Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So SWTOR still continually getting story expansions doesn't count as "continuing the EU" then? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Utterly unsurprising, but I'll take it.

Part of me wishes that they'd just left it at Vader foregoing the saber and airlocking her out of spite, but again, she's just too popular a character.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The RO callbacks felt a bit overdone, to be sure, but I still really like Luke saying something along the lines of he being less certain about turning off his targeting computer had he known the sacrifices that it took to get him to that moment. Nicely introspective.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Huh, at the time I thought it ended a little abruptly but didn't think more of it.

Rechecking, it looks like the last page is in and lol RIP black Twilek and pink lady, you were entertainingly evil

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

:swoon:

Details here

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Vader #25 is out. Go read it.

Soule incorporates the Episode I teaser poster as a thematic motif, and that's probably the least crazy thing about this issue

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

There's buildings and junk in the cross-section :haw: beneath the castle

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lol Wendig wrote a story about a Vader-obsessive morgue tech for his cancelled comic and Marvel took it, changed the character to a female nurse, and churned out something that had me literally doing the Krusty "what the hell was that" gif by the end

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 25, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's doubly mystifying given that the last issue was loving fantastic

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Aphra is a visible case where that particular fantasy is officially acknowledged and pandered to, so I'm guessing there.

What?

She definitely was introduced as somebody with a fascination with Vader, but her overall narrative arc couldn’t have separated her from that persona any faster.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some stuff dropping at NYCC: The mainline Star Wars comic is restarting at #75, with Charles Soule stepping in as writer for the new run. Set immediately post-ESB. Greg Pak is switching over to write a Vader series, also post-ESB.

https://twitter.com/AiPTcomics/status/1180188791497220096
https://twitter.com/FriendsOfForce/status/1180190234874716160

Also more Aphra (duh) and a bounty-hunting comic.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Is Aphra continuing its numbering? Or ending its current run and restarting?

No clue, it sounds like the word is "we're doing more Aphra" and not much else

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well, this Rise of Kylo Ren cover reveals... quite a bit

solicitation posted:

With the new jedi school in ruins and fellow students hot on his trail for the murder of their master, Ben Solo flees to the only friend he has left in the galaxy…a man named Snoke. But Snoke has plans for Ben…and ideas about the Force that are as dangerous as they are intriguing for the troubled young jedi. If Ben wishes to be truly free…the answers might lie with the dark side. And with the Knights of Ren!

But it won’t be the first time he’s tangled with the Knights. In the past, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker journeys to the Unknown Regions and brings young Ben along for the mission. Can even Luke Skywalker stand against the fabled Knights of Ren?!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Also some decent one-offs include Lando, Obi-Wan & Anakin, and Han Solo. All a mix of great art, interesting world-building, and/or fun space hijinks.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

OhFunny posted:

So we're all agreed that the character at the end of the new Vader #1 is Sabé right?

Yes. It's been funny seeing folks knee-jerking with rage while completely forgetting Padme's many, many body doubles

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Doctor Aphra #1 is now dropping tomorrow on digital (still the 27th for physical)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Darth Vader #3 is out today, and it's drat good

https://twitter.com/jschedeen/status/1288507051266711554?s=20

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

So is it true that Marvel is canceling the TROS comic?

There's still been no official confirmation. This is its artist, earlier today.

https://twitter.com/WillSliney/status/1288453253743677440?s=20

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

the gently caress say you

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big crossover event announced today with a "what Boba Fett did in-between ESB and ROTJ" arc headed by Charles Soule

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/1361714804457619457?s=20

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

I guess it makes a certain amount of sense that the other hunters hired by Vader didn't just give up (and/or hadn't heard that Vader got what he wanted in Bespin) so the tried to steal Han from Fett....but....man this crossover doesn't feel all that exciting to me at all. The way they're marketing it; you'd think it's the biggest thing done in Star Wars but it just doesn't feel like something that "needs" to be a crossover. It's just an arc of Bounty Hunters or whatever.

Well, hopefully it's better than regular Bounty Hunters, which has been pretty drat mediocre so far

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I've dropped everything but High Republic and that might be on the chopping block, too.

The first issue was a bit meh, but I thought the 2nd was a huge improvement in terms of introducing some cool characters and building out Sskeer's PTSD

Then again, if you've dropped everything (Vader? Aphra? Lando?!?) then these comics in general may just not be for you

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I’ve been getting the new Aphra series and it’s..... just ok. More of the same and not really doing anything good or new which is a shame.

I've been enjoying this current arc with her and Sana much more than I did the kinda-watered-down Indiana Jones adventure that came before, but yeah, there's a certain spark that's gone. Still worth the read, nonetheless.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Teek posted:

War of the Bounty Hunters is kicking off with a fairly "major" character reveal/return:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2021/06/review-a-new-dawn-rises-as-a-major-character-returns-in-marvels-war-of-the-bounty-hunters-1.html

Glad to see her back, really surprised they got permission to use her. Maybe there was little expectation of her coming back in live action.

Somewhat amusing, because Qi'ra at this time is pretty much exactly the age Emilia Clarke is currently.

I figure if they bring her back with Emilia performing her it's for something set before this period anyhow. Though I also somewhat doubt this arc is going to end with her dead (despite the obvious this-person-is-about-to-get-cacked "pfft Boba Fett is just one man" dialogue), in any case.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Soonmot posted:

man i just so don't care about this war of the bounty hunters thing.

I'm enjoying it for what it is, but it really does feel like this crossover was dropped on a bunch of the comics authors on very short notice

Like the ongoing Star Wars comic was literally in the middle of an arc where they're trying to link up with the Rebel fleet, Lando's POed and is seemingly thinking of betraying everyone again, Poe's mom is trapped on a Star Destroyer, etc. All that stuff is now just shoved to the background or hastily resolved in favor of them covering WotBH.

Vader and Aphra seem to have integrated better (can't speak to Bounty Hunters cause I don't read it), though it's still noticeable in the former's motivation rather abruptly switching to "actually, screw my son and all his friends" past the end of the Exegol arc, where it initially seemed obvious the whole point of it was to transition to subdued ROTJ Vader. :sigh:

I definitely feel conflicted because bringing back Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn in relation to carbonite Han is actually a banger move thematically but it seems to have proven a wrecking ball to, well, everything else lol

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 29, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

So I saw that at the Barnes & Noble High Republic event yesterday, it was announced that the first issue of the High Republic comic has sold almost one million copies. I have to say that I am slightly skeptical about that, because that would make it the third best-selling comic of all time, just barely second to the first new Marvel Star Wars issue from 2015 which was launched with the full fanfare of Force Awakens mania behind it and boosted with a huge number of alternate covers and Loot Crate purchases. The idea that High Republic sells anywhere close to those numbers in 2021 is... slightly implausible to me, I'll say.

It's not so surprising when the first run of High Republic novels sat near the top of the New York Times bestsellers list for like a month straight

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 30, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good poo poo, she's been pretty great in WotBH so far

Also, I want to frame the Star Wars ongoing cover

https://twitter.com/SWSplashPagePod/status/1428431580276609028?s=20

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Annnnd now I can't unsee it. Dammit

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Trailer for the upcoming Lego Star Wars: Terrifying Tales Disney+ special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Xyiun4LXs

Seems clearly inspired by the Tales from Vader's Castle comics, not to mention Ren from the lovely Rise of Kylo Ren comic appears. Still can't believe that comic was as bad as it was.

As bad as it was I actually liked Ren and his beatnik-villain vibes. Wonder if they keep that characterization for the special or make him into more of a generic bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Crimson Reign is okay; a bit disappointed that Qi'ra ambitions are set from the start to fail because Palps is untouchable, I wanted more independent crime syndicates action.

My personal theory on that is they're actually building on her arc from Solo where she feels trapped in that criminal life. This whole scheme is actually meant to bring Crimson Dawn crashing down so she can slip out the back door and finally live free of it all. :unsmith: