Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We should totally prop up a new, Pagan Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Green Wing posted:

Total war games tend to be very easy to blob over the whole map, how will you protect against this so that you're not an invincible Empire long before ck2?

Don't and just break the Empire up in the centuries between by fiat.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You need to solidify France soon in any case or otherwise it looks like a British nightmare is going to rise out of the ocean, and no amount of seashell collecting will save you.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It should probably be made certain that the Mongols can settle in as Zoros, considering the Muslim push East isn't going to happen.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Boo, stop messing up our rad, pagan Britain!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Personally I think that there should be no head of the Arian faith UNLESS we can setup some kind of decision where if say, maybe if we're an Emperor who holds all of Italy and Greece along with a third Kingdom (France in our case), we could declare the Gothic Emperor the head of faith and take the Fylkir/Caliph role.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New ck2 expansion is about Steppe Nomads.
https://youtu.be/v5pIdN4iSZk

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Maybe they'll be more interesting than a series of boring doomstacks inevitably spawned by fiat!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think it was the Hansa thread which had multiple special multiplayer updates to shake up Europe, and there's the HRE thread which is entirely multiplayer.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Please put up the eventual religious status of Britannia up for vote so I can futilely vote for a celtic-hellenic syncretism

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What's the WRE's claim to legitimacy anyway? Did the Emperor flee Italy? Who runs Italy now, a resurgent Senate? Having it be a republic in ck2 would be interesting.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

zephyr42 posted:

I just... I just want to see some strong non-Christian, non-Muslim (maybe?) kingdoms on the map when the game starts.

This is why I back pagan Britain/maybe Italy and Zoro Persia.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Merdifex posted:

The former has been ruined for us through Arian missioaries sent by Ofaloaf. It seems that Italia is somewhat Greco-Roman but it's hard to see that lasting.

You could always say the pagans pushed back in the interim.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They're Separatist. If they were run by some barbarian General Ricimer style, I would buy Romania, but it seems more believable that we're looking at more of a Third Centuryesque three semi-hostile empires situation. Well at least Hispania and Italy are hostile, both would probably be seeking recognition as partners from the East for legitimacy.

E: man that super republic sounds awesome but also op as gently caress, don't know if oflaf will go for it

gently caress it, I vote for lunacy.

GunnerJ posted:

tl;dr: United Republic of Roman Republics!

The separatists were largely motivated by opposition to the growing "dominate" style of Roman imperial government, under which Rome actually functioned as an empire, rather than preserving the fiction of a republic united under a "first among equals," as had been the style of government during the so-called "principate" period. They were not, at first, "republicans" in any sense we or the actual pre-Caesar Roman Republic would recognize. They favored a strong Senate and an "Imperator" who truly ruled as princeps inter pares, ironically making their government a precursor to later parliamentary monarchies. Over time, though, this would evolve into a new republican ideology. The "Roman Principality" by the middle ages was a confederation of republics that prospered on trade and conquest.

The "Italia" empire-level title becomes the "Roman Empire" which functions on HRE rules but is composed of republics rather than feudal realms. If possible, the elected holder of the empire title remains a patrician, lending the name "Roman Principality" to the realm. Otherwise I guess the Imperator can function as the head of a feudal realm with a bunch of republic vassals, sounds like a good system!!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 11, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Since the big push seems to be for unified Italy maybe the vote should actually just be between the Papal Super State, the Republican Italy, and Rome.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Axum at the end of Atilla is basically Absynnia in ck2

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

This dude knows what's up.

All the romes

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I want some Roman colonies off in America and this seems the way to go, though I do think the capital should have moved somewhere more central in these three hundred years.

I dunno, it's kind of fittingly Dominatey to have your Emperor so isolated he rules the land from a remote island Super Stronghold.

By the by Of, if this wins you should alter Sardinia into a tricked out super province ala Constantinople.

E: well iirc ck2 has Sardinia as two counties but you know what I mean.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Patter Song posted:

That which is long united must divide...and Ofaloaf must do everything he can to prevent that which is long divided from uniting.

