Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Ghostwoods posted:

North to the pub. I could just do with a nice, warming bowl of tears of madness.

Just like Mother used to... Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Drone posted:

Let's check out the pub for signs of the locals. Maybe the realtor popped off for lunch and a pint?

To the Bar!

>north
You close your umbrella, as is your habit after coming indoors.

Local Pub
A dank, drafty old drinking hole lit by flickering, oil-burning lanterns. Smoke collects in greasy pools among the rafters, and shadows crowd thick around. The bar runs the length of the room to your right, while to the south a low doorway opens onto the street.

Mill workers and fishermen occupy a few of the tables, drinking beer or puffing grimly at long-stemmed pipes. Each is wrapped in his solitude, soaking up the general miasma of dreary fatalism.

The lantern sitting on the table nearest you sputters fitfully, throwing distorted shadows across the wall.

Ooo! a Lamp!

>look at lamp
It's an old-fashioned hurricane lamp, with a tall glass chimney to protect it from the wind. The cotton wick burns fitfully in its reservoir of cheap oil.

The most useful thing in adventure games, short of matches! Miranda will just steal that.

>take lamp
No one here looks as though they'd mind if you borrowed one of these lamps. Casually, you purloin the nearest one.

>look at bar
A dark and dour expanse of wood, pitted and scarred and stained with the rings from over a hundred years' worth of slopping beer mugs.

Let's see if we can get a beer.

>order drink
That's not a verb I recognise.

>ask for drink
The locals have better things to do.

Blast. I don't think that was put in the game. Which is a pity.
Maybe one of the locals is the estate agent?

>search locals
You don't supposethe locals would care for that.

Wow. A type-o. I thought they were all ironed out in this game, or so the legends go.

>search bar
There is nothing on the bar.

Well, that's that for now, I guess.
The plan was to head back out to the streets and pick a new direction, but on the way out...

>South
As you make your way to the door, your foot strikes something under one of the tables.

Eh?

>look under table
Some forgetful soul has left a flask underneath one of the tables, pushed into a shadowy corner.

>take flask
You pick up the flask. The label is faded and mostly peeled away, but what little you can make out seems to indicate that this is not a particularly distinguished brand of spirits. The words "bootleg" and "rotgut" come to mind, probably because they are the only words legible on what's left of the label.

>open flask
You open the flask, revealing about three swallows' worth of cheap whiskey.

Looks like we haven't left empty handed after all.

>close flask
You close the flask.

>put flask in coat
You slip the flask into the pocket of your trenchcoat.

>put lamp in coat
It wouldn't be very wise to put the lantern in your pocket while it's still burning.

>put out lamp
You blow the lantern out.

>Put lamp in coat
You slip the lantern into the pocket of your trenchcoat.

>south
The rain is still coming down, so you open your umbrella.

Narrow Street

Overhead, the swollen clouds flicker ominously with a greenish haze of sheet lightning.

>

Alright, we still have three other directions unexplored. Northwest, West, and south to the bridge.
Put your choice in Bold.

Items

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Let's do this counter clockwise and go Northwest.

Also, the narration clearly states the bar is to the right. You are ruining my immersion! :colbert:

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Up the hill (NW)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Northwest sounds oddly attractive.

Also Grimwit, I wanted to say that I'm really digging the illustrations. Thanks :)

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Ghostwoods posted:

Northwest sounds oddly attractive.

Also Grimwit, I wanted to say that I'm really digging the illustrations. Thanks :)

Oh, yes, the illustrations are awesome. My comment up there was definitely not serious in any way if that wasn't clear.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Thesaya posted:

Oh, yes, the illustrations are awesome. My comment up there was definitely not serious in any way if that wasn't clear.

Never occurred to me that it might have been :) I just remembered thinking this morning that Grimwit deserved some praise for his pics, so decided to act on it.

Iä Iä, and all that.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
I agree, the pictures really add a lot to it.

Thanks, Grimwit! :)

Ghostwoods posted:

Iä Iä, and all that.

Ditto. :cthulhu:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Old Grey Guy posted:

Up the hill (NW)

Everyone seems to agree.

>Northwest

Twisting Lane
The lane narrows here to little more than a badly cobbled sidewalk as it wends its way up through a series of tortuous bends and switchbacks. In some places, the street is so steep that steps have been cut into it, worn down over the years and slick with moss. Your progress is blocked at the top of the street by a blank brick wall.

>look at wall
It's just an ordinary-looking brick wall.

Maybe violence is the answer.

>punch wall
Violence isn't the answer to this one.

The rain slackens off momentarily to a weak drizzle, then returns afresh in a brief, freezing downpour.

Huh. Nothing else here. I guess we return.

>se
You take a few tentative steps back down the lane, but it seems to lead only to a short switchback, bringing you right back to the brick wall. You're not entirely sure now, which direction leads back to the narrow street.

>e
You take a few tentative steps back down the lane, but it seems to lead only to a short switchback, bringing you right back to the brick wall. You're not entirely sure now, which direction leads back to the narrow street.

>s

Son of a...

>n
The wall blocks your way in that direction.

Alright. Welcome to the first "Maze" of the game. It's not even a maze. It's more like a wrap around screen.
Puzzle-wise, this lane is kind of a dick move. See, this will become important later, but you won't recieve any clue as to when one of the 7 open dirrecitons will lead somewhere. You just have to guess when the time is right.

