Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Poltergeist is one of the greatest. At its heart it's a kidnapping movie. Unlike most horror movies the central fear isn't death, it's that they won't see their daughter again, and that really taps into the heart strings.

But here's a question I have always been wondering and since somebody finally made a Poltergeist thread I thought I'd post it here:

Is the movie is actually about both a poltergeist and a haunting? There was a demon that wanted Carrie Ann, but the surprise at the end is that there were also spirits haunting the house because of their desecrated grave.

I never really thought about it but I think the idea was to set up the expectation of a mostly harmless poltergeist, then as things get progressively worse you realize its much more serious than that. At the end you realize the whole place was just hosed from the start, the "poltergeist" activity was like a tremor preceding a massive volcanic eruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's a big Twinkie.

Basically

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr Scoofles posted:

I remember a scene with the parents messing about on the bed, jumping on the mattress, smoking a joint, having a laugh together like two childish idiots.

I agree, the performances of Nelson and Williams really carry the movie, the scene you mentioned in particular. That scene goes a really long way towards making the characters likeable, people you want to be ok in the end. A lot of horror movies try for that exact kind of scene early on in the film and it rarely if ever comes across as genuine and endearing as that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If Hooper was really a coked up mess on-set I find it hard to believe Spielberg wouldn't have just fired him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really did gain a whole new appreciation for Hooper when I saw Lifeforce. Its so much more creative and stylish than I had previously thought Hooper was capable of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

The truth I think is just that Spielberg wanted to direct it himself but couldn't because of ET...

I think at the very least we can say that this part is true based on what Spielberg has said. He pretty openly states in that article that in a perfect world he would have been able to direct ET and Poltergeist, but the schedules just made it impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope by giving people "references they can relate to" he means thematically, not just the fact that there will be cellphones and flatscreen T.V.s in the movie.

• Locked thread