Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
so fun fact, this was one of the first maps they did for this game

Well I mean... not the first first, since this is the first image of the game we have

Otherwise when it comes to hack changes, this chapter leads into the beginning of the Lycia Redux arc which I've covered earlier, but otherwise it's the same, I might move some recruits here till later, all really depends. I find this one a nice little breather after two very intense maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I'll admit, I got a chuckle out of you complaining about Gonzales not gaining any skill so soon after saying that Secret Books are worthless vendor trash.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Onmi posted:

Well I mean... not the first first, since this is the first image of the game we have

:psyduck: What?

Wwwwwwow.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RIP giant sword peg knights

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean seriously that first screenshot looks like something out of an isometric Suikoden.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lotish posted:

:psyduck: What?

Wwwwwwow.

FE6 was.... as I recall, sort of in development since the N64? Like originally it was Fire Emblem Maiden of Darkness. Which is Idoun's title, then I don't think that version really got off the ground (It's rumored that the N64 game lived as a concept up until FE9 was released)

Here are some other early screen caps

Hard to see but this is Lilina on Chapter 1

Roy used to look EVEN YOUNGER

And now for the usual "Prototype information we're not 100% sure was changed but we're pretty sure"

Character Changes

Guinevere was playable and acted as a second Lord.
It seems Lilina and Tate were originally cousins (perhaps changed when Tate became one of the Pegasus sisters?). It was mentioned that Lilina used “Storm and Thunder first”, presumably the name of her starting spells. An early version of the game does show her wielding two tomes, one of which is indeed Thunder, but the other is Fire.
Gale was recruited by keeping Miredy and Zeis alive and then talking with Miredy. There are signs in the release that Gale may have been a playable character at one stage.

Plot Changes

Murdoch was Zephiel’s brother.
Igrene possessed dragon blood, just like Sofiya. Not completely surprising considering the culture of Arcadia.
Brunya and Zephiel were lovers. In the release, there are implications that Brunya had feelings for her liege, but there is no tangible relationship.
The Binding Blade was obtained from Zephiel, instead of from the Shrine of Seals. In the Hasha no Tsurugi manga, Zephiel carries the Binding Blade with him, which may have been influenced by this.
Jahn survived his first battle and appeared again during the Final Chapter to aid Idoun.
Many Dark Dragons (not Demon Dragons like Idoun) appeared in the final battle. It seems some Dark Dragonstones could have been obtained, which Fa was able to equip.

Other Changes

The Eckesachs had 50 uses instead of infinite. It seems that it could be obtained, presumably along with the Binding Blade after Zephiel’s death.
The Dragon Spear was Gale’s personal weapon. Its stats were: 12 Might, 85 Hit, 5 Crit, 12 Weight and it had the effect of doubling attacks like Brave weapons. This weapon seems to be similar to Dean’s personal weapon, the Dragon Lance, in Thracia 776.
The Sea Sword could only be equipped by Heroes (perhaps to counter-balance Myrmidons with the Wo Dao?). Its stats were: 9 Might, 70 Hit, 10 Crit, 9 Weight and, like the Dragon Spear, it had the Brave weapon effect. The name of the weapon suggests it may have been in Echidna’s possession.
Meteor was a long-ranged tome, similar to in earlier games. It had the following stats: 11 Might, 65 Hit, 5 Crit, 12 Weight. Oddly, there is unused data in the game indicating that Blizzard was planned as a long-ranged tome, but nothing about Meteor.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Say what you will about Douglas, that beard is manly enough to take down entire countries.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That Sophia is lightyears below :mediocre:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Edward_Tohr posted:

I'll admit, I got a chuckle out of you complaining about Gonzales not gaining any skill so soon after saying that Secret Books are worthless vendor trash.

They aren't. They're incredibly valuable vendor trash. +4% Gonzalez hit chance is NOT worth what 4000 gold can buy with a silver card. I mean even besides the incalculable value of something like an extra pair of boots if you're outright buying stat boosters (or even just something like speedwings on Lilina or another similar character who only needs a small speed boost to dominate EVERYTHING), you could also spend that money on things like a pile of silver or killer or reaver weapons. Being able to give Gonzalez weapon triangle advantage when he needs it for a tiny fraction of that +2 skill book's cost is a much better bargain.

It's +4% to hit for one character. For 4000 gold. That's an insanely terrible deal.

Melth fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 4, 2015

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Melth, promoted enemy units have lower growths than their unpromoted counterparts, and Berserkers especially have abysmal growths compared to Pirates/Brigands, and Paladins have pretty low ones too. So that probably explains Garret, and Percival to a lesser extent.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Onmi posted:

so fun fact, this was one of the first maps they did for this game

That pegasus head....:whitewater:

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
that's a bridle

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Melth posted:

Gale I can understand not really being seen as a villain. Brenya is horrible though. I hate her and her whole archetype, and she's one of the worst examples of it. Selena is worse yet though.

Thing is though, just because someone isn't that great of a person, and just because they're on the other side, that doesn't necessarily make them a villain. That just makes them an antagonist. Same thing goes for people who are evil, and just HAPPEN to be on the hero's side (FE7 Karel). They may be the protagonists, but they're still villains (like it is with Walter White in Breaking Bad).

Besides, Brenya's too sympathetic to be an outright villain. She actually tells her men that they can leave whenever they want to, with no costs! It's not her fault that nearly all of them were stubborn enough to want to stay...

Not to say that she's a great character mind you. I also find people of her archetype to be somewhat irritating. But I'm just saying.

EDIT: By the by, something I've been wondering about...it seems like every single one of your screenshots has a different name than the other, rather than being classified under one big group, like FE6 1, FE6 2, FE6 3, and so on and so forth. How in the world do you keep track of what goes in front of the other with a system like that :psyduck: ?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 4, 2015

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

EDIT: By the by, something I've been wondering about...it seems like every single one of your screenshots has a different name than the other, rather than being classified under one big group, like FE6 1, FE6 2, FE6 3, and so on and so forth. How in the world do you keep track of what goes in front of the other with a system like that :psyduck: ?

Each has a number and a name actually. For example, the title picture for this one is "15 1 Title" The first number is the chapter, the second number is the order, and then the name reminds me what's going on in that picture or what I wanted to talk about. That's important especially for ones like 15 51 Beyond the Sky. Without that note, it's just a picture of my troops and I might have forgotten to take that opportunity to talk about how the theme Beyond the Sky is still playing.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I see. Interesting...

Anyways, remember that line where Clarine says "Hmph, I will not be friendly with you..."? Well, turns out, that was just a flat mistranslation, as according to Gringe, the guy who did the new localization (he frequents Serenes Forest)...

Gringe posted:

The Japanese just had her saying it was not the time for niceties due to the fact that they're surrounded by enemies, IIRC, but the old patch seemed to imply something a little different.

So there we go. Seems like the old translation mistook that phrase for Clarine saying that she wouldn't exchange in niceties right now, and thought she was saying that she was not going to be nice. Pretty interesting huh? At the very least, it makes Clarine slightly less obnoxious right?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

I see. Interesting...

Anyways, remember that line where Clarine says "Hmph, I will not be friendly with you..."? Well, turns out, that was just a flat mistranslation, as according to Gringe, the guy who did the new localization (he frequents Serenes Forest)...

So there we go. Seems like the old translation mistook that phrase for Clarine saying that she wouldn't exchange in niceties right now, and thought she was saying that she was not going to be nice. Pretty interesting huh? At the very least, it makes Clarine slightly less obnoxious right?

That's a pretty huge improvement actually. That was a massively obnoxious and pointless thing of her to say. On the other hand, she still pretty much never opens her mouth without saying something stupid or rude at any other point either.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

That's a pretty huge improvement actually. That was a massively obnoxious and pointless thing of her to say. On the other hand, she still pretty much never opens her mouth without saying something stupid or rude at any other point either.

...As far as you know! Who's to say that the localization patch doesn't improve on her dialogue in other ways? That's what you get when you intentionally play the bad translation :cheeky:! (Not that your critiques aren't still hilarious btb).

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 6, 2015

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

*Capital

I would say this is the end of the Etruria arc, but it isn’t. There is no Etruria arc. After the filler arc ends with 12x, Roy does a bunch of barely connected chapters with what might at a stretch be called an Arcadia arc. And then bam, he’s in the Etrurian capital and the war is over.

On turn 1 of chapter 13, the rebels won the civil war. They had driven the loyalists out of 100% of the country and all the way across the desert (somehow). The loyalists led by Cecilia made their last stand at the castle there and lost, with even Cecilia being struck down in combat. It was a complete victory for the rebels and left them with no enemies alive that they knew of. Total control of Etruria and a very firm alliance with Bern to boot.

Roy ignores them and mucks about in Nabata stopping Bern’s expeditionary force from destroying Arcadia or abducting Fa for a few chapters.

Then on chapter 16, Roy is suddenly in the Etrurian capital. He just… teleported or something. What’s more, it isn’t even the rebels he fights there mostly. No, it’s Narshen’s elite guards backed up by a few rebels like Douglas while the rebel leaders flee screaming into Ilia on their own. Where did the giant rebel army that took over the whole country go?

This story is wretched.

This chapter was almost good for this game, but is turned into arguably the very worst because of the absurd way its sidequest requirement works. More on that later.

Chapter Summary:
POOF! Welcome to scenic Aquleia, home of not the rebel army! The traitorous Arcard and Roartz flee to Ilia or maybe Sacae before the chapter even begins, abandoning their giant army and also their incredibly valuable hostage to just run off alone. Roy kills Narshen and instantly frees all of Etruria.

And got there! Wow, that was easy.

Except there’s like 10 of them. And then the leaders flee before the battle. Also why would they do this? They’re apparently just ceding the whole country other than the capital with no resistance whatsoever, even though the people of the capital are said to dislike them enough that they can’t actually fight there safely.

