Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Neruz posted:

I just looked that one up and hahahaha that is supposed to be a dragon?

How on earth did people ever take some of these coats of arms seriously.

They didn't. It was just a sign of common noble courtesy not to laugh at another noble's crest the way you wouldn't want your own to be laughed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
While we may be far from the end still, if my eyes don't mistake me we currently have world where the Brythonians have kept the Angles, Saxons and Jutes off of the Isles, where the Sassanids have (or at least seem to) defeat the Greeks, and where Iberia never fell to the Visigoths (does that mean it is still Roman? Or does someone know what happened there before the Romans and the Visigoths came?)

This could shape up to be some crazy poo poo in CK2!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Personally my biggest quip is with Britain itself. I mean, how Roman was the isles during this time anyhow? I'd love for the Brythonic - not to mention Celtic and Pictish - citizen of Roman Brittania to rise up against these upstarts and show them who's boss.

That and I think we need way less Romes roaming around. Four is bad enough, we don't need a fifth pseudo-Rome in the isles.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
It's Romes all the way down.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

I never got a sense that Arians were that organizationally different from any other Christians at the time. Ambrose of Milan called their priests sacerdotes as opposed to episcopi, but Ambrose was a devout Nicene who probably didn't like legitimizing and recognizing Arians as equals, so that's a bit of an iffy source. Most contemporary sources were from an anti-Arian perspective, iirc, so that's doubly tricky to really figure out every nitty-gritty detail of Arianism. Judging from the Third Council of Toledo, it doesn't sound like it was that difficult to transfer Arian sees over to Catholic/Nicene control, so the organizational differences can't have been that vast.

To be fair, at this day and age there weren't really any greater differences between the Catholic and Orthodox churches to begin with, other than the west preaching in Latin and the east in Greek (I think). I mean, if the Sassanids continue the way they have Greece will probably call upon the West to do something about them sooner rather than later, which in turn will cause a non-Schism between the East and West. Seems more like a North-South split at this moment, with the south lying under the Pope and/or Patriarch and the North being more like our Medieval Orthodoxy with the Church lying under the respective states. Or something?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Fox Ironic posted:

Edit: Also, #3 could also be a way of incorporating pagan beliefs into Arian Theology. Turning Old Gods into new Saints imbued with the power of God to act upon the Earth in the form of Holy Spirits might be pretty easy to digest for a lot of Pagans.

I'm not sure how close #3 is to OTL, but I like the idea nontheless!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Fox Ironic posted:

So scrap the syncretic approach I take it. That leaves the question of what makes Gothic Arianism (or Brythonic Arianism, if our conversion efforts are successful) unique from Chalcedonian Christianity?

Well for one they (probably) don't accept the Pope as the Head of their faith. They don't preach in Latin but rather choose the language of the local populace (or at least OTL's first Gothic Bishop Ulfilas did), leading to the Gothic translation of the Bible. And what if we say that the Gothic King is the "Patriarch" of each Arian Church? Leading to a Caliph/Fylkir sort of thing? I dunno, could be cool perhaps?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Merdifex posted:

Gothic Christianity was Homoousian in it's conception of God and Jesus, that both were like in substance, but not quite one and the same. There was no concept of the "holy spirit" in the sense of the Catholic trinity where three persons constituted God and Jesus.

Could some Gothic Christians, in time, accept gnostic ideas of a sinful material world (and of the demiurge)? I don't know, their conception of creation is that it was by God himself, and not some lower, crasser entity like the demiurge. So the cultural proclivity to shun the material world is not very obvious, at least predicting from what I know. How Neoplatonic ideals (somewhat similar to gnosticism, but not quite) or the Manichean duality between bad and good could make its way to Gothia and become intertwined with their theology, I don't know.

It's important to understand that religious schisms were usually more political than they were based on theological disagreements. So we could look at the political borders we have right now, or religious leaders and such and predict how the church would split based on that.

Well, so far in a purely political standpoint the North-South split seems rather valid. With Britannia being mostly Pagan ATM and the Latin Romans constantly being all up in southern Gothia, having a split where us Goths refused to follow the Pope of the south would probably be all appropriate.

