Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ofaloaf posted:

Are the hyperlinks inserted in the middle of the text distracting at all? I sperged out a bit about placenames, so I've been worried about people not recognizing toponyms and getting confused about where things are happening.

No, they're great, please keep doing this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Drone posted:

No, they're great, please keep doing this!

Agreed, I have no idea what a Tolosa or a Lugdunum is.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
Hyperlinked location names are super neat. I really dig the Arian faith mechanics with the race to recapture Rome eventually. I am curious about what exactly will happen as MA decreases though. What kind of heresies are included for Arianism?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I notice a distinct lack of GyroSlavic heraldry around here :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

mythomanic posted:

What kind of heresies are included for Arianism?

Orthodoxy and Catholicism. :colbert:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The King and his wife are still young - hell, they've only had one kid so far - so succession is not an issue yet except in the case of accident. Long live princess Glorja!

Ofaloaf posted:

Are the hyperlinks inserted in the middle of the text distracting at all? I sperged out a bit about placenames, so I've been worried about people not recognizing toponyms and getting confused about where things are happening.

You probably don't need to put them there for places like Toulouse/Tolosa, but for names which are wildly different they are Good and Cool.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ofaloaf posted:

Following that move, Thiudareiks declared a new sigil for the House of Triarius, replacing the family's old three blue azure stags on a white argent field with a new design, four black sable hawks of fury on alternating gold Or and red gules quarters.
Please be more mindful in the future.

YF-23 posted:

You probably don't need to put them there for places like Toulouse/Tolosa, but for names which are wildly different they are Good and Cool.

Smoky Bandana posted:

Agreed, I have no idea what a Tolosa or a Lugdunum is.
:v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

YF-23 posted:

The King and his wife are still young - hell, they've only had one kid so far - so succession is not an issue yet except in the case of accident. Long live princess Glorja!

Agnatic-only succession. :( King Thiudareiks needs a son (or brother... do we actually have any more male members of the dynasty?)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
He needs to plant seeds in more than a single field. Better a legitimized bastard than no son at all.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Drone posted:

Agnatic-only succession. :( King Thiudareiks needs a son (or brother... do we actually have any more male members of the dynasty?)

My point is until the King sires a half dozen daughters without a son there's no real reason to worry.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The seduction focus can reliably get rid of any succession problems (except for gavelkind obviously).

It is a bit strange that Jerusalem isn't one of Arianism's holy sites.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There is one simple cure to the matter of succession: get the Orthodox poison womb to convert to Arianism. This is a sign from heaven.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Shameful lack of Rome players in this thread.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Shameful lack of Rome players in this thread.

Or a shameful lack of Asterix readers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

If there's a Rome 2 they should get Uderzo to do the character portraits

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please be more mindful in the future.
But that's Frankish!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ofaloaf posted:

But that's Frankish!
It's proper English nomenclature is what it is.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
How did you get sineigskalks or Maximiien?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Merdifex posted:

How did you get sineigskalks or Maximiien?
I looked up 'seneschal' on Wikipedia, which listed 'sineigs' as the Gothic equivalent to sene-/sini-. That article says the latter half of the title, scalc, means 'servant', so I looked up the Gothic form of 'servant' and slammed that poo poo on the end.

"Maximiien" is taken straight from the 9th-century Old French Canticle of Saint Eulalia, because even though there's no Franks in Gaul, I still used a few patterns from Old French in making the Gallic names, since I figured no one would ever catch on to that unless I flat out admitted it like I'm doing right now. "Eufemïen" is attested from an 11th-century French work, so I figured a good quick-and-dirty rule would be to take Latin names ending in -ianus, like Maximianus, Euphemianus, Aurelianus, etc., and swap that poo poo out for either -iien or -ïen. 'Carles' and 'Theophiles' are attested from the 12th century, and those two names in proper Latin are 'Carolus' and 'Theophilus', respectively, so it seemed that swapping the Latin -us ending for -es would also be a suitable quick-and-dirty way of making Gallic names distinct from proper Latin.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ofaloaf posted:

"Maximiien" is taken straight from the 9th-century Old French Canticle of Saint Eulalia, because even though there's no Franks in Gaul, I still used a few patterns from Old French in making the Gallic names, since I figured no one would ever catch on to that unless I flat out admitted it like I'm doing right now.

