Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

lizardman posted:

My impression pretty much confirmed what I'd always felt about this one: it hardly feels like part of the series at all. There is a change in setting ("they're in the city now!" is the primary gimmick of this one) and the only cast members to return are Carol Anne and Tangina (Rev Kane is back, too, but played by someone else). The ghosts suddenly use mirrors/reflections and ice as their primary MO and there really isn't an explanation as to why. Sometimes the movie honestly feels like they took a random ghost script lying around and slapped the Poltergeist IP onto it Die Hard-style.

I'm pretty positive that's what happened - they took a script that was probably intended to be a sequel or ripoff of The Sentinel, and did a quick rewrite to make it a Poltergeist movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Shneak posted:

I haven't see any advertising for this thing anywhere. The trailers don't even seem to be that popular so it wasn't on my radar. Honestly I'm still kind of surprised it got remade.

Personally I don't think Poltergeist aged well so it could improve on the visual aspects.

This sort of thing I can't quite get my head around. Yeah, there are dodgy shots like when they open the door to the kid's room and there's some real bad compositing on the toys floating and spinning around the room, but just about everything else in the movie, from simple things like the floor sliding to the tree eating to the more intricate puppetry work as poo poo hits the fan and the compositing there, it all still looks tangible and feels real within the movie's design. Even the rope going through the portal back into the house looks perfectly fine. Really, in a decade where effects work ranged from groundbreaking to deplorable, Poltergeist still lands closer to the former for me, and that's having just watched it last week.

• Locked thread