Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

Clearly we need to take over the 2nd Rome first.

It's only logical.

Take over both Romes and become Triple-Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There is a lot of debate over the exact numbers of people involved in a lot of ancient battles, though for some we actually have very accurate records from one or more sides so there were definitely some battles where tens of thousands of people met in combat. How common battles involving numbers that big were is very hotly argued about however with some historians thinking it wasn't uncommon and others thinking it was very abnormal.

That said, the game's troop counts are a bit low. It would be pretty nice if instead of making the troops prettier CA focused a bit of effort into making the engine more efficient at running large numbers of troops.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well another thing is of course that some really big battles lasted multiple days as far as anyone can tell with the two armies basically forting up opposite each other while a semi-permanent skirmish happened between them. Again how often this happened is hotly debated but there are a few reliable sources that indicate it definitely did happen a few times.

The Rome engine isn't really equipped to deal with something like that, but if done properly it could potentially be quite interesting to have proper battles rather than the large fracas we get at the moment.

Obviously having every fight like that would be hideous, and I have no idea how you'd implement it but it's something to think about with regards to Rome and meatspace ancient warfare.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 27, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah even so soon it's pretty obvious that the world is going to look very different from the normal CK2 start.

Missing out on Egyptian Visigoths is just a drat shame though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Use an orange outline around the bird, will look better than black.

Pea posted:

It looks more like an orange to me.
...and thus, the seeds of the next civil war were planted.

The Citrus Wars began in 512 and did not finish until the late 1300s when both houses agreed that the symbol could be an Orange and a Grapefruit at the same time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

PBJ posted:

So something like this, then?

Little thicker and darker, try the same colour orange as behind the arrows and about another pixel of width to the outline.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah I could imagine someone waving that around as a coat of arms. The bird does look silly but then again some old coats of arms were pretty goddamn silly looking.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

PBJ posted:

It actually looks similar to the House of Sverker's CoA, except with a raven instead of a dragon.

I just looked that one up and hahahaha that is supposed to be a dragon?

How on earth did people ever take some of these coats of arms seriously.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the Sassanids are Zoroastrian, which is also one of the best if not the best religion in the entire game :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What're you talking about guys, Islam will just pop up under whatever religion controls Arabia. :downs:

But what if Muhammad is born Jewish? :v:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 6, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

i81icu812 posted:

So the Roman Empire is razed to the ground and the barbarians in the north are the bastions of settled civilization? Seems counter-intuitive....

That is kind of what happened though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sometimes I really wonder what it must have been like to live in the ~6th century surrounded by all the old Roman buildings that in all likelihood no-one knows how to build anymore.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Luhood posted:

I'm not sure how close #3 is to OTL, but I like the idea nontheless!

That sort of stuff happened all the time, at one point Odin and Thor became melded with God and Jesus respectively for example. This audiobook talks about that and other 'dark ages' things that went down and some of them are pretty amazing. And of course that's not even getting into Odin's modern-day incarnation; Santa Claus.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Merdifex posted:

Sunset Invasion

You find the concept of an Aztec Empire reverse-engineering Viking boat-building techniques to launch an invasion of Europe to be implausible? :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Alternately the Goths might strangle the Karlings while they're still in the womb and ensure that lineage never comes to exist :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I guess that would make the land Gothia instead of Francia, or possibly Gothica? I'm not quite sure how that works linguistically.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I see, so yeah assuming that Ofaloaf doesn't decide to migrate somewhere else (which is entirely possible, I've had games where I ended up migrating five times) we'll be getting a Gothia instead of a Francia.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
How about we leave it up to Ofaloaf to decide when someone needs to stop backseat modding? I think he can probably handle that responsibility; he seems like a reliable and competent person.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Rodyle posted:

New ck2 expansion is about Steppe Nomads.
https://youtu.be/v5pIdN4iSZk

Interesting, presumably the Mongols are going to get even more terrifying.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
After five loving years standing outside those walls they just wanted to go home.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's not fear that the Karlings inspire; it's hatred because they are just loving impossible to get rid of and they always manage to screw up something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Look at those fuckin' bonuses. What did the Karlings ever do to deserve bonuses like that? Nothing that's what :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dublish posted:

I want every Rome faction to have separatists, and the separatists to have separatists of their own. There will be more Romes than there are Alexandrias.

Fractal Rome is the best Rome. It's Romes all the way down!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's also worth keeping in mind that the Roman Empire probably had very little excess food available, especially the WRE with its hideous mismanagement and corruption. Only a fairly small reduction in overall food production could have produced massive famines throughout the cities even if the actual loss of yield was only a few percent overall.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Vikings in India is really only slightly more impressive than Vikings in America; India would be a longer trip but it wouldn't require any open ocean sailing since you could coast hop all the way there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Avoiding open ocean sailing is a really big deal though; in fact during that era for anyone but the Vikings it was totally impossible since they had invented the means by which you could navigate without sighting land and even they had issues with sailing further than Greenland.

That said, an overland trip or even a coast hopping trip down to Persia would have plenty of its own perils, but at least you don't have to worry about open ocean sailing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah I excluded the Maori since they won't really have any impact on European history until well after the Vikings are gone :v:

I'm not sure a bunch of Vikings would be 'defenseless' but yes a trip to Persia is pretty drat impressive, just not quite as impressive as a trip to Canada.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The irony is that as silly as it sounds people totally did sometimes carry their boats across certain areas of land so they could boat on a different bit of water.

I can't imagine it was done very often, or with very large boats however.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't know if the Vikings ever did it specifically but I'm fairly sure there are at least a few recorded accounts of people sailing up a river to a certain location and then carrying their boats overland (possibly pulling said boats on log rollers or carts first?) to a different body of water.

I suspect it was probably only done regularly by people with relatively small boats, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone desperate once tried it with big ones.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well there you go the Vikings did indeed do it after all :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Supposedly IRL it was actually a fairly profitable and well traveled trade route, which I think is amazing. :allears:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sometimes I wonder why exactly we decided the best way to simulate technological progress was 'pay a bunch of dudes to read scrolls really hard until they invent gunpowder.' :catstare:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The ole' Billy Goat Gruff defense, a sound strategy.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Byzantines still aren't as absurd as the (real) Holy Roman Empire, which was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire :v:

At least they were actually East of Rome, making one part of their name correct.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Lord Cyrahzax is the Opposition; he opposes whatever is happening, that's what the Opposition is for after all :pseudo:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There is however a secret society of lp cultists that is definitely not a cabal.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Children are supposed to be hives of disease; that's how their immune system gets practice :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Makes sense, languages change with time too after all.