Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Also, if anyone's wondering, the group in control of Sicily is the Vandals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Aww. There goes something interesting. I'm really sad that this isn't going completely off the rails history wise, though killing off the franks is sure to make things interesting. Who are those two groups in southern Britain?

Preid
May 22, 2014

NewMars posted:

Aww. There goes something interesting. I'm really sad that this isn't going completely off the rails history wise, though killing off the franks is sure to make things interesting. Who are those two groups in southern Britain?

Death of the Magyars in their crib could be a big change in the long run, seeing as a world without the guiding light of Hungry is utterly impossible to imagine.

Also, I've not played any TW games since Rome 1, do they still put a little map marker down for heroic victory's along with the date and combatants?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Preid posted:

Death of the Magyars in their crib could be a big change in the long run, seeing as a world without the guiding light of Hungry is utterly impossible to imagine.

Also, I've not played any TW games since Rome 1, do they still put a little map marker down for heroic victory's along with the date and combatants?

That actually reminds me, there's no bulgaria in attila for some reason but a big empty spot where they should be. Pretty much the only empty space on the map, in fact. Does... does this mean that there is no great old bulgaria? Did it perhaps ascend to a better, more bulgarian game? (such as steppe wolfe)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah even so soon it's pretty obvious that the world is going to look very different from the normal CK2 start.

Missing out on Egyptian Visigoths is just a drat shame though.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Neruz posted:

Yeah even so soon it's pretty obvious that the world is going to look very different from the normal CK2 start.

Missing out on Egyptian Visigoths is just a drat shame though.

What would we even have called them? The Visithoths? :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NewMars posted:

What would we even have called them? The Visithoths? :v:

Visigyptians

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Preid posted:

I haven't noticed a historical marker, unfortunately. The Ostrogothic victory will just have to live on in our hearts.

NewMars posted:

The red in southern Britain is, well, Britain. They're the Romano-British from Barbarian Invasion, basically. The blue splotch in the Southeast are the Jutes.

I'm kind of hoping the Jutes get kicked out by Britain. If the British actually hold a lot of ground at game's end, it'd be very tempting to make Britain dominated by Brithenig rather than Welsh.

NewMars posted:

That actually reminds me, there's no bulgaria in attila for some reason but a big empty spot where they should be. Pretty much the only empty space on the map, in fact. Does... does this mean that there is no great old bulgaria? Did it perhaps ascend to a better, more bulgarian game? (such as steppe wolfe)
The Bulgars began to appear moreso after Attila's death, historically. Depending on how the game shapes up, where the Huns are located at game's end, what's going on north of the Black Sea, etc., I may include Bulgars in the CK2 conversion anyways. Possibly put it up to a vote, I dunno.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Ofaloaf posted:

The Bulgars began to appear moreso after Attila's death, historically. Depending on how the game shapes up, where the Huns are located at game's end, what's going on north of the Black Sea, etc., I may include Bulgars in the CK2 conversion anyways. Possibly put it up to a vote, I dunno.

Do you really need a vote to know that goons require Old Great Bulgaria in CK2?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah, that's just the 'Western Roman Separatists' civil war/rebel faction. They split off from the WRE and then conquered most of Italy. I think they've even resettled a few razed provinces.

How does this work? Do they eventually take over the "real" WRE title, form their own breakaway state (seems like they could have done this already), or will there eventually be a "South Central Roman Empire" and a "Really Western Roman Empire"?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm kind of hoping the Jutes get kicked out by Britain. If the British actually hold a lot of ground at game's end, it'd be very tempting to make Britain dominated by Brithenig rather than Welsh.

This has been my dream since CK2 first came out. I actually made a Brithenig culture and attempted to restore Britain, but I blobbed too hard and wound up becoming Neo-Roman. It's hard not to in the non-1066 starts.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

GunnerJ posted:

How does this work? Do they eventually take over the "real" WRE title, form their own breakaway state (seems like they could have done this already), or will there eventually be a "South Central Roman Empire" and a "Really Western Roman Empire"?