Alright, the correct way to go, for now is...

>sw

Narrow Street

Thesaya posted:

Let's do this counter clockwise and go Northwest.
That opens West, then.

>West

Junction
To the north, a gap in the crowded press of gloomy buildings opens onto a country lane, heading out over a grassy heath. The main street continues to the east, while to the northwest, over the top of a steep rise, you can just make out the vaulted rooftops of the university.

I feel like this is progress. So we have North, Northwest, or we can go back to the Bridge that was south of the Narrow Street.

Choose in Bold

Items

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 29, 2015

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Always exploration before progress, so East and then South. Then we can go back to going counter clockwise again.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Thesaya posted:

Always exploration before progress, so East and then South. Then we can go back to going counter clockwise again.

Yeah, OK, I'm convinced. E, S. Although I suspect we could probably hit up the university fairly safely.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Sounds good to me. E, S.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Thesaya posted:

>East

Narrow Street

>South

Whateley Bridge
A hoary monument of crumbling, moss-eaten flagstones, Whateley Bridge is possibly older than any other structure in the entire city. Ponderously it spans the dark, torpid waters of the Miskaton River, connecting the north and south halves of the city and occasionally raining bits of gravel and mortar from its underside into the water. It looks just wide enough for two cars to pass each other between the flanking stone parapets, but you wouldn't volunteer to try it.

Seems like every small town has a crumbling bridge. Even the ones without rivers.

>look at bridge
The parapets are about waist high, made of crumbling stone.

>look at river
The Miskaton's waters are sluggish and dark. Some sort of oily film coats the surface, reflecting back ghostly swirls of color.

Welp, we're in Lovecraft country. No doubt.
This must be Massachusetts

>Look at stone
The parapets are about waist high, made of crumbling stone.

The clouds overhead mutter restlessly to themselves.

I don't know if I've ever looked up, yet.

>look at sky
The sky is an unbroken blanket of seething gray clouds in every direction.

The rain slackens off momentarily to a weak drizzle, then returns afresh in a brief, freezing downpour.

Well, that's not enough for one update, yet. Miranda want's to move on.

>South

Town Square
A wide expanse of uneven pavestones lies open to the sky, bordered on all sides by the leaning, steep-roofed architecture that looms over everything in this city. The municipal courthouse stands at the south end of the square, next to the mouth of a dark, narrow alley to the southwest. Avenues to the west and east lead back into the cramped and ingrown streets, while to the north lies Whateley Bridge.

In the center of the square, rising from a circular lawn of unhealthy-looking grass and weeds, stands a strange, stone obelisk. It seems to be a monument of some sort, although you can see no plaque or marker anywhere near it.

Wait, this place has it's own Egyptian landmark? Is there a pyramid here, too?

>look at Obelisk
The obelisk measures about two feet square at its base, narrowing slightly as it rises a good fifteen feet to a bluntly pointed tip. An iron ring is embedded in the stone high up on one side, about two feet from the top. Dense, twisting hieroglyphs cover all four sides of the obelisk, although they are too worn to be read clearly.

>look at iron ring
It's just an ordinary-looking iron ring.

>look at hieroglyphs
They are not Egyptian, which is what you first assumed from the general shape and design of the obelisk. In fact, though you're no archaeologist, these carvings don't look like any sort of ancient writing you've ever seen. The characters, which must have been carved very deeply in order to survive this much erosion, twist and squirm in disturbing ways, flowing into and through each other and almost seeming to shift slightly as you try to follow their lines. The effect is deeply unsettling, and you have to suppress an urge to take a step or two back away from the monument.

Ow, my eyes.

The only other thing here of note is...

>look at courthouse
The courthouse is probably the largest building in the old city, although that isn't saying much. Built, like nearly every other structure here, with an eye toward steep roofs, leaning gables, and an overall air of looming decay, it casts its stern shadow across the square like an old Puritan magistrate passing judgment on some cowering sinner. Wide wooden steps lead up to its main entrance due south of here, while a narrow alley leads around the side of the building to the southwest.

In the distance, you can hear the lonesome keening of a train whistle drifting on the wind.

>

Not even sure what we're looking for right now, but at least we can explore with leisure. Don't worry about time. This first day was meant to introduce readers to the town anyway.

So where to next? We still have the junction up north, or we can head East or West from Town Square. Or the Courthouse. Or the dark foreboding alleyway.

Choose in Bold

Items

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 1, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dark foreboding alley. We've got a lantern in our pocket, might as well get some mileage out of it.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
>SE to the alley

If that leads nowhere,

>NE to square
>N across bridge
>W to junction
>N to heath (counter-clockwise)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Dark Foreboding Alley. Because DUH, of course the dark foreboding alley!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Drone posted:

Dark foreboding alley. We've got a lantern in our pocket, might as well get some mileage out of it.

So foreboding! In a town like this, we're likely to encounter all manner of terrible mugger or sea-soaked abomination!
Let's do it!

>Southwest

Side Alley
This is a featureless blind alley, a dead end. Through the narrow and heavily shadowed opening to the northeast, you can see the square and the obelisk at its center.

Oh.