Or unite it in a beautiful, more Gothic form.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

E: but it should reign supreme over the whole peninsula, preferably entirely one branch

I like the idea of each powerhouse having its own pet religion, barring the shared Orthodoxy of the ERE and WRE.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 13, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

E:never mind

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 14, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What did the Byzantines even end with?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So many out to betray Axum.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Byzlam is dumb.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fox Ironic posted:

Far from it actually. Even with Blue, Islam will be much more limited than OTL. A strong Zoroastrian Persia and Christian North Africa will create a very interesting dynamic.

The problem with Blue is it pushes the Miaphysites down into the West African AI Will Never Do Anything zone.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Let's see how Roman we can get. :allears:

What he said

Randarkman posted:

What about religion-wise? Do we assume the triumph of Arianism or will the spread of Christianity be a separate vote entirely?

No please, let's have a big pagan pushback. Hellenic-Celtic syncretism.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Friends, Romans, countrymen, you must drive these barbarians back to Cardiff

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just want a gigantic blob boxing ring. Plus we're Gothic Rome fanboys, it's our goal to stitch the Empire back together, just with us in charge.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah that's the thing, Yellow isn't a vote for Italian Genocide, it's a vote for druids in togas running a unified island nation.

E: also breaking up Imperial Britannia eliminates our greatest rival.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 15, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We could compromise and say that Roman power had receeded such that they lost, say, all of Ireland and Wales (both unified under a native King) and about half of Scotland (several dukes?), but they still hold England and half of Scotland. Their leader should still be the Britannian Emperor though, because that's what he'd be hailed as at the height of his power at Atilla's end.

E: Or pull it back to giving Britannia Cornwall and most of England, Wales gets... Wales, Southern Scotland, and an English land bridge, and Ireland is itself+Northern Scotland.

Mann is independent.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 15, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ZearothK posted:

What she said.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

5 romes. We've done it you guys.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

sheep-dodger posted:

The Slavic Takeover
The initial Slavic migrations were welcomed by the Eastern Roman Empire, as it desperately needed recruits to try and stop the Sassanid advance on Anatolia, and in return for their service in the army, many Slavs were allowed to settle in the provinces of Thrace and Illyria. Over the decades, Slavs came to dominate the army, as more and more Eastern provinces were lost and the Greek elites were reluctant to enter military service.
It was the domination of the empire's army that would secure the Slavic domination of the empire.
After a botched coup in the early 500's the Slavic generals, nominally working in the name of the boy-emperor of the time, began rooting out the Greek elites that had plotted to overthrow him. Those nobles would be replaced by former Slavic chiefs, which was the first taste for the Eastern Romans of what was to come in the next centuries.
This process culminated in the early 700s, when a Slavic general successfully usurped the crown and styling himself Tiberius and gaining control over the entire empire.
In game terms, the ERE stretches up to the Danube and its northern half is firmly Slavic, while the Greeks have been reduced mostly to Attica. The reigning emperor is Slavic, but the cohabitation of Greeks and Slavs in the empire means that they are in the process of developing a new syncretic culture (melting pot events).

Changing from blue to this.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The HRE mechanics preclude being Holy, Roman, or an Empire. We're talking about a Greco-Slavic federation. They're technically Constantine's heirs but other than that they fit.

Or whatever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Africa is questionable but Britannia is absolutely a Rome, they'd have hailed an Augustus and they dominate the isles, making them as strong a contender as any of the others. WE aren't a Rone, but we want to be.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fox Ironic posted:

Do the British consider themselves to be Roman? Will they be an Empire like the WRE, HRE or ERE? Or will they fracture into Duchies/Kingdoms?

See also Africa. Narratively the notion that these powers just might consider themselves to be amidst a centuries long civil war is pretty hilarious.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought that voted ended up with the Romans in Britain merely hanging on in (parts of) Britain, rather than dominating it?

I think Of said he'd be coming up with a compromise.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Merd, buddy, you have to chill out a bit.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Russian Double Eagle clutching a gyro and a block of feta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh my god