Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

This is the thread for the current anime adaptation of RIN-NE (Kyoukai no Rinne), and for all manga by the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi, perhaps currently best known in the west for Inu Yasha.

Waitwaitwait, she did other, better things, too! Urusei Yatsura, Maisson Ikkoku, and Ranma 1/2 are her other big ones, and they're all pretty great. Rin-ne is more in line with the tone of UY or Ranma, and it's solid Takahashi and a fun read.

Synopsis (from Viz's volume 1):

Viz posted:

As a child Sakura Mamiya mysteriously disappeared in the woods behind her grandma's home. She returned whole and healthy, but since then she has had the power to see ghosts. Now a teenager, she just wishes the ghosts would leave her alone! At school, the desk next to Sakura's has been empty since the start of the school year. Then one day her always-absent classmate Rinne Rokudo shows up, and he's far more than what he seems!

Sakura's curiosity about the mysterious Rinne draws her deeper into an amazing world on the boundary between the living and the dead. Helping Rinne is one thing, but will tagging along with him leave her trapped in the afterlife? And does Rinne really know what he's doing? Dealing with the afterlife isn't easy, especially when you don't know all the rules!

Characters, as that seems to be the done thing:

Our straight man viewpoint character, Sakura Mamiya. She's been able to see spirits and such for a decade or so now, and she's no longer impressed by their shennanigans. Able to "go with the flow" to a fault, she's always ready with a 10-yen coin for:

The eponymous Rinne, a part-shinigami, part-human who makes a meager living from the offerings left from those who make requests of him; requests of a spiritual nature, of course, which always seem to require fat stacks of yen (generally no more than ¥50, tops). After all, even hell runs on money. He is helped by:

Rokumon, a black cat who forms contracts with shinigami to help them out in various ill-defined ways. He generally takes the form of a small creepy-cute black cat with a human face, but can cast a glamour upon himself to make him appear large and menacing or like a little kitten. He is less scrupulous than Rinne when it comes to making a living. He was until recently in the employ of:

Rinne's grandmother, Tamako, who fell in love with a human 50 years ago. She is very conscious of the fact that she doesn't look old enough to be a grandmother, and wants you to be conscious of it as well. This is a joke that will quickly wear out its welcome, but it doesn't stay as prominent as in the first few episodes for long. She raised Rinne, and would prefer if he return to live with her.

There are other characters, or course, and I try to add them as they are introduced in the anime.

The anime is streaming on Crunchyroll. The manga no longer seems to be available for legal online reading, or even for digital purchase, but physical volumes are available from Viz.

As mentioned, folks are encouraged to post about all the various Takahashi mangas/animes. I'll try to get writeups for them up at some point, and if the threads still alive when the Rinne anime ends (I think it's supposed to be a 2-cour) we can get the thread title changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Reserved.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Reserved.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Feel free to take a few more.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Watched episode 1 yesterday, was actually pleasantly surprised. I remember watching all of Ranma back in the old days, and this one is a more modern R. Takahashi show with all of the signature characteristics of her work.

It will also end in typical Takahashi fashion probably, 5 years later with an ending that is not an ending and blueball the fans with the relationship development.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I love how deadpan the heroine is about all of this, this sort of humor really hits the right spot for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why is every other female character so much more rad than Sakura? Especially Takahashi's signature one-note single-minded love rivals.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I love how deadpan the heroine is about all of this, this sort of humor really hits the right spot for me.

I stopped reading the manga years ago, but I remember really liking Sakura. She's just so calm and has rather low-key reactions for a Rumiko Takahashi character, which makes her really weird.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Might have to get into this poo poo, if the over the top tsundere lead isn't rehashed I can deal with the inuyasha clone

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rinne is just some good chill retro times. Like if Rumiko Takahashi had written Bleach instead and it stayed as a low-key ghostbusting slice of life series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish it were more retro, and by that I mean poofy hair for everyone.

Decent enough show though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Might have to get into this poo poo, if the over the top tsundere lead isn't rehashed I can deal with the inuyasha clone

Sakura isn't tsundere at all and Rinne isn't really an Inuyasha clone personality wise, he feels much more calm and mature than Inuyasha ever did. The narrator is also pretty fun.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Sounds good, it's also pretty amusing rumiko's self-insert is now hot grandma

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
This show is funny and good.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I am loving the retro artstyle and how subdued Sakura's reactions are. I'm following this.

I haven't really read/seen much of Takahashi's works other than the occasional episode of Inuyasha, so what would be a good series to start off with? The OP says that Ranma 1/2 is pretty similar in tone, so I was thinking of looking at that first.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You should read all of Ranma 1/2 yes. I can't vouch much for the anime since I have only seen bits of the early stuff but I vaguely recall watching and enjoying the two movies after the manga too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Sounds good, it's also pretty amusing rumiko's self-insert is now hot grandma

yours isn't?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nondevor posted:

I am loving the retro artstyle and how subdued Sakura's reactions are. I'm following this.

I haven't really read/seen much of Takahashi's works other than the occasional episode of Inuyasha, so what would be a good series to start off with? The OP says that Ranma 1/2 is pretty similar in tone, so I was thinking of looking at that first.

Ranma's great. I prefer the manga to the anime, but the first couple seasons of the anime and the OVAs are pretty good. The first season has a super-catchy OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd129Vla0Q

It's the first anime OP that I could sing along to, back when I was even nerdier than I am now!

Urusei Yatsura is also similar to Rinne in tone, but I'm not nearly as familiar with it. The second UY movie, Beautiful Dreamer, is great, though in ways that have little to do with Takahashi.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Ranma's great. I prefer the manga to the anime, but the first couple seasons of the anime and the OVAs are pretty good. The first season has a super-catchy OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd129Vla0Q

It's the first anime OP that I could sing along to, back when I was even nerdier than I am now!

This is so nostalgic. Ranma 1/2 is the first anime I ever watched, even before DBZ I think, and definitely the first thing I watched that I had to download on the computer. I remember downloading all the episodes in some really low quality Real Player format. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade when I watched them. I never finished the series because it sort of runs out of steam after the first 4-5 seasons, but those first several seasons are really funny and the show has a really good cast and core premise/gimmick.

edit: Here is the music video for the best Ranma 1/2 OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeR1FleDTIA

(My favorite part of that music video is where she has one of those 17th century white wigs and is conducting while standing in the middle of a bunch of people with Native American chief pictures for heads.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 28, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This is so nostalgic. Ranma 1/2 is the first anime I ever watched, even before DBZ I think, and definitely the first thing I watched that I had to download on the computer. I remember downloading all the episodes in some really low quality Real Player format. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade when I watched them. I never finished the series because it sort of runs out of steam after the first 4-5 seasons, but those first several seasons are really funny and the show has a really good cast and core premise/gimmick.

edit: Here is the music video for the best Ranma 1/2 OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeR1FleDTIA

We might be the same person.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Nondevor posted:

Ranma 1/2 is probably the most broadly entertaining thing she's ever done, it's just pure fun. I prefer the manga by a large margin but the first few seasons of the anime and the OVA/movies are pretty good.

If you want a somewhat more serious romance from her then Maison Ikkoku is also really good and oddly easy to relate too. The anime adaption is good, but like the manga is 15 volumes while the anime is about 100 episodes long and out of print, so...

Urusei Yatsura is Rumiko's first series and dated as poo poo at this point, but it's worth experiencing just to realize how many tropes and character types she basically invented that are still being run into the ground today. Beautiful Dreamers is the second movie and has pretty much nothing to do with the manga but it super trippy and worth checking out as a stand-alone experience.

Inuyasha was Takahashi's first attempt at doing a long, semi-serious action adventure thing while still not plotting anything out in advance ever and is a huge sprawling repetitive mess I can't recommend to anyone. Don't even bother with it, seriously.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
apparently lovely realplayer videos is how everyone watched ranma back in the good old days

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't actually see the anime for ages outside ads in front of my Disney tapes. Read the manga at the library all the time instead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ranma 1/2, along with Slam Dunk and Magic Knight Rayearth, will always occupy a special place in my dorky, adolescent years.

Out of all her works, though, the two I dig the most are probably Maison Ikkoku and Mermaid Saga.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
This is a fun show. Never really got into any of Takahashi's prior works, so her style's still kinda fresh to me. I enjoy how neither of the leads are particularly wacky in and of themselves, nor is even the plot all that ridiculous, but it's still impossible to forget it's a comedy based solely on the way it's framed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Rin-Ne is just nice and relatively calm which is refreshing given everything. Heck even the dramatic stuff is ether played off as utterly silly (There's really no way to take someone in a rabbit costume punching someone wearing a dorky mask in the face seriously).

Plus the fact that no one is a completely irredeemable arse like how everyone in Ranma is (Well maybe except Rinne's Dad) helps too.

A long and extended gently caress you to Viz for loving up the digital distro for the manga though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 28, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was a good episode today.

There was some good character development for both of our lead characters, the introduction of the third member of our love triangle and 5th main cast member and a rather nice and bittersweet story with the ghost of that student. :unsmith:

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Hunh, you know I was dreading the introduction of the (what I've been told, anyway) inevitable 'rival' character, but I actually ended up pretty fond of the guy. He isn't half the tool I expected him to be.

Really, the entire character cast has been likeable so far.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So we've got Miho as Ryouga with Miroku's face, and I would guess Scythe Girl is either Sango or Ukyo. That leaves Devil Boy as... Pantyhose Taro I guess and the other red headed guy in the op has to be Rinne's dad/probably the main villain.

I actually really like this show but I wish I didn't see Takahashi's building blocks everywhere.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
From (iirc) the chat thread a couple days ago, we have a British dub of the first couple episodes (or at least first + some other) of Urusei Yatsura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRcxz1MSPd0

It's pretty great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That was a good episode today.

There was some good character development for both of our lead characters, the introduction of the third member of our love triangle and 5th main cast member and a rather nice and bittersweet story with the ghost of that student. :unsmith:

Yeah, it was well done. We're getting into stuff that I haven't read in a good long while and don't remember all that well. I think I'm enjoying it more for that.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

The voice acting at this part killed me. I heard that in general Takahashi's rival characters were insufferable, but this guy is great for how much of a dweeb he is. Ryouga in Ramna 1/2 is also pretty funny, so I dunno. :shrug: I'd say this was a pretty fun episode. Especially because of the character development!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Actually, Takahashi's rival characters usually own!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anyone who tells you they're bad is a liar, and you shouldn't trust them...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yeah, I thought something was off because I really like the rivals in Ranma 1/2 so far, even the minor ones. Just got to the part where Ranma and Akane have an ice skating battle with another school.

Behold... the unbeatable dance of death

It's great.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
There's something so unique about Takahashi's humor that's really coming out in spades here. It was kinda there in Inu Yasha (though I only watched that for like the first 40 eps) but I mostly remember the vibes from Ranma. I'm loving this show and it's really hitting all the right nostalgia points while being completely brand new.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Srice posted:

Actually, Takahashi's rival characters usually own!!

Agreed. They are all completely one-note and none of them ever learn a drat thing, but I still tend to like them more than her major characters.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This episode was weak, but still had some decent gags.

"This episode" being the one that aired almost a week ago, that is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Looks like we get to meet Devil Boy next week. Wasn't expecting the Damashinigami leader lady to be second in command to Totally Rinne's Dad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So this is our Pantyhose then.

• Locked thread