers, all of it gone. There is, however, a set of keys tucked down in the hanging folder. You quickly pocket them.

Your score has just gone up by two points.



>look at keys
It's just an ordinary-looking keyring. There are two keys (a key to the house and a key to the cellar) on it.

>look at house key
It's an ordinary-looking key. The word "house" is written on a tiny piece of tape affixed to the key's tab.

>look at cellar key
It's an ordinary-looking key. The word "cellar" is written on a tiny piece of tape affixed to the key's tab.

Very helpful.

>put keys in coat
You slip the keyring into the pocket of your trenchcoat.

>put coffee in coat
The cold, murky coffee would spill out.

Looks like we'll have to carry this cup the hard way.

>go west

Office

Sitting on the corner of the paper-strewn desk are a telephone and an answering machine.


Screw you, Realestate office for making me search like that!

>press delete
The machine beeps.

Nyah Ha Ha! Now you'll NEVER know who was calling!
We make our escape!

>go west
(opening the real estate office door first)
The rain is still coming down, so you open your umbrella.

Outside the Real Estate Office

The office door is open.


There's really only the one way Miranda hasn't gone yet.

>go west


Narrow Street
As the lane winds along from east to west, it narrows until the steep, jagged rooftops on either side of the street practically touch each other. To the south, a side street leads across Whateley Bridge toward the center of town, and a twisting lane leads up a hill to the northwest. A short flight of steps to the north leads down to the local watering hole.


>look at bridge
Old Whateley Bridge spans the river to the south.

>look at watering hole
You needn't worry about that.

>look at street
The cobblestones are slick from the rain and worn with many centuries' passage.

>look west
The crumbling buildings of Anchorhead, with their ubiquitous peaked rooftops and ancient, leaning gables, cluster thickly around you in every direction.

The rain slackens off momentarily to a weak drizzle, then returns afresh in a brief, freezing downpour.


>look at steps
You needn't worry about that.

Now we have choices. The pub north, but the streets leads West, Northwest, South, and back East to the office, in case we left something undone.

YOU Decide!
Decide in Bold, please.

Items

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine.




Let's check out the pub for signs of the locals. Maybe the realtor popped off for lunch and a pint?

Failing that, go to town. I mean we should probably try to find someone, right?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"


North to the pub. I could just do with a nice, warming bowl of tears of madness.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.


Ghostwoods posted:

North to the pub. I could just do with a nice, warming bowl of tears of madness.

As long as I can get a beer with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014


To the pub. Let's see if we can grab a set of darts or any other useful things.

  • Locked thread
«13 »