Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

loquacius posted:

At what point do the Western Roman Separatists get their own name?
They don't, they're Separatists forever in Attila. If they survive to the end of Attila, the question of what they actually are (the true WRE, some sort of Other Roman Empire, a Roman kingdom, just a bunch of dudes who were only united to defeat the empire but act as independent dukes once all is said and done, etc.) will probably be one of several votes in the CK2 conversion process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Jesenjin posted:

Are there any benefits, outside rebuilding it just because you can?

If it's some really decent place, preferably with coast and some valuable trade/crafting resource then it's worth it. For example if it's the only way you can get lead or steel for higher level church buildings or to improve your troops respectively. But as stated it takes a while, your stack will need a couple of turns to regain strength or merge and recruit, and you have to protect the settlement until there's any real garrison.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Jesenjin posted:

Are there any benefits, outside rebuilding it just because you can?

Pretty borders. :colbert:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Neruz posted:

That is kind of what happened though.

Minus the 'significant population centers in Northern Europe' part, yes.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Pretty borders. :colbert:

Sacrifice all for pretty borders.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

They don't, they're Separatists forever in Attila. If they survive to the end of Attila, the question of what they actually are (the true WRE, some sort of Other Roman Empire, a Roman kingdom, just a bunch of dudes who were only united to defeat the empire but act as independent dukes once all is said and done, etc.) will probably be one of several votes in the CK2 conversion process.

Well, they're right between the Western and Eastern Roman Empires, so clearly they're the Central Roman Empire right now! :v:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
They're the Roman People's Front. The guys in Spain are the People's Front of Rome.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Spiderfist Island posted:

Well, they're right between the Western and Eastern Roman Empires, so clearly they're the Central Roman Empire right now! :v:

The Roamin' Empires.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
The WRE is basically the Hispanic Empire at this point and the Rebels are in charge of the actual Rome

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Wait a second. If there's three Romes already, does that mean that Russia can't exist?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

NewMars posted:

Wait a second. If there's three Romes already, does that mean that Russia can't exist?

Russia will be fifth Rome, Srbja will be fourth.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can't, like, count romes, man. Rome is everywhere, in all of us.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013

Sindai posted:

You can't, like, count romes, man. Rome is everywhere, in all of us.

Rome is where the heart is.

Also, nice LP. I sort of gave up on the Total War series after Rome 2, but it's nice to see that Attila isn't as unpolished at all. Gives me hope for the Warhammer game they're making.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tulip posted:

The Roamin' Empires.

:eyepop:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Question: does romano-britain up there count as a Rome?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a way for you to colonize the (presumably) empty space on the map? If so, is if feasible to do so?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Technowolf posted:

Is there a way for you to colonize the (presumably) empty space on the map? If so, is if feasible to do so?

KnoxZone posted:

If you send an army to a razed city you have the option to rebuild it. It is really expensive(talking 10k+ money) but it can be reduced by your army size. If you have a lot of men in your army the price is cheaper, but half of your army leaves to colonize the city. The city rebuilds with no buildings. It also generally takes a long while before the city has reached enough growth to recover the building slots. Fertility in razed provinces is also poo poo.

Basically rebuilding a city is a very long and costly deal.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I was talking about the areas without faction colors/symbols in them, like the area to our south. Or are those just pre-razed cities?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The East of the Western Roman Empire West of the Eastern Roman Empire Roman Empire

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The most Rome-y explanation for the Separatists are probably that they're the followers of such-and-such charismatic general/politician currently making a power play for the Empire, since that happened a bunch of times in actual Roman history.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
They're most likely senators and patricians who think they can run the Empire better.

At this point I think they're right.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

The Sandman posted:

They're the Roman People's Front. The guys in Spain are the People's Front of Rome.

Splitters!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 10: Devastatio (Spring 420 - Spring 424)

The advent of 420 begins with the information that Attila has been crowned King of the Huns. That's funny, because he's been king for over a year already!

We're also told that we've done a good job just surviving as far as we have, and that we should keep on trying for another twelve years or so.

Quite a challenge! Hopefully our good friend Attila will help us out if things get tricky.

Speaking of which, if we're going to stick with this pro-Hun policy, we've got to make sure the Huns keep liking us. To that end, we marry one of King Vithericus' daughters, Princess Guilia-runa, to King Attila. Family bonds will keep our alliance strong!

The Huns get into the groove of things and even start offering marriages to us, too! Yeah, I think we're going to have a great relationship here on out.

Much better than screaming away from them in terror while being chased across half the Roman Empire.

We may just need that Hunnic backup, too. The Quadians, settled down in Venetia, have managed to convince the Anteans, a people who've managed to taken part of Aquitania from the Irish, to join them in war against us. Defending our eastern frontier has been a headache already, and now we have a western front opening up in this war.

Oh boy!

In mid-421, we get a new neighbor to the east, which might help staunch the flow of invaders from that direction, maybe. Gaul has appeared for a third time, this time emerging in Argentoratum, a town previously held by the Langobards.