And if we look at the last known "State of the World":

Ofaloaf posted:

The world as we know it, circa Autumn 432.

Which, albeit soon 2 years old, shows that the ERE is slowly kicking the bucket. Most of the OTL important places of worship, including Alexandria, Antioch and Ephesus, are all out from Greek reach. (Well Alexandria is still free to be claimed but I think they are to busy with the Persians at the moment to notice)

So, like AJ_Impy and Fox Ironic said, I agree we probably look at a world where the still Orthodox Church doesn't split off the Nestorian, and possibly not even the Catholic. With the Greeks being in a much weaker state of power than they were OTL and the Latins being in a much stronger one I can neither see the Pope claiming supremacy nor the Patriarch of Constantinople desputing him. What this means for Christianity in the long run I can't really answer properly, not being as well read on matters of theology as I wished I could be, but I think it means that we'll have a Patriarch in Rome following the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople. Possibly one in Alexandria as well if the ERE manages to grab it and hold it over the coming 300 years or not, though with Egypt itself being as fertile as it is and Alexandria as important for trading-purposes I think the Sassinids have their eyes on the south too once they realize they can't cross the Bosphorus (if this actually is the case) and quickly go to solidify their rule over the ancient lands of the Nile.

The unified Orthodox Brother-Churches of Rome and Constantinople against the Barbarian North-West and Persian South-East is still valid guys!

Edit: Speaking of Egypt, who actually holds it? There is the state Egypt, should I assume those are a Roman Separatists state as well?

Luhood fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 23, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Fox Ironic posted:

Definitely agree with you on Attila's Empire disintegrating into successor states, but with a weaker Christianity in The Gothic Timeline so far (GTL?) than OTL, as well as a more devastated Central Europe even before Attila's arrival, I think there's a significant chance the interior of the continent is going to remain Pagan for a lot longer. That, and a Pagan Reformation or two during CK2 and we'll have a very religiously diverse Europe.

Or perhaps the other way around. With a weak Central Europe they'll have a bigger reason to seek Christ for salvation rather than their Pagan Deities who've obviously abandoned them. :catholic:

That said, I think a stronger Pagan presence in Germania fits better with our current :black101: narrative.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Neruz posted:

You find the concept of an Aztec Empire reverse-engineering Viking boat-building techniques to launch an invasion of Europe to be implausible? :v:

Well when you put it like that I guess it does sound kinda ridiculous, doesn't it? :v:

That said, I think the biggest issue currently around is trying to fit Narratives and Mechanics into a single whole. Personally I'm in the camp that the Mechanics and Narratives are two very different beasts, Mechanics merely being adaptations of the Narrative that doesn't literally reflect the "actual" events. I mean, the Viking invasions of Britannia was more gradual and not duchy-by-duchy based as the game portrays it, no?

As a greater example, take a standard Norse reformation. In mechanics as we all know we simply get hold of the right amount of Holy Sites, get enough Piety, and then push a button and overnight people start following the Fylkir's Runetomes. Ridiculous and ahistorical, I agree. However, assume this is not actual events but merely a mechanical portrayal of them.

All the time you spent gathering enough Piety? This was you sending out your personal emissaries and missionaries to far off influential High Priests, trying to convince them that your idea is a good one and that we need to unite under a solidified Text in order to resist the Cross-worshippers from the south.

Conquering the Holy Sites? They're held by important priests you need to more or less personally convince that not only is your rule just, it is your bloodline who are chosen by Odin to be his emissary in Midgard. Or they could just be vital places of Worship you need to control in order to perform the correct rites (compare to Stonehenge for the Druids (even though this may technically not be correct)).

Pushing the button and people transforming overnight? Just mechanics! In actuality this is the by future historians agreed-upon date when your rule became law, when enough of your people and fellow Norsemen had started following your rules and Runebooks that your authority as Fylkir and chosen of the Asa-gods is true, when those who stick to the old ways are in minority, etc.

