Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Blastinus posted:

Let's not be diplomatic here. I went into that LP basically making up stuff as I went. But hey, I had fun with it.

As for whether it would work with your style of LPing...I think it could. But any kind of speed strategy would just boil down to "Throw Myrrh at it" past a certain point.

Heck, why even bother with Myrrh when we've got Seth? He's the real game breaker. Just send Seth out everywhere, with maybe some occasional help from Duessel, Ephraim, and some flyers, and there you go.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Melth posted:

I liked Lyon even more, but yeah. It's remarkable what a failure of an evil god Grima was compared to Fomortiis.

Well hey...at least Grima was funny. With lines like "Well, time to get you all off my back, so to speak".

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So Melth, out of curiosity, since you've inspired me to play this again myself, who would you have grinded at the Arena if you hadn't decided to limit yourself?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Lotish posted:

I agree with the assessment that resetting level when class changing was a bad idea, and it's maybe my biggest concern for If. If you want to use the reclassing, you have to reset your level, and its relatively expensive to do so if you haven't been grinding. I preferred the New Mystery swap or Sacred Stones branching promotion method much more.

It seems silly to say "well, just don't class swap" when it's a mechanic that's almost as central to the game as promotion. It's just handled badly, and was handled better in earlier games.

Hmm...here's an idea. What if future games kept the reclassing mechanic, but did something like FE2, where there were base stats for each class, except instead of being bumped UP to those stats, the character would actually be bumped DOWN to those stats? That way, we can still collect skills, but there would be a huge hit to stats to deal with?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah...I'm kind of sketchy about Lilina wielding axes myself, just because she really doesn't look like someone who'd rely on strength like that. So unless you edited her sprite so that she has a lot more muscles and stuff (cuz women CAN get pretty muscular), I can't imagine that really happening.

If anything, if you wanted to round out the weapon triangle, I'd just invent a new character entirely. Like, maybe Lilina has a brother, or perhaps Marquess Thria has a son who ends up being important, or something like that.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

It's totally not. Second best FE in my opinion. The story and characters are unusually good for this series, the villains are pretty awesome, the level design is generally well thought out even if the difficulty is too low, there's a ton of fun post-game content, and if you did no grinding on hard mode you could at least have enough of a challenge that you had to think about what you were doing - unlike 9, for example. Plus the addition of the Tower of Valni was a good way to let inexperienced players modulate the difficulty for themselves and experiment with different characters.

You're talking about the U.S. "Hard Mode" though, right? If so, I hear that there's a Maniac Mode patch with an english translation and everything. You ever tried that at any point?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

http://lpix.org/2045265/11%20119%20in%20Danger.png

I see trouble coming, so I’ve decided to start picking these idiots up.

Btb, there's an incorrectly labeled link here in Chapter 12, on Page 14. Just thought I'd let you know :) !

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

You're giving the players an 8 move magic user with starting access to Aircal, Nosferatu, Luna (if it is the FE7 Luna) and most staves. If she gets B staves she's set.

God good, that is a monster in the making.

Edit: What the hell are you throwing at the player that you need to give them that kind of power to fight?

Eh, it really doesn't seem like THAT big of a deal to me. Seems more like she's kind of a "Jack-of-all-trades, Master of none" type deal in Omni's hack. She's good at all kinds of magic, but on the other hand, her bases and (presumably) growths are comparatively underwhelming compared to units you'd raise yourself. Plus, even FE7 had monsters like her in the form of HM Raven, HM Harken, Pent, and arguably Canas (Melth really likes him, but I think he gets off to kind of a slowish start compared to some of the other uber units).

So basically, she's a crutch character. That awesome unit who comes in really late in the game, just in case you royally mucked up on your own party.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So Melth, out of curiosity, you're not planning on doing an FE4 Maxed Rank Run soon, are you? Because I was thinking I might if you aren't.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

That would be really interesting to see, given all the potential pairings and all the janky busted mechanics to exploit in 4, but I'm pretty sure Melth's said he's never played it.

Yeah. He's never S-Ranked FE6 though either, and that's not stopping him :cheeky: ! But yeah, if he doesn't, I definitely plan on doing it, as I've been working on what I consider to be the most optimally, efficiently played FE4 run for a while now, even after having max ranked it twice already.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Dire Wombat posted:

It usually involves grinding all your staff users to 30 by spamming Rescue/Warp and letting enemy bosses live so you can farm reinforcements. The arena and money management are pivotal, so you have to do a lot of careful budgeting. It's kinda dry, but Melth has been making spreadsheets for these runs already. FE5 isn't much better; it has a ridiculously tight tactics requirement that mandates warpskipping whenever possible. As janky as FE7's ranks are, they're probably the most well thought-out in the franchise. Maybe Fionordequester could do FE12 Lunatic LTC, which is supposed to be cool.

Nah...I don't do LTC's. No sense in pushing myself if I don't have a clear benchmark of what exactly I'm shooting for (even if it's something as soft as FE9 and 10 BEXP system). Plus that's already been done anyways. But, I could do a FE12 Lunatic+ RTA! Now THAT might be worth looking in to! Because real time means a lot more to me than "turns" whenever we're talking about what's actually efficient.

Now, back to FE4...there's some truth to what Dire Wombat says, however, there's a bit more to it than that I think. Plus, if I did such a playthrough, I wouldn't JUST be filling the requirements. I would also be figuring out the absolute fastest way to do it, without any of the tedium of RNG Abusing units through the Arena. Again, kind of like a Max Ranking RTA, you know?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 3, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

CremePudding posted:

Where can I see the result of this poll? I am really curious.

Sure! I took Beginning Japanese, and know my Katakana, so I'll translate, right now!

quote:

Character Results:

1st: Roy (yes, that's right, Roy actually ended up first!)

2nd: Rutger

3rd: Lilina

4th: Ray

5th: Fir

6th: Thany/Shanna

7th: Lugh

8th: Wolt (had to look online for this one)

9th: Deke

10th: Sophia

11th: Hugh

12th: Tate

13th: Fa

14th: Clarine

15th: Zeiss (turns out this guy's literal name is Tsuaisu. THAT definitely threw me for a loop :stare: )

16th: Lance

17th: Allen

18th: Narshen (hey, the first villain to show up on the poll!)

19th: Sue

20th: Chad

21th: Karel

22th: Gale (this one tripped me up. I forgot how similar Ge and Gi were in Katakana, so I kept reading the name as "Giru" or "Guile"!)

23th: Percival

24th: Cecilia

25th: Oujay (turns out the old translation was pretty accurate! Though it probably should be more like "Ojay", or "O.J." if we don't mind having
his name sound like a nickname)

26th: Eliwood (Presumably the Japanese have fond memories of him in FE7 since the polls came out in 2014. Because the guy sure doesn't show up
much in FE6)

27th: Miledy/Milady (If you want my opinion on this, the name should be either "Miredy" or "Melody", even though "Milady" is actually closer to
the original sound than "Melody is).

28th: Wendy

29th: Zephiel (the second villain! Evidently the Japanese don't like their villains as much as we do :P!)

30th: Treck

31th: Geese

32th: Saul

33th: Lalam

34th: Echidna

35th: Klein

36th: Ellen/Elen

37th: Brenya

38th: Marcus

39th: Noah

40th: Shin

41th: Cath

42th: Dorothy

43th: Bartre (though it turns out, his actual name is Bator, or Bartr, or Batoru, or something like that. Japanese is pretty ambiguous
sometimes).

44th: Elphin

45th: Hector (ah, the other FE7 protragonist! And actually, this is pretty impressive considering the guy shows up for like, one scene, only to
die like two seconds later)

46th: Gonzales (huh...turns out even the real life people hate his face :( ...)

47th: Anna (Boy, for someone who's a meme character, she sure is low on the list...)

48th: Yuno

49th: Merdock

50th: Merlinus

51th: Yahn (3rd villain...either Japan really doesn't like their villains, or the villains in this game just plain stink :P)

52th: Igrene

53th: Bors

54th: Kel (And now we're in random boss territory. He's that infamous Swordmaster on Chapter 19 of Sacae)

55th: Oro (Evil Bishop on Chapter 12)

56th: Ain/Aine (Mamkute boss)

57th: Douglas (seems the Japanese share Melth's opinion on him :mmmhmm: !)

58th: Lot

59th: Niime (and also Niime)

60th: Yodel

61th: Garret

62th: Barth

63th: Ward/Wade (personally, I think "Ward" sounds much closer to the intended sound, even if not technically as accurate)

64th: Zealot/Jerrot (And actually...Jerrot DOES sound really close to his name, although, so does Zealot. Personally, I like Zealot better,
even if it makes less sense as a name)

65th: Rose (Here comes the weird twins. Yes, you're reading this right. The Japanese...actually put him...ABOVE GUINEVERE!! If that's not the
ultimate insult, I don't know what is!!)

66th: Guinevere (ok, interesting thing about this one. There's a character here, ヴ (Vu), that actually is not a character you'd ever see
in older Japanese words. In fact, we never even had to memorize it in our Japanese class! But apparently, it is becoming increasingly common
because of Western influences. Just thought that was an interesting lesson on the malleability of languages :) !)

67th: Windam (the old bearded boss that you fight when getting Aureola in 16x)

68th: Maggie (Yeah, the other weird twin...just how he ended up three spots lower than Rose is beyond me)

69th: Leygance

70th: Scott (Dude who tricks Fir on Chapter 9)

71th: Henning (the Uber Hero that you fight when getting Durandal in 8x)

72th: Erik (Old, MOOOLDY tradition!!)

73th: Rude (Fat looking guy on Chapter 2)

74th: Reis (Tries to capture Fa in Chapter 15)

75th: Astohl (....owch...)

76th: Sigune/Sigurney (“…Well, well… So I’m the one…to die… But maybe…I had already died…a long time…ago…”. Chapter 19 boss in Ilia. My
favorite death quote in all of FE6. Kind of sad she ranked so low :( ...)

77th: Nonke (I...don't know who this is. From what I can tell, this either refers to some nameless villager/soldier/whatever sprite, or it
refers to Monke, the Chapter 18 boss in Sacae)

78th: Damas (Chapter 1 boss)

79th: Slater (Chapter 3 boss)

80th: Ohtz (the old bearded boss that you fight to get Forblaze in Chapter 14x. Actually, his place on this list isn't bad at all! 21 of the bosses of this game didn't make it on the list period!)

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 4, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

all I have to comment on is Gale and Brunya not being counted as villains for whatever reason. Other than that, Popular's gonna Pop.

Honestly, I'd...chalk that up more to unintentional sexism on my part more than anything :blush: ...anyways though, I fixed that. Merdock is now counted as a good guy too.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

Gale I can understand not really being seen as a villain. Brenya is horrible though. I hate her and her whole archetype, and she's one of the worst examples of it. Selena is worse yet though.

Thing is though, just because someone isn't that great of a person, and just because they're on the other side, that doesn't necessarily make them a villain. That just makes them an antagonist. Same thing goes for people who are evil, and just HAPPEN to be on the hero's side (FE7 Karel). They may be the protagonists, but they're still villains (like it is with Walter White in Breaking Bad).

Besides, Brenya's too sympathetic to be an outright villain. She actually tells her men that they can leave whenever they want to, with no costs! It's not her fault that nearly all of them were stubborn enough to want to stay...

Not to say that she's a great character mind you. I also find people of her archetype to be somewhat irritating. But I'm just saying.

EDIT: By the by, something I've been wondering about...it seems like every single one of your screenshots has a different name than the other, rather than being classified under one big group, like FE6 1, FE6 2, FE6 3, and so on and so forth. How in the world do you keep track of what goes in front of the other with a system like that :psyduck: ?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 4, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I see. Interesting...

Anyways, remember that line where Clarine says "Hmph, I will not be friendly with you..."? Well, turns out, that was just a flat mistranslation, as according to Gringe, the guy who did the new localization (he frequents Serenes Forest)...

Gringe posted:

The Japanese just had her saying it was not the time for niceties due to the fact that they're surrounded by enemies, IIRC, but the old patch seemed to imply something a little different.

So there we go. Seems like the old translation mistook that phrase for Clarine saying that she wouldn't exchange in niceties right now, and thought she was saying that she was not going to be nice. Pretty interesting huh? At the very least, it makes Clarine slightly less obnoxious right?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

That's a pretty huge improvement actually. That was a massively obnoxious and pointless thing of her to say. On the other hand, she still pretty much never opens her mouth without saying something stupid or rude at any other point either.

...As far as you know! Who's to say that the localization patch doesn't improve on her dialogue in other ways? That's what you get when you intentionally play the bad translation :cheeky:! (Not that your critiques aren't still hilarious btb).

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 6, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

For the most part, I REALLY enjoy your analysis on the story and everything else about FE6. But, surely you don't think the music is THAT bad, do you? For example, "Invisible Thread" sounds perfectly fine to me (those drums are awesome). And why is there no mention of the current map theme, "Within the Magnificent Nature"?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Aqyy-oknn8

Probably the 3rd-2nd best theme in the game, and it gets no mention? For shame :mad: !!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 10, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Btb, out of curiosity, did you record this entire run before making the LP, or are you recording episodes as you go through the LP?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

What's more, it doesn't feel well-matched with the game.

This I'm actually curious about. From what I remember, the soundtrack has a very "war-like" feel to it, with a lot of really heavy drums and other bass instruments (like in Zephiel's theme, the 2nd and 3rd regular Player Phase themes), occasionally a very "grungy" feel to it (Scars of the Scouring, Enemy Attacks theme), and then sometimes switches to a more "pleasant and easygoing" feel (the 1st and 4th Player Phase theme)...

Actually, you know what? If nothing else, the OST definitely IS kind of inconsistent. Sometimes it uses a lot of medieval sounding instruments, only to switch to more modern Japanese instruments (like the Regular Boss theme), and then sometimes just outright does guitar pieces (In the Name of Bern). Heck, even in the Player Map phases, it goes from pleasant with the 1st one, to more serious and actiony with the 2nd one, to really intense and intimidating with the 3rd one...aaand then goes through a really jarring tone shift as it changes right back to "pleasant and easygoing" in the 4th one (even on what could be the final boss!)...

Well, nevermind then! I see your point!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 12, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Here's what Insurrectionist is talking about...

Melth posted:

Now this is decidedly not an air map. The walls and lack of difficult terrain mean they have no mobility advantage, while the several strong ballistae and snipers leave them specially vulnerable. Nonetheless, some are needed to deal with the right flank properly and recruit Sigune.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Roy just got his promotion and there are how many missions left?

Three. Maybe four if we're being technical.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

You know...sometimes I like to think about how exactly I would rebalance Roy if I ever made a Rom Hack. And as I experimented, I came up with the idea of essentially making him an Est unit, except one that comes at the beginning of the game. So basically, he'd still be locked to swords, he'd still have the same terrible bases, and he might even still have the extremely late promotion (though he might promoted at Chapter 16/16x...or perhaps later if he proves too strong), but he'd also have these growths, and these capped stats to make up for it...

Growths:

HP: 101%

STR: 51%

SKL: 63%

SPD: 58%

LCK: 80%

DEF: 33%

RES: 48%

Caps:

HP MAX: 60 HP

STR MAX: 27 STR

SKL MAX: 27 SKL

SPD MAX: 30 SPD

LCK MAX: 30 LCK

DEF MAX: 26 DEF

RES MAX: 25 RES

Level 20 Average:

HP 37

STR: 14

SKL: 17

SPD: 18

LCK: 22

DEF: 11

RES: 9

Level 20/20 Averages:

HP: 60

STR: 25

SKL: 27

SPD: 30

LCK: 30

DEF: 19

RES: 23

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So Melth, on the topic of games you're playing, you mentioned going through FE4 for the first time, right? If so, how far have you played, and what's your opinion on it so far?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Crud, sorry about that man. Hope you get your answers, because it looks like that's happened to my still unfinished Dragon Warrior 1 LP!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

You know...looking at Karel's portrait, I actually feel a little bad for the guy. Look at those eyes...the bags underneath them...and how ragged his hair looks. Dude really does look like he's aged considerably by thinking on all of his crimes in the past. It's nice he's found peace, but it's still gotta stink to have to reflect on all that :( ...

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

But in most FE settings, dragons don't fly around in dragon form all the time and there's no mention of an ending winter. It's just how dragons are in FE. They need dragonstones. Or a power gauge thing in the case of the sub-humans in Tellius.

LAGUZ Melth! LAGUZ! Who cares if they were as bad as the humans were?!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

Even if BEXP was well-implemented though, I would not want it to replace rankings, just used alongside them. Rankings are really important imo and the post-7 FEs have been a lot more boring for me because they didn't include them.

Well, Fire Emblem 12 actually DOES have ranks. It ranks you on Speed (turns taken), Survivability (self-explanatory), and Tactics (recruit every character). It's a very little known fact about the game, so much so that even Serenes doesn't seem to have any documentation on them, but, there you go. That said though, I hear that the Speed rank is VERY lenient on FE12, and the other two ranks sound like something you'd do anyway, so...I dunno.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hey Melth, just so you know, I've almost finished remaking my S-Rank guide for Lyn Mode since the first failed in the Funds Rank. So keep that in mind before you do anything with it, ok?

• Locked thread