And now a digression about the St. Elimine church and how it has lots of followers in both Bern and Etruria! We were given this exact information at a more appropriate time much earlier in the game, and it was reiterated piecemeal at least once more since then.

Look, which army is it? In both this chapter and the last chapter, the game –or at least the translation patch- couldn’t make up its mind about who we were fighting. On 15 the chapter intro said Etruria, the Data screen said Bern, the R unit info said Etruria, and the in-chapter dialogue was very definitely Bern. There’s just as much waffling here, though it looks like we’re fighting a joint Béarnaise and rebel army force. That just makes their tiny numbers- especially considering the rebels apparently pulled everything they had out of the whole country to here- even sillier.

Of course they do! You never did ANYTHING to stop them! You said “I’m going to go to Aquleia and plan an attack on them. Go die pointlessly, Flaer.” Then you went to Aquleia and then didn’t actually plan or execute an attack of any kind.

It really feels like about 1d4 chapters are missing from the game here which would make both the plot and this line make a thousand times more sense. Maybe instead of wasting everyone’s time on the western isles they could have given us a real Etruria arc.

Oh wow, Murdock. We’ve been hearing how amazing and competent he is for 2 games now.

Narshen decides to try to butter Murdock up before talking to him, but it turns out the guard means “He’s in this very room at this very moment and about to talk to you in 5 seconds.”

Forget Kellam, Murdock is a veritable ninja. At 16 and 15 Con , Hawkeye and Gonzalez are both said to be giants who amaze nearly everyone who sees them. The enormous Hector can be shaded by Hawkeye. Murdock has con 20. This is off the charts. Like 8 feet tall and 600 pounds or something. Yet no one ever comments on him being even moderately large in either game. Zephiel too is bigger than 16 Con and not remarked about at all. Oh and this giant apparently just sneaked up on Narshen without Narshen noticing his presence -despite him being announced.

One explanation? I count about 20. Off the top of my head:

1) Telling Zephiel not to fight the alliance army at Araphen and to let him do it instead; a dumb idea to begin with.
2) Then just walking away at Araphen and ignoring the alliance army that was already inside the castle killing his men.
3) Deciding it would be totally reasonable to abandon his duties to go rape an Etrurian noblewoman- at a time when Bern is trying to cultivate friendly relations with Etruria no less.
4) Just walking away at Laus for no reason when the alliance army came running into a ready-made ambush.
5) Apparently just forgetting his whole army somewhere in Lycia and never remembering to retrieve them.
6) Sitting idly by for weeks while Roy killed all of Bern’s allies in Lycia one by one and liberated the country.
7) Bringing only 6 guys rather than an army- and calling for no reinforcements of any kind and doing no intelligence work on Etruria- when finally going to do something about Roy.
8) Not just killing the helpless Roy and/or Lilina before fleeing the Etrurians.
9) Making no attempt to prevent Etruria from securing the entire country or Eliwood (who lives on the very borders of Bern) from being allowed to begin reviving the alliance properly.
10) Making no attempt to either secure the supposedly valuable western isles OR sweep away the remnants of Roy’s forces OR even check Flaer’s premature report that Roy was defeated.
11) Failing to even defeat the cornered and massively outnumbered Cecilia after the rebels did all the real work.
12) Deliberately throwing away Flaer and his entire army in a battle for no gain whatsoever.
13) Not taking the Fire Emblem from Guinevere as directly ordered.
14) Not making any attempt whatsoever to ensure Guinevere was taken back to Bern and instead letting her fly right toward the enemy and immediately rejoin them.
15) Making no effort to take Arcadia as directly ordered, knowingly and deliberately throwing away another whole army in the process.
16) Making no effort whatsoever to stop the Lycian alliance army as he himself said he needed to.
17) Allowing the rebels to make the mind-blowingly bad move of apparently just letting Roy get right to the capital with no resistance.

Ok that part isn’t really Narshen’s fault. That’s Flaer being almost as dumb as Narshen. What’s Narshen’s fault is that no one double-checked Flaer at all, so Roy’s whole army was somehow able to sail over and attack by surprise.

Yeah. Even HE doesn’t know why he did any of this stuff.

… and Murdock jumps into the bottomless pit of stupid himself. He asked for an explanation and then immediately cut off Narshen’s explanation. Everything he says will pretty much be downhill from here.

About time, everyone knows Gale is better than Narshen and the only counterargument Narshen ever made is that Gale isn’t a native of Bern.

Ha! You’ve had 17 already! Surely he’s not going to give you another-

Oh wow. He does. Narshen is totally off the hook if he wins this battle. Murdock, you’re as dumb as him.

Murdock, why the heck would you intervene with the king to make sure this horrible general stays in power instead of your own trusted lieutenant who you know is better? Do you just want to keep Gale for yourself?

And then Murdock just leaves. He KNOWS Roy is about to arrive with his army, he KNOWS this is a critical battle, and he’s just walking away to deliberately let Narshen’s whole army be slaughtered instead of making any effort whatsoever to help. If Murdock joined in with some of his own troops, they would win the war right here! But no, he just leaves for no reason. That’s right. Murdock just pulled a Narshen.

Narshen has come up with a “plan” to get out of this mess.

He’s going to say Zeiss was a spy and that’s why they lost. But… that wouldn’t actually explain ANY of the things Murdock pointed out except maybe Flaer failing in the western isles. Furthermore, if Narshen fails here, he DIES and so does Zeiss! What good does this plan even do? Murdock just said that if Narshen wins, all is apparently forgiven! And if Narshen loses, he’s dead anyway!

He sounds almost as confused about that as I am!

Good question! They could do all sorts of things. For one, they could threaten to kill him if the attackers continue. Or since they control him, they could perhaps have him issue a proclamation in favor of the rebels or do something else to make the city turn back to their cause. Or they could kill him to spitefully throw the country into chaos and make it easier to take control again later- maybe trying to make it look like it was the loyalists’ fault somehow. Or they could just use him as a bargaining chip to get out alive and with a ransom if they’re in the surrendering mood they seem to be.

But they decide to do nothing with him and just leave him behind, fleeing themselves. Well that’s a wrap; the king is safe. Roartz himself says that Bern definitely wouldn’t harm the king even if they got him. And Bern wouldn’t even get him if Douglas doesn’t let them.

And then they just leave. Rebellion over without a fight at all.

This is so true, so true. You know what else is true? Etruria would never have fallen apart if you didn’t lie to the king and tell him his son had died for no reason. Or if you had at any point put your foot down and not let the rebels take him hostage. Or if you had just refused to aid them; that would also have stopped them in their tracks.

… what? If you want to prove your loyalty, go find the king and protect him! Arcard and Roartz just let him go; make sure Bern doesn’t get him next! There is currently NO WAY in which fighting Roy will make the king safer. Firstly, he’s not a hostage anymore (insofar as he ever was, since the rebels never actually used him as one). Secondly, Roy certainly means no harm to him- and Mildain is with Roy for that matter. Third, Bern might actually try to use the king as a hostage or kill him if they find out Arcard and Roartz don’t have him and Roy is winning. Fourth, if Roy is defeated then the king will never be free, his son will really be dead, and Etruria will eventually cease to exist.

Furthermore, a conversation on this chapter reveals that Douglas and Cecilia and Percival are actually NOT sworn to the king personally. They swore to defend Etruria the country and its people and are explicitly not the king’s private soldiers. By throwing away the whole country to help only the king personally, Douglas has actually been directly BETRAYING his knightly vows rather than upholding them. So his whole duty and knightly loyalty spiel is a complete lie and the opposite of what he’s actually doing.

This guy made a cameo on chapter 5.

Yodel explains the reason the church has helped Roy (besides the stuff Saul already told him which is now kind of being ignored).

The church is anti-dragon, Bern is pro-dragon. So Bern is anti-church. And the rebels are pro-Bern, so they’re then also anti-church. Kind of dumb of them politically; they’d probably have been better off making a show of supporting the church and disapproving of the whole dragons thing.

I… you know, I’m not actually sure how. Maybe using the Fire Emblem was how Zephiel broke the seal on the dragon temple? That definitely sounds plausible, but I don’t think it’s stated outright anywhere.

Yeah, about that, sorry about the whole massacre in Djuto and all. It’s been kind of weird that no one ever mentioned that battle where we attacked the Etrurian colonial capital and killed absolutely everyone.

This is supposed to be a hint about Douglas, but it’s the opposite of a description of him. He joined the rebels entirely of his own free will. Everything he says to the contrary is a lie or patent nonsense.

Battle Preparations & the Map:

Secondary Objective: Keep Douglas Alive
Secondary Objective: Recruit Hugh with Roy in the right area
Secondary Objective: Recruit Cath (spawns turn 10) with Roy in the bottom left area
Secondary Objective: Recruit Zeiss with Miledy
Secondary Objective: Steal the Red Gem from the central area mage
Secondary Objective: Steal the Red Gem from the top leftish mamkute
Secondary Objective: Steal the Blue Gem from Narshen
Secondary Objective: Steal the Delphi Shield from Narshen
Secondary Objective: Steal the Lockpick from the top right thief (spawns on turn 10)
Secondary Objective: Get the Berserk Staff from the first left chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get the Knight Crest from the second left chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get the Hero Crest from the third left chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get the Silver Bow from the fourth left chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get the Rescue Staff from the fifth left chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get 5000 Gold from the first right chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get the Bolting from the second right chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get the Brave Lance from the third right chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get the Restore Staff from the fourth right chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Get the Recover Staff from the fifth right chest from the top
Secondary Objective: Do some secret shopping
Secondary Objective: Build some supports
Reinforcements: Few but VERY spread out and without warning. Killing them all efficiently will take a massive commitment of manpower and careful planning. First, Cath spawns from the bottom middle stairs and a random thief spawns from the top right ones on turn 10. Then from 11 to 15 there are mercenaries from the bottom left and top right stars, fighters from the bottom middle stairs, mages from the left middle stairs, and … nothing from the top left ones for some reason?
Turn Limit: 25. A nice, generous time limit. You can’t dawdle with so much stuff to do in so many places, but you can definitely complete things in this time if you know what you’re doing.

Another absolutely enormous map with only 30 or so enemies on it. This one is one of the biggest since chapter 8, but is still smaller and easier to walk through than that abomination.

The enemies have really leveled off in power. There was that bizarre spike on chapter 11, a sharp decrease back to chapter 9 strength, and then a slow rise back to about the chapter 11 power level or maybe very slightly above. However, there are more promoted people than usual here and enemy gear is still slowly trending upwards. Lots of killer weapons and aircaliburs and horseslayers. The Mamkutes have rather different stats too:

Higher level but with lower def for some reason. Better speed though.

More problematically, there are also several long-ranged tomes (and a silence staff). The terrain strongly favors those enemies, allowing them to bombard you with more or less complete impunity over very long stretches of the map. Basically, every single one of your characters except your strongest mages will be 1 hit away from a long-ranged death at all times on this chapter until the enemy runs out of ammo. This is unpleasant to deal with. Night of Farewells and similar chapters in FE7 threw many more long-ranged tomes at you, but in those chapters you were actually encouraged to be proactive by finding ways to kill them early. Here that’s very nearly impossible. You don’t have long-ranged tomes of your own until this chapter is nearly over, definitely cannot silence or sleep the massive res enemies, and will have trouble even gunning down the bolting mage with a longbow unless your Shin is VERY high level.

Many key units- like Roy and Lalum- will be OHKOed by Purge or Bolting too, so beware of that.

The enemy are less problematic to deal with than the map itself though. There are a ton of important objectives scattered across the level and there’s almost no way to get efficiently from one section to the other. There isn’t even a rescue staff available until near the end of this chapter. In short, they taunt you by giving you the tools you want for this chapter only after it’s basically over.

One particular problem I’m going to have is that Roy must be on both the right AND the left side to recruit someone. Hugh will go to the right side no matter what, so Roy must get there- but he starts on the left! That’s a pointless bit of obnoxiousness by the map designers. Then, complicating matters further, Roy must get to more or less the exact opposite end of the map in just a few turns to recruit Cath. If only I’d remembered to actually click “Talk” on chapter 8!

Another issue is getting this member card from Hugh- who will be recruited on the right- to the top left secret shop.

The real kicker though is Douglas. Douglas must survive this chapter or you do not get the sidequest. There is absolutely no reason for this. If Douglas is alive, then the king tells you to go to the sidequest chapter to liberate an Etrurian holy site in a conversation in which Douglas is not present. If Douglas is dead, the king doesn’t tell you that. This is nonsensical.

What makes it worse is that if you miss even a single sidequest, you lose the whole game. You just don’t know it. You will continue on your merry way and then the game will abruptly end after chapter 22 with the plot totally unresolved and you’ll never see the real ending or the final chapters. And they don’t even notify you in any way that you’ve missed a sidequest here like they do with 12x. It is the dim mak quivering palm of game overs. You are already dead; you just don’t know it yet and the game will certainly not tell you. Hope you read a guide!

Now that probably still doesn’t sound so bad. Just recruit Douglas, right? Right! Except he can’t be recruited! He will flat-out refuse to join when confronted directly by Prince Mildain! Or his own daughter! And he’ll gladly murder them, in fact. Roy can’t even talk to him. That’s 3 or 4 restarts right there trying to figure out how to recruit him only to eventually realize that it's impossible. At that point you probably conclude he’s just a miniboss and kill him. He IS pretty definitely a villain afterall. And totally determined to die here. He will attack you relentlessly and never stop chasing after you even if you manage to get past him. And he loves to attack your mages and then get killed by the counter. The man has horrible defenses for a general so he’s really easy to kill, but he hits hard enough to kill your weak people. Really obnoxious stats.

So, you’ve restarted the chapter 3 times or so- after spending an hour getting to him with various characters each time until you’d tried everyone. At that point, you either make the smart choice and kill him- and lose the whole game- or you look up a strategy guide and find out you need to keep him alive. Once you KNOW that it’s not so bad. But to secretly disable the end of the game 9 chapters in advance for no story reason and without warning of any kind is absolutely unacceptable. And all the clues that suggest you need to recruit him- and the others that suggest you just need to kill him- only make things worse. Without looking up how to unlock every sidequest, you are nearly certain to lose FE6 and never know why.

And that’s the worst thing about this terrible game, worse than the nonsensical story and the flat-characters and the shoddy music and the boring level design and the guess-and-check reinforcements.

Anyway, I’m in the know, so I can actually formulate a strategy to deal with this nuisance. One commonly advised tactic is to use the Sleep staff on him. There are several problems with this. First, it’s a temporary stop-gap measure. He’ll wake up. Even if you burn the whole staff, it won’t disable him all chapter long unless you’re as fast as I am. Second, the success chance is quite low unless you’ve seriously ground up your staff users. For my roughly average Saul firing from point blank range, the odds are about 60%. If that fails, Douglas will then kill Saul. And of course I’ve lost 4 turns of disable. I can fire from longer range with a lower chance of success, but I’m still burning my whole sleep staff and just praying it works for a short-term measure. That’s a lousy strategy.

One absurd idea some people propose is that you should just avoid him. You have objectives all over the map and he will relentlessly pursue you. Unless you want to spend something like 50 turns gradually leading him around in circles as you carefully accomplish tasks without ever letting him corner one of your thieves alone, you outright can’t do this. He will go after someone and either corner them or prevent them from doing something important.

The idea of cornering him somewhere and just pinning him in isn’t much better. There are not a lot of 1 space corridors on this map and most of them lead somewhere important. Plus you have to restrict the movements of the whole rest of your army for several turns to be sure he takes the bait. And then you need to make sure the pinning unit can withstand his attacks indefinitely without help (and can’t kill him either).

Baiting him away to somewhere unimportant and having him chase a fast target is much more viable. However, you’re still probably going to need to squeeze a bunch of guys past him at least once before you can ditch him and lead him off to the unimportant area.

The best option is probably a combined arms strategy using Sleep to disable him long enough to run most people by and then having a bait unit lure him more permanently out of the way.

It’s a long enough level that you should count on restarting to revise your formations at least once. It’s just not likely you’ll get things perfect the first time. Here are those I eventually went with:

Units Allowed: 13 + Roy. It’s not a lot for such a giant map with such a huge number of things to do. But it’s enough.
Units Brought:
1) Roy. Required. He’s got slow little legs and he needs to run roughly 1.5 laps of the whole map to recruit everyone and then take the throne. Getting him around efficiently is going to be one of my hardest tasks, especially given his pointlessly awful starting position. And of course he can’t actually fight or anything. That almost goes without saying by now.
2) Lalum. Lalum is slightly less useful than usual just because having the party split up is bad for dancers. Still, she’s definitely very useful for helping keep the party moving across the vast distances. However, she is VERY vulnerable to long ranged magic. Mine will be slain in a single blow by either Purge or Bolting. That’s a huge problem and must be dealt with immediately.
3) Saul. Saul is the one who will deal with that problem. With a Barrier he can protect her long enough to run the enemy out of ammo. And with a Warp I may be able to eliminate the enemy early. He’s coming because he’s the only one who can use Warp- which is annoying because Ellen would be better with it (and with Sleep for Douglas just in case).
4) Astol. At least one thief is required. Astol has slightly more room left to gain levels and also has more Con than Chad, which will allow him to help with a couple of important rescues which Chad could not.
5) Thany. Thany isn’t actually very good, but I really want all the fast-moving units I can get. At 8 move- including the ability to fly over the annoying forests in the beginning area- she’s the best around.
6) Tate. Far, far better than Thany but not yet promoted. I hope to remedy that by the end of the chapter. Her speed will be very valuable here, though I need to watch out for the many Aircalibur mages.
7) Miledy. Required to recruit Zeiss. And definitely one of my top units. She’ll be handling some major threats this chapter. And her huge movement is very valuable.
8) Lilina. The only character who might be better than Miledy, Lilina can 2-hit kill nearly anything in the chapter and double them too. She’ll be doing healing and also killing stuff I need dead. And I hope to build support with Oujay.
9) Alan. I’m bringing the vast majority of my mounted units so Alan is finally making his triumphant return. His 8 move and great stats are nice, but even more importantly he gives bonuses to Roy and Lance.
10) Lance. Mounted, boosts Roy and Alan, and so close to level 20 himself…
11) Oujay. The best infantryman in the party will smash the hardest targets and stand up to any attack. Once I finally get him supporting Lilina the pair of them will be nigh-unstoppable. He’s also the bearer of Durandal, and I’ll be counting on him to butcher the top left mamkute- and possibly Narshen- with it.
12) Lugh. A very versatile unit, but not quite as good as Lilina. He’ll handle healing for the right party and is also armed with Forblaze to deal with the mamkute there.
13) Shin. He’s mounted and fights pretty well, so there was no doubt he was coming. But furthermore, he can wield a longbow and that’s the only way to take down the bottom right bolting mage. Unfortunately, mine falls just 1 damage short of one-round killing the nuisance.
14) Fa. I need a low-level unit to train and Fa should do pretty well. Since I’m going to do so much rescue-dropping anyway, her poor speed won’t be a big disadvantage. And the only threats who are hard to control on this chapter are people with ranged magic- which is no threat to her massive Res.
Notable Units Rejected:
1) Chad. It took some thinking, but I believe I can actually achieve every objective without starting with a second thief.
2) Ellen. I really, REALLY wish I could use her instead of Saul. Her much better Mag would let me use Warp way more effectively and also increase my chances of putting Douglas to sleep by roughly a third. However, despite having had a ton of use, she somehow still only has a B in staves.
3) Clarine. A mounted healer sounds appealing, but she can’t use Warp and I think I have enough healing as it is.
4) Gonzalez. Too slow and too hard to carry. I’m not bringing many non-mounted people here.
5) Treck. He’s got no resistance to magic, so he can’t actually do his job of tanking well. Worse, he doesn’t have the speed or the weapon rank to shred things on offense either. And I’m not bringing Gonzalez so there’s no one for him to support.
6) Noah. He’d be instant killed or close to it by ranged magic and he’s horrible in a fight. I don’t have room for dead weight.
7) Sue. Tempting. I did consider her instead of Fa, but Fa is better for XP generating.
8) Sophia. No. I need to move too fast to coddle a horrible unit like her- especially after her amazingly bad showing last chapter. She would be doubled and one-round killed by the bolting or purge guys. And when you’re a magic tank getting one-rounded by a mage, you know you’re a loser.
9) Dieck. Too slow. And Oujay completely steamrolled him in stats.
10) Rutger. Same as Dieck.

