Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So is the middle east primarily Jewish these days then?

Man, remember when this was just about us being inexplicably chased across the entire continent by the Huns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's half Gnostic and half Hindu at this point I think.

Zoroastrians and Jews are still clinging on in Turkestan, Mesopotamia and West Persia are under the Orthodox Rum EASTERN ROMAN EMPIRE, and I think the Sunni Ethiopians are fighting their way back in Yemen and Oman

Raserys fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 11, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rodyle posted:

So is the middle east primarily Jewish these days then?

Man, remember when this was just about us being inexplicably chased across the entire continent by the Huns?

I think most of the Turks remained Manichee and Zoroastrian. Also Vlach Crusaders went crazy in the Levant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I think most of the Turks remained Manichee and Zoroastrian. Also Vlach Crusaders went crazy in the Levant.

They're all Gnostics now, aren't they?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Who are the Sorbians, anyway? Are they Germanic people? Slavic? Someone trying to say "Serbian" but they burnt their tongue?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Space Bat posted:

Who are the Sorbians, anyway? Are they Germanic people? Slavic? Someone trying to say "Serbian" but they burnt their tongue?

The TLI5 version is the Sorbs are the West Slavic people living sorta in the area wedged between modern Germany and Poland.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Raserys' posted religion map is still pretty much accurate.

Space Bat posted:

Sorbs are Sorbs. In-game I think it was some Wends/Pomeranians in CK2 who actually managed to form a kingdom out of the Duchy of 'Ostmarca' (meant to be roughly this), which relocalized to 'Sorbia' if any sort of Slav controlled it. So they're West Slavs with a core territory a bit to the west of the core territory of the historic Poles.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Interesting, this really is a unique alternate timeline. Oh and with regards to flagchat, it seems like fascists might benefit from pagan symbolism, especially with how Roman everything currently is, since it could be seen as a "call to the mythical glory days" like with Nazi Germany's idealized "Germania".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Republican revolutionaries are probably, indeed, going all in on, ya know, the Republic, but yeah communism probably dumps it. Fascism you can probably argue either way, although I think it'd be dependent more on who is going fascist than anything. Remember, although largely irrelevant these days, both Imperial Crowns have maintained continuity. If Rum or whoever happens to hold the Western crown were to go fascist, they'd probably be all for restoring Imperium.

I dunno, proper fascist movements generally aren't much concerned with classical, historical legitimacy. They're more likely to make up something on their own that they can control the narrative of. Fascism is all about coming up with schemes to justify the ruling power and dictator over all other perceptions of reality, it's monarchism where people dig up some kind of bizarre historical foundation of legitimacy, trying to court the respect of all other legitimate powers rather than telling them to gently caress off.

And honestly in Rum's case my money'd be on some kind of nationalist revolt trying to scourge the rummen ruling minority.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 69: Awaiting Revolution
1826-1836

As Gothia recovered from its bloody war with Francië, it consolidated what gains it had made in Europe, and attempted to stabilize its empire. While it struggled to keep everything as it was, powerful forces were beginning to drag the country into a new era.

The kingdom’s finances had been direly stretched by the war; the treasury had been running a deficit since the mass hiring of mercenary regiments, and the kingdom was dangerously close to having to take on burdensome loans. On a more positive note, manpower had actually begun to recover before the end of the war, due to Gothia’s increased reliance on mercenaries rather than Gothic conscripts.

The same strain which caused Gothia’s major North American colonies to declare independence had also exacerbated unrest in Gothia’s loyal Andean colonies. They likely did not have the will to declare and follow through on independence, but the Gothic government was in no mood to test them, and abstained from further tariffs and impositions.

Most frustrating of all to the Goths, neither kingdom they had just managed to pry from the Franks’ control seemed at all grateful for the work they had done. Mauretania returned to its pre-union fantasies of creating a belated colonial empire out of Gothic holdings in the New World, and Romania flat-out declared Gothia to be its prime rival in Europe.

The Goths tried turning to other powers, in the hopes of shoring up their position. Norway had broken with Gothia when it had first declared war on Francië, but harbored no long-term ill-will against the Goths. They were actually very receptive to Gothic diplomacy after the war, and happy to rebuild ties, starting with a royal marriage between King Pèitre VI of Gothia and Princess Ingeborg of Norway.

