Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I'd toss my support towards amphibian Goths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Frogoths or bust,

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Shoggoths

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I'm rooting for the Geats to take it all, original and best and so on¹. Of course, as someone born and raised in the Fortress of the Geats of West Geatland, with a view of the Geat River from my childhood bedroom, I may possibly be somewhat biased.

Incidentally, the slapfight between the Swedes and Castilians at whatever ecumenical council it was about who was the more Gothic may be slightly more complicated in the gothmod timeline.

¹ Yes, I know that's not actually true and just something Jordanes made up using the logic of "We Goths are better than the Romans, and we came from the north of Rome. Therefore, the more north, the better. Goths are the best of peoples. Therefore Goths must come from the most north."

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Raserys posted:

Shoggoths

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sorry about the delay folks, I got caught up in preparing for coming to pdxcon and then my laptop broke twenty minutes before I boarded my first flight over, so I'll have something sorted once I get back home and have access to the desktop machine again.

Xerophyte posted:

Incidentally, the slapfight between the Swedes and Castilians at whatever ecumenical council it was about who was the more Gothic may be slightly more complicated in the gothmod timeline.
Goths, Geats and Romania all have NIs that refer to themselves as Goths. Goths, Romanians, Loegrians/Brithenigs and the Hispanian realms (along with the Byzantines ofc) all have NIs that refer to themselves as Romans.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally read through this thread, and it's good to see Orthodox being broken up. It seems like it was a bit overpowered from both the east and west being the same religion and Catholicism and Islam, its two biggest competitors getting nerfed.

I don't remember there being this amount of character-based stuff in EU4 back when I played it either. Is it part of the mod, or is it something to do with further expansions?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finally read through this thread, and it's good to see Orthodox being broken up. It seems like it was a bit overpowered from both the east and west being the same religion and Catholicism and Islam, its two biggest competitors getting nerfed.

I don't remember there being this amount of character-based stuff in EU4 back when I played it either. Is it part of the mod, or is it something to do with further expansions?

Most of the character-based stuff was added in the Rights of Man expansion, October 2016.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, is this thing dead or...?

It was neat while it was goin on, though!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

We'll see. Ofaloaf's probably just busy and/or there's stuff to deal with as regards the latest EU4 patch. It's been inactive at times before.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 54: The Kind Wars (1550-1569)

The War of the Sorbian Succession between Thrace and Francië had been raging for two years, with a precarious balance of fortunes between Triarian-friendly Thrace and the arch-foes of the Goths, the Franks. Still the Gothic government, now headed by a regency council acting on behalf of young King Pèitre III, refused to intervene. Reluctant to flex its power, the council claimed that it could not intervene unless there was a dire need for support. Thrace, backed by Triarian Romania, was not in such a position, and the council used that as cover for its continuing inaction.

That balance of power between Thrace's and Francië's alliances would not last long; in 1551, a religious uprising in northern Romania, led by one Pé Baffo, besieged the capital, demanding the conversion of the realm away from Orthodoxy and to the Reformed faith. The kingdom refused- Queen Ricciarda of Romania was Western Roman Empress, and would lose the imperial title if she denounced Orthodoxy- but Romania's troops were all engaged in the war against the Franks, leaving Baffo's rebels uncontested in the Italian Peninsula.

By October of 1551, Baffo's rebels had be reinforced with artillery, and the walls of the capital fell to a sustained attack. The capital itself was now in the hands of Reformed zealots, but the Romanian court still resisted the call to convert.

By January of 1552 it was clear to Queen Ricciarda that she could not both suppress the Reformed rebellion in her lands and continue the war against Francië. Seeking terms with the Franks, she concluded a separate peace and called her troops back to Italy, withdrawing Romanian military support from Thrace.

The time had come for Gothia to intervene. Without the figleaf of Romanian involvement enabling them to refuse calls to join the war, the Gothic council of regents finally had to submit to the senate and intervene.

The situation looked promising for the Thracian-Gothic alliance. Thrace, assisted by Iberia, was soundly beating the Eastern Roman Empire in Anatolia, and the Sorbians, having thrown in their lot with Thrace, were gleefully attacking the Franks. The Gothic government was confident that it could make a show of force with minimal interference and make an easily gesture of support.

