Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A quick check of Amazon shows that the Tales volumes are still pretty cheaply available. Most seem like they can be bought used for about 5 bucks.

A pretty large number of the individual Tales comics are sprinkled throughout the more recent Marvel Epic Collections, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

How was the Anakin & Obi-Wan miniseries Charles Soule did, by the way? I remember thinking "I'd better read that one" but never got round to it.

I thought it was kind of boring, honestly. Obi and Anakin crash on a remote steampunk planet was a good idea, but not very memorable.

My favorite parts in it were the flashback scenes that showed Palpatine bonding with Anakin. I wish we had seen a few more examples of that, to actually depict why Anakin would be so willing to trust him and go with him. Really the only ones that come to mind are the beginning of ROTS with him having told Palpatine about the sand people, and the old Tartakovsky Clone Wars series where Palpatine puts Anakin in charge of the fighters over the objection of the other Jedi (including Obi-Wan).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Durge was going to be in the Filoni CGI series, but got replaced with one of the new bounty hunter characters the show introduced. The same with Alpha from the Republic comics, who eventually got replaced by Rex.

The old Clone Wars video game might not have had its original characters show up anywhere else but it did use Ulic Qel-Droma of all people. I also really liked the associated Rhen Var map in both of the old Battlefronts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

After the mention of Tales here earlier, I saw my copy of Volume 6 hanging around and flipped through it. It reminded me that Nomad is still one of my favorite Star Wars stories ever. I liked the Visas story that tied into KOTOR II, too.

The Marooned story about the Rebel and stormtrooper stranded on Endor after the battle also seemed like a story concept that would get published in the Disney era. On the other hand, it was funny to see the comic about young Maul in retrospect.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Nomad" is the Darca Nyl one, isn't it? That's long struck me as one that seems like it'd be prime material for a Star Wars Story movie these days, doesn't it? Too bad they're cancelled.

It's definitely a story that could be easily adapted to screen, though I feel like if they do the sort of Obi-Wan movie people are expecting/hoping for, it would be fairly similar in tone and plot. Though I also don't think Disney would ever do it, since aside from a lightsaber and references to the Jedi (maybe also to Coruscant and the Republic) there's very little connecting it to the wider Star Wars universe. Something that I actually appreciate from it.

I had forgotten that they continued Darca Nyl's story in the Rebellion comic. That felt widely unnecessary.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Every line of her dialogue, and even a lot of the art, just make me think someone thought, "Harley Quinn is really popular... why don't we just copy her into a Star Wars comic?"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The original Marvel run had some weird issues with ROTJ. For a few months after the movie came out, they kept printing pre-ROTJ stories. And even after they would occasionally have a pre-ROTJ issue in the middle of their post-ROTJ storyline about the Rebels recruiting planets for the Galactic Conference.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the Weequay one where they're revealed to worship a magic 8-ball.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He did, but that might have been the story he wrote under a pseudonym because he didn't like the edits that were done to it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Interesting that Tom Taylor is writing the Resistance comic. He also wrote the NJO comic for Dark Horse in the late aughts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I've always enjoyed star wars stuff and read a handful of the books when I was a kid, I think most of the X-wing books and the thrawn trilogy. I remember liking them but remember basically nothing about them

How likely am I to enjoy these comics?

I'd suggest reading the 1990s Dark Horse X-wing series, if you liked the X-wing books. They're a prequel to the book series, and by the same author.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Marvel solicits for July have come out and it seems like Greg Pak taking over the main Star Wars title is also when the setting is going to switch to Empire Strikes Back, with the Rebels arriving on Hoth.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So the woman making the original complaint is a Rey-Kylo Ren shipper who actually said that depicting a woman falling in love with Vader should be "empowering." This is a really dumb take. This is essentially the Star Wars equivalent of that "white women when a new serial murderer documentary comes out" meme.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I got the Marvel Star Wars 108 today. It was fun to see a return to the 80s Marvel series, even though it was weird to have references to stuff like the Bantam era and the prequels appear in the context of the Marvel series. The multiple artist format was a nice showcase too, especially having Jan Duursema return to Star Wars for one section.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the Jabba the Hutt one, if only for the scene where the Imperial officer is on the commlink trying to stop the bank from repossessing his house. Even in the GFFA some things never change.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

None of the "Age of...." comics have really wowed me so far, though I haven't read the Snoke one. Some have been fine, some not, but none really stand out.

I have been enjoying the various IDW Star Wars Adventures comics, though. Again, not all are amazing but I feel like because they show bits and pieces from across continuity, and are (usually) just one-shot stories, they're able to show the kind of range (in both settings and tone) that the Marvel comics don't feel able to do.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Okay... I'm all-in on that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Vader series is also relaunching in 2020. It seems like all the main Star Wars titles are relaunching then to be post-ESB.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Preview for Rise of Kylo Ren #1:

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-rise-of-kylo-ren-1-exclusive

Finally get to see Luke's other Jedi students.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So having read the first issue of Rise of Kylo Ren, it's kind of crazy how much this one issue retcons:

Ben doesn't destroy the temple, it just blows up (?)

Ben doesn't kill the other Jedi students (at least now) and goes out his way to not hurt them.

The other Jedi just leave Luke for dead to hunt down Ben instead of trying to help Luke.

It seems to happen prior to the events of Bloodline given the references to Leia still being a senator on Hosnian Prime.

I have to say, I am really not liking how much this comic at least so far leans so heavily into "Ben was innocent, if only everyone else wasn't so mean to him he wouldn't have turned into a fascist dictator" which at least in the first issue is where I sensed where this is going....

That being said, it is kind of crazy that one comic issue has almost more backstory for Kylo and Snoke than all three sequel movies. Kind of makes me wonder how much of this was developed for the movies or how much of this was someone at Lucasfilm just told Charles Soule "okay the movies are over, now you can go wild and fill in the blanks."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know who that could be for Ben, though. We know it's not anyone in his family, and if it's one of these random Jedi who have only just been introduced and who he doesn't seem that close to it won't really feel all that impactful. Though I am fully expecting him to kill them... though it would also be a bit of a lark if it turns out they all just go off on their own and were just doing their thing throughout the sequel movie era like all those other Jedi who survived Order 66 and did nothing.

I bet it will be something like a reverse Crait, Ben thinking he's killing Snoke as a sacrifice but it's only a phantom or the like.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can't be the only one who thinks the unmasked Ren from Rise of Kylo Ren 2 looks a whole lot like Jeffrey Epstein with longer hair?

Interesting also we finally got Ben's opinion on being named after Obi-Wan Kenobi. As well as his take on Solo being a made -up name. I really hated that "revelation" from the Solo movie, and still do, but I think making it part of Ben's decision to try to abandon his past works.

Also no wonder why Hux hates Kylo Ren so much, he was already set up with Snoke and this weird emo guy shows up. Friendship with Brendol ended, Kylo is my best friend now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

10 Star Wars comic issues made the top-100 best-selling comics issues of the decade: https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/238869-Exclusive-The-2010s-Top-100-Best-Selling-Comics

1 STAR WARS #1
10 STAR WARS VADER DOWN #1
23 DARTH VADER #1
37 PRINCESS LEIA #1
58 JOURNEY STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #1
59 STAR WARS #2
61 STAR WARS #4
72 STAR WARS LANDO #1
94 STAR WARS #3
100 STAR WARS POE DAMERON #1

However, Star Wars did a lot worse in the top 100 best-selling trades: https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/238870-Exclusive-The-2010s-Top-100-Best-Selling-Graphic-Novels

62 STAR WARS DARTH VADER VOL 01
70 STAR WARS VOL 01 SKYWALKER STRIKES

I'm actually fairly surprised at comparatively how much better Star Wars comics have done as issues vs. trades (also just how heavily the top trades of the decade have been The Walking Dead... drat).

On the other hand not surprised but still a bit disappointed that none of Dark Horse's Star Wars comics made either list.

Also a bit interesting that of those 10 issues, all of them came out in the 2015 run-up to TFA, save Poe Dameron which came out a few months later in early 2016. The combination of nostalgia and Disney promotion is pretty powerful stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dash Rendar ended up loving a humanoid robot. Hence he's not Han Solo, he's Rick Deckard.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's pretty cool. I was actually thinking about how, after Rise of Kylo Ren ends and the TROS art book comes out, there's not really a lot I'm looking forward to. But I will definitely check out the first issue of this, at least. I know a lot of people don't like the IDW comics but I think some of their one-shot stories have been pretty fun.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Apparently the solicit for the new Star Wars Adventures being set post-TROS was a mistake and it was just supposed to say these will be the first stories with the characters since the movie's release.

Which is disappointing, but then again it's happened to SWA at least once before (a story was advertised as being set post-ESB, when it was actually pre-ESB).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There was definitely a collected edition of all the Crimson Empire series at one point, after the third series was published. It's probably super expensive to find now, though.

Speaking of the Thrawn Trilogy comics adaptations, the artist who did Dark Force Rising (Terry Dodson) is one of the few Dark Horse era artists who've also done stuff in the new Marvel run. The guy who did the new Thrawn comic for Marvel is another one of those Dark Horse carry-overs. I'd actually recommend the Thrawn comic over the novel. I feel like it's one of the few times a comic adaptation is better than the source material - the visuals add a lot, and it compresses what is, overall, not a super deep story.

I never read the original Marvels until recently and I think a lot of them hold up pretty well. The whole storyline with Shira Brie particularly was solid. And some great one-shot stories throughout.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm honestly surprised that they waited this long to do any kind of tie-in materials, considering how much stuff there immediately was for Clone Wars and Rebels when they both debuted.