Although Argentoratum is part of the province of Maxima Sequanorum, and thus it'd actually be pretty easy to stabilize control of the town if we seized it. We opt not to attack Gaul, however, as these wars are getting pretty tiring as it is.

Because yeah, there's a lot of wars going on. The Anteans are quite keen to beat the poo poo out of us, and pretty quickly march out of Burdigala to start sacking our own towns. We really need to march an army out that way to turn them back, but our armies are still pretty small, and we're basically doing a giant juggling act involving Gothic armies and threats to the Gothic realm.

Thankfully, one concern is amicably dealt with, as the Franks finally offer their own peace terms.

And not a moment too soon! We need to get an army out toward Turonum as quick as possible, before the Anteans do another-

aw goddratit. The Anteans razed our town of Rotomagus, the shits. What's more, the razing of Rotomagus is enough to prompt the local populace of Lugdunensis to revolt!

Not that it'll be an immediate problem or anthOH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Goddamned local rebels managed to seize Turonum! The town's garrison hadn't yet recovered from the Antean sack, and our own troops are still trying to get over to that side of Gaul.

Not that they actually have far to march, at this point.

A large Gothic force was on the way to Turonum when the rebels seized it, and now it's pretty easy to roll over the small rebel force that remains in the town. The realm is saved!

And hell, why not go one further? While there's a lull in the eastern fighting, we send King Vithericus himself to attack the Antean capital of Burgidala. The Antean army is still ravaging our Gallic territories elsewhere, but to hell with all that, we're going to rip their heart out.

In compensation for the loss of Rotomagus, we seize Burdigala and claim it for ourselves. gently caress you, Anteans!

Of course, that means there's now a wandering horde of Anteans in our realm.

This is somewhat worrying, but at least they aren't Huns. We're able to pin one army down just north of Lugdunum, and have at them.

The classic three-column organization is the easiest thing to do for this battle, and it's what we start with, but shortly after the battle starts, reinforcements join us, and form a fourth column on our right.

When the two armies meet, both stand firm for a few minutes. The Antean center is the first to buckle under the pressure, and eventually flees, allowing our center to split and attack the right and left flanks of the remaining Antean forces.

The collapse of the center and the flanking attacks cause the remnants of the enemy's army to fold quickly, and we're able to review our handiwork.

A job well done, it seems! The second Antean army likewise cracks when finally attacked by Goths directly.

And with that, our Antean issue is resolved.

Also the Geats died too. RIP.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Also, here's a political map as of Spring 424 without cheesy text labels:

and with cheesy text labels:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm seeing too many Franks on that map. :colbert:

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

So much for the WRE forming a state in Iberia. :stare:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Britain seems decidedly too united for this time period.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Oh man, I hope some kind of Romano-Britain survives to CK2, with Pendragons and Druids and poo poo. Sassanids are looking nice and strong too.

The "Western Roman Separatists" are Republicans in my canon.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

What religion are the WRS, anyway? Hellenic or Latin Christian?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hey, if Britain survives in its strong state and if Gaul stays where it is, maybe I can include both Brithenig and Jovian as cultures in CK2.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

What religion are the WRS, anyway? Hellenic or Latin Christian?
Latin Christian. It's only the revolters like Britain and Macedonia that default to Greco-Roman from the start, although this third iteration of Gaul was Arian from the moment it popped up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You need to solidify France soon in any case or otherwise it looks like a British nightmare is going to rise out of the ocean, and no amount of seashell collecting will save you.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm curious how Britain incorporated Ireland and Scotland, really.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Holy poo poo, this game seems way more cray than the older ones. People really like dogpiling you man.

GSD posted:

I'm curious how Britain incorporated Ireland and Scotland, really.
Just a guess, but they probably did it with force of armsū

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Holy poo poo, this game seems way more cray than the older ones. People really like dogpiling you man.

Yeah, from LPs I was used to the Total War dogpile, but I usually associated that with the endgame rather than immediately and constantly.

I hope Hellenic Britain sticks around! It'll be really cool when CK rolls around. Assuming we don't get wiped by them first, I mean.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

You know, from the ways things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if our lands were taken and we were forced to become a horde again and by the end of the game we end in the Crimea.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
What are the bonus objectives actually?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ofaloaf posted:

Hey, if Britain survives in its strong state and if Gaul stays where it is, maybe I can include both Brithenig and Jovian as cultures in CK2.

Gotcha covered. At least at a base level, I pretty much stole the names from the IB wiki, so alter as you like. You know, assuming they survive.

I'm so proud of the Brits and really hope the Saxons don't ruin their moment in the sun.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I like your battle tactics of a couple of columns. I usually do the boring triple line with melee units and cav on flanks, but I'll try your method next. It looks like it gives more chance for successful flanking attacks.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
What religion is romano-britannia? Hellenic? Christian? Celtic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

NewMars posted:

What religion is romano-britannia? Hellenic? Christian? Celtic?

Hopefully all of the above!