Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Poltergeist is one of the greatest. At its heart it's a kidnapping movie. Unlike most horror movies the central fear isn't death, it's that they won't see their daughter again, and that really taps into the heart strings.

But here's a question I have always been wondering and since somebody finally made a Poltergeist thread I thought I'd post it here:

quote:

Diane: How long have you been investigating haunted houses?
Dr. Lesh: Mrs. Freeling, the determination as to whether your home is haunted is not very easy. [A heavy teapot slides across the table in front of her] I -- what I meant to say was, it might very well be a poltergeist intrusion instead of a classic haunting.
[Light flashes twice]
Diane: There's going to be two more in a couple of seconds. They always come in pairs.
Dr. Lesh: Dr. Casey.
[Casey fails to photograph the light flashes]
Diane: You got to be quicker than that around here.
Steve: There's a difference?
Ryan: It's electrical. You can smell the charge.
Dr. Lesh: Poltergeist are usually associated with an individual. Hauntings seem to be connected with an area, a house usually.
Marty: Poltergeist disturbances are of fairly short duration, perhaps a couple of months. Hauntings can go on for -- years.
Diane: Are you telling me that all of this could just suddenly end at any time?
Dr. Lesh: Yes, it could, unless it's a haunting. But hauntings don't usually revolve around living people.
Diane: Then we don't have much time, Dr. Lesh, because my daughter is alive somewhere inside this house.
Is the movie is actually about both a poltergeist and a haunting? There was a demon that wanted Carrie Ann, but the surprise at the end is that there were also spirits haunting the house because of their desecrated grave.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

lizardman posted:

I think it was a haunted house that sort of turned into a Poltergeist situation. The ghouls' primary disturbance is that the house is built over their graves, they (well, specifically "The Beast" who is like the big cheese of the group) get revenge/whatever else by kidnapping Carol Anne. The family manages to get Carol Anne back, which just pisses them off even more and decide this family are their mortal enemies, etc.

It's been a few years since I've seen it so that might not be 100% right, but I'm almost absolutely sure that it isn't "This one ghost (The Beast) decides to kidnap Carol Anne" and THEN "These OTHER random ghosts are pissed that they steamrolled their graves", they're a lot more unified than that.

I dunno, I recall Zelda Rubinstein's character saying that the Beast lied to and misled the other spirits, it seems like it's a separate party from the humans and the desecrated dead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I was really young when I saw Poltergeist 2, and totally forgot what the vomit monster looked like, and when I looked it up again I thought, hey that looks like something Giger would have designed.

And sure enough, it was:

https://www.google.com/search?q=poltergeist+giger&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hwdEVfyUBIjSoASi94EI&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=880&bih=1172

• Locked thread