Got ya mate. We caught ya in the act. You fell into the trap. Signed confession. Now go straight to fake linguistics jail.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

poo poo, I've been bamboozled. I should've known that attempting to venture outside basic vulgar latin characteristics and apply shifts present in Old French outside of Frankish circles was in clear violation of linguistics, phonology and all things sensible. I should've known. :ohdear:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I've heard enough.

Hand him over to the Esperantos. :colbert:

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wow, unexpected ending to the LP. Still, justice has to be done. rip in peace

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think we need to kidnapfind some pre-verbal children and do nothing but scream fake alt-gothic at them for years until the kids develop a grammar for us to use in this lp

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That's why most of the placenames are just reverted to Latin in the scenario atm. Trying to come up with well-done Germanic Gothic forms of all these little holdings in Gaul was a lot harder than just discovering that drat well nearly every French wikipedia article about a place in France has a section labelled "Toponymie" which rattles off a bunch of attested historical forms of a town's name, usually dating back to Roman times, and it was much easier to just pick out the forms dating to the later Imperial period or the Merovingians' time.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Rated one, cancelled pre-order.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The level of betrayal I felt when Ofaloaf revealed his behind-the-scenes fake linguistics tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. He tore away my ability to respect anything, and he tore away my ability to feel human.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ofaloaf posted:

That's why most of the placenames are just reverted to Latin in the scenario atm.

I'm sure you could just outsource these to certain LP readers of sufficient sperg-level.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lets Wear Black: A Graduate Linguistics Project

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 18: Too much of a good thing

King Thiudareiks II, despite many attempts, had not yet managed to sire an heir after six years of rule and five years of (otherwise happy) marriage. Frustration was beginning to grow at court, and the king needed to find a way to divert some of the pressures gradually pressing down on him from discontented vassals and the looming threat of the Amaling claimant to the throne off in Belgica.

And in 775 he found exactly that. A rebellion in Normandy had sapped the Norse realm's manpower, prompting the Duke of Andecavia, a Gothic vassal, to proclaim a holy war against those pagan lands. Not wanting his vassals to grow more powerful at his expense, and not wanting to seem lacking in piety, King Thiudareiks shortly followed the duke in proclaiming a kingdom-wide war against pagan Normandy.

A war! Excitement wasn't just limited to the court- not long after the conflict began, Queen Sofia was pregnant once more.

With the Gothic invasion of their lands, the Norse had hastily sued for peace with the rebels in northern Normandy, ceding Aquilonia to Gallic rebels. The Norse army had nonetheless been soundly thrashed by the Gauls, leaving them with little ability to resist the Gothic onslaught. Venetis was the first to fall, seized by Gothic troops on New Year's Eve of 775, while the Norman's last stronghold, Pontevetus, fell just three months later.

Alsting had seemed like a serious threat to the realm, but when cracks appeared in his domain, his personal authority had not been enough to prevent the collapse of his regime.

Compounding the Goths' royal victory, meanwhile, was one dynastic victory.

Thiudareiks finally had sired an heir. Although originally the name 'Paitrus'- Peter- was first suggested for the boy, the king declared it his royal and dynastic perogative to name him Thiudareiks, after himself.

Peace and contentment at last reigned in Gothia, but trouble brewed elsewhere.

The Zoroastrians, long resigned to merely holding sway in Persia's sphere after suffering significant loses to the Arab conquests of the 7th century, had at last resolved to reassert themselves and their primacy, not just within Persia but in other lands as well. Their first target was Syria, the Caliphate's northernmost region. While Christians generally did not object to seeing heathens fight heathens, the prospect of a revitalized Sassanid Persia was a disconcerting one.

King Thiudareiks had other things on his mind, anyways.

Aside from his ongoing struggle to ensure his dynasty's longevity, of course. Thiudareiks' spies had reparted that te Amaling pretender to the crown of Gothia, still on the throne in Belgica, still likely had a larger army at his call than King Thiudareiks did.

It wasn't a large margin of difference, allegedly, but it was still an uncomfortable fact for a king who had been spending most of most his time trying to simply secure the allegience of his realm and the future of his family. If there was a war between Belgica and Gothia, it would be a close-run thing.

The solution to these war concerns was, of course, a war.

Marcus Donnianus Marco Donniano, the Duke of Segusio, ruled a small domain that bordered the capital of Gothia itself. Duke Marco had no major allies, and his army was small and weak. Half of his domain, the county of Sapaudia- Savaudia in the vulgar Italo-Latin spoken by the Duke's court- was inside the notional de jure extent of Gothia, and indeed had been briefly under the direct control of the Amalings back in the 5th century. The addition of Sapaudia to the realm would give Gothia more men and more gold to throw at Belgica, if it ever came to war. King Thiudareiks pondered the move, and finally gave the order to "reclaim" the province in mid-778.

Gothic troops handily defeated the Segusians, and with little further armed resistance, Duke Marco surrendered the contested province to the Kingdom of Gothia. In celebration, Thiudareiks had his second daughter, born just as Segusio was defeated, christened 'Biktorja'- Victoria.

This was not the only victory that occured then- to the east, the Zoroastrian's war against the Umayyad Caliphate came to a surprising end. The Arabs surrendered, ceding Syria not to the Sassanids directly, but to the Immortals, the holy warriors of the Zoroastrian faith.

Closer to home, King Thiudareiks' concerns about strengthening the realm's armies against both internal and external threats appeared well-founded, as Gallic peasants in the Pagus Vinocinensis erupted in rebellion, claiming that Thiudareiks was not their true liege.

To a certain extent, this was actually true. While Thiudareiks was legitimately crowned the King of Gothia, the province of Vindocinensis belonged to the de jure kingdom of Armorica, which was still considered a separate realm from Gothia proper. The peasant's revolt was easily put down, but the idea of claiming the crown of Armorica now lurked in Thiudareiks' mind as a possible way to prevent further instability in the north.

After some considerable planning, Thiudareiks went forward with the plan, and in 782 traveled north to Namnetia to be hailed King of Armorica by an assembly of local notables.

King Thiudareiks celebrated mightily, and shortly after the crowning he was pleased to find out his wife was pregnant once more.

And, in the spring of 783, she gave birth...

...to a health boy named Reikahardus.

In joyous triumph, the king at last called all lords of Gothia and Armorica together for a grand tournament, to commemorate the Triarius dynasty and the unity of the realm.

And while the realm celebrated, a quiet question lurked in the back of every courtier's mind...

How long would Gothia stay united?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Nice to see Sassanid Persia rising back up to power. :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Once again our fool king shows his true colors. Now, I'll be honest. My family has held lands in Divio for generations. I have hardly ever travelled into this new "kingdom" of Armorica, besides the occasional trip up to Aurelianum. But it seems to me that the kingdom of Gothia, the kingdom of the Goths, should be enough for any king. Perhaps this king who lays with heretics doesn't understand this. It shouldn't be that surprising... it wasn't House Triarius that forged the Kingdom of the Goths.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
Huh, I wonder how the Immortals got that title, and not the king of Persia.

Like I didn't even know Holy Orders could win crusades.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Thanatz posted:

Huh, I wonder how the Immortals got that title, and not the king of Persia.

If no one has claims on the title, it goes to the person who captured the most. In this case, the Immortals were the ones who wrecked Syria.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Thanatz posted:

Really? I've seen the Teutonic Order take over all of Hungary when playing from a CM or Old Gods start date a couple of times now. The TO more than any other holy order seems to go for that sort of thing, but it definitely happens.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
A zoroastrian crusader state is wonderful.

fake edit: yeah for the last half-dozen patches or more (?), the various Catholic holy orders are by far the most common winners of crusades. I don't think I've ever seen a non-Catholic holy order get it, but it doesn't surprise me.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

GSD posted:

fake edit: yeah for the last half-dozen patches or more (?), the various Catholic holy orders are by far the most common winners of crusades. I don't think I've ever seen a non-Catholic holy order get it, but it doesn't surprise me.

That would explain why I had never seen it. I haven't had a computer that could play CK2 since before Rajas of India came out.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
An independent Immortal state, the horrors of Gavelkind pending, this world gets better and better... :allears:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

GSD posted:

I've seen the AI reform the Slavic faith and the Tengri faith before. The last one led to the High Church, of all things, getting Ruthenia after a Great Holy War.

I've also seen the Warriors of Perun take Bulgaria. It happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Can we see the cultural and religious state of the parts of the world that aren't Europe? Or, you know, where things are different enough from IOTL to justify that,