No, they stupidly remain Separatists forever. In my current Saxon campaign the actual WRE is long gone and the Western Roman Separatists are the 8th most powerful faction. This happens all over. There are African Separatists but no Africa, and Caucasian Separatists who separated from god knows what.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

They just stay separatists. If they and Italia both survive to game's end, I'll probably turn Separatist-held Italy into a 'Kingdom of Romania-no-not-that-one' or something. If Italia-in-Tarentum is gone, then it's a coin toss as to whether the Separatists become Romania or Italy, probably.

I'm kind of hoping they or Italia survive. I've already whipped up Vulgar Italo-Latin, Gallo-Latin, Hispano-Latin, Britto-Latin/Brithenig and African-Latin cultures in anticipation of any Roman revolters surviving, and it'd be nice if at least one of those cultures actually was useful for the CK2 conversion.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
Wouldn't a Roman Separatist or Italia faction in Italy just be regular Latin? Or maybe straight Italian.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Gnooble posted:

Wouldn't a Roman Separatist or Italia faction in Italy just be regular Latin? Or maybe straight Italian.
Italian's got Lombard and other Germanic influences in it, and CK2 'Roman' is a weird mishmash of Classical Latin and English shorthand ('Trajan' as opposed to Traianus or Trajanus, fr'ex) anyways, so I wouldn't want to go with that. Latin was starting to get more Romance-y during the twilight of the Roman Empire anywho, and I figure that the culture and language would change at least a bit by the Middle Ages.

e: As it's currently shaped up, it's mostly just Latin names with classic '-us' and '-ius' endings changed to Italian-like '-o' and '-io'. Not that hard to make.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 2, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

The red in southern Britain is, well, Britain. They're the Romano-British from Barbarian Invasion, basically. The blue splotch in the Southeast are the Jutes.

Thanks for this website BTW.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

So when does TW Atilla end? Depending on how soon, you're going to have a LOT of work for your conversion.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Alikchi posted:

So when does TW Atilla end? Depending on how soon, you're going to have a LOT of work for your conversion.

My Google-Fu indicates an end date of 465(Ctrl-F "years"). The "Charlemagne" start date of CK2 is in 769, giving us a gap of some 300 years.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

You can play much further than 465. I'm probably going to aim for 469 though, just to have a clean 300 years to CK2.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ofaloaf posted:

You can play much further than 465. I'm probably going to aim for 469 though, just to have a clean 300 years to CK2.
Alternatively, ignore the intervening 300 years and make your own version of The New Chronology.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

CK2, extended timeline :shepicide:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I can't get over how loving ugly the map looks in this game. Why on earth would you have the counters crossing over the names? Why would you focus more on it looking ~authentic~ than actually legible?

Also how does liberation work? Do they start as our allies, puppets or just completely free?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also how does liberation work? Do they start as our allies, puppets or just completely free?

They're allies.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I have to ask, why is the faction symbol for the Ostrogoths a women's bow brooch? I'm assuming that even with the lack of physical resources relating to national/tribal symbols, CA could've come up with something more interesting to represent them with. At least the Visigoths' could be seen on some representations of their armor (perhaps an early interpretation of the later Norse raven banners).

Hell, if you wanted to give the Saxons a more accurate symbol, the Saxon Steed would've worked better than crossed seaxes, as it was a common symbol among the Saxons since the mid-5th century AD, and can be seen on much of their architecture at the time. Both the pre-Christian pagan banner of Old Saxony (black horse on yellow) and the current Christianized banner (white horse on red) are representations of this. Using a representation of the Irminsul, a la CK2, would have worked as well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A few pages late, but I think this is an excellent idea for a mega-LP, back when Attila first came out I had thoughts about doing something similar myself, though without the LP part.
I'm probably gonna go back and attempt to do that now that you have reminded me of this.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

PBJ posted:

So I have to ask, why is the faction symbol for the Ostrogoths a women's bow brooch? I'm assuming that even with the lack of physical resources relating to national/tribal symbols, CA could've come up with something more interesting to represent them with. At least the Visigoths' could be seen on some representations of their armor (perhaps an early interpretation of the later Norse raven banners).
I've done a little very-preliminary work on the CK2 section, and yeah, I've avoided using the Ostrogoth's brooch-symbol thing because it makes very little sense. My first though was just to make something derivative of the Ostrogoth's symbol in Barbarian Invasion:

but a black cross on a gold field is a rather dull thing for a kingdom, so that'll still probably be changed later on.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
One of the mods for the game replaces a bunch of faction symbols. That's the exact one he used for the Ostrogoths.