That effort seemed even easier when in November of 1552 the Eastern Romans separately sued for peace with Thrace, ceding the border territory of Bursa and paying a small indemnity in return for peace. With Rum knocked out of the war, Thrace would surely send its military might north to assist Sorbia and fight the Franks directly, making Gothic involvement an even less risky proposition.

The Goths forgot to consider the Frankish navy. Although Frankish land forces were losing ground to the Thracians, the Frankish navy was still intact, and a much more potent force than anything the Goths could muster. The Goths had begun building an overseas empire, it is true, but they had done little to strengthen ties to it at home- only five Gothic provinces had any considerable ports, of those only three faced the Atlantic directly, and only one of those had any remarkable shipbuilding facilities.

Almost simultaneous with the news of Rum's defeat came the news of the loss of a Gothic army- not by the work of any Frankish troops, but by the attack of the Frankish fleet. Gothic land forces before the war had been nearly evenly split between Mexico and Gothia proper, and the council had not begun shipping Mexican troops to Gothia before intervening in Thrace's fight. Some token efforts had been made to protect shipping lanes, but as soon as the first Mexican reinforcements had arrived near the coast of Armorica, the Frankish navy appeared and completely obliterated the transport fleet.

Frantic efforts to strengthen Gothic harbors and rebuild the navy had not progressed far when Thrace managed to force the Franks to concede defeat on April 12th, 1553. Although the Thracian-Gothic alliance claimed victory, the court was embarrassed and worried by the performance of the Gothic military. The wars in the Yucatan and Mexico had been a slog, but it had been assumed that the terrain and climate of the New World had been major factors in that- but the War of the Sorbian Succession had shown that Gothic troops were performing just as poorly in Europe as well. Clearly, the military needed reforming and rebuilding.

The Gothic military needed to be better prepared, too. Storm clouds were gathering on the horizon. Queen Ricciarda of Romania had died in 1552, succeeded by Caterina III. Queen Caterina had been unable to suppress Pé Baffo's revolt. Romanian troops recalled from the Sorbian war were too bloodied, and the kingdom's treasury too depleted, for the kingdom to continue to resist Baffo's Reformed rebels. In the spring of 1553, Caterina effectively surrendered, inviting Baffo to help the government form a 'council to investigate means of securing religious peace'- with Baffo's involvement and the queen's implicit endorsement, this became a rubber-stamp assembly to approve the kingdom's conversion to the Reformed faith, which was formally approved by Caterina III on April 23rd of that year.

With Romania now Reformed, the imperial regalia was stripped from its queen and passed on to Toutellus, King of Lusitania. Control of the empire had passed to Orthodox Hispania, with Gaul and now Italy largely in grip of the Reformation.

Gothia, meanwhile, began rebuilding, tapping into the resources of its burgeoning colonial empire to fund the construction of new shipyards and ships. The limited number of total ports available to the Goths remained a bottleneck, but aside from that, every effort was being made to rebuild ships and units lost to the fight with the Frankish navy.

It was during this time of development, in 1555, that Pèitre III reached his majority, marking the end of the regency period. His younger sister, Sança, became next in line for the throne as long as Pèitre was a childless bachelor.

King Pèitre, while supportive of the rebuild-and-reform effort, hesitated when the prospect of actually using that new strength reared its head. He was kind-hearted, remarkably sensitive to the human tragedy of war, and reluctant to inflict that upon his realm. Forces at court and in the senate maintained enough pressure to convince him of the need of a massive, rebuilt army “for defense in these dangerous times”, but it is likely that not even Pèitre himself really believed that the military would be used for those purposes.

Militarists in the government were able to overcome the king's pacifist sympathies by drawing his attention overseas. The establishment of the Central American viceroyalty of Figuyèras (named after the fig trees which were successfully cultivated in the region) in 1556 became a pivotal part of this effort; the creation of a third colonial government along the shores of the Caribbean added additional weight to the voice of colonial officials, who, combined with the voices of regular colonists and would-be adventurers, had been and still were calling for further wars of expansion in the New World. The adventurers wanted a chance for glory, the colonists wanted more lands to settle, and the officials wanted more taxable subjects and a frontier further away from their offices.

Many officials in Gothia were equally enthusiastic about further expansion abroad. The early explorations of Falgario and others had revealed the locations of several gold mines in Mexico, which expansionists argued could be used to fund even further growth of the Gothic army and navy.

North of Figuyèras and Jucatanha, Gothic outposts had already been established among Nahuan lands. Most colonial conquests during Pèitre III's reign were centered on this region, in the heart of Mexico.

Technological advances were another factor that swayed King Pèitre into approving further wars of expansion. The earliest conquests in the New World had relied on crude arquebuses and sheer force of numbers to seize the Yucatan Peninsula and other Mayan territories, but by the 1550s advances in metallurgy and the development of colonial provinces meant that the Goths could produce and field light artillery in the Americas.

At the same time, Mesoamerica was convulsing after the collapse of the Totonac Empire, and the old alliances of Nahuan states were falling apart.

Into this fertile mix of native fragmentation and Gothic military might stepped Pèitre Maura, an aspiring conquistador in the mold of Xristian Falgario. With the king's meek approval, Maura set about organizing an army to subjugate Nahuan Mesoamerica for Gothia.

Conquistador Maura's first targets were the allied states of Tlaxcala and the Zapotecs. Tlaxcalan territory sat on one of the finest gold mines in Mexico, and the Zapotecs sat firmly between Jucatanha and the lonesome Gothic outpost of Averalcrotz. With his forces concentrated in Gothic Mexico, Maura planned to rush half his men south towards the Zapotecs before they could post a threat to the Goths' Mesoamerican viceroyalties, while Maura's other soldiers would keep Tlaxcalan forces engaged and separated from the Zapotecs.

After a moment of hestitation, Maura began his war on the 7th of September, 1558.

With artillery and manpower on their side, Maura's soldiers were able to quickly knock the Tlaxcalans out of the war, destroying the natives' main force near Tlaxcala itself just a few weeks after the war began.

The Goths' military advantage was so great that the Zapotec-Tlaxcalan alliance was completely defeated and occupied within a year, by July of 1559.

Neither native realm was wholly annexed, but nearly all their territories save for their core homelands were seized by the Goths, enlarging Gothic Mexico substantially and giving the Goths control of their first Mexican gold mine.

Three years later, Maura's conquests had been consolidated enough to establish another viceroyalty, this time creatively named 'New Gothia'.

With trade within the Gulf of Mexico growing along with Gothia's colonial holdings, a new colony was established 1563 near the mouth of the Gulf, in a region called 'Florida', to protect the Gulf and provide a northern buffer between the Gothic Caribbean and Armorica's growing colonies in North America.

Pèitre Maura grew restless during this period of consolidation and peace, and agitated for another war. The king's weak objections were muffled by loud cries from the continuing coalition of colonists, officials and conquistadors, and so the king reluctantly gave his assent in late 1563.

Maura's goals were twofold: firstly, the adventurer wanted to complete the conquest of the Yucatan Peninsula, which mean eliminating the realm of Cocomes, last independent Mayan outpost bordering the viceroyalty of Jucatanha. The Battle of Sotuta, fought on New Years' Day, 1564, essentially achieved that goal when the last army of the Yucatec Mayans was destroyed.

Maura's other goal was to likewise complete the conquest of Guatemala. To that end, he sent half his forces (and men from the Yucatan after the battle of Sotuta) to fight the southern Mayans of Itza and subjugate their last forts in Central America.

Both the wars in the Yucatan and Guatemala were drawn out due to the siege actions Maura's Goths had to take. The Mayan armies in the north and south were easily and quickly defeated, but Mayan towns, due to their isolated locations and stone fortifications, proved difficult to capture.

It would take another two and a half years of sieges, but Maura eventually was able to take all of Cocomes' and Itza's major towns. Figuyèras no longer bordered any native realms, and Jucatanha now controlled the entire Yucatan Peninsula.

Riding high on his success, just weeks after the Mayan conquest seemed to be finished, Maura sparked a war with the Aztecs of central Mexico.

Although Maura's attack seemed rushed, he had actually timed it quite well- the Aztecs and their allies were consumed by civil unrest, rendering them unable to offer any significant resistance to the invading Goths.