As the diplomatic situation settled down, the Gothic government finally decided it was time to relax wartime provisions and begin disbanding mercenary forces. Disbandments began in November of 1826, but it took until 1828 for the last mercenary units to be fully withdrawn from service in the Gothic military.

A major reason why demobilization and the end of mercenary contracts took so long was because of the profound unrest that struck Gothia in the wake of the war. Along with higher taxes, the Gothic government had imposed strict rules on employment and freedom of movement, aiming to prevent an economic collapse as Gothic manpower was stretched to its limit for the military. Already a cause for discontent during the war, the government's tardiness in repealing these acts after war's end caused a wave of protests and rioting, particularly in northern Gothia.

The unrest was eventually put down by the army over the summer of 1828, but public support for the dissenters' cause still grew. The government's crack down on radical reform and attempted enforcement of economic controls was simply not popular.

Revolt was not limited to Gothia, nor was it even limited to belligerents, in the wake of the Margens' Gothic-Frankish war. Rioters and revolutionaries rose up in many countries, including the imperial realm of Gautunya, as economic disruptions and the ravages of passing armies left their mark. As was the case in Gothia, most of these late-1820s revolutionaries were also bloodily suppressed by loyal military units.

With Gautunya bogged down in its own rebellions, Pèitre VI decided to use the Emperor's distraction to fight one more war in the Empire, against the Republic of Flandès. The Flemish realm still had a tenuous hold on two areas- it controlled the most downriver section of the Left Bank of the Rhine, a stretch of territory King Pèitre still coveted after the bloody experience of the Frankish War, and a scattering of provinces in Scania, a region Norway, Gothia's renewed ally, was keen to acquire.

Flandès, for its part, had let its alliance with Britannia slip, and had no one left to turn to for help. After a brief flurry of communications, Gothia and Norway jointly invaded the republic on May 4th, 1829.

Even after the all the strains of the Frankish War, the Gothic army was still in commendable shape, particularly when compared to the small and fragile units the Flemish fielded.

With Flandès' armies crippled, Flemish resistance to the joint invasion quickly collapsed. Walachra fell after just a little over a month of besieging. Breda fell a few months later. The Norwegians, for their part, overran Flemish Scania just as quickly and with as little struggle as the Goths had along the Rhine.

With its territories occupied, no allies to turn to and its armies obliterated, Flandès was forced to accept defeat. On March 3rd, 1830, the medieval republic was annexed and split between Gothia and Norway. Pèitre had his prized Rhenish border, and Norway had completed its conquest of the Scandinavian mainland.

After both countries had gotten what they wanted out of the Flemish territories, however, the Gothic-Norwegian alliance rapidly deteriorated, paralleled by the deterioration of the marriage between King Pèitre and his wife, Norwegian-born Queen Ingeborg. Both relationships reached their nadir in the summer of 1831, when Pèitre divorced Ingeborg in a fury and the Norwegians formally severed their alliance with Gothia.

Aside from the rise and fall of the Norwegian alliance, the early 1830s were a relatively peaceful time for Gothia. For other regions, however, it was as tumultuous a time as any.

In North America, the Pequot had attacked the new-independent Armorican realms, annexing Canada entirely and forcing the Union of the North to cede some of its frontier territories. Then, sensing the weakness of the Armorican republics, the Pequot declared war on Terranova, which had just allied the Union of the North, dragging the Union back into war against the Pequot. Missorí, alarmed by this new wave of Pequot expansionism, declared war on them in the summer of 1835. War raged across the Atlantic seaboard and Appalachians.

To the west, Anáhuac had just completed its own war against Kaigai, Japan's sole colony in the Americas. The Japanese colony had not been wholly annexed, but the southernmost quarter of its territories had been seized.

On the other side of the Pacific, the realm of Dazhou had managed to conquer or subjugate most of China proper under its rule. The Manchus, the old Timurids of Mogholistan, the Shan petty kings of Mong Yang, the warlords of Shun- all these realms paid tribute to Dazhou and recognized its mandate to rule. The last holdout was the realm of Yue, in southern China. Allied to Pegu, it had repeatedly and steadfastly refused to recognize Dazhou as suzerain.