I know the IDW comics are kind of looked down on but I feel like their tone and stand-alone nature is better suited to telling stuff along the lines of the show than some serialized comic like the Marvel Star Wars lines tend to be. Also if Phil Szostak's work is as good here as his art books for the movies, then that will be worth picking up (although the Art of TROS was a big letdown, but then again, it's something to do with TROS).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So is it true that Marvel is canceling the TROS comic?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

In case anyone was interested in reading the Dr Aphra and Vader books, but was unaware, there are a whole bunch of them from the beginning on Marvel Unlimited (Aphra up to issue 40). They've put a whole lot of the older Star Wars books on there too.
Here's a series of screenshots from in the app, showing the SW titles. http://imgur.com/a/v4eKaZE

Unless there's something super niche I'm missing, that looks like it's every Star Wars comic since 1977.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's really weird. For a moment I wondered if that was the Mary Jo Duffy era but she took over from #70 to the end, and as far as I can tell there's no major changeover in staff in that time.

It's also interesting that they differentiate the "Star Wars" and "Republic" comic series of Dark Horse.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Still think it's really funny that even Disney ultimately couldn't bother with Rise of Skywalker and scrapped the comic adaptation.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Boba Fett trying to deliver Han Solo, fighting rival bounty hunters, and getting involved with a dispute between Black Sun and Vader in between ESB and ROTJ? Where do they come up with these original ideas!?

I kid... though I honestly do hope Dash Rendar shows up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I want to read Aphra someday. I read the first few issues with her back in like 2015 and the character just rubbed me the wrong way, it came across like a Harley Quinn knockoff in all the wrong ways. But I've heard so much good about it, one of these days I need to find the time to go back and give it another try.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Aphra, I saw that Durge is returning in the Aphra comic soon. Perhaps related to the fact that the Tartakovsky Clone Wars is going on Disney+ on April 2.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I never thought of it before but I have to admit I do kind of like the idea of Snoke being Luuke (with the caveat that I like it as something that can work within what we ended up getting from the movies, my preference would be for something else entirely for Snoke). In addition to playing off the cloning and resurrection stuff, having Ben be seduced to the dark side and mentored by a hosed-up and twisted version of Luke after being failed by the real Luke is funny but also thematically appropriate. As is Palpatine deciding that if the Chosen One was ultimately "defeated" by his son, then he was just going to clone the son.

But I don't think it can actually be that Snoke is Luuke because wasn't it supposed to be that Palpatine made Snoke pre-Clone Wars? Or was that one of the things that got tossed out after TROS?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

I think the comment you're referring to was one of the novelizations having him say/think that he had seen the Empire rise and fall? Am I remembering right? Which technically, with a Luuke idea, would be true?

If Snoke was a dumping ground for Sith and Luke DNA, I think that would be a decent explanation for his appearance.

I think it originated in the Last Jedi novelization, but I feel like that bit got repeated in some other works also, but really can't remember now.

Snoke being a mix of Luke and Palpatine, or Luke and Plagueis, would also kind of work for keeping the midichlorian manipulation aspect going.

The more I think of it, the more I do like Snoke being cloned from Luke's hand. It's funny how for all the Snoke theories there were back in 2015, that never came up. Though actually, I'll have to go back through The Art of TFA, but I think (unless I'm making it up from a faulty memory) there was one idea from the early development where the proto-Kylo Ren character was going to pretend to be Luke who had gone to the dark side, which also ties in well to the idea that Snoke comes from Luke.

Ultimately I still think it would have been best for Snoke to have just been Plagueis from the start.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I feel Snoke should have just been Plagueis because from the framework of the sequels we got, the prequel trilogy is almost completely unimportant and disconnected and it would be a way to bridge that, especially given Luke's decision to end the Jedi Order is basically the only other prequel connection (and which he is ultimately proven wrong about), so having those two views on the Jedi and the dark side's legacy both stem from the prequels would be good. Along with the fact that the last Skywalker would sacrifice himself to kill the progenitor of the Skywalkers would also be a good full-circling.

Ultimately though I don't think Abrams originally gave any thought to Snoke's background, and neither did Johnson, and Abrams only changed it to try and justify bringing back the Emperor. Remember the month or two when the Lucasfilm people were claiming that Palpatine being resurrected was part of their sequel plans from the start? Still makes me laugh how Lucasfilm just kind of gave up the fight on TROS once the culture so uniformly turned against it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

As far as I'm aware, they've yet to retcon a character's live/dead status. It's all been background details so far. If that counts for anything. So basically that would mean, at a minimum, she's alive at this time, but they could always retcon some of the events transpiring for whatever reason.

I mean... Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Emperor Palpatine, Ming-Na Wen have all been brought back to life, in some cases with literally no explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maul got split in loving half and thrown down a shaft that was pretty loving definitive back then.

More than that, but at the time Lucas explicitly said that Maul was killed that way so that people would 100% know he was dead and not try to bring him back to life like Fett.

Also, Palpatine was thrown into a 100 mile deep shaft that led into the nuclear reactor of a space station that exploded 5 minutes later and we see the energy wave of his body vaporizing.