Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

Now you can buy your mods! Support those modders whether you like it or not!

And remember, :filez: aren't cool, so no talking about pirating these paid mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Korthal posted:

:filez: aren't cool, so no talking about pirating these paid mods

The creation of mod piracy is the funniest thing that's going to come out of this.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:cripes:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
finally i can get the scrib crusher, for only 50 cents!!!!!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is a good thing because now my big friend of the family dick mod for Skyrim will get the money I deserve

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

what the gently caress

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

time to monetize those horse genitals

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
"I ripped off a weapon from another game please pay me $1."

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be fair, I was able to survive off dota 2 items while unemployed, there will be a market for this and modders will make some cash

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I already have Wet and Cold installed from ages ago, and I don't even think it was through steam workshop either. So I guess get wrecked Wet and Cold sellout guy

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

$40 freaking dollas...!

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
:whitewater: :barf: :barf: :whitewater:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Black Baby Goku posted:

To be fair, I was able to survive off dota 2 items while unemployed, there will be a market for this and modders will make some cash

they get 25% of every purchase, and need at least 100$ worth of purchases before they get any money though. like for midas magic its whatever, they make a solid buck fifty and its actually a good mod, but these swords or whatever that cost 50 cents literally arent worth selling

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

qnqnx posted:

$40 freaking dollas...!

whoa whoa whoa there, karl marx, there's a sale. it's thirty!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../.................... _____.......__............._____
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸............|...__.....\....|...|............/... ___|
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\..........|...|....\....|....|...|...........|..../
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...').........|...|.....|...|....|...|...........|...|
.........\.................'...../...........|...|__/...|....|...|____....|...\____
..........''...\.......... _.·..............|_____./.....\______\....\_____|
............\..............(
..............\.............

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the train simulator community is all 60 year old men who make trains and tracks for the game and sell them to each other for $40 a pop

Korthal
May 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

the train simulator community is all 60 year old men who make trains and tracks for the game and sell them to each other for $40 a pop

I've heard a few reasons why this works

• The market is very small, and requires a high price point because setting it low would not generate any more sales. Would reducing the price down to $5 make you want to buy virtual trains
  • The more important point: People who play these games are the crazy train dads that have the $30,000 invested into a miniature train world in their basement. To them, spending $2,000 on virtual trains is not that expensive considering they're paying $500 for each real train that doesn't have nearly as much functionality as the virtual trains do.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
please respect the artists i put a lot of work into creating the most realistic barbarian tits with milk squirting action and i deserve to be paid

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Korthal posted:

I've heard a few reasons why this works

• The market is very small, and requires a high price point because setting it low would not generate any more sales. Would reducing the price down to $5 make you want to buy virtual trains
  • The more important point: People who play these games are the crazy train dads that have the $30,000 invested into a miniature train world in their basement. To them, spending $2,000 on virtual trains is not that expensive considering they're paying $500 for each real train that doesn't have nearly as much functionality as the virtual trains do.

yea its cool

also i think part of it is there used to be boxed 3rd party addons to flight simulator in stores so they still kinda understand that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i didnt mean the train sim dlc in steam, the train sim people have their own sites and forums where they sell their mods to each other because the official train sim dlc isnt enough

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

i didnt mean the train sim dlc in steam, the train sim people have their own sites and forums where they sell their mods to each other because the official train sim dlc isnt enough

jesus

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
a train sim black market

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../.................... _____.......__............._____
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸............|...__.....\....|...|............/... ___|
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\..........|...|....\....|....|...|...........|..../
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...').........|...|.....|...|....|...|...........|...|
.........\.................'...../...........|...|__/...|....|...|____....|...\____
..........''...\.......... _.·..............|_____./.....\______\....\_____|
............\..............(
..............\.............

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wish i loved anything as much as those men love trains

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
PC gaming: We're literally charging you money for peoples' garbage now.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

:siren: I would like to point out that the mods are Pay What You Want and that you don't have to pay the MSRP:siren:

† minimum is set by the modder and cannot go below $0.49

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

PC gaming: We're literally charging you money for peoples' garbage now.

and here I am, reading your posts for free

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hahahaha lol

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Black Baby Goku posted:

i wish i loved anything as much as those men love trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNqwsRB85Q

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i dont really like mods

Korthal
May 26, 2011

You guys are overreacting. Those smart people in Games are on the ball.

Azran posted:

People deserve to be paid for work, especially if that work is literally "improve a game". If you do not want to pay just don't. I personally know people that will love this - modders in countries with lovely economies will love this.

I wonder if they delayed Attila's workshop for this.

Azran posted:

Reminder that Counter Strike and Killing Floor are mods people have paid money for during a long rear end time.

deadly_pudding posted:

Wanna jump on this pile.

This just in: I can't believe they're charging us money for that Unreal Tournament 3 mod, Batman: Arkham City.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Korthal posted:

You guys are overreacting. Those smart people in Games are on the ball.

I think the last dude is being facetious but lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

its a good post

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Well, it is Games after all, it's hard to tell.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

We shouldn't be complaining, since we paid :10bux: to be able to talk about this here in the first place.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Steam's charging for mods.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Steam and Bethesda got together to come up with a plan to charge people for user made mods, and now they're doing it. This isn't a joke, and is actually something which exists, starting today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
whats stopping someone from just buying the mod, copying the files, then using the 24 hour refund

• Locked thread