In truth many a mechanic could be narrated this way. I mean, tons of things are strange when taken in a historical context. I just think that rather than changing the mechanics to fit history we could just change the way we translate those mechanics into a narrative. Specially when it regards to things as strange as Mongols not taking any attrition, Pagans reforming their beliefs, or just the strange Cultural Conversions that tends to happen when people of the right culture hold a province of the wrong one. (I remember getting a French province in my Kingdom of Jerusalem game. "French Knights" I argued.)

Luhood fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 24, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Bozart posted:

Also please include some :spergin: stuff about how the library of alexandria didn't burn down this time so europe starts CK with muskets because there wasn't any dark ages, that would be a nice touch tia.

Please don't. I mean, there is a "Dark Age". Or as much of one as OTL, which really wasn't as dark as its name leads one to believe. "Rome wasn't built overnight" as they say, and similarly "Rome didn't disappear overnight" is pretty valid as well. Rome has fallen over a long long time, and while now it hasn't fallen to the Visigoths it still lies in Rebel hands. Splinter-states line former Rome, from Britannia to Egypt and even the non-stylized "Western Roman Rebels" holding Italia. The "Dark Ages" weren't as much a loss of technology as a loss of stability.

Not to mention the Library itself, which while true did contain a whole lot of texts is almost as glorified as the October Revolution is to Soviet Nationalists. It was the biggest of its kind, yes, but far from the only one. Many texts were lost, many remained in other places, and no matter if we had had it or not I don't think we would've had muskets anywhere between the 750s and the 1450s, at least none stable enough for large-scale warfare.

Besides, the renown Library of Alexandria finally fell 391, four years before A:TW even starts. So in the long run it doesn't matter how dark the "Dark Ages" were, or how much we could or couldn't have lost in the Library of Alexandria, considering the Library fell before we really can give relevant input on the story.

So please, don't do it and just call me Buzz Killington, because I am a serious bore who just don't like fun as long as it isn't within the limits of plausibility. And now I'll find out he was just having a funny and not actually serious about CK2-muskets and I'll feel all stupid and whatnot...

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

The Saxons are travelling northwards, the Gauls seem to want to settle the Lorraine area, and the Franks (didn't we kill those?) are starting to populate the Pyrenées. Meanwhile the Suebians and Quadians seems to want to close in on Rome. All in all, Visigoths notwithstanding it seems to be going well for us Germaniacs. I mean, after all,

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

And you know why the Sassanids are so strong? It's all because Ofaloaf razed that gold mine province way at the beginning of the game.

we did indirectly bring down the Greco-Romans. That should count for something, right?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I was actually joking a bit there but I'm sure having that province razed did contribute to the collapse of the ERE.

Our elders tell stories about how their ancestors ran off with all the gold in Hellas, inspiring the adults of tomorrow to bring up arms against these puny Romans who we so easily stole from before. If we did it once we can surely do it again!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

dublish posted:

All of what now?

Francia. Y'know, that strip of land between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, by the Pyrenées. The land the Franks holds.

I mean, what else could it be? Not like they've held anything else of importance.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

gently caress, I keep forgetting about the 300 year difference. :doh:

Yeah I think a ton of things can happen in 300 years. I know what I'm gonna try to vote through if it comes up, not to mention suggest if it doesn't. Slavic Germania needs to be a thing if Finnic Russia is ever to occur!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Well...

Notable Historians posted:

"As everybody knows, the terror that was the Huns was not only devastating but long lasting. The many different tribes of Germania were driven out of their old homeland by Attila's Huns, though even more so by the roaming Hunnic Hordes that followed Attila's demise. Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Quadians, nobody was spared and most everybody took their belongings and fled wherever they were or weren't welcome. The Gothic realm in particular took in many of the lesser tribes, though it is uncertain whether or not this had any long-lasting influences on the area as very little is known about the exact numbers of refugees to arrive. Vast plains, forests and hills all emptied, save for the fire pits and hovels left behind by the fleeing tribes.

