Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Has anyone used Netscout for sniffing SIP traffic for monitoring as well as troubleshooting and diagnosing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Nah, I always rely on tcpdump/netsh for capturing and wireshark for the analyzing.
I am also refusing to touch snooper because of the stupid loving icon:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Finished my CCNP Voice this week, now I've got to take the CIPTV2 exam to upgrade it to Collaboration.

At least I can honestly claim two certifications instead of one.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What was your feelings on the ccnp voice? Any advice to someone heading down that path?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
If you are configuring a voip network is there any reason other than budget for choosing analog phones and an ata instead of ipphones?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bigass Moth posted:

If you are configuring a voip network is there any reason other than budget for choosing analog phones and an ata instead of ipphones?

You have already wired RJ11?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MrMoo posted:

Protip: You can sometimes get a 10/half ethernet connection over cat3 cable and a properly terminated rj11->rj45 cable. We briefly debated doing it in some of our buildings when deploying cisco voice, and then realized that we would much rather do it right.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MrMoo posted:

I'd say the lost features and added cost of the ata terminals is probably more expensive than adding additional cables and pulls.

If you need to be really cost conscious, or cannot change the facility wiring, voip phones with the ability to pass ethernet through to a computer aren't very pricey, and work pretty well. different vlans for the phones and pc's in this setup is usually supported and highly recommended.

The only exception might be specialized, legacy conferencing equipment that needs an analog line.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

EoRaptor posted:

different vlans for the phones and pc's in this setup is usually supported and highly recommended.

At our old office, when we were moving out, I discovered that our street side doorbell/intercom was basically a simple VOIP phone. Unscrewing one Phillips screw revealed an Ethernet cable hooked directly into our router :nsa:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

What was your feelings on the ccnp voice? Any advice to someone heading down that path?

Change your path, CCNP Voice is being phased out and replaced with CCNP Collaboration. Last day to take any of the Voice tests is in October.

Granted, Collaboration is just Voice+Video, so most of the material is the same. Plus, there's some overlap if you've already taken some of the Voice tests, they can count toward the Collaboration cert.

I've got to take one more test to "upgrade" my Voice to Collaboration, but it's all stuff I work with on a regular basis, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Change your path, CCNP Voice is being phased out and replaced with CCNP Collaboration. Last day to take any of the Voice tests is in October.

Granted, Collaboration is just Voice+Video, so most of the material is the same. Plus, there's some overlap if you've already taken some of the Voice tests, they can count toward the Collaboration cert.

I've got to take one more test to "upgrade" my Voice to Collaboration, but it's all stuff I work with on a regular basis, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Oh I know I'm going for collaboration but wants to see if you had any weird tricks for studying beyond the normal tactics. Did you find a physical lab was necessary or can you get by virtualised?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Bigass Moth posted:

No, ATAs were a horrible kludge to help people move to VoIP without replacing their handsets.

Also, loving faxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Oh I know I'm going for collaboration but wants to see if you had any weird tricks for studying beyond the normal tactics. Did you find a physical lab was necessary or can you get by virtualised?

No lab, but I have access to 10+ CUCM environments through work, with a little bit of everything just about. Also have built big VCS environments from scratch.

Did watch some videos and skim the books, but I'm fortunate that I've been able to actually do a lot of the material covered on the exams through hands on work.

As far as actual hardware to study with, you can install CUCM and Unity and Call center on VM. That plus 2 ISR routers with PVDMs would be absolutely all you would need for a luxurious study set up.

• Locked thread