Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yesss, you're actually doing it. Excellent!

I think I used the same translation back when I played the game. It's quite... literal. I will never understand the insistence on "social knight" or referring to lances as spears everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The patch Melth is using is a translation patch, and it works fine for that, but it's not a localization, which all the official English releases have been. Back when I played FE4, there were still a bunch of instances of "Siglud" in the random village dialogue. I wonder if that game ever got a localization patch.

Also, Roy would actually be a fairly decent character if not for his awful promotion time. Yeah, his growths are strictly worse than Eliwood's, but FE6's crew on the whole is just weaker than that of FE7. Roy's 80/25/30 defensive growths look sad on paper, but they're strictly better than most characters, and the ones who do have better defense growths have bad resistance and vice versa.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hah, I just realized something. Nino's orphans are named Lou and Ray. The kind-hearted founder of the orphanage was named Lucius and his socially inept companion was named Raymond/Raven. That has to be intentional.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Onmi posted:

It's not, they're named afer a welsh/irish figure named Lugh/Lleu

Oh, huh. I'm just gonna assume Ray is an accurate transliteration of Lleu.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maribelle in Awakening did the whole 'haughty noble' thing way better than Clarine, because she actually has some depth once you go into her supports.

It also helped a lot that her main motivation (loving Lissa and Chrom like family) was an equally central part of her character, instead of just being a haughty noble.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like your dissection on the story, but I agree that the Clarine rant was kind of unnecessarily angry. Keep on truckin' as you are, but maybe ease off a bit the next time you really hate a character.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Insurrectionist posted:

Other than supports I dunno if Clarine ever says a thing for the rest of the game so even if she deserved it (I think she's fun, far better than Roy or most of the dull non-characters in this game) there would be no material really.

One of the major flaws of FE6 is since every character who joins you can die permanently (bar Roy and Merlinus), they disappear from the plot once recruited. Outside of support conversations, the only time a character will ever speak after joining your crew is if they unlock a sidequest or can recruit someone else. It is entirely possible to play through the game with an army consisting only of Roy supported by Merlinus and Guinevere, and it's written to accommodate that.

FE7 remedied the problem somewhat by having a few characters get a non-specific injury that still let them hang around in plot scenes, like Marcus and Oswin, and it even had at least one scene that changed if a character died beforehand. It's not until FE9 added base conversations that the series really started letting characters be relevant after they were recruited, though, and that game also had a lot of cutscenes that changed if a character died during the Greil Mercenaries arc.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 29, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Black Fang really does have a Church of Nergal, though. Kenneth says as much in the Pale Flower of Darkness path Melth didn't take.

“Are you referring to my relationship with the “gods”? Are you still held in thrall of such a concept? You’ve met Lord Nergal, haven’t you? Then there is something you must know. Gods are lies created by the weakness in all mankind. …If a god truly exists, then it is my lord Nergal. Only him.”

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lycia specializes in deploying level 10 unpromoted units with lovely stats in the third to last chapter. The only unit type that's unique to Lycia is Lord. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but they ain't unique to Lycia. Ilia is also specifically cavalier/paladin country, and knights and generals are loving everywhere.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Serra can't be Wendy's mom because she's Cath's mom. Theme songs are way more hereditary than hair color. :colbert:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Melth posted:

So she's also related to Dorothy and Saul then?

Nah, that's just a case of Cath's theme playing for someone else for no real reason. It's like how Nino's theme plays for one scene with Matthew in it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is it just me, or does Devias look... familiar?

I guess getting benched after getting four poo poo levels didn't sit too well with him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Naw, I'm pretty sure that's just from getting fat. Fatness has always been correlated with HP.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Eliwood was, what, 16 or 17 when he went on is crazy adventure. Roy is only 15. I'm sure Eliwood would have told him once he came of age, but Roy is just too young to go on a globe-spanning military adventure!

Also, am I the only one who tends to prefer the other cavaliers? For some reason, the red/green cavalier very rarely seems to pan out for me, but there'll always be room Lowen, Treck, Percival, Makalov, Astrid, or someone reclassed to cavalier.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Melth posted:

I mean, Bartre is bad but Echidna isn't good. Her solid bases mean she's good enough to steal your XP on her chapter and kill Tate's minions who you're trying to keep alive, but her growths are barely better than Marcus's. Like 5% better in most stats. Neither should see use, especially in a max ranking run. So that's a non-factor really.

Echidna may not be good in terms of stats or growths or utility or rankings, but she's a female infantry units whose weapon of choice is axes. She's objectively a top tier character, brocipher. :colbert:

But yeah, if you're not gonna use Echidna, just follow the math. Gonzales will still be top tier.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Artix posted:

She's a user of the objectively worst weapon type in the game and doesn't even have the Con to use them properly, and that's supposed to be a selling point for her? :psyduck:

Yes.

Axe ladies are cool, and she's the only one in the series that's a foot soldier. Awakening let your healers promote into an awesome joke class, but that's pretty much it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, yes, if you were designing an autistic utility-based tier list, she wouldn't top it. If that's a measure of a good character to you, that's cool, it's a free country. Doesn't mean Echidna isn't objectively good and cool.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm also not really sure I get the point of an S-rank tier list. If you're S-ranking the game, you're gonna be leveling up any character who isn't total garbage anyway, so I imagine you'd just stick with whomever got the best levels.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Uh, that was meant to read as mocking someone backing their humorless argument with "according to the sperglords knowledgeable gentlemen over at Serenes," but I see now that it does not come off that way.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 7, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Didn't Caeda in FE1 also recruit a couple of outlaw-type enemy units, without any hint at her ability to do so? I think that's the thought behind Lilina recruiting Gonzales.

Incidentally, Treck and Gonzales' support is fantastic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also Guineviere exists as a unit in the game code, and she's a sage who uses light magic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah. Roy has a cap of 25 for every stat except Luck. I'm not really sure what they were going for with him. 25 is alright but he literally can't excel at anything and so he can never be more than decent at anything even when he's way above average. In practice, he turns out about as well as your Heroes/Swordmasters on average but you can't really use him for a lot of the game. If he were just a regular unit, I don't see any reason to use him over Dieck and Oujay only loses out on join time since they're about the same except Oujay gets axes on promotion. As for the Myrmidons, Rutger blows him out of the water until the later game and Fir is probably better with hard mode bonuses until the Swordmaster strength cap slows her down. Though they do get the crit bonus and it's possible to get 100% crit rate on the Swordmasters, so actually Roy still deals less damage even with his superior strength cap while also being a lot slower. He's not the worst unit ever or anything, but he is pretty bad and fills a redundant niche that he can never even be that good at.

Should have at least given him a horse or something.

The SoS gives +5 def/res, right? For 20 uses, Roy has a theoretical defensive cap set of 60/30/30, as well as an 18 mt two range weapon that has 54 mt against dragons.

It's not enough, but he does have something to make him stand out for a small window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The first one is directly from FE7, and the next three are edits of FE7 images.

This one is just Eliwood with Durandal and a beard.

• Locked thread