Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Mega-Sassanids make me happy and I hope they continue to blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Oooh I hope we get a lasting Romano-Maghreb.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

What hope is there that with a possible strong Zoroastrian empire remaining that they'll get some converts in that region of the world? Possible Manichaenism might also be stronger.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I think someone mentioned that Zoroastrians aren't big on proselytizing, so it won't be a big Zoro blob. I can imagine powerful Zoro states in Persia and the 'stans, but more Nestorians and Miaphysites in the western part of the Persian empire. Maybe we'll have some Manichean Steppe Nomads. Manichean Mongols. :getin:

I would imagine some small realms might convert in the hopes that it would please the mega-blob. Presuming Sassanids stay united.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Patter Song posted:

While we're on this topic, it's worth pointing out that we could well be looking at a Sassanid Persia that is majority Christian under Zoroastrian rule, given how standoffish and caste-y the Zoroastrians were. I think there's a good chance that we could end up with a Persia that is something like 55% Christians of various stripes, 30% Zoroastrian, 10% Jewish (Sassanian Persia had a huge population of Jews), and 5% Manichean/Other or so going into CK2, under an uncomfortably precarious Zoroastrian rule. The figures get even worse if you posit a successful Mazdakite breakoff fracturing Zoroastrianism.

EDIT: Also worth pointing out that the IRL Sassanids weren't too friendly with Christians who followed the orthodoxy because they suspected them of being potential Roman 5th columnists but were perfectly fine with Oriental Orthodox/Nestorian Christians who rejected Chalcedon (and who probably hated the Romans more than the Persians themselves did). That might not be as much of a factor given that the Eastern Roman Empire seems to be on its last legs, but I kind of like the idea of Monophysites and Nestorians being some of the largest faith groups in a Zoroastrian-ruled empire.

Are we? I was under the impression that during this point of time Iran proper was almost entirely zoroastrian. Or are we talking about the territories outside of Iran that the Sassanids own? But despite that I was also under the impression that the population density of Iran proper in this time period was quite high.

I would imagine that, despite not being a proselytizing religion, you're going to get conversions under centuries of solid rule if they keep going strong so it might put things more into their favour. Certainly a very strong Christian presence, yes, but perhaps more along the lines of a plurality.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Patter Song posted:

There was a pretty large Jewish and Christian presence in the Sassanid Empire anyway (certainly greater than 25% put together), and with them taking over heavily populated areas like Antioch (third-largest city in the Roman Empire) and the parts of Anatolia they've grabbed it's probably enough to put them over, especially if the Sassanids take Egypt, which would definitely put Zoroastrians in the minority.

EDIT: Remember, Christians are going to be aggressively proselytizing ordinary Iranians in the Empire and Zoroastrianism was very much a sect for the elites, with little to offer commoners that could rival Christianity's promise of everlasting life after death.

Huh, that does make me feel like perhaps mainline Zoroastrianism might drift closer to Mazdaism practices in an effort to maintain the commoner Iranian populace by having some tenants appealing to them.

I would also imagine Gnostic Christianity would be the most appealing to previously Zoroastrian Iranians.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 24, 2015

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I still think we're being a little too harsh on Zoroastrianism's staying power as a religion - it's at the very least organised enough to attempt to fight back against conversion. I still feel like Iran proper will have a majority of Zoroastrians, albeit perhaps with some changes in their tenants. The rest of the empire to the west, which is quite considerable at this point, does seem ripe for Christianity and Judaism, the bits which aren't already.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Merdifex posted:

Outside of blobbing, what is there?

We only hate the blobs because we envy them so, but when we are them, what's there not to like?

Ah, but it is the envy of the blob that is true paradise. It is better to be the morsel looking on at the blob, than the blob looking outwards.

Although there is also maintaining pretty borders.

But in general you want at least one nice fighting partner or paradox games become boring as gently caress.

But the transition time should mean we have some nice people to fight. Britain, notably, looks like a good candidate for a nemesis.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Man I wish we could have a better idea of how religions are doing rather than if a province has two competing faiths.

And I think this is the first time I noticed this, but the WRE separatists are pagan? That's... a big deal.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I mean, if it was really necessary I could go through all the provs tonight and take screenshots, but then I'd probably start crying, and tomorrow I'm going on a trip and won't be near a computer capable of running Attila until Saturday or Sunday.

They aren't, Greco-Roman paganism is just the second-strongest faith in Italy (what else would be second-strongest?) so it shows up as the other stripe, regardless if it's second-strongest with 40% of the population following it or 7%.

Southern Italy is predominantly pagan because Italia is still pagan and I would guess that they have temples and are spamming priests like mad, and since they've only one settlement, all their priests are clustered there, which means that they have a massive conversion pull in the area.

I didn't mean it as a suggestion, I realise that would be ridiculous.

Ah, I forgot Italia existed when I looked at the religious map. Well it'd be cool to have a CK2 start date province with Hellenism.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The Scourge of God's legacy is a revered one - it inspires awe and envy. The future of the region will find people vie for the reputation as his successor like many in the west attempt to claim the title of Rome.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I like the idea of Romania in Italy, let's go with that.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

A Trinity of Romes.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

A sort of-ish indication of naval supremacy could be, if they have an island capital, good fortifications on it. Not a very good implication but it might be nice.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

A diversity of faiths yet still allows for another strong presence in the Mediterranean. Rome can't have all the fun!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Man votes are pretty close. I'm guessing we'll get Byzlam and Blue since they're not incompatible? I just want a lovely Zoroastrian Persia.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ibadi sounds like the best solution, although Blue is currently winning.

But, if Byzlam were to exist, following an Ibadi faith - it can be interpreted as one that would work more cohesively with a large non-Islamic population, less centred on Arabic as an ethnicity and can reject the rights of a Caliph as a spiritual leader.

Perhaps, potentially going into Too Many Romes territory, you could make Byzlam's home in the Anatolian areas where the Empire was lost.

Personally I'd prefer just Blue.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Sounds interesting, although Orange is cool too.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 15, 2015

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

With the addition of

Greeks in Crimea

Some of the displaced greeks from the bulgars did not flee south, but instead sailed to a Crimean colony established in the past century. This influx of population and a declining empire saw the local administrators become quite powerful and able to claim an independent state. This state saw itself focusing on the wealth its location in the black sea could provide and eventually ruled by the merchant class.

Crimea will have a merchant republic with its de jure boundaries with either greek or Byzantine-belonging culture

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

What do you call a Grecoslav/Slavicgreek?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

A Roman, what else? :confused:

Pfffft, what kind of Romans wouldn't have Rome? That's silly.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

There's still one vote to go, isn't there? Perhaps that will be an opportunity for a merchant republic.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

A Crusader's Eire :hist101:

Bringing Orthodoxy to the Isles.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

This is looking to be a really fun set-up to play through. De jure kingdoms set up is also different?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Merdifex posted:

I think a few others would agree with me that A: TW does a pretty bad job of emulating the pressures the Sassanids faced historically. I think it would be really difficult to hold on to Anatolia, even if not being pushed back by the Greeks, they were pushed back by the Arabs in this scenario. It seems reasonable to me that the Islamic expansion would be a death blow to Sassanid suzerainty over Mesopotamia and Anatolia. I don't know how they would have defended Persia proper, but that's what people voted for.

Well this universe's Sassanids faced a far lesser amount of threats than ours. Instead of multiple bloody civil-wars, war with the ERE as well as pressure from the north AND THEN an Arab invasion they faced multiple local insurrections (likely a lot less bloody and costly than the civil wars) and presumable pressure from the north still occasionally (although maybe less in this timeline due to turkic migration west). Due to having a lot more of their manpower still available and most of their military intact, when the Arabs came and fought they were only able to push them back to Baghdad.

This is a universe where the Sassanids were able to hold onto their power far more effectively. I don't see why it's hard to imagine them keeping Persia proper.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I would like to petition our liege for a better coat of arms :colbert:

Unless of course that isn't possible

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Change the kingdom's coat of arms? But it's traditional!

I meant his family's coat of arms. A dynasty that leads the Goths should have something with fire in it!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Bah, a minor set-back. Succession laws can be changed! And maybe they will have a son before then anyway.

More concerning is the future of our faith. Our MA is going to struggle forever. So much heresy. So much.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah, there's one set of pentarchal sites and one set only, so I couldn't create a special pentarchy just for Arianism.

Granted, the actual holy sites for Arianism aren't that hot either, but at least they're in the west and not Alexandria and Antioch and such.

Oh cool, where abouts are they? I'm guessing one in Gothia and one in Britain?

Edit: Ah I see it in the religious map. Well that's much better. Just gotta go beat up one of the Romes at some point.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The Holy Realm of the Immortals is the best thing ever and they are now my favourite realm.

I hope they go on to carving a sizeable realm by themselves. Servants of Angra Mainyu beware!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Now THAT was a war. I'm sure future Goths will be making adaptations.

Child kings are either a blessing or a curse. If they survive their infancy, those extra years on the throne really do help with prestige and vassal relations.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

This makes me curious, any chance we could get a screenshot of the religion stats at the moment? Wondering what the MA of the different branches of Christianity are at the moment.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Welp, better prepare for a Zoroastrian Levantine.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

willing to settle posted:

I wonder about a Zoroastrianism going forward. Wasn't it a fairly elite focused religion? And I wonder how much Muslim peasants and whatnot would actually be really interested in converting to this very Iranian faith. I imagine there would have to be significant reform pressure in the Zoroastrian world (and indeed there were people that did try to reform it in history) to make it more populist.

I would think that one alteration that could be made to Zoroastrianism is more contention on the certainty of good's victory during the final judgement - and due to this uncertainty a focus on proselytizing could be born. You want more virtuous souls to ensure that good is victorious. It seems to me a reasonable theological change in Zoroastrianism to account for their success in other populaces as well as slightly less focus on Iran and Iranian culture in general. Of course Iranian culture is always going to be highly significant for the religion.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

January 4, 837:

What is that big darkish-grey blob atop the Sassanids?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Zoroastrian Africa is the future :colbert:

Also what culture/religion are Cherson? They seem to be doing well.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

That is a powerful celtic Britain we have on our hands there.

Guess we'll have to redouble our efforts for their salvation :hist101:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I quite like Uib's green horse. I hope if they stay in power (as a consolation prize for if they are not liberated by the faith, of course) it can be a British symbol.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

....So trade is going to be more interesting now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ohhhh, looks like Islam took a bit out of the Persians.... that lil' stalemate appears to be blowing in a different direction now.