25 turns is plenty of time. That’s boring. I am going to win on turn 16, the earliest possible turn on which one can have harvested all reinforcements. And I’m going to achieve absolutely every objective.

This leaves zero room for imperfections in formation or starting gear.

The first thing to realize is that the right group actually needs to move much faster than the left group. They’re going to need very serious firepower and lots of fast people. The left group can take things a little slower since they have less ground to cover and a bit more time to cover it in. What I really need is to recruit Hugh as early as possible and then carry Roy very quickly and probably rescue chain him.

Roy has a fire tome and also the silver card for Hugh. The silver card should travel with the member card on this chapter. Other than that he has an iron sword, killing edge (for when hitting a bit harder will secure a kill), and the light brand for when he needs a ranged attack.

There is only one way to efficiently get Roy to the right side and that is to have an 8 move mounted unit in the rightmost spot of the left formation and another one in the leftmost spot of the right formation. They can rescue chain him to the right group immediately and from there he can be carried when he must be. Alan should be the one with the right group in order to accompany him. That leaves Thany for the left spot. She won’t be doing a ton of fighting, so she’s carrying a fairly standard assortment of lances and swords with no special gear.

The other 8 move flyer is the only person other than Oujay who can safely tear down the Purge user. And Oujay can’t maintain weapon triangle advantage, so he’ll miss a lot, plus I want him to stay back and support Lilina. Thus it’s Miledy who gets that dangerous mission. She gets a full use javelin which will be totally worn out, a spare javelin, an iron lance, a silver one for when she has to instant kill a mage or perhaps hack through the top left mamkute, and a vulnerary.

Saul has the necessary Warp staff as well as Sleep for Douglas, Heal, Physic for Miledy, and Barrier in case anyone needs more Res. Warping Miledy will leave him behind, so Tate and Astol will carry and drop him. Astol carries only an iron sword and his lockpick to leave room for much theft. Tate has an Elysian Whip for when she finally hits 20, an iron lance, a javelin, a slim lance for when she needs speed, and a vulnerary.

Lilina does not have Forblaze since the right side needs it. She has Fire, Elfire for killing tough foes, heal, a vulnerary and an empty space reserved for some of Astol’s stolen goods.

That leaves only Lalum on the left. She’s carrying a set of keys as well as a vulnerary so that she can pass them to whoever may be looting the left treasure room. It will not be efficient enough to just have a thief do that.

However, Oujay will immediately join the left group and is positioned for that (without interfering with the initial Roy pass). He’ll slay the dragon with Durandal and is also armed with an iron sword for normal fights, two handaxes (he’ll have to do a lot of ranged combat), and a vulnerary.

Thus the left side group will immediately send Miledy to try to kill the Purge wielder by turn 2 and shred all enemies in that area, without letting Saul fall behind. Roy will be transferred to the right group where he belongs. The rest of the left group is mainly heavy-hitters with a relative dearth of mounted units but Lalum to make up for that. With the exception of Miledy, they’ll make their way along relatively slowly and carefully since they have stuff that needs stealing to take care of. Oujay and Lilina will of course be traveling together when possible, as will the pegasus sisters.

The true right side group will consist of Roy with Lance and Alan (both with fairly standard cavalier gear and an iron axe for Alan) along with Shin and Lugh and Fa.

Lugh will handle healing but does NOT have a heal staff at the moment. Lance has that for him. If Lugh has a staff, the silence staff user will target him. It has only a 25% or so chance of success per hit, but I don’t consider a win a real one if I’m planning on taking chances like that and just hoping for a miss. The way to ensure it never even tries to silence him is just to not give him a heal staff until that Bishop is dead. So Lugh has fire, elfire, Forblaze to slay the right dragon, a vulnerary, and a steel sword to trade for Lance’s Heal.

Shin has an Orion’s Bolt, though I don’t think he’ll reach 20. Additionally he has his usual wide variety of bows: iron, steel, killer, and long. The longbow in particular is for taking down the bolting mage. There’s no way to even shoot at him on turn 1 without a dancer, Lalum is definitely necessary on the left, and Shin can’t take him down in 1 round anyway. Thus I’ll need to plan on taking 2 bolting shots without Lugh ever being allowed to end his turn with a heal staff.

Fa is carrying a set of keys. I don’t plan on her opening the doors and wasting time with chests herself, but she has a lot of free space to start off carrying them and then trade them to whoever is in a better position when I get there.

This formation allows me to immediately get Roy to the right side while also advancing Fa quickly via rescue drops. I should be able to kill the Bolting mage by turn 3 and hopefully the other nearby enemies too. A rescue-drop or two more should get Roy in range to recruit Hugh early and from there I can book it to rejoin the left group and then recruit Cath while the remaining right group spread out to loot the treasures or deal with the reinforcements.

The Characters:

Fa is the dragon chicken girl from Arcadia who was so eager to see the outside world that she ran off to see it even if it meant getting captured. She’s centuries old but has the brains and personality of a human 3 year old. Somehow, despite having doubtless outlived many generations of humans, she has no idea what death is and believes a human friend of hers from decades ago who clearly died just went somewhere else. Other than that person, apparently Sophia is her only friend. For no good reason, the elder of Arcadia –and perhaps his predecessors if he isn’t actually a dragon- kept her locked in her room with no contact with anyone else ever. This seems kind of abusive and serves no sensible purpose at all. She should at least have the run of the tiny secret village. No wonder she wanted to run away.

Roy didn’t ask permission even to bring her with him. And then he sent her out to kill people and try to avoid being killed in battle. She’s like 4 at the oldest in human years. Roy is sick. Hope all this brutal hand to hand combat before kindergarten doesn’t traumatize you, Fa!

Fa is not Myrrh. Myrrh flies, is super-effective against functionally every single enemy, is tougher against the attacks that matter, is faster, and is in an easier game by far. What’s more, Myrrh gets 50 attacks before she becomes 100% useless. Fa gets only 30.

Myrrh started out invincible and capable of instant-killing any monster enemy (which was nearly everything after she joined). Fa starts out 1-round killed by nearly everything and incapable of instant-killing anything. The only creatures her dragonstone is super effective against, mamkutes, will double attack her with 100% accuracy and kill her effortlessly even when she’s much higher level.

Fa is, in short, not actually very good. Nor will she ever be very good even for the very brief period while she’s at high level but still has uses of her irreplaceable weapon left. You should basically think of her as a General wielding Maltet but with relatively poor def and total invulnerability to magic. She moves slowly, is doubled by absolutely everything, is therefore 1-round killed by many things, but hits with nearly perfect accuracy and huge power- almost enough to instant-kill a dragon. Fundamentally, she’s great for your XP rank but not actually useful.

No substitute for a divine weapon ultimately.

Yeah, she’s sinister alright.

Canas’s much less mature and awesome son, Hugh lost his father when he was very young and has since been raised by his evil and abusive grandmother. Even though studying dark magic had effectively killed every single one of her children and he didn’t want anything to do with it, she still tried to force him into it. However, when she kicked him out and sent him out to travel around as a shaman, he realized he was untalented at it and hated it and became an extremely accomplished anima mage instead. Hugh is trying too hard to be roguish and cool to actually succeed at either- or much else. He’s kind of a buffoon really, but pretty likeable and more developed than usual for this game.

Hugh is fantastic. I don’t know why so many people say he’s just ok or is just a balance between the speedy Lugh and the powerful Lilina. True, he IS slightly slower than Lugh (by about 1 point) and slightly less magically powerful than Lilina, but he’s so much more than that. Just like his father, his great strength is being pretty good across the board. He’s not much weaker than Lilina, not much slower than Lugh, and completely blows them both out of the water with MASSIVELY superior defense and HP. Just like his father, Hugh can actually stand tall on the front lines and take hits as a mage. His dodging abilities are quite respectable too; on par with Lilina’s and just a few points behind Lugh. Oh and his Con is WAY better, which not only lets him use high end tomes like Bolting and Fimbulvetyr way better, but also lets him carry and drop the other small people in this game- that’s very handy.

In a game where nearly everyone is weaker than FE7 people, Hugh is actually stronger than Canas in basically every stat. Think about that one for a minute here. His only real weakness is poor Res, but that stat is largely unimportant- and he still has plenty. Oh and he even has a solid affinity and a great support pool (though his supports grow slowly). In short, he’s the best mage in the game. And that means he’s one of the best units in the game.

Zeiss here is one of his few competitors. Zeiss is Miledy’s younger brother and seems to be a lot less high ranking- but apparently high enough that everyone knows his name in the upper echelons of Bern. Perhaps that’s just because everyone knows he’s Gale’s girlfriend’s brother though. Anyway, he’s straight-laced and serious and his supports don’t really develop him beyond that and being a proud- if inexperienced wyvern rider.

Zeiss is Miledy but slightly better. And since she was arguably the best unit before he came along, that makes him top dog. His starting stats put Gonzalez to shame, he has much better weapon types available, and he grows a lot better too for a while. Zeiss is not, as people say, an Est. He joins already an invulnerable death machine and then actually runs into something of a wall. That wall is his caps. Like Miledy, Zeiss will cap HP, Str, Skill, and Speed pretty much guaranteed at a low level. And then there’s not much he can do, so he stagnates. This is the only reason he’s not indisputably the best unit around. Gonzalez will eventually grow way past him in Strength and Speed, perhaps enough to make up for his far inferior skill and defense. The mages will keep growing and growing pretty much all game too. But that still leaves him as an 8 move flyer impervious to all physical attacks, strong enough to kill nearly anything, and fast enough to double nearly any foe.

The Traitor-In-Chief of Etruria’s forces himself is here at last, though unrecruitable until he joins up next chapter. I’ve said most of what I have to say about what a jerk and an idiot he is, so I’ll just say that Intelligent Systems does a lousy job of trying to make him seem sympathetic or admirable in his supports. Screw this guy. Everything bad that happens to Etruria in this game is his fault and he gets away with it scot-free.

He’s a terrible pre-promote. 20 def as a level 10 general? Just unacceptable. And 8 speed! Even Barth is doubling him easily. The worst member of one of the game’s worst classes.

They gave him a silver axe though which means that, despite his lousy Str, he can still kill most of your fragile people. Meanwhile his cruddy Def and HP mean he’ll be torn apart if he ever attacks one of your strong people.

There’s really not much more to say about Narshen at this point. I could have tolerated him being cartoonishly evil, but the way he made the whole plot nonsensical is just unforgiveable.

Narshen fights a heck of a lot better than he leads, but he’s still thoroughly unimpressive. And like most wyvern rider bosses, he feels incredibly easy to kill because he doesn’t benefit from the throne he sits on.

His gear is his strength. See, the Runesword is totally unlike the Light Brand and WAY better in this game. It uses his full Str, attacks the enemy Def, and heals him by the damage dealt. In other words, it’s just a really strong sword with 1-2 range that heals the wielder. That makes it arguably the best weapon in the game.

The Delphi Shield there is an item alluded to in Arcadia and seen previously in FE7; any flyer who carries it does not suffer from super-effective damage from bows and aircalibur. Quite handy. However, Narshen is still very vulnerable to magic attacks in general.

Melth fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 12, 2015

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Playing Through:

“I just… warped in, you know?”

Another bad level for Saul. Mine has really turned out completely sucky across the board. And that’s saying something.

Because Saul’s magic power is low, there was no way Miledy could start on the other side of this paladin and thus no way to kill the Purge user immediately. Instead she gets a lucky crit trying to carve a path through him.

The Roy rescue chain begins.

And continues smoothly.

And finishes.

Now a minor bit of rescuing wizardry. Lugh actually pulls Fa back here.

Which allows Lance to step into that space and then drop her forward. She nets +1 squares overall, and Lance and Lugh get to crowd in closer too.

More rescuing gets Saul to a reasonable place.

And Astol starts running up to eventually steal the red gem.

That’s dangerous accuracy considering Roy is fully supported with maximum possible avoid bonus.

The Purge bishop finds this mercenary Miledy left alive and therefore heals him instead of firing.

And Zeiss and Gale pop up to have a chat.

Gale somehow knows all of Narshen’s secret plans for Zeiss and warns him.

So he tells Zeiss to just hang out here.

Well those are terrible orders. That basically makes Murdock a traitor. He has the means to help Bern win this critical battle, but decides he’d rather watch Narshen fail. Gale too really. They’re both nearly as stupid and incompetent as Narshen.

I’m not dealing with your 3-10 range instant kills today, man.

Even as a falcoknight, Thany is totally ineffective against mercenaries and needs to be healed up after every fight.

Score! My Lilina is SO blessed where it counts.

Saul heals Astol too.

And he moves up again and gets a nice level attacking the fighter.

Leaving this mercenary to Tate.

Oujay blocks the fighter in so he has to attack Astol.

Alan gives Fa a kill.

She turns into her giant chicken form. I appreciate her 100 accuracy after trying to train Sophia.

Darn. Well it doesn’t matter much; I still couldn’t kill the guy before next turn.

Everyone else just crowds in.

Why is that your biggest concern? You’re about to die.

A pretty solid Miledy level as the one-woman army keeps hacking through the nearby enemies. It’s too bad she’s going to cap all that left stuff soon and then stop growing.

Because I couldn’t kill the Bolting guy, it’s touch and go for one turn here.

But now I’ve got this. First, a kill for Roy. I need to get him to 20 fairly soon and that’s not easy when he’s so weak.

Now the bishop is down, so Lugh takes back his heal staff from Lance and starts getting people back to full health.

Lance weakens this fighter for Roy to kill.

… or not. I dislike critical hits more and more every day. They’re especially bad early in Awakening Lunatic or Lunatic+ mode where any enemy critical OR critical by one of your own units often means you lose, but they really get in the way of strategy in every game in the series.

Pretty good level at least.

No more purge, no more silence, and no more bolting. Things are under control now.

A little late. It would have been really nice to have that +1 damage a few turns ago.

Another kill for Fa. What’s she supposed to be breathing anyway? It’s clearly not fire.

Pretty nice. Def is what I’d most like, but her Def growth is actually pretty poor.

Astol swipes the red gem from the mage.

And Tate kills it.

Thany helps Lilina catch up.

As does Oujay. Everyone is ready for that mage with a 1-2 range weapon.

Miledy has to deal with 2 aircalibur mages soon, so she moves to safety and Saul heals her up.

Alright, her dodge is pretty adorable. Anyway, it’s important to note that turning into a chicken to defend herself from a ranged attack does NOT use up any charges of her stone. She only spends charges when she attacks.

Like now.

Nice! Fa is doing well so far. Notice that she gained 2 HP this time. Both her Luck and her HP growth are actually over 100%, so she always gains 1 point of them and sometimes 2.

Here comes Hugh. I want to recruit him on my next turn.

So Alan and Lance carry Roy to the edge of Hugh’s range.

Tate gets another kill but still doesn’t hit level 20.

Everyone else keeps moving through this boring slalom hallway.

Some rescues keep Lalum moving along.

And Saul gets his final, still horrible, level up.

Time to fight the aircalibur mages.

One down.

Fa is falling behind, so Shin carries her.

We sure do!

Sure could. The ideal party would pretty much be nothing but wyverns and mages.

Hugh moves to deal with the knight. He’s only 1 Mag short of one-rounding him already.

It took a while, but I’ve decided how I’m going to get into the treasure room, and this formation will cover it.

Miledy instant-kills the other aircalibur mage. Douglas will be badly injured but not quite one-round-killed by her.

Stiiiill just trying to move through this hallway.

A bit of rescuing gets Astol in range to open the door.

With the help of a dancer, even infantry can do some pretty great rescue-drops.

So I’m back in support formation and ready to kill the knights (and maybe the bishop if it doesn’t have a target it wants to heal).

Just one point of Mag is all he needs to start laying down the instant kills.

Fa uses her key to open the door.

Hugh, now armed with a Fire tome Roy had for him, kills the knight.

Shin takes Fa’s keys, then Alan and Lance carry her out.

She’s in bishop range now, but no worries. Fa is impervious to even the strongest magical attacks.

And with that space cleared, Lugh kills the mamkute.

That spell is epic.

Kind of a meh level. Oh well. He’s still doing very well despite his recent run of mediocrity.

Astol opens the door.

Tate gets a great final level.

After a dance and a heal, she promotes. Looking good!

It’s turn 6 and the enemy is basically wiped out. I’ve been doing pretty awesomely.

Douglas is on his feet because of these physic bishops. Which is why I’ve been leaving them alive.

Since there’s basically no one but Douglas left to heal, the spare bishops start attacking.

Money!

Roy has places to go, so Alan is just running with him.

Fa kills the bishop. She’s doing great on Def.

Hm, how to proceed. Because the AI loves to attack the lowest Def person, I believe I can force Douglas to go after Astol, which is for the best.

And a bolting. That could come in handy.

Lugh heals Fa up. She needs the extra HP badly.

Douglas is still trouble. He could kill Lalum or Saul here, and he could be killed by Lilina (who he REALLY wants to attack).

For now I take out the last bishop.

Sleep is really not a viable option here. I’m not running a 40% chance of Douglas dodging it and then doing something stupid.

After Miledy unequips her good gear, she and Astol control Douglas instead.

Douglas gets a lucky hit on Astol.

And Oujay had just terrible luck here, double-missing and getting hit.

Another kill for Lugh opens the path for the two groups to reunite.

Shin skips down to this chest so that he can move efficiently get back into the action later on.

With help from Lalum, Astol can reach the mamkute.

Wow, a completely empty level. Unlike Nils/Ninian, her speed cap is a lousy 20 instead of 30, which hurts her badly.

Alright, that’s both red gems. Now the only items left to steal are Narshen’s and that of the thief who hasn’t spawned yet.

Durandal OHKOs the mamkute.

Nice. I’m hoping he’ll cap his Luck.

Now Alan gives Roy to Thany who is then able to drop him near where Cath will spawn.

Lilina fells the last sniper.

That makes 5 or so.

Hugh vs knight round 3.

Miledy is now ready with the member and silver cards traded in from Hugh and Roy via some intermediaries, so she heads off to go recruit Zeiss.

I spotted a chance to get rid of Douglas, so Roy actually pulls back to let him chase after Thany. That means I can’t recruit Cath quite as soon, but it should still be worthwhile.

And here she is.

Now because Shin was standing on the last chest on the right, the thief instead started heading left- which sends him right to the waiting Astol. Just as planned.

Tate is ready to deal with the mages who will now start spawning and she and Miledy work on the wall.

Thany leads Douglas away.

The left force here is kind of light considering they have to deal with 2 sets of reins and also get 5 treasures.

Pretty bad level there.

So here come the reinforcements.

Tate lies in wait for more mages with her javelin.

Fa, Shin, and Lugh will be dealing with the top right mercenaries.

Wow, Fa is doing great on Def.

Yoink!

He also assaulted her.

He gives Cath basically the same speech Lilina gave Garret and she joins for the same reason.

So I’ve realized that the only way to win in time is to give Lilina the chest keys and have her work with Cath to loot everything. That leaves way too few people to deal with the reins here since Roy has to get to Narshen.

Lugh keeps Fa going.

And Alan and Lance send Hugh to help Oujay out, a minor change of plans.

Luckily Oujay is strong enough to completely slaughter mercenaries even with an iron sword.

The wall is broken at last.

And the thief is killed too.

Nice! Double HP AND Luck.

And another heal.

Lilina and Cath get to work.

Roy is ready to be carried by Alan and Lance.

Douglas has been neutralized.

Hugh gets a pretty bad level as he joins Oujay in the fight. On the other hand, this does give him all the damage he needs to start one-round killing knights. Too bad there are none left.

Another hero crest. The game is too stingy with them.

And another knight crest. We went quite a while without one to promote Lance but now there’s plenty around.

Miledy recruits Zeiss.

So… you betrayed Bern. You totally did. There’s no other way turning around and killing Bern soldiers on the orders of Guinevere, who also betrayed Bern, can be described.

More Fa goodness.

Astol swipes the Delphi Shield.

Alan and Lance carry him out.

Hugh kills a fighter.

A pretty good item, though I still have a dearth of good staff users.

And that’s the last chest.

Just another point or two of speed…

Miledy gets to the secret shop while Zeiss starts fighting some mages. They’re his hard counter but he can still flatten them.

This game only has 2 secret shops and they don’t really sell interesting stuff, just promotion items and then stat boosters. Buying stat boosters (especially boots) is an easy way to completely break the game, so I won’t be doing it.

With a vulnerary, Zeiss keeps fighting the mages.

Fa is just getting better and better.

The timing is now right for Alan to attack Narshen. I should be able to kill him on turn 16, just after the last reins spawn.

Remember that part when Narshen was right about anything ever? Neither do I!

I’m looking forward to fighting a bunch of random episodic villains who actually do things instead of this guy.

As you can see, there’s not much to be found here. I’d be interested in buying fun toys like super-effective weapons or Physic or Barrier, but they’re not available in secret stores in this game.

It’s turn 16 so the last enemies are here and ready to be killed. Astol swipes the very last item.

A pretty bad level, but oh well.

Remember the 15 or so times you could have beaten us?

Turn 16 win! This chapter is too big, but it would still be one of my favorites due to the huge number of things to do if it weren’t for Douglas.

And here's the king, completely unguarded and unharmed. At no point did anyone try to use him as a hostage or anything.

His portrait kind of sucks somehow but I’m having trouble putting my finger on just why.

Go on the sidequest!

We’ve been told that a few times.

Dude, we KNOW Mildain is alive and with us!

Ugh, what’s wrong with you? There’s no one to hide from anymore- not that you should even have hidden that you were still alive from the king himself to begin with.

That was one of my more glorious victories and pretty much the best outcome possible. I stole absolutely everything (down to the northeast thief’s lockpick), got every single chest, found time to visit the secret shop, maintained support formations most of the time, recruited everyone (including Cath, who you don’t even usually need to get), unlocked the sidequest, killed every single enemy, won on the earliest possible turn, exceeded the XP requirement by several hundred XP, and didn’t even have to burn any of my Sleep staff.

Total Restarts: 10 (I did a few partial test runs to improve my starting formation)
Turn Surplus: +14 (Scored 9 whole turns here!)
Things I Regret Missing: A couple of uses of Marcus’s silver lance on Rude, a Chapter 5 nomad Marcus had to kill, two Chapter 12 fighters I couldn’t kill since I needed supports built elsewhere, a pirate and a wyvern rider on 14x who I didn’t have time to go after.
Legendary Weapon Scoreboard: Durandal slew Ohtz using Oujay on chapter 14x, turn 2 and the top left mamkute using Oujay on chapter 16, turn 9. Forblaze slew the top right mamkute using Lugh on chapter 16, turn 6.

Melth fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 12, 2015

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Very nice, although I'm guessing the (unintentional) decision of delaying Cath's requirement actually saved you more time than getting her back in 12 (where there's almost nothing for her to steal for you by the time she's recruited).

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Onmi will eventually post a picture of the following fact, but Douglas is in fact programmed to not attack Elphin or Lalum.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Can Of Worms posted:

Onmi will eventually post a picture of the following fact, but Douglas is in fact programmed to not attack Elphin or Lalum.

Hm. I was under the impression that he would not attack people who had talked to him, but would attack them beforehand.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh hey, Melth, in your last thread you said some of your friends from other sites wanted to read your LP, right? I believe non-goons can view the LP subforum right now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

Hm. I was under the impression that he would not attack people who had talked to him, but would attack them beforehand.

Oh man, you have no loving idea

The is almost every moving enemy in the map piled behind Douglas. Because if you never open the door they all bee-line. Still the funniest thing I did on stream.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Onmi posted:

Oh man, you have no loving idea

:magical: That... That certainly is some kind of impressive.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Melth posted:

Just Lalum/Elphin.

He'll still gladly cave Perceval's head in with an axe after all his talk about he must survive to lead Etruria to its future~!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Didn’t we just do one of these? Well the lack of an Etrurian arc means the Etrurian sidequest comes almost immediately. It’s a really bad chapter and doesn’t get as much hate as it deserves. And it’s also a really boring one, so I have little to say about it.

Chapter Summary:
Roy kills a few lingering rebels in Aquleia in a sacred tower of some kind and gets another legendary weapon before having an important chat with Guinevere. It’s time to take the offensive against Bern and he wants to make sure she understands that.

Oh really?

Oro 2. This time, it’s personal.

The inexplicable collapse of the rebellion and Roartz fleeing without a fight caught even his men off guard!

Windam here doesn’t seem to have considered the possibility of just surrendering and assumes they’re all going to be killed no matter what, so he’ll just try to kill the Lycians too. Maybe he heard about how Roy killed absolutely every soldier in Djuto without allowing them a chance to surrender!

The Heavenly Arrows are the trap du jour. The generic minion gives the generic minion line.

And Windam gives the generic villain line.

They called me mad. Mad!

… thank you, General Obvious.

All he did was tell us the giant tower is the one we were looking for! We could have asked anyone on the street for directions. And we went out of our way to spare him despite him being a traitorous wretch who was trying to kill us. It’s him who should be thanking us for helping him.

Battle Preparations & the Map:

Secondary Objective: None. It’s boring.
Reinforcements: Yes, actually. It’s a nasty surprise since all other sidequests so far had a conspicuous lack of reinforcements. Also the spawn points don’t make a whole lot of sense. But on turns 8 and 18 a bishop with lightning, silence, and physic will appear from the top left point of the tower. On 10 and 20 one will come from the right.
Turn Limit: 25. Plenty of time if and only if you’re efficient in running the enemy out of ammo.

The final floor of the Tower of Valni as well as a map in FE1 3: Beyond Thunderdome FE11 are based on this one. The Tower of Valni in particular is much, much better. This map is mammoth, has a really annoying and luck-based trap gimmick instead of a semi-interesting one, and has much more aggravating terrain.

I should cover the trap first. At the end of every enemy turn, 0-2 columns chosen at random will be hit with the “Heavenly Arrows”. These inflict 10 damage to any units in the column. Only certain columns may be picked, and I’ve drawn a purple line through those. It is commonly said, but totally false, that the trap never targets columns with enemies. It is true that none of the eligible columns initially have enemies, but enemies who walk in will be hit just the same as your units.

Now the other well-known feature of this map is that it bristles with long-ranged tomes and staves. There are fewer initially deployed than Night of Farewells (which was much smaller) and fewer period than Cog of Destiny, but they’re much worse on this chapter. What’s different here is that you can’t DO anything about them. The terrain means you have to just sit there and take it. Even using Warp as I did last time wouldn’t work. There is no unit available to me which could actually survive being warped into the top central area to start shredding the 2-3 boltingers, 2 purgers, multiple staff users, etc. aimed at it.

The Bolting tome I got last chapter won't work either since it will barely scratch these bishops due to their mammoth Res.

You fundamentally lack the tools to approach this map. In FE7 a wise player could have purchased an extra Barrier from the secret stores and pure waters were available; not here. In FE7, the healers actually had good Res. Clarine (and Saul) don’t. My Clarine will be instant-killed by any bolting or purge enemy on the map. And she’s level 18. Lalum too will be instant-killed. So you can’t really USE the people you most need to deal with status staves due to the long-ranged tomes. The game has gone out of its way to make sure you have no good options available.

The result is that not only can you not in any feasible way turn the tables and play this map proactively, you also can’t really play it defensively well either. The units you need will be instant killed and even your toughest anti-magic units will probably be at high risk of death because of the physical attackers and the threat of the heavenly arrows. Those are really the worst part. Sooner or later you WILL have a low-HP unit in one of the critical columns that the traps affect, and you just have to hope they don’t strike that column that turn.

The XP requirement for this chapter is ludicrously high at 2500, especially considering how many enemies are now back down to level 12 or 13 for some reason. They’re still dangerous enough to knock your HP down for a Bolting or heavenly arrow to finish you (especially since many have silver weapons), but they don’t give much XP.

The most immediate concern though is Windam’s Berserk. The cursor marks the true extent of his range. Yeah, it’s most of the map. His accuracy will be 100% on just about anyone too. So you absolutely must have restore staves in hand- and I mean it when I say plural restore staves because the Silence sage’s effective range is actually even bigger.

Kind of like the 3rd quarter of Night of Farewells, the best approach for a run where speed matters is to get in range of as many long-ranged enemies as possible at once and try to run them out of ammo under controlled circumstances. The other enemies will mostly sit by passively while you do. The problem is that you can’t actually keep your dancer, healers, Roy, etc. safe and the Heavenly Arrows will rain down at the worst times. Which makes it close to impossible without at least some luck.

Since even my strongest units can be slaughtered on this chapter if I’m careless, I’m going to actually go with a fairly weak and low level party overall. The XP requirement is so high that I’m not actually sure if I can beat it at all, but I want to try. The only way this group has any chance at survival is if I very carefully manage the Purge bishops to run them out of ammo quickly while also ensuring that the two of them never fire on the same turn. I can do that by making sure exactly one of them has a Physic target in range every turn.

Units Alllowed: 9 + Douglas + Roy. A shortage considering the sheer number of healers and support units you need to approach this chapter and the 2 way split.
Units Brought:
1) Roy. Required. A trashy fighter as usual. Can be sniped in 1 hit.
2) Douglas. Required. Can be killed in one fight because some of these enemies double him with their siege tomes. He’s complete garbage here. And everywhere else.
3) Clarine. One of only 2 restore-wielders who isn’t level 20. Can be sniped in 1 hit.
4) Lalum. You cannot get through the early turns without her since there’s basically no other way to make sure all status ailments on your restorers can be cured and all injuries can be healed. Can be sniped in 1 hit.
5) Shin. The nearby sage with Bolting is the most dangerous attacker on the level. With him down, Roy and some others can actually survive 1 attack from all remaining attackers. Shin is the only one who can deal with him efficiently. Can be sniped in 2 hits.
6) Ray. Very close to level 20, at which point he’ll become a much-needed extra healer. He’s shockingly terrible at dealing with magic attacks though. Can be sniped in 2 hits.
7) Hugh. Similar to Ray actually, though a bit lower level. Can be sniped in 2 hits.
8) Zeiss. Already capable of going toe to toe with any enemy on the chapter, he’s my lowest level good fighting unit. His mobility and rescuing skills are also useful. Can be sniped in 2 hits.
9) Lilina. My best unit here. She’s got the best resistance of the whole party except Fa and her healing and high damage are also invaluable. Can still be sniped in 3 hits- or a single physical hit and then a heavenly arrow.
10) Ellen. The only healer I have who can stand up to this kind of fire. Can still be sniped in 3 hits- or a single physical hit since all the enemies still double her and she still has 0 Def.
11) Fa. The best anti-magic tank in the game, she only takes scratch damage from bolting. But a single physical attack and then a heavenly arrow is death.
Notable Units Rejected:
1) Saul. I’d rather be bringing him than Clarine, but he’s level 20.
2) Anyone good: I’m trying to beat this level with the lowest level people I can to try to test the XP requirement. Plus most of the good characters still die in 2-3 hits anyway.

In order to clear this level quickly, I need to immediately get someone into Berserk and Silence range to start running the enemy out of ammo.

However, I need to make sure no one fragile ends up in range of the nearby sage in the process. He’s the most destructive enemy on the chapter and can instant kill people like Roy who will merely be left at low HP by other enemies. Of course, even when he’s dead I’m still not off the hook since basically nothing and no one other than Lilina and Fa can survive a Purge and then a Heavenly Arrow.

I need a way to kill that sage on turn 2 or 3 because I simply cannot advance most of my troops until he’s dead. Shin is the only option there but can’t one-round him. He’ll need Lalum’s help, but Lalum will be killed in one shot by that bolting even if under a Barrier spell, so I need to get clever.

Getting up the stairs efficiently is necessary but impossible without some rescuing dropping. This formation will let me cover that. In particular I want high Res units like Fa dropped near the front and I also need Clarine (protected by Barrier so she doesn’t die in one shot) ready to restore people. And, critically, Lalum must be just outside bolting range but ready to run 7 squares in and dance for Shin so he can kill the pest.

I expect my staff users to pass their gear around a lot, but for now every single staff-capable unit has a Heal, Clarine and Ellen have a restore, Ellen has a Warp (though she can’t use it yet), Ellen also has Physic since she has the best Mag, and she has the Barrier since it must be used on Clarine immediately. Clarine has Mend too because her Mag is so horrible.

Shin has his normal array of bows and an Orion’s Bolt but doesn’t have a sword because I don’t expect him to gain that much XP and he can’t really give up one of those bows.

Ray has a Guiding Ring and is about 40 XP from promoting at last.

Other than that, gear is mostly standard.

The Characters:

Windam is a bishop who went rogue and betrayed the church to help the rebels. He either was very high ranking or was given an impossible task because he was apparently supposed to singlehandedly “Tame the Elimine Church."

His motive for joining the rebels is unclear, but he seems to be completely insane.

He’s very good at dodging on his throne and his reasonably tough defenses too, which makes him hard to kill. However, he’s not a huge threat in battle due to his fairly slow speed and the general weakness of light magic.

But his Berserk staff will have massive range and pretty much 100% accuracy against anyone.

Playing Through:

Clarine really is pitiful. A level 18 staff user should not be being instant killed by every long-ranged tome user on the chapter. And having single digit Mag at that level despite a decent RN blessing is ludicrous.

I need Zeiss in the front and Hugh just behind to make this work, but that actually mean he needed to start further back. Only then could Lalum safely dance for him.

He stops short for her since she must be allowed to move the maximum distance if she’s going to help Shin next turn.

Hugh is dropped and the path up is secured.

The newly protected Clarine and Shin work together to haul Fa up the stairs. Any unit north of Lalum can be boltinged, but they can all take it. What they can’t take is to be hit by a heavenly arrow afterward. If one of those happens here, I pretty much just lose. That’s… basically the same situation as if I brought my best units. No restore user available can survive a hit from anything and then a heavenly arrow.

Everyone else just walks up the right stairs. That mercenary won’t move, so they won’t be blocked.

Ok, crazy guy.

As expected.

Alright, good, Hugh is easy to heal. I took a risk on the first turn here. If the knight AND the mercenary both hit Zeiss, then the Bolting sage could have finished him. The probability of all 3 of those things happening was low though.

Handy. Ellen could restore her, but still. I find it absurd that even with Barrier on her and from across the map, my level 18 Clarine will very probably be hit by Silence from some random non-boss enemy.

So here’s the situation.

Shin fires but misses once. That’s alright, he only needs to hit 3 out of 4 attacks with Lalum’s help and the odds are definitely in his favor. If he fails again, I probably lose though. I just can’t fight enemies with his Bolting and Heavenly Arrows both still aimed at me.

A pretty bad level, but Shin killed him and that’s what counts right now.

Now the reason Hugh needed to be in the spot right behind Zeiss was so he could do this.

Oh, sweet.

Fa launches an adorable critical hit on the mage Hugh cleared a path to.

Not bad.

Now that it’s safe, Clarine runs in to restore Zeiss.

I’m hoping to give this kill to Fa, so I don’t switch to a steel lance. Nice level though. In the long term, his Def gain is pretty much all that matters.

Lilina fells the mercenary and now my group is safe, everyone else just moves in.

Gotta love a cross-map 98% true hit chance on a high level staff user with boosted Res. Even Lilina can’t dodge this.

Darn, that’s unexpected and problematic. That mercenary I wanted to feed to Fa instead ran back and then this Bishop from the top left came down and healed him from across the map. That means he’s now in range to move forward and begin purging my units next turn.

Darn, Lilina is silenced.

So that physic thing means a slight change of plans. Originally I’d wanted to aggro both bishops at once on different targets and from there keep them alternating heals and purges till they ran out of ammo. Now I’ve got one coming in before I’m ready, so I need to adapt.

Besides doing that, curing statuses, and killing these enemies, I also need to get people into both remaining Bolting ranges and perhaps also the top right Purge.

That tile is the left Bolting zone edge.

Fa is doing slightly above average in general.

With Zeiss out of the way, Restore 1 is executed.

Then Ray clears a path.

So the other restore is done.

Another cruddy level, but my Clarine remains pretty above average overall. How crazy is that?

Lalum gets a timely Res bonus, but it’s not enough. She can still be instant killed by any long-ranged tome on this map.

Hugh finishes the last one. Well I didn’t get in top right purge range, but I did get in both Bolting ranges and take out the enemies and get people healed up enough that no one is going to die.

The last Berserk is fired.

Shin shows off his sweet moves.

Fa don’t care!

Yeah we’re really getting bombarded here.

And that’s the last silence.

Agh, there’s one of the heavenly arrows. Luckily it’s only hitting Zeiss.

Nearly kills him though. There’s just no way to defend against these. They’re aimed at a lot of critically important columns that you can’t stay out of and you can’t block the damage with Def or Res.

And another.

The last Restore is finished.

Shin kills a merc and moves where the javelin cavalry can attack him.

Lilina gets into Purge lure range.

And the bombardment resumes.

Ah ha! See? An enemy was hit by an arrow here.

Well, that’s a bad level.

There’s really not much to say about this map from now on. I’m just fighting annoying but easy battles while crossing my fingers and hoping I’m not unlucky with someone getting hit by Purge and then an arrow.

The left side group can’t take the heat actually so they had to pull back and heal and let the paladin come to them.

If at any point both bishops hit Roy, Lalum, Clarine, Shin, Zeiss, or actually anyone but Lilina and Fa who I have in my whole party, that person is dead. But keeping one of them healing while the other attacks is working.

The paladin took the bait, so he dies.

Fa moves out of the Bolting zone to snag this kill.

Ray takes out an archer.

Frantic mass heals are executed.

Every turn is pretty much me scrambling to barely keep pace with injuries while I have 4 healers.

And there’s no way to save Lalum this turn except to boost her Res.

Hugh gets the paladin.

