Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Though I think a little bit of Red should fit in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Romance of the Three Romes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Seems like the best option, stronger than purple, nowhere near as strong as vanilla.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It would be a shame to lose that to a bunch of Saxons.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh man, Slavic Britain sounds cool, though just for interest I'm not sold on them being Arian. I'm tempted to change from Yellow to that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Edit: Changed vote to Slavic Takeover.

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 16, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

The Slavic Takeover
The initial Slavic migrations were welcomed by the Eastern Roman Empire, as it desperately needed recruits to try and stop the Sassanid advance on Anatolia, and in return for their service in the army, many Slavs were allowed to settle in the provinces of Thrace and Illyria. Over the decades, Slavs came to dominate the army, as more and more Eastern provinces were lost and the Greek elites were reluctant to enter military service.
It was the domination of the empire's army that would secure the Slavic domination of the empire.
After a botched coup in the early 500's the Slavic generals, nominally working in the name of the boy-emperor of the time, began rooting out the Greek elites that had plotted to overthrow him. Those nobles would be replaced by former Slavic chiefs, which was the first taste for the Eastern Romans of what was to come in the next centuries.
This process culminated in the early 700s, when a Slavic general successfully usurped the crown and styling himself Tiberius and gaining control over the entire empire.
In game terms, the ERE stretches up to the Danube and its northern half is firmly Slavic, while the Greeks have been reduced mostly to Attica. The reigning emperor is Slavic, but the cohabitation of Greeks and Slavs in the empire means that they are in the process of developing a new syncretic culture (melting pot events).

Changing from Blue to this.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I don't know why but I'm very curious about the Jasi. I assume they're Iranic or Slavic settlers in the Carpathian Basin, is there any more information about them you can give? The Carantanians too, I guess.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

They were a tribe hanging out in Illyria, a subgroup of Pannonians from what Wiki tells me.

Merdifex posted:

They're one of the oldest Slavic groups to reach Central Europe. Their arrival there may predate the break-up of the Slavic language, even. I'm surprised that they survive as they were, but by now their language is probably closer to West Slavic languages.

Oh, well that'll teach me to not look them up before I ask, I assumed they were new cultures for the mod.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

Important question, will all 72 provinces of the Gamarantes be represented Accurately in game?

When I noticed they were in Attila, my eye twitched a little.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Gothia embraces heresy, and Belgica is all but destroyed! We are reduced to an Imperial lapdog, a slave of the accursed House of Lepidoso! I would drat you King Gabriel, if you had not already done it yourself! May your reign be short, may your sons die in the crib, and may your deeds be erased from history!

I swear to God you were just saying we should convert from Arianism. I'm starting to suspect that you might just be wildly contrarian!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Death engulfs us all, someday. But no, I'm okay. As Mr. Morgenstern has said, work's gotten me a bit busy. Middle schoolers, you know.

I'll get something nice and good written up by the end of this week though, so help me God.

To be fair, the little bastards are basically death of one kind or another.

I may just be bitter that while visiting my family my cousins got me sick twice in as many months.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Iwerddon? I take it the Britons have the Kingdom of Ireland now? I hope they manage to reform Celtic Paganism, that'd be cool.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Why do the Umayyads have a Germanic eagle in their CoA?

I have that going on in my game too for some reason. Not sure why either, the mods I'm running haven't touched flags at all.

Edit: All the cool poo poo that can happen makes me excited for when we can get out hands on the mod too. I'd love to play around in GothWorld.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Pagan Britain, no.

Also, Slavic Denmark, no. When did Kirur or his descendants lose it? Or did they culture convert themselves?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

I didn't read that after CK2 ended, what happened?

We loving burned Denmark to the ground, that's what.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fox Ironic posted:

Once we inherit the WRE we should move the capital to Carthage and convert to Zoroastrianism.

I will be 100% ok with Celtic Pagan Britain not being a thing anymore if we can make Zoroastrian Britain. Back in Attila I noticed one of the maps said there was a small amount of Manicheans over there, make find one of them and put them in charge of everything.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I will also accept Older Gods worshipping Britain.

Also, drat, we are looking very WRE right now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

God, you just can't keep the bloody Saxons off the Isles, can you?

Sad that Stonehenge is gone, but I am hyped about Seljuk.

Are there not fireworks smilies? I feel like Seljuk needs them around his name. Like when a band shows up and all the sparklers go off and then the band murders the opening act and founds an empire.

Randarkman posted:

We should make a betting pool on Seljuk's religion.

I'm holding out on some form of Judaism.

Going to go for the longshot here.

Muism.

Edit: vv I would love that. Masterful siege engineer pacifists is a great combo. Shame it's dead by this point in out timeline.

catlord fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 20, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Alas, Druidic Britain. I'm curious about Ireland. Are they becoming Briton, or is there going to be some sorta reverse Pictish-Scottish melting pot thing going on there?

Anyway, I know it's not really one of our goals, but I think we should stomp the Franks' poo poo in. Unless they're basically just Dutch now, I can live with the Dutch.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ikasuhito posted:

Bout had a heart attack when I scrolled pass this

Edit. Update on previous page.

I stared at it for a while before it clicked in my head.

Ofaloaf posted:

also, I couldn't figure out a good way to mention it, but the Jomsvikings have been lurking around on the Baltic coast forever, and during this last chapter I noticed that their shield on the map looked a little different...

They're still a Norse holy order though.

How does... any of that work?

Also hope that the Jewish Seljuks become a thing rather than a one-off.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

[...]but the cultural melting pot for Jerusalem doesn't fire for the Byzantine culture group, so throw them to the Turks I say.