Emperor Houwei of Dazhou had had enough of Yue's intransigence by 1834, and commenced an invasion to force it to accept Dazhou hegemony- and failed, miserably. That sign of weakness prompted Korea to invade Manchuria in the spring of 1835.

It also caused Japan, smarting from its defeat in the Americas, to take a chance and see if it could turn China into another avenue for colonial expansion and an assertion of Japanese hegemony. As 1835 turned to 1836, with Yue and Pegu fighting in the south, Korea invading Manchuria and Japan invading from Siberia and a landing in the Shandong Peninsula, the future of Dazhou China was in serious jeopardy.

Not every corner of the globe was experiencing so much change so violently. In some regions, change came in far more subtle forms.

In Africa, two former European states began acclimating to their new territories. Both Armorica and Lusitania had lost their original territories through strings of defeats in Europe. As a result, both had been left as rump states in their former colonial holdings. Armorica had been left with a strip of outposts in Cameroon and Guinea, and Lusitania's government ended up exiled to Bona Spes.

Lusitania's African capital sat in the only major colonial region it still controlled; gradually, the name of the province became a shorthand way of referring to the exiled formerly-Hispanian kingdom, and by the 1830s the country was colloquially known by the provincial name of 'Bonasperantia'- the Vulgar tongue spoken in Lusitania varied from classical Latin at points- to residents and foreigners alike. By the same process, Armorica-in-Africa informally transformed into 'Guinea'.

Like these African states' quiet transformations, Europe itself was changing in a subtle manner few at the time were fully aware of.

In late 1835, Pèitre VI was invited to Britannia as part of a ceremony commemorating the re-subjugation of Iwerddon by the British. He was the first monarch to set foot in Britain since the demise of the Väse dynasty in the 1775, 60 years earlier, and the British intended to both wow the king and quietly remind him of their own strength, and they intended to do it from the moment he landed in Britain.

The landing itself was full of the sort of pomp and ceremony that the king had become used to as a monarch, but he became quite confused when he was directed to a platform and told to wait for his carriage to the capital there.

After a few moments of quiet, he first heard it- a hissing, thudding noise, punctuated by metallic shrieking. Then, over the icy treetops, a little storm cloud appeared, a low, dark cloud which followed that noise as it grew closer and closer. King Pèitre looked back at his British guides- none seem at all concerned by the chaos brewing on the horizon. Then, he looked back at the road, and finally saw it.

A new age was coming, an age of steam and an age of change. Gazing upon the puffing machine rolling down the rails, King Pèitre VI of the Goths suddenly felt impossibly old.

World map, January 1st, 1836

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 18, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
You can't divorce the Queen! You will regret this!

Also that Denmark :negative:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Look at that Avallonia though! :eyepop:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Ethiopa is not going gently into that good night, holy poo poo.

And the tide recedes.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bulgaria status: still grand, still olde.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Whew. So ends the tale of AU France, for now.

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016
Well... at least we achieved our natural borders

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Has the langue d'oïl (a.k.a. French and similar) ever manage to exist in this universe, I wonder?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

Has the langue d'oïl (a.k.a. French and similar) ever manage to exist in this universe, I wonder?

Well, arguably yes. Admittedly Gautés is more a Langue d'Oc - Occitanian/Southern "French" - than a Langue d'Oïl - Northern French - but I might just misremember.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I feel like we've gotten this royal affair event on at least every other ruler

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Everybody turns into a horndog at the Gothic court.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
At least we still have meatballs.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
I feel like those two or three Gothic colonies in/near Florida should probably get merged in the conversion.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So 1836 is the EUIV end date?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Goths HORNY

BenRGamer posted:

Typically it ends on January 2nd, 1821, but I presume Ofaloaf extended it to '36 so they could go straight into Vicky 2 (Which starts on Jan 1st 1836) rather than having to account for the intervening years, either with non-gameplay narrative or by going through March of the Eagles, which would require its own mod conversion enterprise that nobody can be faulted for wishing to avoid because that's a huge amount of work for a very short period of time.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, the Al-Andalus LP is just getting to the end of MotE and is going to need some votes to determine what happened outside of Europe.

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016

Negrostrike posted:

Yes, it's the Devils Tongue.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716022&pagenumber=80#post461296690

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Luhood posted:

Well, arguably yes. Admittedly Gautés is more a Langue d'Oc - Occitanian/Southern "French" - than a Langue d'Oïl - Northern French - but I might just misremember.
Gautés is very much meant to be an Oc language. Most of the names in Gothic country files, plus the generic culture namelists in EU4 and back in CK2, come from a collection of medieval attestions of Occitan and Catalan names (from here), just so they sound a little garbled and archaic compared to actual Occitan and Catalan. There's couple names taken from Old French instead of Occitan/Catalan- the one I can remember off the top of my head is that the Gautés version of "John" is Jehan, which is Old French, rather than Occitan/Catalan Joan, but for the most part it's Occitan/Catalan.

On top of that, there's also a few spelling conventions I meant to implement to further Gothicize things and make them more archaic, but I got lazy and let that slide after a while. Gautés' "Henry" is Ainric, because I wanted to use a Gothic 'ai' for certain 'e' sounds (the historical Gothic name Aírmanareiks is rendered Ermanaricus in Latin, but I wanted a Gothic Romance language to save that starting 'Ai' just to make things look more Goth-y), and "Peter" is Pèitre rather than Actual Occitan Pèire just to make it sound a little closer to Petrus.

Toponyms in Europe are a mix of modern Occitan, Medieval Occitan and some Merovingian Latin forms I found on French Wikipedia. Ship names are a mix of modern Occitan (there's a few nice English-Occitan translators online) and medieval Occitan I found here, which I had to translate from French into English to understand but whatever.

So, yeah, it's meant to be old Oc, not Oïl.

BenRGamer posted:

Ms Adequate posted:

Typically it ends on January 2nd, 1821, but I presume Ofaloaf extended it to '36 so they could go straight into Vicky 2 (Which starts on Jan 1st 1836) rather than having to account for the intervening years, either with non-gameplay narrative or by going through March of the Eagles, which would require its own mod conversion enterprise that nobody can be faulted for wishing to avoid because that's a huge amount of work for a very short period of time.
Yeah I just wanted to skip over MotE, so the end date was moved from 1821 to 1836. I'm trying to update the mod (I've had the game frozen at patch 1.22.2 for a while) and I'll probably move the end date back to 1821 for the release version, but who knows when that work'll be done, I'm flying out Wednesday for Stockholm and PDXCON and probably won't mod as much then.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 14, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Btw, since Kaitai came up again, iirc, was that the toponym that was just made up to sound Japanese-like? Because I have a possible suggestion that might make some more in world sense.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
If you want localizations for Norway I can assist

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Btw, since Kaitai came up again, iirc, was that the toponym that was just made up to sound Japanese-like? Because I have a possible suggestion that might make some more in world sense.

Kaigai just means overseas, literally.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rubix Squid posted:

That makes a lot of sense and probably better than my idea of "Shinkaido" (新界道) which would literally literally means "New World circuit/province"

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 17, 2018

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rubix Squid posted:

So in our case, it'd translate to something like 'Outremer'?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I'm ready for some kind of "state of the world" type update. What's going on in the Middle East and Africa? I thought the update on China was really good. Who's running things in India?

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I'm ready for some kind of "state of the world" type update.

Ditto

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A "state of the state" update is going to have to wait a few weeks, because I'm on the pdxcon trip now and Extremely Cleverly didn't bring new screenshots or a copy of any recent saves so that I could make new screenshots. I'm trying to write something more about the Pequot based solely on memory, but we'll see if that turns out to be a hot mess or not.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

A "state of the state" update is going to have to wait a few weeks, because I'm on the pdxcon trip now and Extremely Cleverly didn't bring new screenshots or a copy of any recent saves so that I could make new screenshots. I'm trying to write something more about the Pequot based solely on memory, but we'll see if that turns out to be a hot mess or not.

Let us know how Victoria III looks. :v:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Let us know how Victoria III looks. :v:

We already know, it looks like Stellaris with blimps.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

WilliamAnderson posted:

We already know, it looks like Stellaris with blimps.

drat, was hoping for Hearts of Iron in sepia.

EDIT: Well, at least we can go father back for our LP's with Imperator: Rome I guess. :shrug:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 19, 2018

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm going to mod Imperator into a functioning Victoria 3 and then mod that for GothLP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm going to mod Imperator into a functioning Victoria 3 and then mod that for GothLP.

:swoon: