Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A brief speech from First Diplomatic Minister DivineCoffeeBinge
DL0001: The Witherwoods Dispute

Keep the Republic of Charome talking and stall them while we do the following:
--Investigate the legality of the Charomian (Charomite?) claims, preferably with help from the Research Pact
--Request advice from the Economic Pact on the potential harm to our economy if the Witherwoods come under Charomian control

I support the motion of Diplomatic Minister DivineCoffeeBinge to diplomatically stall the Charomites while we investigate the validity of their claims (and incidentally give me 1-3 years to build up a defensive force to repel them or act as diplomatic leverage). I change my vote to support this and associated actions as suggested by Minister DivineCoffeeBinge.

jon joe posted:

Note: Although I generally attempt to read this thread completely, it is completely possible that I miss some necessary point directed towards me. If this is the case, please do not hesitate to remind me.

If it's not too much trouble for you do you think you could keep a tab of the votes/proposals on the board for us in the posts following the OP? It's not really necessary right now since there's only the four and then my proposal, and relatively few of us at the moment but it might be helpful in the long run to have a scoreboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

goodness posted:

The magic "bandits", more nomads, will not be dispersed within the forces. They will be trained extremely well before ever seeing the battlefield and will not be mixing with the general population.

You would give murderers and thieves more training? What do you expect will happen? That they'll happily fight and die for the Empire whose code they flaunt and whose citizens they murder for their own personal gain? If they wanted to be soldiers they would have enlisted ages ago rather than turn to a life of banditry.

What happens if they escape from their custody? What happens if they - with their fresh supplies and training - murder their guards and return to banditry? Imagine the misery they have already caused, and increase it fivefold.

Giving aid to bandits is simply unacceptable. We must dispense justice to the bandits in the only way they deserve: their swift and immediate executions.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

With regards to that Attorney General, it is my hope that (at least in the case of the two youngest bandits) a lifetime of military service and the full force of the military brigade in which they are bound to will serve to teach them the error of their ways and make productive, contributing members of Lomosian society of them. In the history of nations, the military has ever been a crucible for the stupid, the lazy, and the morally unsound, as well as a proving ground for young men of disadvantaged means. It is through discipline and war which such men are forged into something better and of use to the state.

Of course the penalty for desertion, treason, and other capital or major military crimes is death so should they reoffend or flee it will be the duty of the military to track them down and execute military justice. You have my personal guarantee that swift and summary execution awaits penal conscripts should they fail in their duty to Lomos.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 26, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Puppies are dicks posted:

If it's not too much trouble for you do you think you could keep a tab of the votes/proposals on the board for us in the posts following the OP? It's not really necessary right now since there's only the four and then my proposal, and relatively few of us at the moment but it might be helpful in the long run to have a scoreboard.

I'll keep track of votes regarding Pacts; Halls are your all's responsibility to track. However, I will not be keeping an in-thread running tally due to the work involved. I could set up a google doc to access, though. I'll do that tomorrow.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Of course the penalty for desertion, treason, and other capital or major military crimes is death
So is the penalty for banditry and murder, and yet you seem fine to ignore that when it is convenient for you.

And with all due respect minister, I am well aware of the military's interest in this matter, but I remain unpersuaded. There are better ways to reinforce the Empire's Finest - this isn't it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I propose that we form a hall to discern how the public feels about this, and what laws they feel we should enact regarding crime, military service as a punishment, and the treatment of underage criminals. In the meantime, since we have laughably few laws concerning the rights of criminals, let the boys in research poke and prod them while they wait for the verdict.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

EccoRaven posted:

You would give murderers and thieves more training? What do you expect will happen? That they'll happily fight and die for the Empire whose code they flaunt and whose citizens they murder for their own personal gain? If they wanted to be soldiers they would have enlisted ages ago rather than turn to a life of banditry.

What happens if they escape from their custody? What happens if they - with their fresh supplies and training - murder their guards and return to banditry? Imagine the misery they have already caused, and increase it fivefold.

Giving aid to bandits is simply unacceptable. We must dispense justice to the bandits in the only way they deserve: their swift and immediate executions.

You are just blind to anything different. Just because someone is a magician does not mean they are a murderer. He who believes the tales of the common man is a fool. See for yourself in our history the persecution of falsely accused magicians.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
A Hall over their fate is not necessary. Their fates are already proscribed by the Imperial Code. Capital crimes, such as banditry, murder, and violent larceny, are punished by banishment or execution. The severity of their crimes and their danger to the internal safety of the Empire requires, in the interest of justice, that they be executed.