Old Grey Guy posted:

If that leads nowhere,

>NE to square
>N across bridge
>W to junction
>N to heath (counter-clockwise)
Fortunatly, Miranda Carter was on the track team in High School, so she has no trouble sprinting back to the edge of town.

>ne
Town Square
In the center of the square, rising from a circular lawn of unhealthy-looking grass and weeds, stands a strange, stone obelisk. It seems to be a monument of some sort, although you can see no plaque or marker anywhere near it.

>n
Whateley Bridge
>n
Narrow Street
>w
Junction

Here we are. If you haven't noticed, Anchorhead has a lot of areas that do nothing but connect one part of town to the rest. The town sprawls, and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe to give Anchorhead a feeling of placement? Like, I can tell you the Church is on the opposite side of town from the Mill. Also the local pub is across the bridge from the Courthouse. You could give dirrections to a new comer, I guess, but I didn't realize exploration would be such a big part of the let's play here in the beginning.

Good news is this first chapter has the bulk of exploring. The other two chapters are more puzzle heavy.

>North

Mill Road
The road carries you across a desolate heath of gray, windswept grass. To the south, the black, jagged outline of Anchorhead's steep roofs and sharp, leaning gables cuts across the horizon. The road forks here to the west and east, heading across the railroad tracks in one direction, out toward the seashore in the other.

What it doesn't say is the seashore lies East, while the railroad is to the west. Good job, Game.

>look at anchorhead
From this distance, all you can make out of Anchorhead are the leaning shapes of its rooftops, huddled in a thin, jagged line against the base of the hills to the south.

>look at grass
The undulating heath stretches away to the west and northwest, an unending carpet of colorless grass.

I like to play this little game with new Interactive Fiction called "Find the Nouns"
In the old games, like Zork, there would be nouns listed in the descriptions that didn't seem to exist. It annoyed me, so when I made my own game (never finished) I made a note of all nouns in the descriptions of the rooms and of other nouns, creating a nest of "Look at..." opportunities. I like to see who else thought of that.

Well, that's enough of that.

>South

Junction

>look

Junction
To the north, a gap in the crowded press of gloomy buildings opens onto a country lane, heading out over a grassy heath. The main street continues to the east, while to the northwest, over the top of a steep rise, you can just make out the vaulted rooftops of the university.

I think you guys said you want to explore in a counter-clockwise fashion?

>Northwest

University Court
Isolated and serene within its high, ivy-covered walls, Miskaton University represents this benighted town's single, if somewhat dubious, claim to cultural achievement. Founded some time in the early 1800s, the school's reputation and enrollment have diminished somewhat as Anchorhead drifts further and further into the abyss of provincial backwaterism. Still, it is generally recognized for its collection of folklore and esoteric mythology (one of the oldest and most extensive on the east coast). The Board of Deans was also kind enough to offer Michael a full professorship upon hearing of his recently discovered heritage and his plans to move into the estate. Ivory tower, perhaps, but at least they take care of their own.

There are numerous buildings surrounding this cobbled court, but the only one you are interested in is the library to the west, where Michael told you he'd be until he came back to the real estate agent's office to pick you up. Which, incidentally, he has not yet done.

Overhead, the swollen clouds flicker ominously with a greenish haze of sheet lightning.

Let's find the nouns!

>look at library
The university library is a stately building in the classical style, built of red brick and covered with a thick growth of ivy. The main entrance lies behind a colonnade of white Doric columns.

>look at ivy
The ivy grows thick and healthy over the red brick buildings.

>look at columns
You needn't worry about that.

Bah! At least the game acknowledges the existance of the columns. Unlike...

>look at brick
You can't see any such thing.

Bullcrap! What are the buildings made of?!

>

I think that's enough for today. We have options. We can start a sweep of the Town Square, way back when. We can head to the Mill Road and see what's what up north. Or we can just head into the Library and meet Mr. Carter.

Decide in Bold If you please.

Items

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
I think it's time to talk to someone.

>W to library

>find rolling pin
>use instrument of persuasion on husband

>talk to husband
>... about office / estate / town / obelisk / court house / hill / university

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Personally, I'd like to look around the courthouse and the areas E and W of the town square before we do anything as potentially plot-locking as talk to Michael. I'm more interested in exploring than in powering through as quickly as possible.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, I definitely play the noun game, because there are IF games that gently caress you about with hidden nouns. Even ones where it's meant to be made clear, like the Magnetic Scrolls games or the early Legend games. Got no suggestions, because... Well, I've played the game before, and have a bad spoiler reflex with IF, so I'll just be watching with interest. :)

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Ghostwoods posted:

Personally, I'd like to look around the courthouse and the areas E and W of the town square before we do anything as potentially plot-locking as talk to Michael. I'm more interested in exploring than in powering through as quickly as possible.

What this guy said.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Sorry, OldGreyGuy. I kind of agree that we get the exploration out of the way. But we'll drain Miranda's husband of information when we talk to him.
In the mean time, let's head to the town square first.

>se
Junction
>e
Narrow Street
>s
Whateley Bridge
>s

Town Square

Alrighty... How about we start with filling in the roads of the town first.

>West

Dark Corner
The rooftops above you lean so close together as to nearly block out the sky altogether, making this a particularly dark and unpleasant section of the city. The street leads away to the east, and a shadowy driveway leads through a high brick wall to the south.

>Look at driveway

Yeah, I don't need to worry about it until a vicious shade of grey leaks from it, poisoning our water supply and turning our plants and animals Mad! MA-A-A-AAAAD!
*ahem*
Stock message is stock. Got it. Might as well see where this driveway leads.

>South

Asylum Courtyard
The grim, white-washed edifice of Danvers Asylum bounds this tiny, shadowed courtyard to the south, its narrow, barred windows staring blankly down at you like ranks of shriveled, empty eye sockets. You can escape through a narrow gateway in the high, brick wall to the north.

Oh man! Finally, a mad house! It just didn't feel like Lovecraft Country without one and I was getting worried.

>look at windows
The whole place exudes a sense of oppressive claustrophobia -- standing in its shadow for even a second is enough to make your skin crawl. Even the seemingly innocuous motto emblazoned over the main entrance fills you with an inexplicable sense of foreboding.

Our first true hidden noun. A trick this game thankfully doesn't do often, but I've already ranted about that.

>look at motto
"Health, Discipline, Tranquillity" -- emblazoned in an arch over the double-snake symbol of a caduceus. Somehow, you are not reassured.

>n
Dark Corner
>e
Town Square

Next, let's follow the east road and see where that goes.

>East

Riverwalk
A low, irregular brick wall to the north divides this street from the steep, mud-slick banks of the sinuous Miskaton, while a rusty iron gate provides access to a precarious flight of stone steps leading down the bank to the water's edge. The street bends south here, turning into a misty avenue between the trees. The town square lies west, a vacant lot lies east.

>look at gate
The rusty gate is closed.

Locked, no doubt.

>open gate
The gate swings open noisily on its rusty hinges.

Oh. Uh...

>Look at lot

>Look east
The crumbling buildings of Anchorhead, with their ubiquitous peaked rooftops and ancient, leaning gables, cluster thickly around you in every direction.

A sudden gust of wind blows a cold spray of rain into your face.

Guess the only way to check the lot is to go there. But we follow the road first.

>South

Chilly Avenue
Perhaps it is merely the effect of some unwholesome vapour rising from the murky waters of the nearby Miskaton, but the temperature along this street seems perceptibly cooler than normal, even for a New England autumn. Two dirt roads lead south and southwest, into the dense woods at the edge of town.

A clammy mist hangs thickly in the air, seeping through your clothes and making you shiver.

>Look at woods
The woods are ancient, thick with undergrowth and full of shadows. Branches creak, leaves rustle beneath unseen, half-imagined footsteps, and strange birdcalls echo through the trees.

Alrighty.

>n
Riverwalk
>w
Town Square

We have now seen all the roads in the city of Anchorhead, from the north to the south. Let's try and talk to the officials. Maybe make some friends.

>Enter Courthouse
The courthouse is closed for the day.

Hmmm...

>w
Dark Corner
>s
Asylum Courtyard

>Enter Asylum
The asylum is closed for the day.

How? It's the only hospital in town!

>n
Dark Corner
>e
Town Square

>

Alright, we have choices, and I'll put it to you like this.
1. We got the roads to the north. We could just finish exploring outside of town that way.
2. We got the two roads leading out of town to the south.
3. We got the Vacant Lot and the River.
4. Our precious hubby is probably bored out of his mind in the Library.

I'll be honest. I haven't tested out the game's exploration this much on Day one, so now even I don't know how far we can go before talking to Michael Carter.
I leave the choice to you.

Choose in Bold.

Items

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Let's just keep exploring everywhere until we run out of options.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yeah, I'd be inclined to do 3, then 2, at least to see if it looks like being a whole new region or just a couple of places. I suspect 1 will take us onwards -- it has that sort of feel -- so probably 4 after a look at 2.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
As far as I can tell, our map so far should look something like this:

Did I miss anything?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Really enjoying the art going along with the text, it adds a lot of personality to it!

As for choices, #3 for the lot/river would be my choice, then either 1 or 2 after

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Ghostwoods posted:

Yeah, I'd be inclined to do 3, then 2, at least to see if it looks like being a whole new region or just a couple of places. I suspect 1 will take us onwards -- it has that sort of feel -- so probably 4 after a look at 2.

Once again, this man has already given what would have been my own suggestion. I wholeheartedly agree with his plan.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

I have to skip today and Tuesday. Scheduling reasons, mostly to do with my wife's work.

Please excuse the delay.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Old Grey Guy posted:

As far as I can tell, our map so far should look something like this:

Did I miss anything?
So far so good. It'll get much bigger as we go. We're pretty much done exploring the town, but there are so many other places to search.

Ghostwoods posted:

So, we search through the two places attacked to the River Walk, then search south of town, Then hubby. Got it.
This is a big update.
Let's begin...

>e

Riverwalk

>look

Riverwalk
A low, irregular brick wall to the north divides this street from the steep, mud-slick banks of the sinuous Miskaton, while a rusty iron gate provides access to a precarious flight of stone steps leading down the bank to the water's edge. The street bends south here, turning into a misty avenue between the trees. The town square lies west, a vacant lot lies east.

We'll start with the stairs, first, I think.

>Down
You pass through the gate and down the stone steps, which curve northwest as they lead down to the edge of the river.

Under the Bridge
The ponderous stones of Whateley Bridge arch overhead, casting this little concrete ledge into deep shadow. At your feet, the dark waters lap quietly against the stones with a hollow, subterranean sound. Stone steps to the southeast lead back up to street level.

A small metal door, blotchy with rust, is set into the south bank of the river, underneath the bridge.

It's subtle, but I love that first line there telling us how the stairs curve to the NorthWest. Not many people would do that, leaving one confused as to where the exits are and how they got there. Very nice touch, if small.

>look at door
It's just an ordinary-looking small metal door.

>look at water
The Miskaton's waters are sluggish and dark. Some sort of oily film coats the surface, reflecting back ghostly swirls of color.

Ew.

>open door
It seems to be locked.

We must have a key here somewhere.

>i
You are wearing your wedding ring, your trenchcoat and your clothes; in addition, you have in your hands a styrofoam cup, inside which is some cold, murky coffee and your umbrella.

The pockets of your trenchcoat contain a lantern, a flask (which is closed) and a keyring, on which are two keys (a key to the house and a key to the cellar).

Uh... Maybe this cup?

>unlock door with cup
That isn't even a key.

It was worth a try. I guess we'll be back later.

>se

Riverwalk

>East

Vacant Lot
Where once a building stood, there is now only cracked pavement and rampant weeds. A high chain-link fence surrounds this vacant lot; the only breaks lie to the west and southeast.

A filthy old mattress lies among the weeds over in one corner of the lot.

One unexplored exit and one... Matress.

>look at matress

Oh yeah, it has two T's.

>oops mattress
The mattress is stained and beaten, oozing stuffing in several places. From the cans and food wrappers scattered around it, it looks as though somebody's been using it as a bed.

For those who don't know about this, all Inform games have this feature. If you misspell a noun, you can use the "Oops" verb to fix it. Once I had an action with three nouns and misspelled all of them, then followed up with a chain of oopses. To my surprise, it worked.

>look at wrappers

>look at weeds

Well, whatever. There's a opening in the fence on the other side, anyway. No other place to go.

>Southeast

Wharf
The gentle creaking of hawsers and the hollow slap of water beneath the wooden pier provide a faint counterpoint to the endless, rhythmic surging of the sea. The fishing industry (like the paper industry) has all but died away in Anchorhead; nonetheless there are still a few boats tied to the pier. A path leads back through an opening in a chain-link fence to the northwest; otherwise, it's just you and the ocean.

An old, discarded tin of fish oil sits at the end of the pier.

In the distance, you can hear the lonesome keening of a train whistle drifting on the wind.

Ooo! And item!

>look at tin
It's dented and rusty, and you can barely make out the words "Skagen, Denmark" printed along the side. The lid is closed.

Miranda's hand instictively snatches it. It IS portable, after all.

>take tin
Taken.

>put tin in coat
You slip the old tin into the pocket of your trenchcoat.

>look at ocean
The sea is the color of old pewter, surging and chopping restlessly beneath the clouds.

>look at boats
The few fishing boats that remain look barely sea-worthy, held together by barnacles and old habit.

Seems there's nothing else to see here.
Alright, on to the south of town.

>nw
Vacant Lot

>w
Riverwalk
>s
Chilly Avenue

A clammy mist hangs thickly in the air, seeping through your clothes and making you shiver.

Let's see what directions we have to play with again...

>look

Chilly Avenue
Perhaps it is merely the effect of some unwholesome vapour rising from the murky waters of the nearby Miskaton, but the temperature along this street seems perceptibly cooler than normal, even for a New England autumn. Two dirt roads lead south and southwest, into the dense woods at the edge of town.

These trees really know how to hold in the humidity.

>South

Deserted Lane
The gently winding lane makes its way through the birch woods south of town. New England foliage is famous for its splendid colors in the fall, but the oppressive weather and pervading murk have leached these trees of most of their tint. The road continues south into the increasingly dense forest, and in the other direction heads back to town. A paved walk also leads east through the trees.

Hmmm... That's two exits. One to the East and one to the South.
Best not venture too far. I'll leave choosing what direction to you goons.

>n

Chilly Avenue

That just leaves the...

>Southwest
Before you can take more than a few steps, the mist coils its tendrils around you, freezing your marrow with its damp embrace. For one terrifying moment you can feel it probing at your mouth and nostrils, seeking a way in, and then with a sudden wrench you are free, gasping and choking and eyeing the mist with newfound wariness.

Huh? I was genuinely surprised by this reaction. See, I'd never tried coming here this early in the game. I had no idea this mist would stop me.

>look Southwest
The mist seems to gather most thickly to the southwest. You can't see more than a few yards down the road in that direction.

Maybe it was a fluke. I mean, we eventually have to head that way.
Let's try that again.

>Southwest
Before you can take more than a few steps, the mist coils its tendrils around you, freezing your marrow with its damp embrace. For one terrifying moment you can feel it probing at your mouth and nostrils, seeking a way in, and then with a sudden wrench you are free, gasping and choking and eyeing the mist with newfound wariness.

Nope. Nothin' Doin'.
Huh. I guess that just leave checking on Michael, back at the university.

>n
Riverwalk
>w
Town Square

>n
Whateley Bridge

>n
Narrow Street

>w
Junction
>nw
University Court

There are numerous buildings surrounding this cobbled court, but the only one you are interested in is the library to the west, where Michael told you he'd be until he came back to the real estate agent's office to pick you up. Which, incidentally, he has not yet done.

