Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

I've seen the AI reform the Slavic faith and the Tengri faith before. The last one led to the High Church, of all things, getting Ruthenia after a Great Holy War.

I've also seen the Warriors of Perun take Bulgaria. It happens.

The Tengri reformation used to be really common before the Magyars were nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Thanatz posted:

Huh, I wonder how the Immortals got that title, and not the king of Persia.

Like I didn't even know Holy Orders could win crusades.

I once saw the Knights Templar control basically all of Anatolia. The title in a crusade is given to whoever has the highest warscore contribution, and holy orders are obviously really good at beefing up warscore.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Wasn't even them, the Ilkhanate did it. The Abbasid blob was so powerful that the Ilkhanate ended up doing the Russian thing the Golden Horde normaly does and in doing so reformed the Tengri faith.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Did the Norse reformation use to be easier for the AI? Before I used to only see Svithjod form the Fylkirate in the 769 start, and even more commonly by the 867 start where Ragnarr Lothbrok himself would commonly form the Fylkirate.

Conversely, never seen the Magyars reform even when they were horribly overpowered (still kind of are, took over the Khazars current game)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Immortal Syria, best Syria.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

All hail the THE REALM OF THE IMMORTALS *sickass guitar rift plays in the background*

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I mean it's obviously early days but I think I speak for all of us when I cross my fingers and hope that the Sassanids and the Arabs put aside their differences and realise "hey wait, we should actually destroy all romes" or, at least, y'know. One rome. That would be fine.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

crimea posted:

I mean it's obviously early days but I think I speak for all of us when I cross my fingers and hope that the Sassanids and the Arabs put aside their differences and realise "hey wait, we should actually destroy all romes" or, at least, y'know. One rome. That would be fine.

I hope that, instead, they decide to Romanize.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I for one will consider this let's play a failure if by the end there isn't a great Immortals Empire spanning from north Africa to the borders of India.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Does Triarius decadence, depravity and degeneracy know no bounds?! Thiudareiks dares to call himself the king of Armorica, knowing that it belongs only to the true lord of the Goths? He holds tournaments and throws parties with his heretic wife and other Septimanian filth, parading his repulsive half-breed sons as if they were worth anything! It's sickening to see, but redemption is coming for Gothia, oh yes. The Triarius are no doubt too deep in the cups to understand that the realm they stole will shatter upon the usurper's death. The Amalings will restore themselves, even if they have to wait! Gothia will be reborn, stronger and greater than it was before!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The Holy Realm of the Immortals is the best thing ever and they are now my favourite realm.

I hope they go on to carving a sizeable realm by themselves. Servants of Angra Mainyu beware!

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

The Holy Realm of the Immortals is the best thing ever and they are now my favourite realm.

I hope they go on to carving a sizeable realm by themselves. Servants of Angra Mainyu beware!

Obviously the Sassanids have become stagnant and corrupt, and must be replaced with an immortal Immortal empire.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm kinda curious where the concepts of de jure kingdoms, the names and boundaries, are coming from here. Roman provinces?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Thanatz posted:

Obviously the Sassanids have become stagnant and corrupt, and must be replaced with an immortal Immortal empire.

The Immortal Empire shall never die!

I mean, obviously.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I'm kinda curious where the concepts of de jure kingdoms, the names and boundaries, are coming from here. Roman provinces?

Partially, yeah. Here, loading up from the start again, the de jure layout in Europe's as follows:

Some parts are more true to Roman provincial borders than other bits. Lusitania and Baetica, down in Spain, have basically the same borders as their Roman provincial antecedents. Gaul, by contrast, is a bit more screwy, with Septimania replacing Gallia Narbonensis and eating a chunk of Roman Aquitania (which is largely because if Septimania strictly followed the borders of old Narbonensis, the borders would look ugly since CK2's province layout doesn't follow Roman boundaries that well). Gothia proper covers half of old Roman Gallia Lugdunensis, with the remainder being given to Armorica, plus Gothia has a bit of southernmost Gallia Belgica.

Duchies also tend to follow old Roman provinces moreso than in vanilla CK2:

Spain was actually easier to do than some other bits, since Romans divided the big provinces there into a series of smaller administrative units called the conventus (plural conventi?), which served as the basis for some duchies, so that the Conventus Emeritanus of the Provincia Lusitania became the Duchy of Emeritanus of the Kingdom of Lusitania. Sometimes the Roman province names have been switched into a proper nominative form, so that Hispania Tarraconensis serves as the basis for the de jure Kingdom of Tarraco, and other times I leave names in whatever form I found them, like Narbonensis remaining the name of a duchy in Septimania. I've not ever taken a course in Latin, so I'm just blissfully unaware of most of the Latin butchering I'm probably doing.

I'm super-proud of all this work, okay, let me talk about the sausage-making.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Ofaloaf posted:

You should be. I don't think even Wiz put this much effort into his conversions.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Merdifex posted:

You should be. I don't think even Wiz put this much effort into his conversions.
Olaloaf is an old hand at modding, especially modding CK2. He's the lead dev of After the End. If you aren't reading that LP you should be!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ofaloaf posted:

Go right ahead, this is cool. :allears:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, I'm a little surprised that Zoroastrians get access to their crusades so early in this.

I mean, I know they have no time requirement in the base game, but in vanilla you need to work a lot harder to get the high priesthood back.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, was not having the High Priesthood already existing an oversight?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, the Sassanids haven't fallen, so why doesn't the office already exist? I also think it would've been better that instead of full blown crusades for this mod the Zoroastrians have granted invasions instead, but I guess it's too late for that now.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Let the boys grow up and kill off whichever one is the weakest.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Having the High Priesthood from the beginning would've just meant Zoroastrian holy wars beginning even earlier.

Work on the CK2 mod began while the Attila bit was still ongoing, and because Horse Lords had been announced, it seemed likely there would be a wave of big patches coming through at some point during the mod work phase. Because of that, I tried to mod as few parts as possible with the logic being that the more files modded, the more likely something would be no longer valid or might go horribly wrong once the patches roll through, and the more headaches and frustration I would have to endure to get everything working.

Thus, I haven't touched the CB files at all and I don't want to touch the CB files, which would've been the other way to prevent Zoroastrian crusades in the 8th century. Leaving the high priesthood disabled at game start was a quick and easy way to at least briefly delay Zoroastrian holy war expansion. A lot of test runs had it fire later than this, too.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Having the High Priesthood from the beginning would've just meant Zoroastrian holy wars beginning even earlier.

Work on the CK2 mod began while the Attila bit was still ongoing, and because Horse Lords had been announced, it seemed likely there would be a wave of big patches coming through at some point during the mod work phase. Because of that, I tried to mod as few parts as possible with the logic being that the more files modded, the more likely something would be no longer valid or might go horribly wrong once the patches roll through, and the more headaches and frustration I would have to endure to get everything working.

Thus, I haven't touched the CB files at all and I don't want to touch the CB files, which would've been the other way to prevent Zoroastrian crusades in the 8th century. Leaving the high priesthood disabled at game start was a quick and easy way to at least briefly delay Zoroastrian holy war expansion. A lot of test runs had it fire later than this, too.

That's what I figured. I was kind of hoping for some kind of flavor explanation, though, maybe Sassanian-style Iconoclasts.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

That's what I figured. I was kind of hoping for some kind of flavor explanation, though, maybe Sassanian-style Iconoclasts.

A more militant political-religious faction? That'd be very cool to see. Cooler still if the Immortals fill that role, and there's some political intrigue between the Shahanshah with his Moabadan-Moabad and the Immortals and some geopolitical interplay stemming from that. It'd also fit in since the Immortals were the only ones to gain from this crusade, so it'd work itself into the narrative smoothly.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Ikasuhito posted:

I for one will consider this let's play a failure if by the end there isn't a great Immortals Empire spanning from north Africa to the borders of India.

Ruled by Immortan Joe?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Sandman posted:

Ruled by Immortan Joe?

Please change the title of the leader of the Immortals to Immortan.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they live to the EU4 era.

National Idea unlocked: WITNESS ME!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Olaloaf is an old hand at modding, especially modding CK2. He's the lead dev of After the End. If you aren't reading that LP you should be!

There's an After the End LP? Here or Paradoxplaza?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Agean90 posted:

I hope they live to the EU4 era.

National Idea unlocked: WITNESS ME!

+1 Yearly Army Tradition
+1.5 Discipline when army stack is losing a battle

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome to the gates of Valhalla

Coffeehitler posted:

There's an After the End LP? Here or Paradoxplaza?

It's here and its quite good!

Enjoy!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A bad thing about this is that Christians and Muslims won't unlock Crusades/Jihads until 900 AD (this meets the condition to unlock Jihads, but the year has to be 900 AD). For Zoroastrians to declare a great holy war they only need to re-establish the high priesthood, normally a quite daunting task so it's a reasonable limitation, but in this mod the Persian empire is controlled by a Zoroastrian from the start and the high priesthood can be established as soon as the AI has enough piety (500 or 1000 I think), and they can wage great holy war.

You might consider changing the "year is at least 900" requirement for Christians and Muslims so they don't have to wait almost 150 years to strike back, though in the future you could probably just have the high priesthood present from the start (not requiring the decision to reform it) and script som triggers for Zoroastrian great holy wars as well.