Douglas is really lousy here. I mean, besides the fact that nearly every magic enemy can kill him from full and he can be slain by 2 ranged magics of any kind, he’s just not even good at fighting level 12 unpromoted people while armed with a silver weapon. Still, I REALLY need a guy who can stand in the front and make sure Roy and Lilina don’t get hit.

Alright, I’m going in. The bolting guy is down to a manageable one shot remaining, though the purge guy is still at large.

I’m always just one heavenly arrow in the wrong place away from death.

Ray gets a lousy final level.

Hugh pulls down another good one though. Soon he’ll be doubling things.

After a dance, Ray promotes.

Very high offense bonuses, not so good for other stuff. Ray is just not Canas. But Hugh might be…

Shin gets a bad level, but at least he can finally promote on my next turn.

Pretty balanced bonuses. Shin is finally going to come into his own now that he can use swords and his speed can finally get past that 20 cap.

The right side train has finally left the station.

Clarine’s terribleness never ceases to amaze.

Well the purge bishop is in range at last, so battle was joined. There’s nothing to say in this chapter. Every turn is just me slowly walking and healing and maybe fighting 1 guy, so I’m skipping nearly everything.

Fa continues to be good but not great. She gains a ton of stat boosts, but they really just don’t do much for her.

The left side still has a guy with Purge on the loose, so Zeiss baits him.

And on the next turn, he and Shin kill a cavalier. We’re closing in on the last few enemies.

The first reinforcement Bishop spawned. Making sure these guys appear is one of the main reasons for trying to aggro the purge Bishops quickly. Otherwise they don’t spawn.

They’re unannounced, powerful, and located in kind of a weird spot. Isn’t that the pinnacle of the tower? How could anyone else be up there? And how could we not see them? Anyway, they’re armed with Silence staves, which is annoying, but not really THAT bad. If they were armed with Purge or something it would just be a game-over every time one spawned until you learned all the turns.

I’m always looking for ways to give Roy kills- in this case the right bishop. And he’s always getting lousy levels.

Even as a druid, Ray is taking damage he can’t just ignore from these pesky mages. At least he doubles them now.

And the new right side silencer popped up and zapped Ray.

Another kill for Fa. I’m reaching the last few fights now and the difficult part of the chapter is over since the purge bishops are dead.

I don’t know if that sniper moves, but Shin is healed and ready to fight.

People stay out of the longbow range on the right side until I know if the sniper moves. Many enemies on this chapter don’t, but you don’t want to take chances.

Silenced again.

The last Boltings are fired off (remember, I left the mages with 1 shot each before to save a turn).

Bishop down. The snipers don’t move.

There goes another one. Lilina is really a crazy master of offense.

She’s cleared the last one for now.

Well the def is nice. I would really like for Lalum to be able to survive a hit or two.

Now that I know the snipers don’t move, I can more safely do stuff like this.

Hugh was able to run in and finish it off, keeping Ray safe. That’s a great level. Hugh has definitely got me impressed.

On the left I take things slow.

Hugh is really hitting his stride now and can shred lots of units. It doesn’t take a whole lot of levels to make him very strong- and he’s nearly ready to promote. Then he’ll really show Lugh and Lilina how it’s done.

The mages don’t seem to move either. Probably the reason so many enemies don’t is so that they don’t wander into Heavenly Arrows range early.

Wow! A point of def! She’s still one-round killed by absolutely every physical attacker! Still, she’s put Clarine to shame this chapter. Anyway, all of my healers are now level 20. I plan to just retire every single one of them and try to grind Lilina or someone up to a C in staves ASAP.

Zeiss leaves the main group; he’s got a job to do.

And another juicy kill for Fa.

A pretty poor level.

Tons and tons of heals are being executed.

And I give most of the kills to Hugh. He’s so close to hitting level 20…

Meanwhile, Shin rushes for the right side, taking an iron sword that Douglas grabbed from Roy along the way.

Everyone else just crowds in close to the boss.

Lilina is doing 2 heals per turn.

Hugh can do scratch damage to Windam and that’s all I need to get him some XP, so I barrier him up and send him in.

Nice! Man that’s some good Def. Your father would be proud! Unfortunately, I didn’t bring a second Guiding Ring to this chapter.

Sword in hand, Shin lurks in the top right.

The new arrival on the left pops up and tries to silence Lilina.

Zeiss engages him and gets a good level for the short term.

These arrows create lots of new wounds to heal.

Well that’s pretty bad.

Left Bishop down.

Right Bishop down.

Nice!

Double nice! Lilina might actually cap speed! That’s crazy!

Fa is a darned good boss killer with that massive accuracy of hers.

I guess her chicken form IS pretty funny!

She’s basically normal. A bit fast.

And turn 21 win, the best turn for it.

Cool. Why didn’t Windam use it?

Yay! A real character is going to get a chance to talk.

You know, we never really attacked Etruria. We just kind of ended up in the capital and fought Narshen there.

Except for that time in the western isles I guess.

… moron.

Ooh!

I’m actually a bit unsure why she’s giving it to him now rather than either earlier or later. I mean, she did steal it to give it to Bern’s enemies, but Roy can’t actually do anything with it now.

This is just totally untrue. Every part of it. The name is the Shrine of Seals, not the cave. It’s located in the north of Bern, not the south. And it’s not really a temple either.

She angsts for a bit about how she’ll be reviled as a traitor.

But it’s pretty well done, like most of Guinevere’s lines. And she’s probably right. Even if Bern is rebuilt under her watch, a lot of people are going to always go around hating her for making them lose the war to begin with.

I like that they have this conversation at least.

Useless! There are no monks and there’s no Athos in this game, so only Saul and Ellen and Yodel can wield this. And they’re all wretchedly bad characters. Saul and Ellen should never even be promoted.

Anyway, I actually managed to exceed the crazy XP requirement by juuuuuust a few points, but only by bringing the lowest level people available and also 5 healers and a dancer who all spent pretty much every turn generating free XP that way.

It was as good a victory as one can hope for, but totally unsatisfying because it was inelegant and depended on not getting hit by the stupid trap at the wrong time.

Total Restarts: 15 (I lost quite a few times to Heavenly arrows and the like)
Turn Surplus: +18 (4 More Turns!)
Things I Regret Missing: A couple of uses of Marcus’s silver lance on Rude, a Chapter 5 nomad Marcus had to kill, two Chapter 12 fighters I couldn’t kill since I needed supports built elsewhere, a pirate and a wyvern rider on 14x who I didn’t have time to go after.
Legendary Weapon Scoreboard: Durandal slew Ohtz using Oujay on chapter 14x, turn 2 and the top left mamkute using Oujay on chapter 16, turn 9. Forblaze slew the top right mamkute using Lugh on chapter 16, turn 6.

Next up: Missingno!

Melth fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 12, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Jesus gently caress that map looks awful to play.

Really really pretty though.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

Wait, I could have sworn that Hugh did the same thing as Fiora where you had to pay him to get him to join. Is that a different character, or am I just remembering wrong altogether?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hugh costs 10k, 8k, 6k, and I believe 5k with his stats getting worse every time you tell him no.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

Artix posted:

Hugh costs 10k, 8k, 6k, and I believe 5k with his stats getting worse every time you tell him no.

See, that's what I thought. Melth didn't mention it so I couldn't remember if that was a thing or not.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Unlike Farina, Hugh is actually worth paying for.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In addition, the stats Melth showed us are innacurate--he doesn't actually get hard mode bonuses because of how the script for recruiting him works, but will have bonuses while an unrecruited enemy.

Francis posted:

Unlike Farina, Hugh is actually worth paying for.

I will fight you

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

cheetah7071 posted:

In addition, the stats Melth showed us are innacurate--he doesn't actually get hard mode bonuses because of how the script for recruiting him works, but will have bonuses while an unrecruited enemy.

Actually those stats are entirely accurate. Check out how they compare with his first level up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Melth posted:

Actually those stats are entirely accurate. Check out how they compare with his first level up.

Have I been living a lie

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
So I did a cursory check through the LPArchive and found no plays of Warcraft 3 there. Did I just miss them somehow or has no one actually done one on Something Awful before?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

There is in fact one going on right now: Orcs can see clearly now, the blood has gone

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Melth posted:

So I did a cursory check through the LPArchive and found no plays of Warcraft 3 there. Did I just miss them somehow or has no one actually done one on Something Awful before?

There is a current one, and it's got pretty good production values, but the guys update speed dropped to a crawl and I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up dropping into archives unfinished.
So no, no ones finished one to my knowledge. But if you feel like you can show people some neat things about a cool game, go for it. It's not like concurrent lps of a game haven't been done before anyway.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
That Lilina is insanely blessed, like holy poo poo it's rare a unit hits Mag and Speed every level like that.

Also I think you are selling Percival short, he's fairly RNG proof so he's a dependable constant if Alance don't turn out, and even then he's good if you want/need horse units. I mean, those bases are kind of ridiculous and great if you get a playthrough that got ruined by the RNG.

Obviously Zeiss is the most insanely OP character in hard mode though, 19 strength at level 7 is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I'm a little surprised you didn't solve the status staffers/Purge Bishops the proactive way, especially with how blessed your Lilina is. What do I mean by the proactive way?

Melth posted:

And a bolting. That could come in handy.
FE6 has taught me that long range bullshit should be met and countered with long range bullshit, and Lilina is great bringing in long range death.:unsmigghh:

I realize that using Bolting is probably expensive as hell (and I usually Hammerene the Bolting tome when it's at one use afterward which is even more money), but nuking two long-range assholes before they can do anything makes Ch 16x so, so much easier. It's not always a perfect strategy since a successful long range snipe depends on Lugh or Lilina (or Hugh or Clarine) turning out well, but man is it fun to turn the tables on long range poo poo.

Still, there are a couple more chapters where long range death really helps, and Lilina is only going to get stronger in the meantime.:v:

• Locked thread