Councilor, have you never felt the fear of a bandit attack? Have you traveled between our cities without locking your valuables in a trunk?

Imagine if bandits attacked your home, robbed you of your valuables, and murdered your family. Would you not be appalled if you found out they later continued living and breathing at our taxpayer's lomosians?

Justice is not doing what is convenient. Justice is about doing what is right.

goodness posted:

You are just blind to anything different. Just because someone is a magician does not mean they are a murderer. He who believes the tales of the common man is a fool.

Do you deny that they are bandits? Do you deny the corpses left in their path? Do you deny the valuables they have stolen?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

EccoRaven posted:

Do you deny that they are bandits? Do you deny the corpses left in their path? Do you deny the valuables they have stolen?

Even if that is true, they will be separated from the population. Held in a secure location and used to extract more power and research to rise above our neighboring states. If we must, we can end them anytime we needed if that is your ultimate goal.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

goodness posted:

Even if that is true

I'm probably done discussing this issue with you. It's clear you're too far removed from the reality of their crimes. I ask that you reassess your position and realize that magic at the expense of innocent lives is morally repugnant.

I apologize for the curtness but this discussion is dragging out too much already as it is. You all should consider discussing the other topics; the Correctional Pact as stated has no interest either way in them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

I'm probably done discussing this issue with you. It's clear you're too far removed from the reality of their crimes. I ask that you reassess your position and realize that magic at the expense of innocent lives is morally repugnant.

I apologize for the curtness but this discussion is dragging out too much already as it is. You all should consider discussing the other topics; the Correctional Pact as stated has no interest either way in them.

You are ignoring the rest of what I said though. Don't fall victim to the fallacy fallacy. My cause is just though an old wizard I may be.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I have changed Pact voting to include actions to take as a subset of the event, each proposed one of which can be voted on separately. Voting for each action is now simple majority instead of plurality. I will edit the doc into this post and the OP when it is done.

link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gsB0FD7XXjiWWsO_HBhYQWZbxTUNgPbL1XUMukBWNF0/edit?usp=sharing

If you discuss votes in the form of the doc, it makes it a lot easier for me to track votes. Also, I prefer new posts over editing your old post if you change your vote, as I may not catch edits. Finally, if you note a vote is wrong, either your own or another, please notify me (with supporting post evidence, preferably).

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 26, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Event: The following event has occurred and requires action.

RSL0001: Stop the rats.
Description: Swarms of rats have been roaming our farmlands, ravaging our crops and even killing a few animals. All with blue fur, they appear to have a hunger far beyond those of normal rats. While they have yet to deal more than a few hundred Lomosians worth of damage, they could do a lot more if left unchecked to eat and breed. It is unknown if they are magical in some manner, but affected farmers are calling for their removal.

While any given event has its Pacts set by me, if sufficient argument is provided to me, I can add or remove Pacts.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 26, 2015

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Sign me up for Economic Pact

"Hello, my name is Ron Swanson."

M0001: My idea of a perfect government is one guy who sits in a small room at a desk, and the only thing he’s allowed to decide is who to nuke. We need magical nukes immediately. Also we should encourage mercenaries to enlist. They have combat experience, and can be used to train new troops effectively. Offering them a job where they still get to swing a sword, without the threat of having one swung back at them, should be an easy sell.

Mr. Swanson as you are the only Economic expert our nation has I can only reserve judgment on the wisdom and positive results of your economic policy. However I will have to for now veto your suggestions as to our military defense. Currently as Research is one of the lowest funded Pacts and we have no magical resources or spell casters to speak of researching magical nukes is nothing but a waste of time and money which could be spent better elsewhere.

We also still and I must again stress this in the strongest of terms have no effective standing army with which to defend ourselves. If we had nukes they would be taken from us by any opponent who cared to march troops in past our completely undefended borders. Hiring mercenaries is also impractical because mercenaries are only as biddable as the highest bidder. As mercenaries their loyalty would be dependent on how much we could pay them and how frequently. I would much rather take the more cost effective and time-honored method of training local forces and purchasing local supplies in order to inject funds from military spending back into the local economy. Patriotism, hard work, and a steadfast nation are the rewards that the military gifts to its recruits. Surely a man of your background can respect those values and see the value in imparting them to our nation's youth?

My fellow Councillors, the solution to this rat problem is obvious. Allow me to fund the creation of the Lomosian Home Guard and I will deploy them immediately to assist in exterminating these pests and distributing aid to the effected populace. The Military Pact will absorb the primary cost of recruiting and training the Home Guard as a matter of its basic operations, but any material assistance from other Pacts in conducting Research, Logistics transport, or Spiritual Pact operations would be welcome as the majority of the Military budget has already been earmarked for this year.

quote:

E0001b: Raise local government tax to 10%

Yes: Puppies, goodness
No: Captain Bravo(5)

M0001e: Research magical nukes
Yes: Captain Bravo
No: Puppies(5)

M0001f: Encourage mercenaries to enlist
Yes: Captain Bravo
No: Puppies(5)

(M?)RSL0001a: Deploy Home Guard(assuming M0001a-c passes) to exterminate/capture rats for Military Research brigade, distribute aid if Logistics or Spiritual Pact wishes to fund those efforts.
Yes: Puppies(5?)

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 26, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

My fellow Councillors, the solution to this rat problem is obvious. Allow me to fund the creation of the Lomosian Home Guard and I will deploy them immediately to assist in exterminating these pests and distributing aid to the effected populace. The Military Pact will absorb the primary cost of recruiting and training the Home Guard as a matter of its basic operations, but any material assistance from other Pacts in conducting Research, Logistics transport, or Spiritual Pact operations would be welcome as the majority of the Military budget has already been earmarked for this year.

I agree with this Councilor. It seems the rats may have a mutation from what we have heard of the problem. I would like to get the bodies for research. My Pact does not have much funding but we can provide 5,000 Lomosians

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
While the issue of rats is far outside the purview of the Diplomatic Pact, I do want to ask... are we really saying that rats are a matter for the Military?

Rats? Honestly?

Surely the Logistics and Research Pacts can handle rats without our needing to declare them enemies of the state.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign

Joking aside, if these rats are big enough to kill livestock and threaten entire fields of crops what would you classify them as? Besides, the work would be good for the Home Guard as it gives them familiarity with operations within Lomos and experience coordinating with other units and Pacts. If they're magical live-capturing a few and running them through the Military Research Brigade couldn't hurt either so that we can defend ourselves against similar threats in the future.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
It is ruling of the Foundation that to involve the Military in pest execution, a 2/3rds vote through a Hall will be a required.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Well for most countries the national guard exists to respond to domestic emergencies as well, and in times of natural disaster may be deployed to dig ditches, build levees, rescue/evacuate civilians, or distribute aid supplies and otherwise liase with trained staff from other agencies. For my part I'd like the opportunity to use the Home Guard and get them used to the idea of working as a unit and performing hard physical labor on behalf of the military, because that's about 80% of all preliminary military training. That they'll get experience killing stuff is just frosting on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

But I've already got a Hall/proposal waiting to be voted on so I'll wait to see if anybody else is into the idea and willing to back it. If you don't pick the military option please keep in mind that ordinary, non-magical, non-livestock killing rats can quadruple(or more) their population roughly every two months or so depending on the species. Usually a single female rat gives birth to about 40 new rats over the course of a year. It's anyone's guess how fast magic blue rats breed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign

Joking aside, if these rats are big enough to kill livestock and threaten entire fields of crops what would you classify them as? Besides, the work would be good for the Home Guard as it gives them familiarity with operations within Lomos and experience coordinating with other units and Pacts. If they're magical live-capturing a few and running them through the Military Research Brigade couldn't hurt either so that we can defend ourselves against similar threats in the future.

Internal threats are, by definition, in the portfolio of the Correctional Pact. If we learn that these blue rats were introduced to our nation by a foreign enemy, then maybe it becomes a Military Pact matter, but until then, let's leave this up to the people whose responsibility it is, yes?

(OOC: Not that I don't appreciate your efforts to go Maximum Stalin ASAP, Puppies, but... :D)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Internal threats are, by definition, in the portfolio of the Correctional Pact. If we learn that these blue rats were introduced to our nation by a foreign enemy, then maybe it becomes a Military Pact matter, but until then, let's leave this up to the people whose responsibility it is, yes?

(OOC: Not that I don't appreciate your efforts to go Maximum Stalin ASAP, Puppies, but... :D)

Well would you like to have some oversight on the project?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Vote against it then and we can wait to see how the rest of the Council feels. If Corrections, Spiritual, Logistics, or anyone else wants to hire, train, and equip rat catchers to be deployed across the nation then they can certainly do so within their remit from their own Pact budgets and I have no objections. I am merely offering military solutions which minimize the cost to our nation with the resources I have available. There's no need to hire rat catchers if we can simply turn rat catching and extermination into a military training exercise which benefits all parties.

Rat catching involves scouring fields and sewers, as well as repetitive digging and requires the manpower of large-scale eradication methods to be fully effective. If you or the Corrections Pact want to fund that please feel free to make your own proposal and earmark your own budget although I would assume from the RSL heading that this matter is no more the purview of Corrections as it is Military unless we vote it so.

Give me just one Great Patriotic War...(but seriously let's not. 1/5 people dying off is terrible I'd rather we kill 1/5 of our enemy nations' populace instead given the chance which is why we need more troops and more time not getting eaten by a ratillion monster rats spawned by the death curse of 22 evil wizards and their hidden accomplices):woof:

But yeah cast your votes and spend your budget as you will. I'll do the dirty work and goodness is apparently willing to pony up $5k to research the bodies if nobody else has a plan or money to spend for this. I would not turn down any cash or help from other Pacts if they want to get fancier with this like humping Spiritual aid supplies to the effected areas or coordinating with Logistics or anything else.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Sorry for my lack of activity today, a storm has knocked out my internet, and also made the signal from my phone pretty tenuous at best.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Voting for all events except for Stop the rats will end tomorrow evening. Stop the rats will end the evening after that.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
We'll put our vote behind Minister EccoRaven's proposal as it seems the most acceptable there, and contribute 25'000 Lems to the task.

EDIT: We also support Minster Puppies proposal to press more petty criminals into military service.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 27, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Rebecco of House Raven
Attorney General of the True Empire of Lomos
Chief of the Correctional Pact

With regards to the rat problem, I think the Correctional Pact's light security forces - in conjunction with the Logistics Pact - should be enough to stop them. If it would please the Research Pact, we can send all the rats we kill to them for further study, in case they have magical qualities.

I reject calling in the national guard to hunt vermin. Our military needs to train against humans, not mice.

For RSL0001 I propose: hunting them down using local security forces (with help from Logistics) and sending the bodies to Research.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 27, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

For RSL0001 I propose: hunting them down using local security forces (with help from Logistics) and sending the bodies to Research.

First Minister DivineCoffeeBinge of the Diplomatic Pact supports this proposal.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Lieutenant Quartermaster presents the following message from the Quartermaster General.

M0001: Train Military Yes.
We must train troops in order to ensure peace at home and abroad. We will keep the increased number of soldiers occupied with public works and infrastructure improvements.

The Logistics Pact will provide L$ 1,000 for this purpose.

Conscripting petty criminals will keep the convicts gainfully employed.

DL0001: Charome Trade Shortcut Yes.
The Diplomatic Pact should determine the legitimacy of Charome's claims to our sovereign territory. The Quartermaster General advises establishing an official trade route and toll road.

E0001: Set Taxes
The Quartermaster General requests no changes at this time. Do not tax the farmers. Agriculture is the backbone of our grand society.

RSL0001: Stop the Rats Yes.
These vermin will become a serious threat if left unchecked. The Logistics Pact will establish a corps of rat catchers and ratting canines. The Research Pact may handle the carcasses as they please.

The Logistics Pact will provide L$ 500 for this task.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think the current vote structuring is a bit inefficient. I'm going to see if I can't create some auto-submit forms to better track voting.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The Lieutenant Quartermaster presents the following message from the Quartermaster General.

M0001: Train Military Yes.
We must train troops in order to ensure peace at home and abroad. We will keep the increased number of soldiers occupied with public works and infrastructure improvements.

The Logistics Pact will provide L$ 1,000 for this purpose.

Accept this as an amendment to M0001a-c, to deploy Home Guard in public works & infrastructure labor capacity i.e. digging ditches, felling trees, and related unskilled labor activities as part of their preliminary training for this year. Those boys need all the hard work and lovely jobs the army can give them. Builds character and the Logistics Pact sounds like they're willing to spring for cheap slop to feed them once they've been issued boots and orders so hopefully keeps my overhead down too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thread dead, sorry for wasting a few days of your time. I didn't realize what a pain it would be to create a sense-making vote system for an online forum that can handle multiple different subject votes simultaneously. May or may not recreate game in future if I think of a better system.

• Locked thread