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh, didn't see this. You still might consider changing the event triggers for Christians and Muslims (or just Muslims) to be 800 AD or something. It's not in cb_types it's a group of events that all set a global flag that allows the CB to be used.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 15, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I wonder if this can be reasoned purely as a response to the massive expansion of Islam at the expense of the sassanids. Not just the crusades, but the high priesthood being a thing that is restored. If Zoroastrian Persia never fell, the church hierarchy would have likely remained intact, but they may have had much more internal strife in the intervening years then has been described, maybe including a breakdown of centralization within the church, to be reasserted just now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

NewMars posted:

I wonder if this can be reasoned purely as a response to the massive expansion of Islam at the expense of the sassanids. Not just the crusades, but the high priesthood being a thing that is restored. If Zoroastrian Persia never fell, the church hierarchy would have likely remained intact, but they may have had much more internal strife in the intervening years then has been described, maybe including a breakdown of centralization within the church, to be reasserted just now.

Should still edit things to allow Muslims to wage Jihad earlier than 900.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Should still edit things to allow Muslims to wage Jihad earlier than 900.

Yeah, if Muslims don't have access to Jihads then they're just gonna get demolished by the Sassanids which seems kinda boring. Like I think everybody would be happy if the Ummayads were more than just paper tigers and could actually fight back against the Sassanids.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 19: Mistakes Were Made

King Thiudareiks' foreign policy of aggressive expansion against all his neighbors except for Belgica, as a means of strengthening Gothia against Belgica, was a highly risky one. It was also, in the opinion of some contemporary chroniclers, a somewhat dumb policy.

While Normandy collapsed and was conquered by Gothia, peasants in the northern part of the realm successfully won independence before the Goths could consume the entire Armorican Peninsula. Led by Count Dalmacius, one small region of indomitable Gauls still held out against the Gothic invaders. Life was not easy for the Gothic soldiers who garrisoned the frontier posts of royal Armorica, and all efforts to subdue these proud Gauls had failed. Nevertheless, King Thiudareiks insisted that these Gallic lands were lawfully Gothia's, and late in 784, he declared a war against Dalmacius and the small Gallic villages of furthest Armorica.

It took months for the Goths to coalesce all their troops near hostile Armorica, while the Gauls' troops quickly and rapidly assembled. Count Dalmacius' men even took Monconturium before the Goths could begin their attack. At last, in March of 785, the Gothic army, numerically superior to the opposing Gauls, marched out to attack Count Dalmacius' men.

And lost, horribly. According to one medieval writer, upon hearing the news of the defeat at Regnica, King Thiudareiks interrogated some of the survivors. "What happened, by God? Were you attacked by superior numbers?" he is reputed to have asked. "Can't quite say," mumbled one survivor. Another one, delirious from the slaughter, claimed that only one Gaul fought off the whole army, "not a very large one either."

What was meant to be a simple, minor takeover of a single county was rapidly turning into an embarrassment for the king and sapping the realm of men needed to fend off a potential attack from Amaling Belgica. Refusing to concede outright defeat, Thiudareiks finally called upon his Septimanian ally, King Maximiien, to assist in the effort to subdue the northern Gauls, and borrowed a significant sum from some Jewish merchants in Lugdunum to finance the hiring of some mercenaries.

At last, by October of 785, the Septimanians and mercenaries had arrived in Armorica, and these combined forces assaulted Count Dalmacius' men anew.

And at last, Gothic forces triumphed over the Gaulish armies. After retaking holdings temporarily lost to the Gallic peasants, royal troops marched to Vorgium and crushed the final remnants of Dalmacius' army.

With no army to resist the Goths, Count Dalmacius finally folded in February of 786, ceding the County of Legionensis to King Thiudareiks. It had taken the obliteration of the Gothic army, some significant draining of the royal coffers, and a year's worth of fighting, but Gothia now included one more county.

Desperate to recover some of the prestige lost from the war's early embarrassments, King Thiudareiks further drained the royal coffers and proclaimed himself the new duke of Normandy.

Feeling that Septimanian support may not be enough in the future, Thiudareiks then sought out new dynastic alliances.

The Franks on the far side of the Belgican realm were a perfect choice. Like the Goths, the Franks were Arians, and their location meant that Belgica would be uncomfortably wedged between two hostile powers were it to try and wage war on either the Goths or the Frankish Merovingians.

King Thiudareiks' son, Prince Thiudareiks, was thus betrothed to the Merovingian Princess Hildesendis, a match that would hopefully provide a fruitful alliance once both children were of age.

The Gothic royal family seemed to be doing better for itself too, at a more personal level. Crown Prince Thiudareiks and Prince Reikahardus had initially been rather cruel to each other, but the elder King Thiudareiks had taken a more active role in their upbringing as they grew older, and did some genuine good in repairing the relationship between the two brothers.

Of course, familial well-being didn't do much good against the threat of Belgica. As always, King Thiudareiks sought more men for his armies, and as always, King Thiudareiks waged war so that he could raise more men for future wars.

In 789, that war was directed against Aquitania, in an effort to secure Marca for the Gothic realm.

Unlike the disastrous campaign against Dalmacius, the Aquitanian war was much more favorable to Thiudareiks from the start. Aquitania's sole army was defeated in Marca and obliterated, after some pursuit, in Waractus. Before the war was over, the Aquitanians were so clearly defeated that the Sarmatian lords of Theifalia declared their own war against the realm. Although a few men had been lost, overall it seemed as if the war was going well.

The Amalings of Belgica had a different opinion of Gothia's strength.

Upon hearing the news of King Luthaweic's move, King Thiudareiks is reported to have not said a word, but merely made small wimpering noises for the remainder of the day. His councillors, acting in his name, sent an envoy to the son of the recently-deceased King Maximiien, King Aurelïen of Septimania, begging for help. Like his father before him, Aurelïen proved to be a credit to his dynasty and readily agreed to help.

And, with the threat of Amaling invasion looming over their heads, the nobles of Gothia finally assented to King Thiudareiks' proposed Codex Theodericus, a collection of laws and legal rulings which slightly favored the king over the nobility moreso than had previously been the practice.

Initial Gothic hopes rested on a quick strike against the Amaling capital, which was close to the border with Gothia. Belgic troops were close by, besieging Gothic holdings in Treci, but appeared to make no move against the Goths attacking the Amaling's court itself.

Neither side made a direct move against the other's army, initially. But, in late autumn of 790, Septimanian troops met up with the main body of the Gothic army near Paris, and from there the combined Gothic-Gallic force marched south to meet the Amaling army still preoccupied in Treci.

The Belgic Amaling army was thus soundly defeated at the Battle of Lingonum, and again at Bellumfortum

With their armies obliterated, their capital taken by Gothic troops, the Amalings had no choice but to surrender.

Gothia was still at war with Aquitania, however. The Gothic court had decided not to sue for peace with that kingdom when the Amalings attacked from the north, as the Aquitanians appeared so weakened that the war for Marca could be left at a stalemate for some time, while Gothic troops were tied up in the north.

The Aquitanian recapture of Bellacum marked a revival in warfare between the two realms, however. Gothic manpower was severely drained by this point in the conflict, but nonetheless were still stronger than Aquitania's. Thus, Gothic troops managed to rout Aquitanian soldiers once again at the battle of Agernaco in December of 791, wiping out the enemy's army once more, before resuming their campaign of sieges in northern Aquitania.

Crown Prince Thiudareiks reached his majority at this time, which was marked with celebrations in the capital. Gothia had endured its roughest period yet and emerged victorious. Soon, it appeared that another province would be added to the grand realm of the Goths. By the court's reckoning, this was a grand time for the kingdom.

What the Gothic court thought was right for the kingdom differed from what the Gothic nobility thought was right for the kingdom.

The Codex Theodericus, the new laws which had increased the crown's authority, were hardly popular with all the vassals which had been weakened as a consequence. Gothia had been at war for three years and had endured some significant losses in various battles, losses that were felt by vassals from which the Gothic levies had been drawn. The continuing question of crown succession and the future unity of the realm was of growing concern, and the king's lack of action on that front was an irritation to many.

Although these concerns were legitimate, the king refused to yield to his vassals' demands for an immediate change in the succession law. Just as Gothia had won a tremendous victory against the Amalings, it was now consumed in civil war.

Now Gothia agreed to a peace with Aquitania, having finally won the province of Marca which had started the entire recent chain of conflicts. With the Aquitanian war at last resolved, Gothia could at last solely focus on its civil war and internal affairs.

Gothia could do this. King Thiudareiks could not.

It is said that King Thiudareiks II's dying breath came out not as a slow sigh, but as a bellowing, drawn-out wail, as in his dying moments he at last realized he had left his children a divided realm, drained of men and money, now bordered to the north and south by realms that hated Gothia far more now than they did when Thiudareiks II had first been crowned.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Let's Wear Black: In Memory of Gothia

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

You could have just switched to Elective. Everyone would have been happy and we could have kept Armorica. But no, you had to stick with loving Gavelkind...

(I do understand the narrative reasons, but gently caress Gavelkind anyway.)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

WHOOPS

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just noticed Avaria has a single still-Tengri duke. Fantastic. :allears: When the mod is out I'll have to take that guy and make Tengri Rome with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Perfect. :getin: