Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Falconier111 posted:

:rip: Ofaloaf: The Gothonomicon drove him insane.

Not that you have to be sane to post on Something Awful.

Seriously though, is Ofaloaf okay? It's been a while since we have had an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Fox Ironic posted:

Seriously though, is Ofaloaf okay? It's been a while since we have had an update.

Ofa works as a substitute teacher, so he's probably been busier than usual since school has started.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fox Ironic posted:

Death engulfs us all, someday. But no, I'm okay. As Mr. Morgenstern has said, work's gotten me a bit busy. Middle schoolers, you know.

I'll get something nice and good written up by the end of this week though, so help me God.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ofaloaf posted:

Death engulfs us all, someday. But no, I'm okay. As Mr. Morgenstern has said, work's gotten me a bit busy. Middle schoolers, you know.

I'll get something nice and good written up by the end of this week though, so help me God.

To be fair, the little bastards are basically death of one kind or another.

I may just be bitter that while visiting my family my cousins got me sick twice in as many months.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Children are supposed to be hives of disease; that's how their immune system gets practice :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 24: The Gabrielan Era

With Gothia militarily expanding outwards once more, the reign of King Gabriel entered its final phase. With both its northern neighbor, Belgica, and south-neighboring Aquitania on their last legs, the time seemed ripe for Gothia to grow once more.

Before Gothic troops began to retake proper Gothic lands, however, King Gabriel wanted to secure his new possession in Italy with better lines of communication. Duke Sido of Helvetia, an independent Swabian ruler, sat on the province of Genava and a key portion of an old Roman road, the Iter Per Alpes Penninas, which cut north-south through the Great St. Bernard Pass to connect the western Italian provinces to eastern Gaul. Already, some of King Gabriel's vassals had begun harrying Helvetia, and the king saw it was as good a time as any to attack.

The war itself was one-sided and quickly won by Gothia, but the House of Triarius won a remarkable little relic during the conflict. While besieging eastern Helvetia, King Gabriel was presented with the remains of Saint Marius of Aventicum. Declaring this to be a sign of God's favor in his fight against a heretic- Duke Sido was a Catholic- King Gabriel sent the remains back to Lugdunum in a grand parade. Saint Marius' skull was made part of a reliquary presented at the royal court to heighten the prestige and piety of the House of Triarius, and veneration of the saint quickly became part of common practice in Lugdunum.

The Alpes had not been a sufficient defense for Sido; without enough men to cover all the passes and forts at the frontiers of his realm, he had been quickly and easily overwhelmed by King Gabriel's Gothic armies. Genava thus passed into Gothic control in mid-838.

Alas, the war against the Catholic lord of Helvetia had apparently not been well-received in all quarters.

Recently-converted Catholic Armorica reacted to Gothia's southward expansion by declaring war to seize a northern Gothic territory.

Gabriel's involvment in the Roman Orthodox world paid off, with both Septimania and the Roman Empire in Spain positively responding to his call to war.

Even without its Roman allies, Gothia was able to field a larger army than Armorica. With its Roman allies, Gothia was able to focus on destroying the Armorican army, while the Romans were free to besiege and wear down Armorica proper.

Like the Helvetian War before it, the war against Armorica was won handily and speedily. The prestige of the king and realm continued to rise upwards. Clearly, the unrest and weakness of days' past was now gone.

And, for his great achievements defending and expanding the realm, for bringing Gothia into communion with the Roman Orthodox faith, for stabilizing central Gaul and ending the chaos of his predecessors' reigns, King Gabriel was at last given a nickname by his loving people:

While King Gabriel stewed in his own feelings of being slighted, bigger things were happening abroad.

The Persians had declared a great holy war on Africa, ignoring their Umayyad neighbors entirely. Africa was an Orthodox realm and thus a coreligionist of Gothia, but the Goths had no Mediterranean ports and, more importantly, the Caliphate's existence between Africa and Persia made it seem likely that the Zoroastrians would not be even able to reach their holy target, much less have enough troops survive the march across the Levant to pose a serious challenge.

Still, these events were far away and not going to have any serious direct impact on Gothia. More serious was the king's bouts of illness, which began when he was 44 and only increased in frequency with time.

Although the illnesses always faded away eventually, it seems whatever affliction he had began to gradually chip away at his faculties. Infirmity is never a good thing, but when it strikes a king, it generally marks the beginning of the end of his reign.

Gabriel's declining health didn't stop his regular habits- despite his protestations, he wasn't dubbed 'the Drunkard' for nothing. Monks were regular visitors at the king's court throughout his reign, bringing theological insight, scholastic learning and vast quantities of alcohol to the royal estates.

The monks proved to be the catalyst for the last great military venture of King Gabriel's reign, in fact. To Gothia's south, in the fragmenting lands of Aquitania, lay the County of Santonicensis, ruled by the heretical Count Silvanus.

An Acacian (like almost all former Arian heretics), Silvanus ruled a wedge of land between the Garonne River and Gothia, and actually controlled more territory in Aquitania than the King of Aquitania proper. Because of Silvanus and the other heretical lords of that chaotic region, the only way Orthodox Goths could communicate and commune with their Orthodox Roman brethren in the Carthagennan Empire was either by an expensive ship across the Bay of Biscay or by a roundabout land route through Septimania. This left the Othodox faith in Gothia in a troublesome position, and the monks who regularly visited and drank with King Gabriel regularly lamented the matter.

With the monks' plight in might, Gabriel decided to expand Gothia southwards. Extending the rationale behind the fabricated Bounty of Honorius to the rest of Gaul, claiming that the Goths had a duty to protect all Romans, not just Romans in Italy, from false faiths, Gabriel declared war against Silvanus in 844.

Shortly after the declaration, shocking news arrived at the Gothic court, spurring the faithful on to better strengthen Orthodoxy.

The Zoroastrians had conquered Africa. Although technically the lands were incorporated into the Sassanid Empire, in practice the realm had been won by the satrap of Azerbaijan, now hailed as the Shah of Africa, and he began entertaining notions of independence from practically the moment a crown fell on his head.

Shaken by the conquest of Orthodox Africa by the Persians, Septimania moved to help Gothia conquer the heretical realm of Silvanus.

And, with Gallic help, the last remnants of heretic resistance were absolutely crushed, and the Gothic conquest of Santonicensis wrapped up in early 845.

Africa's loss had profound effects upon religious life in Gothia. While previously Arian heresies had been the concern of the day, now Orthodoxy heresies began posing some concern. King Gabriel was still fairly effective at challenging individual instances of heretical thought, at least, but broader concerns remained.

Gabriel also began planning to expand Orthodoxy in new directions, sending missionaries to the east. After many false starts, Airmanagild of Lugdunum, one of Gothia's most skilled Orthodox priests, managed to find a receptive audience at the court of Jazygia, a Tengri Pagan realm situated in the Pannonian Basin.

These efforts to rebuild and expand Orthodoxy took their toll on the already-sickly king. His health took a sharp turn downwards during the summer of 851, with Gabriel experiencing hallucinations and fading vision.

And by winter of that same year, it was apparent to all that Gabriel's time was coming to an end.

When King Gabriel died on December 27th, 851, his death was mourned by all of the faithful, and his remains were paraded through the icy capital to the royal catacombs near the dynasty's great estate.

Over King Gabriel's 53-year reign, Gothia had greatly changed. Initially divded, weak, engulfed in religious conflict, Gabriel had brought the Gothic lands stability with the conversion of the realm to Orthodoxy. Gothia's lands had expanded, with the Armorican Peninsula, most of Helvetia, and toeholds in Aquitania and the Italian Peninsula now marking the new boundaries of the realm. Gothia still did not compare with the great realm carved out by the early Amalings in the 5th century, but it had improved beyond the chaotic situation of earlier Triarian kings.

Abroad, prospects for Orthodoxy had already begun to recover. Although Africa was still in Zoroastrian hands, the Baduspanids of Azerbaijan had managed to wrest their independence from the Persian Empire, leaving Africa (and Azerbaijan) without Sassanid protection and weakening the Persians themselves.

Belgica itself had completely collapsed, with not even a notional king left standing. Amaling power was gone, and the Rhenish frontier had turned into a battleground between heretics and pagans.

While Germanic peoples struggled to maintain their strength, Iranian peoples in Europe were faring better. The Avars of Italy had managed to keep their independence, and had begun a process of assimilation with the Latin people of their realm. A rare document of 9th-century Avaria preserved in a Milanese church displays this change in action- it mentions both a Balambär of Bergomum and a Balambero di Bèrghem- in effect, it showed a snapshot of the early transformation of the Avars into Italians.

The 9th century was proving itself to be a transformative time for Europe, with great changes in its religious and cultural character. The Great Migrators of old- the Goths, the Avars, the Slavs- were finding themselves acclimating to the old Roman world in new ways, with the Roman faith penetrating former Arian lands, Roman culture turning the Avars into a new people, and rule of the Roman Empire itself prompting the Slavs of Byzantium to behave in more Roman ways. At the same time, the Roman world was becoming barbarized. The Orthodox faith was now no longer exclusively the domain of Latin speakers, but was spreading amongst Germanic and Iranian speakers. Former strongholds of Roman culture, like Carthage and Mediolanum, were now ruled by foreign peoples and introduced to foreign cultures and foreign ways of thinking. Even a stronghold of Romanitas like the Carthagennan Empire in Spain was now involved in the barbarian world, with barbarian blood running in the veins of the ruling dynasty.

Much had changed during King Gabriel's reign- how much more would change under the rule of King Theoderic IV?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how Avaria has a duchy in not-Hungary. :allears:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GSD posted:

I like how Avaria has a duchy in not-Hungary. :allears:

Even in alternate histories, they know where they truly belong.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The Zoroastrians took Africa. :psyduck:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Zoroastrianism is really militant in this timeline, wow. Will they be the crusaders of this timeline, I wonder, in terms of political impact and historical coverage?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The Zoroastrians took Africa. :psyduck:

It's a sign. Arianism is the true faith. We never should have converted to the false Christianity.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It's a sign that Zoroastrianism is really cool.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

dublish posted:

It's a sign. ZoroastrianismArianism is the true faith. We never should have converted to the false Christianity.

This victory has placed a Zoroastrian power base on either side of the hated Umayyads. They shall be crushed between the African Azerbaijani hammer and the Persian anvil.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Can't wait for Zoroastrian Russia

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Moabadan-Moabad is never not a complete rear end in a top hat about borders. When I Restored the Empire as the Karens the first thing he did was declare a GHW for Greece, despite my never having gone to war with the Byz. I had to spend centuries cleaning up Anatolia!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Rodyle posted:

The Moabadan-Moabad is never not a complete rear end in a top hat about borders. When I Restored the Empire as the Karens the first thing he did was declare a GHW for Greece, despite my never having gone to war with the Byz. I had to spend centuries cleaning up Anatolia!

Bizarrely enough, I had a Moabadan-Moabad do the same thing twice, despite the fact that my borders didn't touch Anatolia. A later one declared war on Africa, so, I guess unusual GHW targets connect Zoroastrians across time and space.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Zoroastrian Africa is the future :colbert:

Also what culture/religion are Cherson? They seem to be doing well.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope this means the Moabadan-Moabad and the Caliph have made a pact. Ignore each other and just both can conquer everything else together.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

"Theoderic"? Oh my god, the Gothic language is changing too, isn't it?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rejected Fate posted:

Also what culture/religion are Cherson? They seem to be doing well.
Cherson's Greek, actually.

Negrostrike posted:

"Theoderic"? Oh my god, the Gothic language is changing too, isn't it?
Oh, that's not the form in the mod at all. That's just the current way that Thiudareiks tends to be written out, with 'Theodoric' gradually being replaced with 'Theoderic' in a lot of recent literature I've been reading on the Goths.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Makes sense, languages change with time too after all.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wish the effects of inbreeding were a bit more serious for Zorastrians. And that they wouldn't be in such dire straits when the holy orders all start kicking in.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 25: Mo Money Mo Ambitions

King Thiudareiks IV came to the throne a mature man, having been born very early in King Gabriel's reign and patiently waiting in the wings while Gabriel slowly drank himself to death. By the time he was crowned, he had already become the father of four children, including one son also named Thiudareiks. Although not the most skilled diplomat or intriguer, the new king did have a knack for stewardship.

That was a knack he sought to capitalize on throughout his reign. Just and brave, Thiudareiks was nonetheless a greedy man, and the pursuit of riches became one of his primary goals thoughout his life.

Barely a year into his reign, the king, prompted by one Baron Ibba, had already begun organizing a preliminary expedition to seek out new trade routes and trade partners for Gothia and the Crown.

Although eager to enrich himself, the king hindered his own expedition and chances for profit in several ways. His own sense of justice and fair play prevented himself from simply seizing a ship for the effort- he ended up paying full price for a vessel- but then his greed got the better of him, and so let zealous priests join the royal expedition into heathen lands in exchange for a tidy payment to the crown's coffers.

The expedition left Gothic lands in the summer of 852, arriving (with the king in tow!) in the Norse realm of Nidaros three weeks after departure. King Ingolfr, lord of those lands, was unimpressed with the pouch of rare herbs stingy Thiudareiks offered as a token of friendship.

Having started off poorly, the expedition managed to get worse. The priests who had paid the king to accompany the trade legation to Nidaros had been caught engaging in a heated theological 'debate' with a local pagan priest. According to a later Saxon chronicler, this 'debate' primarily consisted of the Gothic priests yelling "HEATHEN! COVERT!" over and over until King Thiudareiks personally intervened and has his guards drag the clergymen away. The damage had been done, however, and Ingolfr of Nidaros ultimately refused the Goths' trade proposal and ejected them from his realm.

Shamed by his failure, Thiudareiks returned to Gothia. A month after his return, the king's brother, Duke Duda, sent letters to the royal court, inviting the king and some other members of the dynasty to visit his estates in the Alps. Thiudareiks, happy to get his mind off his recent setback, accepted, and was pleasantly surprised to find his time at the estates a happy one, one that even got him closer to the rest of his family. By the account of the Gothic royal chronicle, business-minded Thiudareiks is said to have admitted that "family might have some worth of its own" after that first retreat at Duke Duda's estate.

It's probably a good thing Duke Duda's gathering happened when it did, for a year later, the realm erupted in revolt. One faction sought to weaken the crown's power, while the other sought to install the very same Duda as Gothia's new king. Prince Duda himself, having recently spent time befriending the king, sided with Thiudareiks, and remained loyal to the crown. Duda's loyalty spared him from any punishments after the rebellions were crushed, although Thiudareiks was a little more mindful of court factions and intrigue afterwards.

Other difficulties soon followed. Patriarch Airmanagild had been diligently and patiently working on the conversion of Jazygia for years, when the realm's pagan ruler, King Kul, suddenly had a zealous change of heart and banished all Christian missions from his land. The royal chronicle lamented that "someday the Cross will span the Danube and all of Pannonia will be saved, but that day is not today". Other missionaries would be sent by Thiudareiks to the Alans and Germans, but like Airmanagild's efforts in Jazygia, none enjoyed any major success.

Partially in reaction to these failures in the east, and partially due to the Orthodox faith's general malaise after the Zoroastrian conquest of Christian Africa, heresy began popping up in the Gothic court. Unlike the collapse of the Arian faith, these heretical outbursts were largely on an individual basis among the courtiers, giving the King an opportunity to personally intervene and correct his courtiers' errors, but it was nonetheless an unnerving trend for Gothic Orthodoxy.

Other strands of Christianity did seem to have their own appealing strengths at this time, which may help understand the Goths' minor problems with heresy. Notably, Catholicism seemed to be faring well on the Upper Danube, as the Catholic realm of Avaria reached new heights with its conquest of Carantania. The realm was effectively split in two by the Alps, a problem that would become more apparent later in Avaria's history, but in the late 850s and early 860s, Catholic Avaria looked mighty indeed.

The faltering power of Orthodoxy and his own vassals' rebellions likely put some considerable stress upon poor King Thiudareiks. Gothia looked imperiled from within and from beyond its borders. To the king's credit, however, he did not fall to the same vices as his father- while he did still enjoy a drink from time to time, he never, according to the royal chronicle, sank to "the same depravity and excess of drink as King Gabriel had done".

And, while Orthodoxy may have felt a little shaken at this time, it was nowhere nearly as weak as the Arian faith, which had sunk to such depths that heretical Anomoeanism had become the dominant strain within Arian practice.

Admittedly, this seems to have been in large part due to the conversion of King Lucas of Septimania to Anomoeanism, despite the continued predominance of Orthodoxy within his realm. Without King Lucas' conversion, Acacianism, the heresy that destroyed Belgica, would have likely become the dominant strain of Arianism around the same time.

Sullen despair was no way for a mercantile-minded man like King Thiudareiks to behave! The king began working on other projects, and eyeing other ways to expand royal revenues. Aside from the conquest of Helvetia and Caturiges, Thiudareiks held off on major military adventures, insteading laying the groundwork for an attack on the rich lands of Northern Italy. Citing the Bounty of Honorius, that document that very likely had been written by a Gothic priest just a generation or so prior, Thiudareiks began fabricating a reason to conquer the portions of Liguria held by the Papal-led Holy Roman Empire of Italy.

There was one other campaign that Thiudareiks committed to, while preparing for war against the HRE. Duke Suatrias, lord of Turonum, declared that Armorican-held Andecavia was rightfully his through a convoluted inheritance claim. While normally the idea of strengthening any one vassal might have been an unappealing prospect, especially given the recent rebellions in Gothia, Thiudareiks agreed to press Duke Suatrias' claim, likely in the hopes that the lands would also grant him more revenue and men with which to fight the Pope.

The war against Armorica proved a very happy success for King Thiudareiks. His call for men gave him a 16000-strong army to work with, a far larger force than what Armorica could field and almost on par with what Gothic spies claimed the Holy Roman Empire could raise for war.

Hungry for more men and more money, the king even began parceling off his own lands and selling them to the highest bidder. Although this surely hurt his revenues in the long run, the immediate additions to the royal coffers likely seemed much more appealing to Thiudareiks.

And, to be fair to Thiudareiks, he really did seem to have the hang of trade and commerce down. His reign had been spent building a financial machine that could pour money into the treasury, and that work was now paying off and being put to use in his plans for Italian conquest.

The keystone of the Italian project was a series of alliances Thiudareiks secured in the 860s. One Gothic princess was married off to the Illyrian court, securing support from that Dalmatian realm. Another princess was married off to the King of Avaria's brother, creating an alliance that would have been stronger a decade prior, as since then Avaria had lost its lands in Carantania to dynastic struggle.

But along with those lackluster alliances came the big one: Gothia secured a new alliance with the Carthagennan Empire, marrying a Gothic prince to the daughter of Emperor Dedon. The Romans of Hispania had been spending their time consolidating their hold on Spain, and had even begun the reconquest of old Roman Mauritania. Alone, they could almost match Papal Italy's forces man-for-man, but a combined Gothic-Roman army would easily outnumber any army the Papacy could raise.

Combined together, Thiudareiks expressed confidence that the coalition he had put together would be strong enough to take on the Pope and win him the Ligurian provinces he longed for.

At last, in the Spring of 869, Thiudareiks was ready. The royal coffers were full, the realm was stable, and his alliances and claims were all in place. If he could break the Papacy just once, he was sure Italy could be his for the taking, and with it, he could become the undisputed master of Christendom. The trade of Europe would be his to control, and the Gothic treasury would never run empty ever again.

Of course, Thiudareiks was working under the assumption that the rest of the world would just give way once Italy was conquered, and that nothing beyond the Rhine had changed since his great-grandfather's time. The world of 869 was a much different place compared to the world of 769.

Germania, firstly, had actually consolidated a fair bit since 769. Although ethnic lines still divided the region, clear blocs were now being formed. In the northeast, the Alans had conquered the Slavic Wendish people, and had formed an Alanic 'Kingdom of Venedia', named after the very same people the Alans had subjugated. Southwards, Alanic peoples had maintained an independent realm in Boyustan, and south of that, Carantania remained an ever-present power along the Danube, albeit one currently embroiled in a series of dynastic claims and wars with Avaria.

Westwards, the Swabians Suebians ruled three allied realms, while to their north lay mighty Angaria. Formed by pagan Frisians and Franks feasting upon the now-extinct remains of Christian Frankia, the two peoples had even begun forming their own unique ethnic culture- whereas before they had been Franks and Frisians, in the western part of their realm they had begun indentifying themselves as something called Dutch, which had even become the culture of the ruling classes.

North of Germania, the Norse were still engaged in their petty fighting and fiefdoms. The southern Norse of ancient Dani lands had managed to coalesce and form Danmark, while the the Norsemen surrounding the Gulf of Bothia had unified under the title of 'Norrland'.

The western steppes themselves were a mess; even mighty Sarmatia was rapidly fragmenting. Out of that chaos, who knew what would next emerge?

Southwards, in the lands of the Levant and the ancient Oriens, the Sassanids and Umayyads were still caught up in their struggle for supremacy. The Persians had recovered from their earlier bout of independence revolts, and had even reincorporated Africa into their empire, leaving the Umayyads pinned. Time would tell if the Islamic Caliphate would survive or be obliterated.

Gothia's northern neighbor, the British Isles, was in a sad state. Once dominated by Christian Loegria, the Celtic Britons of Cambria- now calling itself 'Brythoniaid'- now ruled much of Great Britain, from the former lands of the Picts almost all the way down to what ancient Ptolemy called the Oceanus Britannicus. What few Christian realms remained were disunited in their creeds. Hibernian Mumu proclaimed itself Donatist, while Icenia followed the Anomean strain of Arianism. Dumnonia alone still followed old Arian practices. Separated by petty religious disputes, it seemed likely that pagan Brythoniaid would conquer them all.

Increasingly fixated on Italy, King Thiudareiks had become blind to the changes, opportunities and threats that had developed elsewhere in Europe. Even if he conquered Italy, would he be strong enough to challenge the Sassanids? If the pagan Britons succeeded in conquering all of Britannia before the Goths could intervene, could that ancient Christian land ever be retaken for the true faith? Without a Christian influence, how dangerous could Germania be if it ever unified? Victory in Italy, if secured, was hardly the end of Gothia's challenges in Europe.

Gothia, from 769:

to 869:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

That is a powerful celtic Britain we have on our hands there.

Guess we'll have to redouble our efforts for their salvation :hist101:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The British Isles have finally been freed of the roman yoke.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GSD posted:

Thiudareiks is a man who cares about maintaining a healthy economy, and any religious concerns are secondary to that. His heir, or his heir's heir? Hey, who knows how zealous they'll be? I didn't even have the crown prince raised by the king, I honestly have no idea what he's like.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GSD posted:

Hail to the warriors.

Anyways, I don't think Gothia will ever have to worry about the Sassanids.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Jeez, what a strange world we have wrought.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The world has been consumed by heathens and heretics! God has abandoned us, His ungrateful and rebellious children! Do we not deserve it? Have we not seen the warnings, the signs?! There is no hope left, no salvation, only the rule of heathen tyrants on earth, and the rule of Satan below. That is all that awaits humanity!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm so glad the British pagans made it. :unsmith:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's not our once glorious Hellenic Britannia, but I will certainly accept the super celts. How close are they to reforming?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The world has been consumed by heathens and heretics! God has abandoned us, His ungrateful and rebellious children! Do we not deserve it? Have we not seen the warnings, the signs?! There is no hope left, no salvation, only the rule of heathen tyrants on earth, and the rule of Satan below. That is all that awaits humanity!
Keep it together man, we've still got more than a century before the new millennium arrives! That's a few more generations before Jesus returns and the end of times consumes us all, at least.

Rodyle posted:

It's not our once glorious Hellenic Britannia, but I will certainly accept the super celts. How close are they to reforming?
Somewhat worryingly, at least one Celtic holy site is in Gaul.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
What really concerns me is that massive blue blob in India. If it stays with any degree of stability, the Sassanids might have the Mauyrean Empire 2.0 to look out for.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Somewhat worryingly, at least one Celtic holy site is in Gaul.

But they have at least 3 yeah? Hope our friend gets that last bit of Piety! Though I don't know what kind of Pagans you made the Celts.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rodyle posted:

But they have at least 3 yeah? Hope our friend gets that last bit of Piety! Though I don't know what kind of Pagans you made the Celts.
The Celts are, well, Celtic Pagans. I nicked the religion from a Celtic Pagan mod on the Paradox forums.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

The Celts are, well, Celtic Pagans. I nicked the religion from a Celtic Pagan mod on the Paradox forums.

No I meant if they're offensive or defensive pagans.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rodyle posted:

No I meant if they're offensive or defensive pagans.
All pagans are offensive to any true Christian. :colbert:

But yeah, their bonuses are defensive in nature.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope they can forge a Fortress Britain.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I quite like Uib's green horse. I hope if they stay in power (as a consolation prize for if they are not liberated by the faith, of course) it can be a British symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

GSD posted:

I hope they can forge a Fortress Britain.

Well they'll probably convert by the 11th century because being an unreformed pagan by then starts to suck