A bunch of them a pretty good, like the Romans and Scandinavians, and then there's some weird ones like the Saxons using a Wessex dragon.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I like his Franks one because it makes them a proper blue, but the Saxons just look too much like Santa Claus with his bright red color scheme.

Yeah.

CA is just really drat lazy when it comes to faction emblems.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I've done a little very-preliminary work on the CK2 section, and yeah, I've avoided using the Ostrogoth's brooch-symbol thing because it makes very little sense. My first though was just to make something derivative of the Ostrogoth's symbol in Barbarian Invasion:

but a black cross on a gold field is a rather dull thing for a kingdom, so that'll still probably be changed later on.
One thing to consider is that the identity of a group can change dramatically over the years. Having settled in the most populous region of Europe likely means the Ostrogoths are going to become assimilated over time, just like the Franks and Burgundians. With the Visigoths destroyed, I could see the Ostrogoths just becoming the Goths to both their new subjects and to other peoples, especially since the people they're going to be interacting with the most now would only potentially have heard of the distinction very very recently, which would probably mean the Ostrogoths themselves would start identifying as just Goths as they become more assimilated into the local culture. Eventually, the country could end up just being called something like Gotie, by the time the local Latin population was done with it. The symbols of this country could diverge just as much as from their origins as the name of the people itself.

That said, if you want to maintain some link to their past as the Ostrogoths of old, and make a more interesting flag, perhaps the sun as a symbol would work? Fits with Arianism not being down with trinitarianism, since the sun is singular, and ties back to the origin of the name of the Ostrogoths. I made a very quick mockup, because why not.

It even follows tincture rules! :v:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One thing to consider is that the identity of a group can change dramatically over the years. Having settled in the most populous region of Europe likely means the Ostrogoths are going to become assimilated over time, just like the Franks and Burgundians. With the Visigoths destroyed, I could see the Ostrogoths just becoming the Goths to both their new subjects and to other peoples, especially since the people they're going to be interacting with the most now would only potentially have heard of the distinction very very recently, which would probably mean the Ostrogoths themselves would start identifying as just Goths as they become more assimilated into the local culture. Eventually, the country could end up just being called something like Gotie, by the time the local Latin population was done with it. The symbols of this country could diverge just as much as from their origins as the name of the people itself.

That said, if you want to maintain some link to their past as the Ostrogoths of old, and make a more interesting flag, perhaps the sun as a symbol would work? Fits with Arianism not being down with trinitarianism, since the sun is singular, and ties back to the origin of the name of the Ostrogoths. I made a very quick mockup, because why not.

It even follows tincture rules! :v:

The noble symbol of the Ostrogoths: a grapefruit

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
You could always use this little shrugging bird.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Freudian posted:

It looks more like an orange to me.
...and thus, the seeds of the next civil war were planted.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Freudian posted:

The House of Grapefruit.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I think, three gold Fleur-de-Lis, on a blue field.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

YF-23 posted:

I think, three gold Fleur-de-Lis, on a blue field.

:fuckoff:

No Franks allowed.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

:fuckoff:

No Franks allowed.

Quite right. We need a tricolor in the colors of the sky, purity and blood.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Quite right. We need a tricolor in the colors of the sky, purity and blood.

If I remember my antiquity correctly, that would be bronze for the sky, blue for clear water, and green for blood?

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I actually tried my own hand at a Gothic symbol. Sorry for such an early implementation of flagchat.

And one with A Buttery Pastry's version:

All together now!

Ehhhh

PBJ fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 4, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

PBJ posted:

All together now!

I actually like this one. (Though I imagine you tried to figure out a way to not have the black line around the bird.)

vv Yeah, that's what I was expecting. vv

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I actually like this one. (Though I imagine you tried to figure out a way to not have the black line around the bird.)

Actually, I did that myself, as the raven was difficult to see without it. This is the unedited version: