Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm going to be contrary and say that you can and should continue to mock any story and plot bits that don't make sense. It's quite enjoyable, and it's not like the game isn't earning it.

It wouldn't be so bad if things were always this way, but Genealogy and Thracia didn't have issues telling their stories sensibly, and they were trying to tell much larger and deeper stories, so...yeah, continue mocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I don't really see the problem with verbosity here. It's an exhibition of something he wants to show off, not a college essay. If Melth wants to be overly critical of the story and spend five hundred words complaining about a character, let him.

The bigger question is where were all of these complaints about his style for the previous game? What makes these first few chapters of FE6 different from the entirety of FE7? Paragraphs were spent gushing about Nino and Jaffar and complaining about Ephidel and Vaida, and none of them contributed anything worthwhile to gameplay, but they were read with little complaint.

I'm not saying that "oh, you didn't mention it before, your argument is invalid", but I'm just wondering why it's all surfacing now?

As for my preferences, if Melth wants to spend more time complaining about Clarine and Narshen than talking about the actual map, then he's welcome to. Especially because it seems as though that Clarine and Narshen were the most notably part of the map to him. It's not exactly like FE6 has a bunch of interesting things to talk about this early anyway.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Melth posted:

I did this, but I'd be interested in learning more about what "tables" are. Someone mentioned them in the previous thread I think.

Message boards are just complex tables (in the graphic design sense) of information. The frames will stretch to accommodate elements. If you have a post with an image that's 1500 pixels wide, then your post's frame will stretch to fit. However, this is the same frame that is also automatically linebreaking paragraphs for you. The result is that a large image such as in your most recent update or the ranking update will make the text stretch beyond the limits of some resolutions and zoom levels, making the user scroll left and right. This is annoying and unnecessary.

Now, Something Awful's a bit better about this than some older forum software. First, each post is its own table as opposed to the entire page, so one annoying image doesn't ruin all the other posts on the page. Secondly, and this is what Endorph suggested, you can put large images in a [ timg ] [ /timg ] tag, which will automatically thumbnail it unless clicked upon, which will thus avoid stretching the text when the image doesn't need to be looked at. Please avail yourself of this.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Melth posted:

Thanks. Speaking of tables, though in a different sense, is there a good way to just put an excel spreadsheet into a post directly? That would be a lot more elegant than screencapping the giant thing and putting it here as an image.

Not really anything better than timg tags on the spreadsheet itself. There's the code tags, but then you're not only limited to manual data entry but there's also no way to shrink it, making a wide spreadsheet still a problem. Just stick with the screencaps, as the timg tag has a built in functionality to expand to both full size and window size out of the thumbnail, which is all the flexibility you'll need.

• Locked thread