As twenty thousand Gothic troops surrounded Tenochtitlan after a perfunctory battle, the last vestiges of Aztec unity collapsed.

The Aztec Empire's last allies, sensing the end of its supremacy, turned against it.

The Aztec capital was taken on August 19th, 1567, after a prolonged siege. Maura, frustrated by the resistance of the Aztecs in their capital, ordered the city destroyed. A priest, Anaclet de Fermat, pleaded with the conquistador to reconsider, crying that “this city is the Rome of the New World[...] what Goth would ever dream of sacking Rome?” His pleas fell on deaf ears, and soon the rich Aztec architecture of the city was demolished and reused to build a new city on Gothic lines.

Gothia's three Central American colonies were recolored slightly for the sake of identification.

With the collapse of the Aztec Empire, New Gothia gained control of several more gold mines in Mexico, and gave the Goths a second treasure fleet to feed the kingdom's coffers with. On top of that, over five years Maura's wars had completed the subjugation of Central America, giving Gothic colonies there security and a chance to peacefully and develop and grow without a need for Gothic troops to defend the frontier.

It is fortunate that Maura's spree of conquests finished when they did. On November 24th, 1568, while Tenochtitlan was still being reduced to rubble in the New World, leading Conciliarist realms of the Western Roman Empire announced the formation of what became widely known as the Evangelical Union, a league of states intent on securing the supremacy of the Reformation within the Empire.

While many Imperial realms rallied to the cause of the Evangelical Union, the Orthodox emperor, Toutellus of Lusitania, received backing from major realms outside of the empire. Armorica and Ripuaria, nearby realms Gothia had long coveted for itself, had joined the Evangelical Union, while Loegria and Götarike, old friends of the Goths, had joined forces with Francië and Bulgaria to back Emperor Toutellus and the Orthodox League. The Empire was suddenly on the cusp of religious war, and Gothia found itself torn in the middle of it.

:siren: With ardent camps arguing for both camps, the Gothic Sentate eventually took a vote on the matter. :siren:

Debate raged in the Senate over what course of action to take. The king soon forced the divided senators to cast a vote within twenty-four hours: Should Gothia side with the Conciliarists of the Evangelical Union, and fight to make Conciliarism the faith of the Empire and risk losing its longstanding friendship with Loegria and the Geats? Or, should Gothia side with its friends in the Orthodox League and use the war to seize territories from its old rivals in the Evangelical Union?

The known Old World, 1569:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

We'll see. Ofaloaf's probably just busy and/or there's stuff to deal with as regards the latest EU4 patch. It's been inactive at times before.
Yeah, I've been super busy and I feel bad for not updating lately. I got consumed with preparations for and then actually going to PDXCon in May, and then I had less than a month to prepare for a roadtrip through the West Coast states, which I'm a couple weeks into right now. Rural Oregon sure is something.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Such a choice! The enemies of Gothia and the Empire surround us, demanding that we bend to their will, even as our allies within beg us to help them resist tyranny! Conciliarism is heresy of the worst and vilest sort, but who couldn't stomach a bit of heresy if it meant showing those damnable Franks what for? Friends, Gothia's destiny is to lead Rome back to greatness, and the Evangelical Union is our only path there!

Let us show the princes of the Empire that we are their protectors, their champions, and their rightful masters! Let us show the accursed Franks, the perfidious Loegrians and those effete 'Geatish' pretenders that Empire belongs to Gothia alone! When our rule is unchallenged, the problems of heresy will solve themselves.

Join the Union!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hold true to Orthodoxy! Only the true heritage of Rome can lay claim to the Empire!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Join the Union!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Concilliarism is what Gothia chose for Gothia. It is not what Gothia chose for Rome. To impose a religion upon the Imperial institution would betray our own freedom of conscience. Side with the Orthodox League and defend Rome from the traitors that would seek to destroy it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Does joining the Orthodox League require conversion?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Does joining the Orthodox League require conversion?
Nah, any faith can join either side. In vanilla, it's not unknown for the Ottomans to join one league or the other.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Transcend the petty differences of sectarianism and side with our historical allies in the Orthodox League. Who cares about church squabbles, there's gold to be made, and it's a lot harder to do that when your friends can't trust you to back them.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah, I've been super busy and I feel bad for not updating lately. I got consumed with preparations for and then actually going to PDXCon in May, and then I had less than a month to prepare for a roadtrip through the West Coast states, which I'm a couple weeks into right now. Rural Oregon sure is something.

