Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

sniper4625 posted:

What is Rome?

amica don't hurt me

don't hurt me

no more

At this point, I think the question is irrelevant. By the point CK2 picks up, "Romanness" was something that characterized cities and urban areas across the former empire (except, increasingly, in Islamic territories) rather than states. Even the Byzantines, the only direct successors to the old empire, were speaking Greek and using a fundamentally different governing apparatus at that point. On the other hand, the various barbarian states in the west often inherited Imperial culture and adopted it wholesale: the Ostrogoths simply co-opted the Dominate government, replacing the military side of the administration with their own people while preserving the civilian side; the Visigoths did much the same while promoting and supporting Hispano-Roman culture; and the Franks, who could somewhat legitimately claim to be the local successors to Rome (they ruled the lower Rhine for the Romans for decades), happily fused their upper class with that of the locals over several centuries and continued Dominate-style government right up until the Revolution.

In this world, with so many different states claiming descent from the Roman Empire, there's no one government you could point to and say "that's the one". I expect that the only people who care about the question in this universe are those at the top of the power structure; to everyone else, the answer is "whoever rules over me at this particular moment." Some states have more direct claims than others, sure, but unlike the Eastern Roman Empire in our history, there's no one at the top of the totem pole. Even Gothia is Romanized as gently caress, while the direct successors each have evolved in ways the others can claim make them illegitimate.

It isn't that we have so many Romes. It's that we have no Romes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Huh. Looks like Byzlam went under.

Pity.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Huh, nobody's posted here in a while. I hope you're not dead, Ofaloaf, because I want further updates to After the End.

Could you give us a quick rundown on the major powers beyond the view of western Europe? I know there's no way the Goths now about them, but I'd still like to.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

:rip: Ofaloaf: The Gothonomicon drove him insane.

Not that you have to be sane to post on Something Awful.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Rodyle posted:

The Moabadan-Moabad is never not a complete rear end in a top hat about borders. When I Restored the Empire as the Karens the first thing he did was declare a GHW for Greece, despite my never having gone to war with the Byz. I had to spend centuries cleaning up Anatolia!

Bizarrely enough, I had a Moabadan-Moabad do the same thing twice, despite the fact that my borders didn't touch Anatolia. A later one declared war on Africa, so, I guess unusual GHW targets connect Zoroastrians across time and space.