Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yeah, I'm confused. What's the point in owning Star Wars and a comic book company with a history of publishing Star Wars comics if you don't use your comic book company to publish Star Wars comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Marvel's got about half a dozen Star Wars comics running at any given moment, so it's not like they're not being utilized.

I do wonder how much (if any) communication happens between the two companies, or how they feel about stuff like High Republic and High Republic Adventures comics being on shelves at the same time.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Is Marvel ever planning on re-printing their Star Wars Epic Collections? Would like to get my hand on the Dark Empire trilogy (New Republic V5), that came out in March and yet it's out of stock pretty much everywhere, even used book websites. Don't even get me started on the Thrawn trilogy Epic Collection (People are asking 300+ on used websites for it). Gonna pre-order their Tales of the Jedi v2 omnibus that comes out in may 2022.

Seems like demand for these products are pretty high. Novels are easy to find, the comics themselves not at all though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

At the very least, I'm sure they'll be re-releasing the Thrawn Trilogy at some point, since it seems pretty obvious there's going to be some kind of TV adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy starring Ahsoka coming up.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I see that they have the first 3 volumes of the New Republic being re-released as an omnibus in July 2022, so I'm sure V4+5+6 will come out in another year or so. Probably the best way to get it.

I really hope any Thrawn trilogy they do does justice to the books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Any adaptation is going to have to take at least some liberties, especially given Rukh is already dead prior to the adaptation. Also that Pellaeon is now in the Unknown Regions with Thrawn. My guess is that Ezra will take the place of Joruus, Ahsoka as Luke, Hera as Leia, Jacen as Jacen.

I know a lot of people online think that Zahn's newer Thrawn books are tied into the Thrawn TV adaptation but I honestly don't think that Filoni cares what Zahn is doing now, nor should he.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Crimson Reign is okay; a bit disappointed that Qi'ra ambitions are set from the start to fail because Palps is untouchable, I wanted more independent crime syndicates action.

Also i demand more Orchi

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fatherboxx posted:

Also i demand more Orchi

I mean poo poo, me too, but is this the thread to talk about transition goals? :V

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Crimson Reign is okay; a bit disappointed that Qi'ra ambitions are set from the start to fail because Palps is untouchable, I wanted more independent crime syndicates action.

My personal theory on that is they're actually building on her arc from Solo where she feels trapped in that criminal life. This whole scheme is actually meant to bring Crimson Dawn crashing down so she can slip out the back door and finally live free of it all. :unsmith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anyone read the Poe Dameron or Lando comics? Are they any good?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I thought they were both good with great art. The final arc of the Poe comics kinda gets shafted since it has the deal with TFA & TLJ since those movies happen back to back. It has a fun villain.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I read volume 1 of the Poe comics, the bad guy is a hoot. I went ahead and bought volumes 2-5.

Also I got this in the mail, it’s a signed oversized trading card.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
A Doctor Aphra Vol 2 omnibus was announced, how is Alyssa Wong's run? I got the first omnibus mostly as a fan of Gillen and Spurrier's writing but I did enjoy the character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i like it. it's definitely less serious than gillen and spurrier's runs but i think Alyssa has a good handle on the character

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's good, but definitely lighter. Wong's supporting cast is also a bit weaker, I think-- I still don't really get what's up with the ongoing side adventures of Lucky and Ariole Yu. Very happy to get fun new queer characters in Star Wars but I wish they'd been integrated into the central plot a bit more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just realized that today is a big day: the first issue of Hyperspace Stories, the first original Dark Horse Star Wars comic since 2014.

Actually, looking it up now, it's almost exactly eight years, the last one being the final issue of Legacy Vol. II on August 27, 2014.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I haven’t read any of the Doctor Aphra books but I have a question. Do any of them actually show the Shadow University as a location? I know they have a lot of the Bar’leth university but I’m curious about Shadow U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Back from the dead like Palpatine.

For anyone interested in jumping into the current canon lines, I highly recommend Marvel Unlimited. It lags behind live releases by about 3 months, but it has almost everything post-Disney and a lot of earlier stuff too. It's a good way to keep up with whatever is going on and it's like $80 a year. I think the only thing post-Disney missing from there are the High Republic Adventures lines from IDW and now Dark Horse.

Recommended ongoing titles:

Star Wars, set between IV and V, and then V and VI (Both runs bridge the gaps between those respective movies)
Doctor Aphra, in those same periods
Darth Vader, first series between IV and V. Another series is set post III (First series bridges movie gap, second series delves into Vaders mind post-injury)

Big cross over in the V-VI period was about Crimson Dawn, slotting into a similar function to Shadows of the Empire. The ongoing have a lot of cross-over events through their run, probably about half their arcs deal with something which might get picked up in a different title. Thankfully they include all the "event" tracking lists in each issue.

And there's a ton of mini-series and one-offs that have been released up to this point that tie in to those cross-overs or that were made to tie into an anniversary, ala ESB and RotJ's 40ths.

I am REALLY hoping Disney and Marvel finally make the leap into post-Jedi, they've been teasing it a few times in their main line title. At least bridge Endor to Jakku. They've already squeezed about three years of comics out of the year between ESB and RotJ. They could get in several more years into the run up to Jakku.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 19, 2024