"The Huns continued to be a significant threat to those few who remained behind though, until the Huns were driven out by easterners arriving to take the now empty lands. The Huns were forced to flee southwards, and finally found a people weak enough for them to suppress even with their lowered numbers: the Pannonians. Eventually the Huns formed their own Kingdom, just like the Goths in the west had done ages before. The Lands from the Pannonian Plains to the Carpathian Mountains would henceforth be known as Attilia after their old warlord, the last to truly unite them, and his descendants would come to rule it for ages to come."

:ducksiren::ducksiren:
"The people who ran the Huns out of Germania? Those were the ancestors of the Western Slavs we know of today. The Wends and Czechs settled the lands to the north, close to the old Saxon and Frisian homelands, while the Croatians and Serbians amongst others eventually came to settle the lands between them and the Alps to the south. They were often as divided as the former Germanic tribes had been, but they filled the void nonetheless."

In short:
  • While technically not under scrutiny for the moment I'd like Gothia to have some more Germanic influences rather than Latin. Or I dunno, I just want to Germanians to flee over the Rheine and be while not accepted at least welcomed into Gothia.
  • The Avarians are replaced by Huns for all intents and purposes. They own very much the same lands as they do in the 744 start namely the Carpathian Basin, or Hungary as we know it OTL.
  • With the Germanics driven over the Alps and Rheine ages ago several Slavic tribes have stepped in to settle the lands left behind. Are they OTL Western and Southern Slavs with a reskin or are they Yermannik Slavs of their own?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Barring any dramatic upsets within the hour, and if my counting skills are still intact, RED has won, with 31 or so votes. Following the immense devastation the Huns inflicted upon Central and Eastern Europe, and the mass migrations (and total oblivion) many Germanic groups followed due to the above, much of ancient Germania and Scythia became an inviting, open place to Iranian and Turkic peoples in the following centuries, and by the 700s much (but not all!) of the region had been settled by these peoples.

That Avaria-in-Italy's a good egg too and doesn't contradict the vote, I'll work that in somehow.

I stand by my vote that a Slavic incursion would've been better! :colbert: But eh, can't win 'em all! At least there's no Germans in Germania. That's something.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

YF-23 posted:

No King nor Emperor was fit to rule the Italian realm. The Central Roman state, having secured Italy from the Emperor of the west but under persistent siege from all sides and unable to pursue dreams of establishing itself as Empire in the Mediterranean entered a crisis of leadership as the purpose of the realm was uncertain. Without any practical source of legitimacy for the pretenders and under pressure from the heretic Goths and pagan Avars to the north, the Italian Romans found a common cause in defence of the faith, with the Bishop of Rome playing an increasingly active role in the state, culminating in a Great Compromise: the acceptance by the Roman Senate and the Italian nobility of the Pope as the highest authority in the realm.

The Western Roman Separatists start CK2 as the Holy Roman Empire, a theocracy under the Pope, who is Emperor over a number of duke- and king-level feudal vassals.

EDIT: Changing my vote to this glorious idea! I was sceptical at first, but I like it!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 11, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

The thing is, the original otl HRE is renowned for not being holy (It had a temporal emperor), not being Roman (It was largely German) and not being an Empire (It was more a loose confederation with an elective monarch). The difference here is in postulating a Holy (Ruled by a Pope) Roman (Based out of Rome, run by Romans) Empire (Large centralized state with a single supreme ruler). The joke is in this timeline it actually lives up to the name, whereas in our timeline it didn't. Not including the 'Empire' part would be less entertaining. What's your native language, by the by?

Actually, when you put it like that the idea starts sounding rather attractive. Be right back, just gonna go change my vote to this.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Well with Nestorianism out the window as a heresy and its own CK2 religion (I seem to remember most of us agreeing this was a logical step for the world), we do have a seat open for a third Christian Ideology. The very centralized Latin Catholicism under the Pope in the Roman Pontificate, the less secularly powerful but no less spiritually important Greek Orthodoxy under the Ecumenical Patriarch and in turn the Byzantine Emperor, and the very disunited and autocephalous Gothic or possibly Brytho-Gothic Arianism each with their own personal Atta (father in Gothic).

