Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's us. We're the Big Blue Blob.

I'm super looking forward to seeing how this universe shapes up for CK2, and what you'll be doing narratively with the 300 years between the end of this game and the start of that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It'd actually be kinda neat if Ofaloaf did it as a multiplayer thing instead of just going up against the AI (since I don't think that's been done?), but logistically that would be a nightmare.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is the converter even still up-to-date? I mean it's about to become obsolete until they patch it again with the new EU4/CK2 expansions coming out, but did they ever even update it to work post-Art of War?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Also remember that there will be around 300 years of history between the end of Attila and the beginning of CK2. I have a seriously hard time believing that Greco-Roman paganism is going to honestly survive that in anything more than sporadic OPM holdouts.

Islands might give them a fighting chance, since they're slightly easier to defend. Crete or Malta or something.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

with a tinge of

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Or Gothia could be one of those countries that didn't develop a parliamentary tradition until well into the modern era (we really COULD be France!)

Actually yeah, have we had an LP where the majority of the game was played in an absolutist way until a bloody France-style revolution around 1800? Wiz's Azerbaijan had revolution but it was as a client state and forced upon them by Russia, and Hohenzollern was a conservative bastion. And I'm far too behind on some of the more recent LP's like Byzantium or Hansa.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GunnerJ posted:

Speaking of which, there was also that creepy "OUR JEWS" stuff that was funny for like a page.

But Azeri did result in some very good Kelly-style political cartoons from... who was it, kangol?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This guy, but give them Elective law, or a Republic because why the hell not.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Merdifex posted:

What about keys & chains of St. Peter w/ proper Latin Roman christogram

This is spiffy and it evokes a natural evolution from SPQR in my mind.

But why the upside-down crucifix?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Merdifex posted:

In that case, I'd modify RowansWarden's proposal a bit to include specifics:

Hellenic Islam

Unlike OTL where many Byzantine emperors scoffed at Muhammad's budding new religion, declaring it nothing more than some misguided Christian heresy held by backward desert savages, one emperor saw something more; he saw inspiration.

Upon receiving several letters from Muhammad, he put into writing his own improvements to Muhammad's own theology. Why would Theos (the term he used instead of Allah) speak to some desert barbarian in his own guttural tongue rather than to an emperor who spoke one of the most beautiful and prestigious language on earth?

In reality, the language of revelation was Greek, since the archangels Gabriel and Michael appeared to this emperor and pointed out that Greek was not only the best language, but also that Muhammad misinterpreted them greatly.

His writings and revelations were recorded by him and his followers in a collection of books called the Theonomy (god's laws.) It was revealed to him that you could marry more than one woman, among other things.

This new faith was called Paradinism, after the Greek word for submission.

Yep, this is my vote.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I voted for Byzlam and I fully admit that it's a stupid idea and if I were running an LP and something similar happened, I'd probably just veto it but find some way of working it into the narrative. I'd rather Ofaloaf tell the story he wants to tell and continue giving us an excellent, passionate LP than us have our goofy alt-history wanking.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ofaloaf posted:

Not a clue, but I recall seeing Byzantium go Muslim once since Legacy of Rome came out and the game didn't totally soil itself, so it's got to work out somehow.

I had a pretty cool one where I saw an AI Byzantine Emperor who was also simultaneously the Orthodox Patriarch. Is that sometimes supposed to happen or did I witness the birth of a God-Emperor?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh c'mon guys, slavic Britain is ridiculous, even relative to Byzlam.

Ofaloaf, would the British Romance language be something sorta Romanian in character, insofar as the grammar itself is Romantic but a lot of vocabulary/phonology would be based on something non-Romance (like Romanian is a Romance language with a fairly heavy Slavic influence)?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

sheep-dodger posted:

The Slavic Takeover
The initial Slavic migrations were welcomed by the Eastern Roman Empire, as it desperately needed recruits to try and stop the Sassanid advance on Anatolia, and in return for their service in the army, many Slavs were allowed to settle in the provinces of Thrace and Illyria. Over the decades, Slavs came to dominate the army, as more and more Eastern provinces were lost and the Greek elites were reluctant to enter military service.
It was the domination of the empire's army that would secure the Slavic domination of the empire.
After a botched coup in the early 500's the Slavic generals, nominally working in the name of the boy-emperor of the time, began rooting out the Greek elites that had plotted to overthrow him. Those nobles would be replaced by former Slavic chiefs, which was the first taste for the Eastern Romans of what was to come in the next centuries.
This process culminated in the early 700s, when a Slavic general successfully usurped the crown and styling himself Tiberius and gaining control over the entire empire.
In game terms, the ERE stretches up to the Danube and its northern half is firmly Slavic, while the Greeks have been reduced mostly to Attica. The reigning emperor is Slavic, but the cohabitation of Greeks and Slavs in the empire means that they are in the process of developing a new syncretic culture (melting pot events).

This one.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Merdifex posted:

The Byzantine Bishops don't recognize the Pope as legitimate, as I understand it, so it makes it obvious why they'd want to prop up Vladimirus or whoever as true Roman Emperor.

But is the Schism as we know it even going to take place to divide Christianity into Orthodox and Roman Catholic?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So Constantinople really is gonna be Tsargrad then?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Can we make the next round of voting be on whether or not Merdifex just goes off to make his own mega-LP instead of backseat driving this one? Since he seems to have Very Strong Opinions On Mapgames and just a dash of I'm Just Speaking On Ofaloaf's Behalf, Guys.

vvvvvvvvvvvvv

quote:

Merdifex hosed around with this message at Jun 17, 2015 around 10:13

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 17, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Merdifex posted:

You're getting me wrong, I never said to overturn the Slavic takeover scenario. I just think that down the line, in CK2 & EUIV the interaction of Slavic ruler and Greek ruled will lead to different cultural situation than what we started with. Other's said that it'd end up one "Helleno-Slavic" culture but I think that's a bit simplistic, and more of a sprachbund and cultural continuum will emerge.

Also consider that the Greeks who populated the cities would far outnumber the Slavic invaders at first, so the scenario in which Greeks are reduced to Attica is a bit overblown.

These are my only contentions, I hope you consider them.

EDIT:

I think if you want the Slavs to retain their ... Slavness, I think the cultural continuum option is a better one. How that'd work out is that Slavic names look more Hellenized in form while still being Slavic in provenance, maybe -polis is used as a city name suffix or something. And I think I mentioned this earlier but this can be shown through the Slavic and Greek culture being in the same culture group, like Greek, Armenian,(and Alanic?) are part of the "Byzantine" group.

Do you F5 the thread waiting to swoop in with walls of text or what?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Merdifex posted:

I remember deciding to check out the threads for my favorite LPs on LPArchive and they were shittier than I could ever imagine.

You registered a month ago and did not follow the universally-accepted advice of "lurk more." You don't understand the anatomy of a good post, and you don't understand why your posts are bad. You refuse to understand that others may think your posts are bad. And this admission makes it pretty clear that you don't really understand Something Awful either.

This is why you should lurk more.

vvv lol it took you less than 5 minutes to reply, you really need to get outside more

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 19, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Unwise_Cashew posted:

our Denmark would be best Denmark

Ain't no Denmark better than Secret Denmark.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

That Britain looks goddamn awesome.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Can we get a culture mapmode shot of western Europe? The only one included in the update was for some of central + eastern.

I'm super excited for this LP to continue now that the conversion is done!

Edit: are there any countries that start out with cool government forms (elective) by default, and are there any republics?

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 10, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ofaloaf posted:

Are the hyperlinks inserted in the middle of the text distracting at all? I sperged out a bit about placenames, so I've been worried about people not recognizing toponyms and getting confused about where things are happening.

No, they're great, please keep doing this!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

YF-23 posted:

The King and his wife are still young - hell, they've only had one kid so far - so succession is not an issue yet except in the case of accident. Long live princess Glorja!

Agnatic-only succession. :( King Thiudareiks needs a son (or brother... do we actually have any more male members of the dynasty?)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ofaloaf posted:

That's why most of the placenames are just reverted to Latin in the scenario atm.

I'm sure you could just outsource these to certain LP readers of sufficient sperg-level.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ofaloaf, are you going to be playing the dynasty, or the country? I mean this is the story of the Gothic people after all.

What I mean is, if we lose the title, will you continue playing as the dynasty that takes it over? Or follow normal CK2 mechanics and play as Armorica?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kanthulhu posted:

Our borders are looking awful.

Kanthulhu has founded the 'Pretty Borders' Faction.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's back :woop:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mythomanic posted:

What religion are the nubians?

Judging by the shields, some variety of Christian probably.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ofaloaf, have you changed the Gothic-now-Gautés names file to account for the culture shift or are we going to have a Thiudareiks XVIII at some point?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dutch France :eyepop:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Elective is the best form of government in CK2, do it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I think Ofaloaf has more than earned our trust for control of his narrative. He'll keep it interesting.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fantastic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yay for elective succession in the empire, boo for continuing to beat up Britain.

Having non-anglicized place names like Schwaben on the map while referring to them as Swabia in the narrative is really weird to me (and the hole mod trend of using individually-localized country names when the game itself is run in English is just kinda galling to me).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ofaloaf posted:

I just like sperging about names but don't want to bog down the narrative explaining each and every change. :smith: It all started off innocently enough- I didn't want all of Gaul to just use French names- and then well without the Arabic invasion, obviously the Arab-derived toponyms in Spain couldn't exist, so Spanish toponyms had to change, and well since there weren't invasions in North Africa those had to change, and then without the Anglo-Saxons starting off in England some toponyms couldn't exist, and then, and then, and then...

Also the culture of the rulers of Swabia has changed several times over, sometimes twice with the same king, which is more than I expected.

Oh yeah I totally get it, especially for places where the English toponyms that we know today wouldn't exist in this timeline (since it's not likely that the English language itself will even exist in this timeline).

Might I suggest a way forward that would give this LP a ton more flavor and also be in keeping with your awesome linguistic background for the LP too: instead of using English toponyms as the standard, use Gautish ones! I'm sure the people of Gautya would have names for important non-Gautish cities like London/Nova Cartago/etc, and use those in the narrative.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I seriously doubt it's dead dude. We're just now coming out of holiday season and not everyone has the time to dedicate to a massive LP while balancing those things.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Good update, but still sad about the conversion of Druidic Britain. 'Twas not to last, I suppose.

What were their required holy sites anyway, just out of curiosity?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

An-Cap would certainly be interesting to see, but I think even the world's strongest economy in Victoria 2 (Great Britain) gets pretty much ruined by ancaps. So a good simulation of reality, really.

The Danubian Federation Kaiserreich LP went full-on free market though, which was pretty fun itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Okay it's decided, Gothia is going Juche when we get to the HOI era.