>West
You close your umbrella, as is your habit after coming indoors.

Library
Shadows roost thickly in the vaulted ceiling, and small, green-shaded desk lamps cast pools of warm radiance here and there around the library's dim interior. You pause a moment to let the hushed peacefulness of this place soak in -- a welcome relief from the unsettling events of the day. An exit lies east, and a small alcove to the north houses the circulation counter.

Peering through the shadows, you spot your husband sitting at one of the reading desks, absorbed in some sort of weighty tome and clearly oblivious to the time.

Michael turns to a new page in the book and begins reading intently.

There he is. Man, Michael, you wouldn't BELIEVE my day.

>Look at Michael

Tall and a bit on the skinny side, in an endearingly awkward sort of way; a serious, thoughtful face topped with an unruly tangle of brown hair; deep brown eyes framed by wire-rimmed glasses -- yep, that's the man you married, all right.

At the moment, Michael is largely absorbed in his reading, and is paying little attention to you.

Michael turns to a new page in the book and begins reading intently.

Before Miranda bugs him, let's check the rest of the library.

>North

Circulation Desk
A high counter divides the public portion of the library from the reserved stacks -- all the more esoteric and mysterious volumes from the university's collection. If anything, the area behind the counter is even more shadowy than the side you're on. The main reading area lies south.

Hanging on the wall next to the counter is a small, printed sign. Beneath the sign sits a heavy, dog-eared register, and sitting next to the register is a bell.

How cozy.

>look at bell
One of those little round bells with the button on top; you ring it for service.

>look at sign
"All restricted books must be signed for on the register, and may not be removed from this building. Please have your faculty ID ready when you make your request."

>look at register
It's basically a log, recording what book was checked out, who checked it out, and when. There must be hundreds of names here.

I wonder if the previous owner of Miranda's house has been in this library.

>look up Verlac
(in the dog-eared register)
You don't find that name on the register.

Guess not.

>South

Library

Peering through the shadows, you spot your husband sitting at one of the reading desks, absorbed in some sort of weighty tome and clearly oblivious to the time.

What's Miranda's dear husband reading now?

>look at book
Michael looks up, startled, then realizes it's you and smiles. "Hi, hon," he says, closing the book and stretching. Then he glances at his watch. "Good grief, what happened to the time? I'm so sorry -- I just lost track." He smiles sheepishly.

"Well?" he asks. "Did you get the keys?"

In a second, Michael. What are you reading...

>Look at book
Michael jerks the book away from you. "Excuse me," he says, a bit more sharply than you had expected, "I'll be done with it in a minute."

Okay, we'll just ask him directly.

>ask Michael about book
Michael casually places his hand on the book, obscuring its title. "Oh, just doing a bit of research. Musty old stuff."

Very helpful.

Here's an odd gimic. To use items in Miranda's Trenchcoat, she first must take them from her coat.

>take keys
Taken.

>show keys to michael
"Great!" says Michael. "You hang on to that. Just a second, I'll put this back." He takes the book up to the circulation desk and hands it to the librarian. "Okay then," he says, returning, "let's go."

Michael suddenly smacks his forehead. "Oh, crap, I forgot to tell you. The car broke down." He spreads his hands. "I don't know what happened to it; one second I'm parking outside, the next second it dies and I can't get it started again. I called a tow truck, but the nearest garage is up in Arkham. They picked it up but won't be able to look at it until next week at the earliest. Anyway, it looks like we'll have to walk back to the house." He offers you a lame smile. "You can hold the umbrella."

Your score has just gone up by two points.

>

Well, we made progress, anyway. Alright, it's going to be two days before I update again (thus the bigness of this update) so I need to know two things.

1. WHAT shall we ask Michael about? Make a list and we'll drain his brain, because this is the only time we'll be able to ask him. At the end of Day 1, he become much to busy to answer us.
2. WHERE shall we take our dear husband. Obviously to our new home, but where is that? Hint: We've been very close to it.

Leave your answers in bold.
I'll be back on Wednesday, roughly.

Items

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Who is your basis for Dear Hubbie?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Slaan posted:

Who is your basis for Dear Hubbie?

I stole Lovecraft's Chin and stuck it under my step-dad's hair (My Step-dad actually is an adorably geeky college professor), then added wire-frame glasses.

Also, you can't say geeky-professor without a sweater vest.

Edit: After showing the design to my wife just now, she says it looks like a younger version of me. Square face, wild hair, wire glasses. I don't see it, but shrugs are free. :shrug:

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 4, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'll bet that the riverwalk door is actually the door to the cellar. Either that or it's off the Chilly Avenue, really.

As for Michael, I can't think of anything to ask him directly. I would like to see what he was reading by checking the dog-eared register, though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Grimwit posted:

Also, you can't say geeky-professor without a sweater vest.

Elbow-pad tweed suit jackets. :colbert:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I unfortunately do not know what to vote for, but I have to say that Skagen is amazing.
It is in Denmark and have inspired a lot of artists. Also, it is a place where you can stand with a foot in two different oceans. Skagerak and Kattegatt. The waves actually comes from two different directions there, from two different seas.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Can we move or pull that mattress?

Also, we should probably ask Michael about university, car, house, restricted books, styrofoam mug, flask, and tin of fish oil. Just in case he has some wisdom to share on those matters.

We should take him north out of town, is my guess.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
We should definitely ask him about the Verlac family and his inheritance, I'd say.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I wonder if its that misty path we were arbitrarily blocked by

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
These are still open:

Old Grey Guy posted:

>... about office / estate / town / obelisk / court house / hill / university

and go up the hill, probably.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

The Husband Update

Davin Valkri posted:

As for Michael, I can't think of anything to ask him directly. I would like to see what he was reading by checking the dog-eared register, though.
That's not a bad idea, actually...

>North
"Er, that's just the circulation desk," Michael says, placing his hand on your arm. "The exit is that way." He points east.

Bugger. Alright, make a note. On Day Two, we'll check the register. Remind me! I will forget.

>East
The rain is still coming down, so you open your umbrella.

University Court

There are numerous buildings surrounding this cobbled court, but the only one you are interested in is the library to the west.

Michael hurries to catch up.

Old Grey Guy posted:

Ask about office / estate / town / obelisk / court house / hill / university

Ghostwoods posted:

Also, we should probably ask Michael about university, car, house, restricted books, styrofoam mug, flask, and tin of fish oil. Just in case he has some wisdom to share on those matters.

We should take him north out of town, is my guess.

We'll work our hubby around town while we talk and walk. Miranda is a girl on the move, after all.

>ask about office
He frowns as you tell him about the real estate agent's disappearance. "That is rather odd," he says. "I wonder where she could be?"

>Ask Michael about University
Which do you mean, Miskaton University or the university library?

I didn't think of that. Both?

>Miskaton University
"Isn't it wonderful? A full professorship! At this rate I'll have tenure in just a few years. I think I'm really going to like teaching here."

>Ask Michael about Library
"It's a good library," Michael says absently. "Lots of rare books. I imagine I'll be spending some time there."

>Southeast

Junction

Michael follows you.

>Ask Husband about car
"Strange about the car, isn't it?"

"I apologized about the car, right?" says Michael sheepishly.

Oh, Michael. These things happen. I'll forgive you, just this once, but let's not speak of it again.

>North
"Actually," says Michael, "I think the house is in the other direction."

Oh... I guess he DOES know where the house is. Well, we'll explore a little more on Day two.

>Ask Mike about directions
You can't think of anything to say about that for the moment.

Seriously, game? Miranda's husband knows where the house is, but you won't let him tell us?

>Ask Mike about house
"The Verlac family has been living in that old place for generations; they're an integral part of the history of this whole region. It's really quite interesting."

>East

Narrow Street

Oh yes. Husband, quick! Smell this!

>Take Tin
Taken.

>Show Tin to Mike
"Yuaagh!" Michael explains, making a face and shrinking away from you. "Is that what I keep smelling? What are you carrying that nasty stuff around for?"

A sudden gust of wind blows a cold spray of rain into your face.

Fine! Some people find these things a delicacy.

>Put tin in coat
You slip the old tin into the pocket of your trenchcoat.

"We really should be getting on to the house, don't you think?" asks Michael. "It's a bit rainy out."

I hadn't noticed. On with the interview!

>Ask Michael about book
"Hmm? Oh, that was nothing important. Just some research."

Let's talk over a drink, eh?

>North
"Er, I'm not really in the mood for a drink," Michael says, hanging back. "I just want to find our house and get some sleep."

Why did I marry you again?

Oh yeah. Your butt.

>South

Whateley Bridge

Michael follows you.

>Ask Mike about bridge

>Ask Husband about Verlac
(the Verlac family)
"I don't know too much about them, except for what the lawyers told us about Edward, the one who just killed himself. And even that isn't much."

Wait, what?

>Ask Mike about Edward
"I'd never heard of the guy before; I didn't even know I had a 'third cousin, twice removed'," says Michael. "Kind of creepy, though, don't you think? He went crazy, you know, killed his whole family, then killed himself in his cell up at Danvers. Just terrible. Still, we got the house and I got a professorship, so you won't hear me complaining."

If you don't remember, Danvers Asylum is the only hospital in Anchorhead.

>South

Town Square

Michael follows you.

Wants a drink, honey?

>Give coffee to Mike
"Yuck," Michael says, not taking it. "What are you carrying around a cup of cold, murky coffee for?"

>Ask Michael about Obelisk

What, you mean like WHY IS THERE AN OBELISK IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN?!?!?
Oh yeah. And about the town...

>Ask Michael about Anchorhead
"It takes a little getting used to, I know, but I think we can be happy here."

>Show Mike Courthouse
(first taking the courthouse)
That's hardly portable.

:stare:

Okaaaay...

>Ask Mike about courthouse

>East

Riverwalk

Michael strolls along after you.

Michael scuffs around dispiritedly.

Ghostwoods posted:

Can we move or pull that mattress?

>East

Vacant Lot

Miranda: Just a moment, Snuggle-Flubber, I'm need to mess with this filthy mattress for some reason.
Michael: I don't ask questions anymore.

>Lift Mattress
That would accomplish very little.

>Pull Mattress
The mattress is extremely dirty and probably infested with bugs. You'd just as soon not even touch it, much less drag it around with you.

"We really should be getting on to the house, don't you think?" asks Michael. "It's a bit rainy out."

>Drag Mattress West
I only understood you as far as wanting to drag the filthy mattress.

Doesn't seem like something we need to poke around with, yet. Maybe we can look over the romantic ocean.

>SouthEast

Wharf

>Ask Mike about ships

>Take flask
Taken.

I got this school spirit, my little two-nugget-combo-of-love. Want a snort?

>Show flask to Mike
Michael raises his eyebrows. "Where on earth did you find that?" he asks. "No, you can keep it; I'm certainly not going to drink it."

Another wave crashes against the rocks, sending a cloud of spray into the air.

>put flask in coat
You slip the flask into the pocket of your trenchcoat.

>nw
Vacant Lot

Michael follows you.

>west
Riverwalk

Michael follows you.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

I wonder if its that misty path we were arbitrarily blocked by
We can try it.

>south

Chilly Avenue

>South
"Actually," says Michael, "I think the house is in the other direction."

Oh, was it... Uh...

>Look

Chilly Avenue

Michael waits patiently nearby.

Sometimes I forget which way is which.

>Southwest
You hesitate at the edge of the mist, but Michael has already started up the road. Without a word, he walks through the insubstantial vapors, which part before him almost deferentially before dissolving away into nothing.

The ground begins to rise sharply as the road climbs up into the hills south of town.

Scenic View
The treeline falls away on the north side of this northwest-northeast bend in the road, giving way to a panoramic view of the Miskaton River Valley and the grubby little town of Anchorhead nestled within it. From here you can see the paper mill almost directly to the north; the solitary lighthouse and surrounding ocean to the northeast; and the dilapidated stone church below you to the east. Winding through it all is the oily black ribbon of the Miskaton, and almost directly in the center lies the little clearing of Town Square. You can just make out the shape of the obelisk from here.

Michael is here waiting for you.

The geometry of how this view is possible feels non-euclidian, but maybe that my imagination failing me. I can't tell if we live on a hill or at the top of a spiral or what! We clearly live about the town.

>Look at mill
The dark structure of the paper mill squats broodingly in the crook of the Miskaton river.

We missed that on Day one, but we'll have our chance later.

>Look at lighthouse
The lighthouse stands tall against the horizon, a dingy white tower amidst a gray sky and a grayer sea. Despite the ominous cast to the weather, no beacon is shining from the tower's top.

Ooo! That looks important.

>Look at Miskaton
The Miskaton winds down from the northwest, then bends in a more easterly direction some miles west of town. Its last half-mile or so neatly divides the town of Anchorhead in half before emptying into the sea. Its waters are murky and torpid, hiding many old secrets in its languid depths.

"I apologized about the car, right?" says Michael sheepishly.

You son of a bitch! I told you not to bring up the car again!
No safe word for you tonight!

>Look at Town Square
You can just make out the shape of the obelisk from here.

>Look at obelisk
You can just make out the shape of the obelisk from here.

Very helpful.

>Ask mike about lighthouse
Michael scratches his head. "I don't really know much about that," he says.

>Ask Mike about mill
Michael scratches his head. "I don't really know much about that," he says.

A sudden fit of coughing from Michael makes you worry. You need to find the house soon, or your husband will catch cold.

Oh no! Don't get sick!
We should move on, I guess.

>Northwest

Outside the House
The lane runs up from the southeast and ends at a wide clearing surrounded by gnarled and ancient trees. A wide, curving driveway runs up to the front door of your house, which lies north.

The fabled Verlac family mansion looms before you in the gloom, its dark creaking presence dominating the clearing and, somehow, even though it is not visible through the trees, the entire valley. The foreboding shadow of the Verlacs seems to enshroud all of Anchorhead from here.

A typewritten notice has been attached to the front door.

Michael strolls along after you.

"Well," says Michael, "this must be the place. We finally made it, honey. We're home!"

This is it! Hell sweet Home.

>Look at house
(the Verlac mansion)
The house comprises two stories and an attic, and a smaller domed cupola atop the roof. Its windows are unlit and tightly shuttered, its roof steep and precipitous, and its grounds unkempt and strewn with weeds. The place unmistakably radiates an aura of thick, cold malevolence.

>Read note
It's a letter from the Arkham Regional Utilities Company, explaining that, due to wiring difficulties, the electricity will not be installed until next week. No phone service, either.

"Well, that's wonderful news," remarks Michael dryly, reading over your shoulder.

Klepto-senses tingling.

>Take note
Taken.

>Put note in coat
You slip the typewritten notice into the pocket of your trenchcoat.

>look at trees
The woods are ancient, thick with undergrowth and full of shadows. Branches creak, leaves rustle beneath unseen, half-imagined footsteps, and strange birdcalls echo through the trees.

>Look at door
The front door is a huge, paneled slab of black oak adorned with a brass knocker in its center.

>look in windows
You can't see in through the closely-spaced slats of the shutters.

>open door
It seems to be locked.

Ah, but as the game has given us so many points for...

>Unlock door
You unlock the front door.

>Open door
You open the front door.

>

I think that's enough for today.
This will also give you guys one last chance to think up questions, because once inside, I don't think we'll be able to interview out hubby again.

Any last ideas?

Items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I suppose we could ask Michael about the trees, or the door, or perhaps the Necronomicon...

• Locked thread