The only ones who fall outside of this dichotomy is the Hispanian Romans considering they are in a very peculiar position. They want to accept the Pope as the head of the Latin Church, but on the other hand being the true Roman Empire they obviously reject the Pope's claim to the title of Roman Emperor. A Catholic Heresy perhaps?

Luhood fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 12, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

Wouldn't it be better to just make them start with an antipope?

Merdifex posted:

I second Gantolondon, an antipope would suffice. It could be explained that they each follow same doctrine but the Hispanians believe that the pope shouldn't be a de facto controller of large territories and doesn't need temporal power over Christendom.

D'oh! :doh: That's a much simpler idea than making it a Heresy! I retract my previous suggestion.

YF-23 posted:

The west Romans and east Romans have a lot in common though, and politically probably recognise each other as the legitimate continuation of the two halves of the Empire. The WRE would then probably not be in schism with the ERE, they'd probably both belong to the same Orthodox Nicene Christianity, in opposition to the Papist Christianity of the Italians.

The Schism happened primarily for political reasons (the Pope making a power grab and the Byzantines rejecting it) which then sought some piss-poor religious justification to back it up (fillioque); here it's the other way around, the WRE and ERE have really good political reason to overcome tiny doctrinal differences and remain united in faith against the Pope's massive overreach.

That said, I now prefer the idea of them actually being Orthodox. I mean, at 450 the western and eastern traditions were very similar despite their differences. More importantly they didn't reject each other's traditions, unlike what they've done with the very Temporally Powerful Pope. Hence having Hispania be Orthodox makes more sense than them being Catholic with an Anti-Pope I'd say.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Quit Roming around!

Edit:
Though with a dash of:

Merdifex posted:

Invasion of the Britons

Very similar to:

With the exception that the entire north of Hispania, including Asturias and large swathes of Tarraconensis, was invaded and settled by Britons from, well, Britain.

Fleeing Romano-British oppression in their own lands, they sailed forth with their best warriors and reached lands far and wide. Their attempted invasion of Armorica was repelled by the Goths, and so they finally found refuge in Hispania. The local lords were weak, and the invasion saw little in the way of obstruction.

They established many petty kingdoms and a few duchies, and were more than able to defend themselves from the weak remnants of the WRE in the south.

In time, they developed an unique culture, calling themselves the "Brythons" after the Latin name for them. They ruled over a mostly Hispano-Roman populace, but many areas of the north were largely depopulated, and the Brythons made up the majority in these areas, their Celtic tongue becoming the lingua franca.

Perhaps in time, a strong ruler will appear and unite all the disparate Brythonic realms, and establish the Kingdom of Brythonia.

The Brythons mostly picked up Arian Christianity from from the Goths, but many bought with them the worship of the old gods. Some druids remain in Asturia, although their religion is not the majority one.

The rest of the WRE, shattered by the Brythonic invasions and shattering apart at the centre, fell apart into smaller kingdoms under fledgling dynasties.

PLAN
Spread of Brythonic culture

Area under direct Brythonic rule

TL;DR : Celts in northern Spain.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 13, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

RowansWarden posted:

In the early days of Islam, missionaries brought the faith to the Eastern Roman Empire. Faced with an existential threat from the Sassanids to the east and the ever-growing power of the Bishop of Rome to the west, the Emperor embraced Islam. By the eighth century, the Byzantines were largely Muslim, and they managed to reclaim some of western Anatolia while the Arabs expanded into most of the Sassanid lands west of Persia. Persia itself remained Zoroastrian, while Christian Axum still ruled Egypt.

Muslim Byzantium

As much as I love Muslim Vikings, Muslim Byzantines is even better. :allears:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

It seems to be leaning towards a 'Many Islams' interpretation. If the Hellenic version is strong enough to stand unopposed, it stands to reason that none of the others are in an overwhelming position.

I'd rather argue Byzantium being strong enough to stand unopposed in the face of the Caliph rather than the Byzlamic heresy. Perhaps he even sees himself as the true Caliph rather than the Arabic one?

