Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
Gahhhhhhhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

BUG JUG posted:

I don't think this is true.
he had demonstrably fantastic results with dallas, taking them from non playoff team to dominant force in 2 years and doing a really good job competing with superior detroit/colorado/nj teams. his best player in philly was a way past his prime jeremy roenick, his goalie was loving robert esche and he almost won the cup there. st louis was a kinda crappy team until he took over and they instantly became fantastic defensively. were now in the part where we convince ourselves that st louis is this supremely talented team and that hitchcock is squandering it, and this coach that no one has actually put forward but TOTALLY exists is way better

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

soggybagel posted:

He's sixth all time on wins. He's pretty good.

He's won one Stanley Cup, and made one other Cup finals in nineteen seasons. He's an above average coach, sure, but he's not one of the greatest of all time. That'd be like calling Dick Vermiel one of the greatest football coaches of all time.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

BUG JUG posted:

He's won one Stanley Cup, and made one other Cup finals in nineteen seasons. He's an above average coach, sure, but he's not one of the greatest of all time. That'd be like calling Dick Vermiel one of the greatest football coaches of all time.

did you see that marky mark movie? hes v. good

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm of the opinion that winning the cup isn't the be all and end all of greatness. If Joe Thornton never wins a cup he'll obviously get poo poo on a lot just like Dan Marino and many others but he's one of the greatest to ever play.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

We've had Cracknell languishing in the AHL for years. Also bumping a 4th liner up to the top line is stupid as gently caress. You know what else is stupid? Ever even thinking about keeping our best playmaker (Schwartz) away from our best scorer (Tarasenko). It'd be like putting Oates and Hull on different lines, or Backstrom and Ovechkin.
what is cracknell supposed to be an example of? hes never been more than a mediocre ahl guy and now hes quite a bit worse than that.

its actually not especially common to keep your best playmaker and best scorer on the same line, and schwartz aint oates or backstrom

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Im already wanting to vomit and im not even home from work yet im gonna throw up on the metro

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

soggybagel posted:

I'm of the opinion that winning the cup isn't the be all and end all of greatness. If Joe Thornton never wins a cup he'll obviously get poo poo on a lot just like Dan Marino and many others but he's one of the greatest to ever play.

Wins and what other metric would you suggest for evaluating coaches? Keep in mind: the season has not always been 82 games long, so if you go with just wins, you're leaving out a significant number of coaches who worked during a 40 game season.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I predict 5 shots on 7 PPs tonight for the Habs.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Hey that was Oshie's 5th career playoff goal, this kid is going places.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

ps. Jacques Lemaire has a better playoff win % than Hitch.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Book it - Dan Bylsma coach of the 2015-16 St. Louis Blues

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

BUG JUG posted:

Wins and what other metric would you suggest for evaluating coaches? Keep in mind: the season has not always been 82 games long, so if you go with just wins, you're leaving out a significant number of coaches who worked during a 40 game season.
looking at their results vs. how the team stacks up on paper, how they were before the coach got there, trying to isolate more coach related aspects of the game, seeing if young players develop under him

BUG JUG posted:

ps. Jacques Lemaire has a better playoff win % than Hitch.
lemaire was also a great coach and i dont think anybody would deny that? he also coached montreal and new jersey when they were pretty stacked, and his results were lesser with the comparatively weak wild

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

You're so close Minny you can do it! :3:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

yellowcar posted:

:krakken:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Yay, got that one back quick :woop:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I'm sorry Blues fans...

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Go The Wild Bitch

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Did I say backbreaker with 5 minutes left? lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Parise owns a lot

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

yellowcar posted:

yay!

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
cmon Parise hat trick

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
That was critical. Way to be Parise.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ginette Reno posted:

Parise owns a lot

I still have a mancrush on that beautiful traitor

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Please st louis you cant go out this way again

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

looking at their results vs. how the team stacks up on paper, how they were before the coach got there, trying to isolate more coach related aspects of the game, seeing if young players develop under him

I'll do that research for the offseason thread, but having watched hockey for a long time I just don't see Hitch stacking up as one of the greats. He is a good coach, sure, but he is getting fired if he doesn't get past the Wild.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So maybe the Blues should shy away from the "let the opponent waltz through the middle of your zone" defense if they want to win.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

heeheex2 posted:

Please st louis you cant go out this way again

They will, they always will.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

BUG JUG posted:

I'll do that research for the offseason thread, but having watched hockey for a long time I just don't see Hitch stacking up as one of the greats. He is a good coach, sure, but he is getting fired if he doesn't get past the Wild.
i dont doubt that he might get fired, every coach gets fired and hitchcock has already had it happen 3 times, i just think its a move theyll regret

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
duuuub

death to mact

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
oilers with hitchcock would be mighty tasty

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They're playing Husker Du at the Wild game.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

soggybagel posted:

They're playing Husker Du at the Wild game.

They played the Replacements earlier. It was pretty rad.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

BUG JUG posted:

They played the Replacements earlier. It was pretty rad.

Yeah but when is Prince going to take the ice?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Yeah but when is Prince going to take the ice?

C'mon, everyone knows Prince's game is basketball.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
He's dabbled at Vikings games.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Your St Louis Blues in: how do I handle the puck?

:sigh:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

soggybagel posted:

He's dabbled at Vikings games.

Yes I remember Purple and Gold, despite wishing it out of my brain.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
duby.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
God drat how does Minnesota have 4 guys in front of every player at all times

• Locked thread