Hey, that's awesome! I did a similar road trip a few months ago, and I loved hiking around the Portland area. I didn't have time for Crater Lake or many of the other parts of Oregon, but I wish I did. There is no shame in neglecting your LP for a while during such a beautiful adventure.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Conciliarist Evangelical Union!

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Side with the Conciliarists!

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Side with the Conciliarists!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Concilliarism is what Gothia chose for Gothia. It is not what Gothia chose for Rome. To impose a religion upon the Imperial institution would betray our own freedom of conscience. Side with the Orthodox League and defend Rome from the traitors that would seek to destroy it.

While this may be true, if the evangelicals are laid low the Orthodox will not take this pleasant an approach. Our rights and privileges in spiritual matters will likely be severely curtailed in order to prevent further religious strife between the princes. We must see this as a defence of the faith, not an imposition on the empire. We must join with our brothers in the Evangelical Union!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A backlash and repression against Concilliarism is unlikely if one of the biggest Concilliarist powers joins the Orthodox cause. That's support that comes with some big strings attached and proves on its own that religious difference isn't necessarily a threat to the empire's stability.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I can't believe this is even a matter of debate! The Gothic state is founded upon the idea that we are true heirs of Rome. So long as Orthodoxy remains the official religion of the Empire, the Imperial crown will remain outside of our rightful hands. We must fight to reclaim our destiny alongside the Evangelical Union!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

A backlash and repression against Concilliarism is unlikely if one of the biggest Concilliarist powers joins the Orthodox cause. That's support that comes with some big strings attached and proves on its own that religious difference isn't necessarily a threat to the empire's stability.

That is a major risk and one which will see us without friends should it prove to be a costly one.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 2, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Gothia should stick by the Orthodox!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not one to let sectarianism affect realpolitik, but I just don't see our orthodox neighbors being so high-minded, not to mention that siding with them effectively amounts to ceding the right to be Emperor every again.

Join the Evangelical Union

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Mogholistan? I can't wait to find out more about them.

Also, going to go with The Orthodox League. We can't let our buddies down!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Concilliarism is all well and good, but surely priority one is to gently caress over the FranksEmpire. Side with the Orthodox League. I'm sure Ofaloaf can find a nice, gothic way to spell Richelieu as well.

E: Huh, I'm misreading things and the Franks are in the Orthodox League. Oh well, still a chance to see them devastated and take all the stuff they want for ourselves while keeping our allies happy.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 2, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

I'm sure Ofaloaf can find a nice, gothic way to spell Richelieu as well.
Well.

A brief jaunt into the etymology of Richlieu doesn't conveniently give back anything easily, so comparing similar names with known etymologies and trying to half-rear end something seems like the best option. The etymology of 'Charlieu', then, can be traced back to the Latin name Carus Locus, and 'Beaulieu' can be traced back to Bellus Locus or Bello Loco, so the -lieu in 'Richlieu' can be worked back into -locus, right? Moreover, Beaulieu is rendered as Bèl Luòc in proper Occitan, so even if some uniquely Gothic thing isn't worked out, -luòc can be used where -lieu is.

Rich- can probably easily be turned into Ric- or Ricc- (fr. Richard becomes oc. Ricard), so smash the bits together and you get Ricaluòc as an alternative to Richelieu.

e: right, Riche-, not Rich-. Uh, add an 'a' to the Gothic form.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 2, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
The way the wars been going in the new world, its time to expand in the old a bit, too. It's in keeping with what's been going on so far.

Go with whatever choice lets you grab some land!

Paint the map! :v:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Join the Evangelical Union

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Can we get a list of all the countries involved on each side?

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013
Join the Evangelical Union.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Orthodox League

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Our destiny lies in the west, not in Rome. If we have to pick a side, then stick with our allies in the Orthodox League,

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

The Patriarchy has had it's day. Its time for a new direction in Europe. Join the Union!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Don't be a scab, join the Union.