That sounds like more of an excuse to add in another melting pot to me. I am also glad the Vlachs are thriving.

What's up with Volga Armenia? I don't remember hearing about them before, did I forget or is that new?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I was pondering different paths the reformation could take and thought a more heavily organised take on Christianity inspired by Celtic Monasticism would be interesting, then wondered if there was a place in GothWorld like the British Isles in the real world where something like that could develop.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Awesome. It's been a while since we looked at the British Isles, they're dominated by Brittonic speakers, right? Looking back I had completely forgotten about the Brithenig speakers, are they all gone? Ireland's been Brittonic for a while, right? Has a kinda reverse Pictish-Scottish thing happened with them?

I'm a little surprised that Judaism didn't take as much hold as I expected. I expected a whole lot of light blue in the Middle East, that's going to be interesting.

Randarkman posted:

e: Will ears and/or the phrase 'et audit' find its way into the flag of Romania? That would be pretty unique

Man, when we get to Vic2 or HoI4 the Romanian Secret Police are going to be interesting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

And here I was about to suggest making the HRE equivalent as The United Kingdom of the British Isles, which, at the time being, is neither united, a kingdom, nor British. I forget was there ever /really/ a major potentially unifying power in the area? Heck did anything notable happen there ever? It's been a mess of tiny countries as long as I can remember

Back in Attila it got unified but there's less provinces in that game. Fairly early in CK2 there was a large country that was most of England, Wales and Scotland. I think Briton Ireland was once far more expansive than it is now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

also is that the same country that seems to own like, vienna, warsaw, and the place north of crimea? who the heck are those jerks, the dark purple ones

Lithuania just above them has the same issue.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

StrifeHira posted:

I don't quite see Japan going full Muslim (though that is quite a twist), but it might be neat if it ends up taking aspects of the faith with other things and ends up developing something completely new.

Zensunni?

I don't see Islam making any sort of impression in Asia at all. In East Africa, sure, but it was pretty limited even at its height. I imagine that Manichaeism would have even more of an impact there than in the real world. I thought I'd heard that Manichaeism was pretty hostile to Judaism, is that accurate and if so, what does that mean for a lot of these areas that have decently large Manichaean populations with Jewish leaders?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vrastan works, I'd probably go with whatever the Armenian name for Circassia is.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

This cultural situation could be translated into EU4 in a couple of different ways, the way I see it. Now mind you, I'm not asking for a Goon Vote right now, I'm just trying to lay out the options I've mulled over, and I'd really like to hear other takes on it if you got one you'd like to share:
Keep Everything Exactly As It Is, More Or Less
    Keep the cultures more or less exactly as they are, but chop them up into smaller regional bits. Either Brithenig and Briton can share the same culture group, or they can be split into Celtic for Briton and a new Brithenig group for the Brithenig cultures, so that the setup ends up being something like
    • Brythonic Culture Group (maybe)
    • Welsh (for Wales. Could be in Celtic culture group)
    • Hibernaidd (for Ireland. Could be in Celtic group)
    • Some sort of Scottish Welsh culture for the Welsh in Scotland (Could be in the Celtic broup)
    • Cumbric (for Brithenig Cumbria. Could be in a general 'Brithenig' culture group)
    • Loegric (for Brithenig Loegria. Could be in a general 'Brithenig' group)
    • Some sort of Scottish Brithenig for the Brithenig in Scotland (Could be in the Celtic group)

I'd go with this, but then again, I'm not the one making all the cultures and stuff. My first instinct is to not split the culture groups, but actually thinking about it, I'd go ahead and do it. It seems like that'd be an interesting gameplay wrinkle.

Also, looking forward to grabbing GothMod, I'm excited to play that.

Edit: Upon looking at GothMod, it looks like Brithenig were always in a separate culture group, I'd go with that, yeah.

catlord fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 30, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

1 C
2 B
3 C
4 C
5 B

I also think a touch of B in number 3 would be neat. Also some of B in 4 makes sense to me as well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fox Ironic posted:

What happens if GTL's more advanced West Africans colonize the West Indies? Will we get a reverse triangle where Native populations are shipped back to Europe/Africa?

This certainly won't replace the American slave trade. Oh god.

Was Option B a vote for MORE slavery? What have I done? :smithicide:

If I remember things right, that got tried a couple times in OTL, but it never worked out. Mostly disease, if I remember right. I can't imagine it would work any better in Gothworld.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

More than one.

Yesss

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Weren't the Traki a Slavic culture? I notice they seem to be in a different group than the Vlachika and those guys. Also, what's that one province up in the Baltic, on the coast between the Lithuanians and the Latvians? And, finally, what's Pestemari (the name, I know they're Slavic crusaders) come from?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Huh, looks like Tina took Scotland.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gnostic Knights... if they die, does that mean we'll get a Blind Dead reference or two later on? 'Cause I know that'd amuse me to no end.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mogholistan? I can't wait to find out more about them.

Also, going to go with The Orthodox League. We can't let our buddies down!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I love the comparisons between real history and LP history.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I saw Selatan and had a moment before I read that paragraph. It never occurred to me (or I forgot?) that it was a real word.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hm. That's... a little worrying, but hey, we'll be fine I'm sure.

What does Europe look like culturally and religiously right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Thanks! I'm surprised by Hindu Persia, I don't think we've heard a whole lot about much past Mesopotamia. Also, drat, Pequot. Speaking of the Norwegians, are they all over regular Norway and the only place their name fits is in Kola? Or are things not going great for them in Europe either?