Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DRAGON: A Game About a Dragon is a side-scrolling action RPG modeled after games like Wonder Boy and Popful Mail. It mimics the feel of the 16-bit era while employing a very unique visual style!

True OGs will recognize that its biological father is actually Front Mission Gun Hazard.

Steam, Website, Twitter*

*I'm not actually sure this is a relevant link because like all good Twitters, it mostly only gets posted to when I'm really loving high on account of I ain't a businessman

Our gameplay trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T-NvYQ3kjw

Our very much not-gameplay trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZXvdkBWwFg

DRAGON usurps Final Fantasy IX as the most Hawaiian video game that isn't a weird iOS knockoff of Magic: The Gathering. It was developed in-state by one dude who, unlike IX's dev team, actually is Hawaiian and, with its release, FF9 is also no longer the only game to unironically feature aloha shirts. However, DRAGON does not have a synthesized ukulele track, because that's trashy.

The game itself is a lighthearted and fairly casual experience where you get to play as the dragon. Beat up knights, soldiers, and tourists, just like a real dragon would! With sufficient reflexes, foreknowledge, and a tiny bit of RNG luck, you could beat the entire game without gaining a single level and, indeed, without getting hit even once. For everyone else, it's a straight RPG: find treasures to increase your stats and spend gold to level up. The treasures are hidden behind cartoon-logic puzzles and are completely optional... but you might wanna pick 'em all up anyway, because every one you find will decorate your house with more junk as you accumulate it in your adventures!

Its Front Mission Gun Hazard paternity comes in the form a player-blind mechanic that passively increases your strength based on your playstyle. The more you fly to avoid hazards, the longer you'll be able to maintain flight; the more you use your claws, the more damage they'll do; and the more you get hit, the more health you'll get! I mean, other things, too, like the general format, but its passive hidden power-ups were pretty much #1 on my to-do list.

This game was originally going to be the first game on Steam with a Hawaiian language option, but everyone who could've translated it properly was way too busy with their master's theses. Instead, it's the first game on Steam with a Hawaiian Creole English language option.

Q: This is one of those goddamn indie games, isn't it. Do I have to be familiar with the complete works of Sartre or Ayn Rand to "get it?"
A: Nope! It's friendly and accessible to everyone. Well, "everyone" if you don't mind your kids playing a game with more weed references in it than GTA. The writing is just tongue-in-cheek and the story is just supposed to be fun and happy. That said, you'll like it even more if you know your Roald Dahl and Twelfth Night.

Q: Wait, so these aren't mock-ups? This is actual in-game footage and screenshots?
A: Absolutely, yes. Everything is hand-drawn and animated like we used to do before we had Flash or other methods of digital tweening.

Q: What about bosses? I like bosses.
A: I dunno about you,

but personally,

I like many strong men.

The real question is, who doesn't?

Q: Man why do I have to play as a frickin' dragon
A: Dogg I dunno, my username is The White Dragon, so I guess I just really like dragons. Enough to make a game about 'em, at least. Go figure, right?

More Screenshots

Oh, did I mention foreign language support? 'Cause we got that, too.

Soundtrack
The game was composed by Zack Parrish, who also worked on Valdis Story.
Keeping with the theme of the game, you can buy it for $4.20 from his Band Camp page here, or by clicking on its cover art:
f1.bcbits.com/img/a0060787459_10.jpg

It's fully released on Steam right now, and I'll be happy to field any questions you guys might have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How long is the game? Looks like my kind of thing, but I'm working on a backlog at the moment.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
This is the first game I've gone to Greenlight and said I'd buy it and actually made good on that promise.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nice banner. Good luck with the Dragons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Justin_Brett posted:

How long is the game? Looks like my kind of thing, but I'm working on a backlog at the moment.

It tests at about 3-4 hours. Some people have gotten stuck at certain points and they take a little longer, but I tried to put in more hint indicators towards "hey this is how you deal with this specific part multiple people have gotten stuck at."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Your crayon dragon game is somehow a 2GB download. I am now expecting the highest rez crayon graphix that today's personal computers are capable of rendering. We are now going to benchmark our video cards in Crayolas/second, and only the most powerful will have the pastel pipelines to achieve the full 152 "big box" threshold.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I just played an hour or so and really enjoyed the writing, graphics and music.

I found this small graphics glitch on the second level I believe, when I tried to put my flame onto that truck:

Seems like it's missing the last part of the animation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Klyith posted:

We are now going to benchmark our video cards in Crayolas/second, and only the most powerful will have the pastel pipelines to achieve the full 152 "big box" threshold.

I regret to inform you that DRAGON: A Game About a Dragon only uses a 47-color palette because our animation software was defective and came with two reds

Fart of Presto posted:

Seems like it's missing the last part of the animation.

I checked it out, it's because it's the one call to that animation under its conditions that doesn't stop after the last frame on the spritesheet. Should be fixed now, which also means I've sent out my first day-one patch :v:

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I also got this and played for about an hour; what a chill and fun game that does take me back to that sorta 'wonder boy' type gameplay. I, too, tried to burn the truck and when I did it (an hour ago) it showed the 'clink' graphic/sound.

Sent you a private message too!

edit: I don't think the screenshots do the art style justice, it's very unique and enjoyable in motion (though sometimes not clear what is a platform and what is background)

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 25, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
This game is pretty neat and as the Biggest Curator On Steam i approve of it.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
good lookin game goon

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Aloha aina is our dragon. Bulldoze your own indie game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

For some reason Coast of Dragons 2 has a story page I can't read. Otherwise the short bit I played was quite good and well worth my $5 - gonna wait on the rest to see if it gets patched for the bug I'm noting here.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Got through the game to the regular ending in about two hours, and I plan on exploring all the levels thoroughly eventually. It's a nice, charming game, and I'm glad I bought it.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Bought it on IndieGameStand, because it was about 60p cheaper and presumably you get more money.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

An anime rear end says this is a good game, that's all the convincing I need!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

For some reason Coast of Dragons 2 has a story page I can't read. Otherwise the short bit I played was quite good and well worth my $5 - gonna wait on the rest to see if it gets patched for the bug I'm noting here.

Could you indicate which page? The first line is "The dragon on the other side of the campfire," the last line is "manparties," and there are ten pages. Are you using the handwritten font or the simple/easy-read one?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The White Dragon posted:

Could you indicate which page? The first line is "The dragon on the other side of the campfire," the last line is "manparties," and there are ten pages. Are you using the handwritten font or the simple/easy-read one?

I think the confusion is that the stage still has a "play story" button on the world-map even though the story plays at the end of the stage, so both buttons just go straight to the stage. At least that was the confusion on my end.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
This game is adorable and also good. I bought a copy for myself and a couple of my friends.

Thank you for making it. :3:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nick Buntline posted:

I think the confusion is that the stage still has a "play story" button on the world-map even though the story plays at the end of the stage, so both buttons just go straight to the stage. At least that was the confusion on my end.

This is true, Coast of Dragons 2 and one of the secret stages does this. Doing "play story" on those just resets the end-of-stage flag. Any suggestions on how I could phrase it to avoid this confusion?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The White Dragon posted:

This is true, Coast of Dragons 2 and one of the secret stages does this. Doing "play story" on those just resets the end-of-stage flag. Any suggestions on how I could phrase it to avoid this confusion?

Maybe either setting it so the button prompt doesn't appear until the stage has been cleared, or changing it to say "replay" instead of "play"? The latter's probably easier and would hopefully be more clear about what it does, although it might cause some confusion to have a replay option on an unplayed stage.

Also, I think the achievement The Sly Eagle might be bugged? I've got the Sollerets and three of the gemstones, but it's still showing as 0/6 and no one else appears to have gotten it yet, so it might not be triggering correctly. Alternately I might have just screwed it up on my own by somehow dying while picking up the Sollerets (literally had the stage fade out while the game was paused for the item scroll), so who knows.

Also also, maybe I'm missing something, but is there not actually a Creole English language option? I'm just seeing regular English, German, and Japanese. (To be honest, I was actually looking forward to playing in that and seeing if I remembered anything from the language lessons you did in the FFIX LP!)

Anyway, so this isn't entirely complaints: congratulations on the game! It's definitely going on my list of fun things to buy for other people!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nick Buntline posted:

Also, I think the achievement The Sly Eagle might be bugged? I've got the Sollerets and three of the gemstones, but it's still showing as 0/6 and no one else appears to have gotten it yet, so it might not be triggering correctly.
I probably just misinterpreted the code to make it count up and I might just change those achievements to not have a counter; they should fire as normal once you get everything, though.

quote:

Also also, maybe I'm missing something, but is there not actually a Creole English language option? I'm just seeing regular English, German, and Japanese. (To be honest, I was actually looking forward to playing in that and seeing if I remembered anything from the language lessons you did in the FFIX LP!)
As it's basically half-unreadable to people who don't speak it, it's a bonus language that unlocks after you beat the final boss :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just wanted to say I got your game and had a smile on my face since pressing start :) Can't wait to see what else you decide to unleash upon the world!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Looks hilarious. You've made another purchase.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Nick Buntline posted:

This would explain a lot, but actually it displays the option to "play story" despite the fact that I haven't actually beaten the stage yet and in fact hadn't even played the stage before noticing it had an option to see the story. Now I think I'll go ahead and beat it though now that I know I won't miss any of the story by going through normally!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Overworld map is kind of a drag to navigate. Hows about being able to get to the level up screen anywhere on the map instead of at Dragon's house?

Wish Dragon had a run button. but I guess that would kinda gently caress everything else up.

Does a delightfulness setting ever unlock in the options? Because it is too high. loving everything, from the surprisingly well animated silly crayon art, to the Chronotrigger oozing music to the family safe yet still really funny cut scene humor.

Disappointed that I paid 5.09$ for it on steam yesterday then found it for 3.09$ at Jellys today next to the kung fu dvds.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sizone posted:

Overworld map is kind of a drag to navigate. Hows about being able to get to the level up screen anywhere on the map instead of at Dragon's house?
I've always been kinda considering it, but I've never pulled the trigger on it because I want the player to go back to the house and see all the treasures they've collected stack up. Is it that much of a dealbreaker that I should reconsider?

quote:

Does a delightfulness setting ever unlock in the options? Because it is too high. loving everything, from the surprisingly well animated silly crayon art, to the Chronotrigger oozing music to the family safe yet still really funny cut scene humor.

Maybe I'll add a mode where everything is digitally tweened to 60 frames of animation per second so it looks really creepy instead :v:

My actual vocational background is in news studio broadcasting and I played around a lot with stop animation when I was little, so I was pretty familiar with everything I needed to make the animations at least acceptable. I don't wanna point out what I know it's lacking, though, because it's one of those things you won't unsee, heh.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I've really enjoyed it thus far. Minor gripe though: I really wanna play games with my Playstation2 controller, but I get that Xinput is easier or whatever and everyone uses it now and just assumes everyone wants to play with a 360 controller I guess (I get it for 3d games, but for 2d games where you'd wanna use the d-pad it makes no sense, because the 360 d pad is rear end). So I've more or less resigned myself to having to use Xpadder every time I want to play a game with my controller. At the very least could you make the keyboard controls changable so that I can more easily map the controls before I start playing? I started the game up, and the only indications were accept and cancel, so I mapped them to circle for accept and cross for cancel, but I also wanna use cross for jumping, it's not the same keyboard key, and I can't change it!

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
does the dragon have sex with a car in this game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Justus posted:

So I've more or less resigned myself to having to use Xpadder every time I want to play a game with my controller. At the very least could you make the keyboard controls changable so that I can more easily map the controls before I start playing? I started the game up, and the only indications were accept and cancel, so I mapped them to circle for accept and cross for cancel, but I also wanna use cross for jumping, it's not the same keyboard key, and I can't change it!
You can rebind keys! It's under options, set controls to Customize and then confirm again to bring up the rebinding menu. The main menu will not rebind, however, because I wanted to make a failsafe against players rebinding keys in the options and then locking themselves out.

Liquid Penguins posted:

does the dragon have sex with a car in this game
the dragon can ride a car in this game but no sex with cars

that's the dlc

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

You can rebind keys! It's under options, set controls to Customize and then confirm again to bring up the rebinding menu. The main menu will not rebind, however, because I wanted to make a failsafe against players rebinding keys in the options and then locking themselves out.

Oh right, duh. Well in my defense, I'm, uh...too high to play this game apparently?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Love the voice of the grey dragon on the voiced trailer. Did all these characters specifically get developed for this game?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
During the ship fight I managed to somehow jump onto a horizontal-moving missile, onto another missile above and to the right of it, and get flown offscreen while missiles continued to rain down until the boss fight ended; I couldn't hear myself jumping/using breath so I don't know what happened but I won!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mr. nobody posted:

During the ship fight I managed to somehow jump onto a horizontal-moving missile, onto another missile above and to the right of it, and get flown offscreen while missiles continued to rain down until the boss fight ended; I couldn't hear myself jumping/using breath so I don't know what happened but I won!
What a weird thing for me to have missed! I just never put in a check to see if the missiles were still dragging you past the stage boundary. I just put up a patch to fix it. The boss died anyway because you can't actually damage it, it has to damage itself.

Verdugo posted:

Love the voice of the grey dragon on the voiced trailer. Did all these characters specifically get developed for this game?
A couple of them sort of existed as nebulous characters in comics with bad jokes I used to sketch in college instead of taking notes or listening, but for the most part, the cast is just for this game, yeah. I mean, except for a couple of the bosses, who are satires of historical people. Well one isn't historical yet and will only be a footnote, but still.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying this game. It's taken me waaaaay too long to piece together some of the environmental interactions with different breath skills though, good lord.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The White Dragon posted:

I've always been kinda considering it, but I've never pulled the trigger on it because I want the player to go back to the house and see all the treasures they've collected stack up. Is it that much of a dealbreaker that I should reconsider?

Maybe I'll add a mode where everything is digitally tweened to 60 frames of animation per second so it looks really creepy instead :v:

It's not exactly a deal breaker, but it is a flow breaker. I'm sure Dragon is very proud of the horde he is amassing and wants to invite everyone over for a bowl and a heineken while he shows it off at every possible opportunity, but I don't really need or want to appraise it after every level or two, whereas I -do- want to up some stats every level or two. Dunno, when you boot the game the cursor defaults to being over Dragon's house, maybe that is enough frequency for horde viewing? Maybe some blinking indicator that new treasure has been acquired.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
OP, this game is pretty cool is it coming out for any consoles? I rather not have to play this with a 360 controller.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
hi, why are you such a bad programmer?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

The White Dragon posted:

Sizone posted:

It's not exactly a deal breaker, but it is a flow breaker. I'm sure Dragon is very proud of the horde he is amassing and wants to invite everyone over for a bowl and a heineken while he shows it off at every possible opportunity, but I don't really need or want to appraise it after every level or two, whereas I -do- want to up some stats every level or two. Dunno, when you boot the game the cursor defaults to being over Dragon's house, maybe that is enough frequency for horde viewing? Maybe some blinking indicator that new treasure has been acquired.

Meeting halfway idea: Remove the home from the world map and put "Go Home" onto its own button. Just a thought I had from reading this.

My one ultimately minor complaint is that, as a DS3 user, I can't play the game with a Dpad. That's my one complaint with it so far.

ghostinmyshell posted:

OP, this game is pretty cool is it coming out for any consoles? I rather not have to play this with a 360 controller.

If you've got a DS3 look up Scarlet Crush's XInput Wrapper. If you've got a DS4 look up DS4Windows. I think XBone controllers work out of the box wired with the latest XInput drivers? idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I bought your game and played up to the final boss today. Needed a break, that guy is tough. I've seen the game progress in the game dev thread and congrats on getting the game finished! I had an enjoyable experience playing through the game and enjoyed the little touches you'd throw into the levels. Best of luck with sales!

• Locked thread