Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Julius

Tri-wizard. As if the last debacle wasn't enough. Which means this is almost certainly true. Especially since my father had to deal with some prat of an importer who wanted to bring in a blasted wyvern for an "important purpose."

Whoops. Can't let myself get distracted, or Alora will actually get me. It's useful to let her get off some aggression here. Tends to blunt the edges of the next goofy usurpation attempt. Thomas and Regina are off trying to hit each other, and I can tell Regina is put out- perhaps she thinks Alora is a romantic rival. Well, she isn't, and Regina doesn't get to say that sort of thing, sideways glances at me aside, so whatever. She can have some time later and it'll all work out.

Thomas on the other hand, is angry. You can see it in the line of his wand, and the stiffness of his arm- he's having trouble holding himself back. But it's not aimed at me. It's aimed at everyone. Which is the point. I've been subtly slighting him for a bit, piling a bit on top of the lack of recognition. Firing him up. You see, the T-W needs someone to cheer for. After last time...

Who better than a worthy Hufflepuff?

I deflect Alora's spell with ease- we're a few lessons ahead of the curriculum. Behind her, I see Cory Slate, and suppress an undignified groan- he's looking at me again. The poor boy can't even do a Stupefy without screaming it to the heavens and still hitting an errant bird. No talent, no skill, and he's a drat Gryffindor, somehow. But... somehow, he's cozied up to Emily Thorsson, who is friends with... well, it's a bit of a chain but the point is he let slip while begging last time that he's the last link in a gossip chain that leads squarely back to "Fergie." I could use that.

He just knocked off the professor's hat. Put him down as a maybe.

Ugh, that reminds me. Going to need to quash the rumors about Billy VanZant. It's not my fault the lad claimed he could block a petrification spell and turned out to be blowing smoke, but now he's gone crying to mommy about it. He was only stone for a few minutes! And now that harridan Amelia VanZant is making a fuss by howler and letter. How did that family ever get so rich in the first place?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Julius

I've always got one eye on Fergie. Something is wrong about her, and I intend to find out what. Before it explodes in my face somehow. I just have this feeling that's going to happen. That feeling is very rarely wrong. That's part of why I picked Alora over Thomas today, as well- she's a bit slack in class so it's easier to keep my attention elsewhere. Like on the vicious flirtfight going on between Fergie and our old friend Ms. Saul, Queen of Airs and Dorkness. I didn't know she swung that way. I mean, generally she's straightforward to the point of stupid. I also didn't know they knew each other that well... Maybe I'll give Natalie's friendship attempts another chance. Especially if it means not having to deal with-

I hope that Cory didn't set fire to my hair. I spend a lot of time on it! But on the other hand, she's generally an equal pain in the rear end, so no harm in being nice, attacking multiple angles, you know. I give him a quick grin and thumbs up, waving Alora off for a round. "Nice shot! We'll talk later, ok? Maybe it's time you gave the audition another chance!" And then it's back to swiping away Alora's weak shots, as she stares at... The blank space where that kid who never shows is supposed to be? What's up with her today? Whatever. Make a note of that for later.

All that mess and still the nutjobs get points. I can't fault the professor for being stingy with the points for us. It wouldn't do to get the appearance of favoritism. It would undermine the entire idea. If we're getting free points because of our extra instruction, how are we the best? We're just another group of grubby Slytherin points-hogs. Shewsbury isn't stupid; we're under the gun from the other teachers all the time. Even the tiniest appearance of favoritism outside the club could sink it with enough pissants commenting. So she lets us speak for ourselves. With our skills.

I can fault her for giving points out all willy-nilly to those other incompetents, though. It's just encouraging them. That's the only way the points matter, really. Encouraging idiots to try and stand out, pander to the teachers in ways that will never matter one whit when real trouble comes. It's a stupid, outdated system, and I refuse to participate. Some club members complain, but it's their pain in the rear end, not mine.

KPrime !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot KPrime, 8+2 = 10 Manipulate Cory to be more agreeable later, with an offer of another go at club membership.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Julius

I keep my smile on. Don't get angry at "Julie". You're going to get called much dumber things over the years than that, if you aim for the top. No point in ruining this. Yet. Revenge later, in private. "Sounds good. I'll see you the-"

Oh, now who in all the hells is this? "blah blah blah Fergie blah blah blah." I almost brush her off, but she seems... familiar with Miss Lowell. Maybe in that blather there's something of use... Well, no harm in keeping up Mr. Nice Guy for another, brief, conversation. "Jennifer, what has Fergie done to you? It must be absolutely shocking. I promise you some assistance with your disagreement, but you have to explain what it is first... Is there some history? What's wrong?" All trite babble, but it sounds good and focuses her in on what I want to know: What on earth is wrong with Fergie Lowell?

Alora usually would be petulant about this interruption, but she still seems... off. Last time she did this was when what's his name... Godfrey, the Ravenclaw lad, dumped her for being "too controlling" last year. I don't think she was dating anybody this time... Or more accurately, if she was, she was hiding it. Which means she cares a lot more than usual. Very odd. Need to look into that too.

KPrime !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot KPrime, 10+1 = 11

Shoulda been +2 but what do I care. More manipulation of NPCs! MORE! Spill the beans, Jennifer!

• Locked thread