Merdifex posted:

If the Hellenic Islam thing wins out, Ofaloaf should add a decision / event-chain where Hajj is made to Constantinople instead of Mecca.

Well, even if Byzlam rises I don't see it happening. I mean, consider Cairo and Baghdad. No matter how important they became to Sunni and Shia Islam respectively they never became the Hajj targets Mecca did (at least I don't think they did), thus it stands to reason Constantinople shouldn't either.

Merdifex posted:

Since so many people want Hellenic Islam and Islamic Byzantium, I wonder if they want proper Islam to be united under Sunni or divided amongst Shia and Ibadi as well.

Speaking of heresies, another thing to consider is if we even have a Sunni-Shia-Ibadi split to begin with. I mean, considering just like Christianity Islamic divisions are more political in nature than theological, who is and isn't the Caliph and more importantly who should and shouldn't be in the future, it isn't necessary the same splits occur here. The Byzantine-Arabic split seems rather obvious, but other than that do we need a Shia to the Sunni of Arabia and pseudo-Ibadi of Byzantium? I mean having one could be fun, sure, but still.

Griffen posted:

While it is true that Egypt and the Levant converted rapidly, keep in mind that the initial expansion of Islam was through wars of conquest. Those who were not muslim were levied an additional tax, if not persecuted outright. That gives a large incentive for the locals to either convert or flee. What is being proposed for the ERE is not this, but rather where a single emperor tries to convert his nation out of ambition/greed/convenience/etc. That would be much harder to do unless he goes full Ivan the Terrible, which has a greater chance of leading to his assassination than an entire populace converting. Note that Constantine's religious policy was simply to remove the penalties to being openly Christian, he did not dictate a state religion. In fact he was a patron of other religions as well. I say this because had he simply tried to dictate Christianity on the empire, he would have had a much, much harder time, and likely would have failed. History has shown you can convert by the sword, but not by the decree. That's why I just feel the Byzlam route, while offering a novel scenario, seems unrealistically forced. It would require essentially making a Byzlamic heresy that merges Islam with Christianity to try and sneak it past everyone, and I have a hard time seeing that work (or the point from the emperor's point of view, he already has the regional Patriarch in his pocket).

Well it could simply be a Noble thing. The Emperor converts, the Duxes converts either to please their liege or is forced to do it by the point of sword, and the rest of the peasantry just looks at them going "What in the world are you smoking?". Jizya tax or something similar is a thing, where the still strong non-Islamic populace are allowed to continue in peace and largely unopposed. Hence why I compare it to Ibadi: It is (at least according to Wikipedia) more known for their tolerance of non-Muslims and other Muslim denominations than the other two main Islamic branches; their rejection of the need for a single Islamic authority (I.E. Caliph) works well with the Basilleus not necessarily submitting under the Caliph, and their conviction that IF a Caliph is wanted he doesn't have to be of Muhammad's tribe or lineage works well with the Basilleus perhaps looking to steer Islam to a bright future himself. Maybe this is just me being rather non-read on Islamic branches but I think it is the most appropriate of the major three at least.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 14, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Griffen posted:

I can see the logic in that idea. However, it does rely on a lot of things lining up. You have to have an emperor who views abandoning his hold on the current predominant religion in favor of a new one with no guarantee of success (or is sincerely converted). You need the Patriarch to not excommunicate the emperor and giving blank check to any noble to usurp the throne. You have to have the nobles of the empire weak enough to not oppose him (because they are going to use any excuse to take his throne). You need the general population unconcerned enough with the emperor's conversion to not start revolting at the urging of firebrand priests or fear-mongerers (because unless we're saying that the initial expansion of Islam was peaceful, you still have in essence a religious movement conquering Arabia, the Levant, and Egypt; I'm sure Greece would have seen some Axumite refugees spreading tales of death and carnage at the hands of the muslim). You need the HRE to ignore the conversion of the ERE and the following confusion and not take advantage of it (considering the WRE would be less likely to aid the ERE if it was heathen). Any one of those things would throw a huge monkey wrench into the gears of a peaceful Byzlam conversion. Even if the emperor tried to convert the country by the sword, he would have too small of a loyal base of power (how many Christian Greeks would execute their own people when they could simply kill the emperor and be called a hero by the church?)

Thus while I can see how you might have a chain of events that lead to Byzlam, it seems highly unlikely, given the world we're working with, that the ERE would go muslim without being conquered. If the thread wants Byzlam, then it'll be Byzlam; I just think it will be extremely hokey and Deus ex Machina and kind of mess with the flow of things.

While true that it is a 1:1.000.000 odds, you also have to remember that in media the 1:1.000.000 odds are most likely to happen. Yes, a lot of things will need to click simultaneously, almost to the degree of suspending our sense of disbelief, but considering we "dictate" history at this point it isn't that strange to think it could happen. A new Patriarch more or less under the Emperor's Thumb, perhaps even a relative; Some infighting Duxes weakened by constant Persian incursions yet loyal to the Emperor who managed to retake parts of Anatolia from Persia, something not seen in a long while. He may have done it with the help of the Arabs perhaps, but a charismatic enough sort could probably spin it; The populace I can't really see giving a single gently caress if the Basilleus can hide it behind using Greek as their Lingua Theologica, I mean who cares what religion the Basilleus follows as long as he doesn't raise the taxes or something? Fire-brands and Fearmongers I can see, but at most that would be local rebellions and stuff and hopefully nothing serious. Besides, wasn't the plan that Axum keeps hold of Egypt?; The HRE would be busy consolidating its own power at the moment, not to mention being busy holding back Pagan, Heathen and Arian incursions into their land. That the distant Greeks just abandon their right to Romancy is something the HRE will most likely embrace with open arms in the future when the Pope isn't busy with other things.

So yes, it would be unlikely and ridiculous, but with the Persians being constant victors against Byzantium to the degree of them only stopping for the Bosphorus I can see a united Basilleus-Islam coalition driving them back from Anatolia and the Levant driving the Greeks to see this Islam thing as not as bad after all.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Because minimum Romes are good Romes! Also in the same vein, Maximum Celts are good Celts. Hadn't we been owning the place I would've voted for a Gaul upheaval in... well, in Gaul I suppose.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Drone posted:

Oh c'mon guys, slavic Britain is ridiculous, even relative to Byzlam.

How so? I mean, if the Jutes, Angles and Saxons could do it from the same area OTL why not the Wends and other Slavs in this, driven there by the incursion of Iranian people?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Gygaxian posted:

Druids in togas are much better than a ridiculous Slavic England.

Though Slavic England is a Grey vote that almost gained traction. Orange is driving the blasted Romans out and having Brythonics running the place again... or, well, Welshmen... but Celts nonetheless! (Seriously, Welsh? Why not at least having them be Breton, considering Little Brittany AKA Bretagna is overrun by us Goths in this timeline the name should be free for the taking)

Speaking of Romes: Ofaloaf, will there be a vote regarding how Roman-y we Goths will be? I wanna throw my votes at the "No-More-Romes" party ASAP, specially if it means having less France in France.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Merdifex posted:

Didn't the vote end yet? And just to remind people, if Slavs aren't in Britain, then Slavs aren't anywhere. Ya'll remember voting for that, right?

I'm not as convinced to be honest. The previous vote (regarding Altai-Irani-Turki-Whatever incursions into central Europe) was regarding the areas from Veneda/Poland to Germania, so unless I'm mistaken what we lose to Lord Tengri should just be OTL Germany, Bohemia, Austria, Poland, and potentially parts of if not all of Hungary. The Baltics, Finns, Norse, and the Slavs from Kiev to Ilmenia should still be unaccounted for (though I guess the Kievians oughta be gone when the Tengriists marched through on their way to Germania). Not to mention Illyria/Balkans which could still be Slavic, or at least the south of it. OTL Croatia was covered by the Quadians if I don't misremember, so unless they're driven out by the fleeing Slavs... I dunno.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Wherever the Slavs end up, they will be a Rome.

Not if I get a say in it! Three Romes are still One more Rome than OTL, be happy about it! :colbert:

Merdifex posted:

I do remember you not mentioning the Slavs anywhere, so unless I'm wrong about that, my interpretation wasn't unwarranted.

I would make a point along the lines of "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" or whatever but that would just make me sound pretentious, 'specially when Ofaloaf has already beaten me to it. I'll just point out how we still ought to have some 3 areas we haven't explicitly covered yet (those being Finno-Urgia, Balto-Ilmia and Illyria), and thus still have plenty of room for the driven-out/not-even-migrated-yet Slavs to take residence. Not to mention the fleeing Germans, who ought to be around somewhere.

Thread posted:

Drama, drama, loving drama!

Also, could we just drop this? Yes, Merdifex does some times test the waters a bit too much and sound like a pretentious pointdexter, but does that really mean we have to be such pricks about it? I'll admit I might be reaching a bit too much towards the backseat-mod broom myself right now but honestly all of this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and keeps me from enjoying Ofa and the general world-building craziness of the thread. I just want to have a good time with silly world-building/-wrecking with fellow goons but when you all give him such a hard time it just... I dunno. Like I said, I just don't like it. Maybe it's just me.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

GSD posted:

I just want Ireland to be free of the (whoever) yoke.

Everybody knows Ireland is just the potato-farm of greater Aztlan, massive stone pyramids and all. That's why we haven't voted for it.

It isn't really, and I'm not actually in any authority to pretend it is.

Merdifex posted:

Really dropped the ball, man. We could've had a Roman Empire which is also Carthage and ruled from Carthage and worships Baal.

Also, no. No more Romes. Don't make me bring out my protesting signs, 'cause I will if I have to! :bahgawd:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

This just makes me want even more Romes. :getin:

I'm warning you, they will have horribly non-witty slogans. I can already think of "Rome go Home!" and "Stop Rome-ing around!" as potential candidates.

Edit:
Ooh, new vote!

fits well with my earlier suggestion the "They weren't Altai-Iranians at all but actually Slavs all along!" idea, so she gets my vote.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 16, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Drone posted:

So Constantinople really is gonna be Tsargrad then?

Not if I get a say about it! I perefer Tsarlin myself.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
What do you people have against driving the Germans out of Germany? :bahgawd:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

What is Rome?

A miserable pile of Marble. But enough talking. Have at you!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
End Results:

Blue, 18

Tsargrad, 29

Conclusion: If it weren't for the splitters we would've had an almost even split between #1 and #2, as it is we get Slavs a bit south of OTL and Germans just a bit west of where they used to be. I hope you're happy thread.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Psh, Venice is a proper Republic still. Just because the Mainland is owned by the Pope and the top by Pagans doesn't mean Venice can't still thrive. :colbert:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

No, that was it for voting. The British vote noted there'd be one after that, and there's been one after that.

And look, people voted for a Slavic ERE, so there'll be a Slavic ERE. Not Greek, Slavic. Sure, melting pot events can mix stuff around, but still, Slavic.

I do hope the Slavs will reach from Serbia-Bulgaria and southwards. I mean, we need one or two larger collections of Slavs, and right now we do have Ukrani-Russian (Eastern) Slavs and thus a Byzanti-Bulgarian (Southern) group of Slavs would be tonsa fun! Then we have some few Western Slavs (Wends most likely, who I'd love see try to reach for Jylland) while the Czecho-Polish are mostly extinguished by the Tengri immigrants.

I'm liking this world already, despite the excess of Germans in Germania.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I vote for an Olmec colony starting in Galicia, since in this timeline they didn't die off and obviously should have colonization capability by the start of the 700s. :colbert:

I don't really vote for this, it's a stupid idea! Besides, we don't even vote currently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Since there is thread participation the thread is part of the LP. The LP was inside us all along. :unsmith:

WE are the LP. Ofa is just the one to lead us, and it, forwards towards a brighter, better future. He's the hero we want AND the hero we need. :frogbon: