Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

uguu posted:

I made it over, currently on day 7 of quarantine!
Trying to figure out what I'm going to do here, any suggestions are welcome.
I've also never met any goons, I'd be up for that as well.
Would Seoraksan be more beautiful in early December or early February?
Also can I get an invite to Kakao?

What city are you in? In Seoul you could spend weeks doing the basics such as the big museums, palaces, markets, parks, nearby mountains/small hikes, etc... without having to think too hard. Being from a more rural part of the USA just riding the subway and going to huge shopping complexes people watching, eating new food, and shopping was fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

The thread seems pretty slow these days but I'm new here (Seoul) and as rad as all the OP-endorsed hiking and stuff has been, would be glad to hear what else is good from fellow goons or to grab a bite/beer.

Also, wondered if there's still an active Kakao group and all that?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lore Crimes posted:

The thread seems pretty slow these days but I'm new here (Seoul) and as rad as all the OP-endorsed hiking and stuff has been, would be glad to hear what else is good from fellow goons or to grab a bite/beer.

Also, wondered if there's still an active Kakao group and all that?

There is a kakao group but the active plague has kind of put a damper on the other stuff. Also were all mostly old and married, but mostly the plague.

Post your kakao name for an invite.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

Gildiss posted:

There is a kakao group but the active plague has kind of put a damper on the other stuff. Also were all mostly old and married, but mostly the plague.

Post your kakao name for an invite.

Yeah I get that re:plague, had my fun with the virus in January before coming here and definitely would rather have skipped. Maybe things will calm down in a bit.

Lore Crimes fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 28, 2022

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I know some of you married Koreans and some of you are actual Koreans while still more are studying Korean language. Maybe one of you can help me with something. I've met a Korean woman and intend to give her a gift. I am composing a note to go with it. I know that this is lame, but would any of you be willing to review a letter I've written (with the help of google translate) and help me make it less lame and terrible?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is the Kakao group still active? I'll be in Korea in May and June, would be nice to meet up with goons again. My ID is jeohist

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

DreadLlama posted:

I know some of you married Koreans and some of you are actual Koreans while still more are studying Korean language. Maybe one of you can help me with something. I've met a Korean woman and intend to give her a gift. I am composing a note to go with it. I know that this is lame, but would any of you be willing to review a letter I've written (with the help of google translate) and help me make it less lame and terrible?

post it here and someone will help

superm0nk fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 26, 2022

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Awesome thank you.

The Korean I have

quote:

사랑하는(이름)씨,

정말 만나서 반갑습니다. 당신은 정말 예외적입니다. 당신은혜와아름다움있읍니다. 당신은 비할 데 없습니다. 이 작은 선물을받다습니다. 늦은 시즌 메이플 시럽입니다. 내가 가장 좋아하는 것입니다. 나는 그것을 좋아하면 좋겠습니다.

The English I started from:

quote:

Dear (이름),

It is my very great pleasure and honour to make your acquaintance. You are truly exceptional; displaying unmatched beauty and grace. Your talents are without limit. I can imagine none who are your equal. Please accept this small gift, a token of my appreciation for your friendship and company. It is syrup of the late-season, which is my personal favourite. I hope you find it to your liking.

Your most ardent admirer,

I know it's sappy and dumb. Feel free to make fun of me. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Gonna need someone skilled in 19th-century Korean diction to truly capture the nuance.

Chimie
Nov 22, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Awesome thank you.

The Korean I have

I know it's sappy and dumb. Feel free to make fun of me. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps.

When I first saw that you wanted to write a letter, I was concerned, but hopeful. Writing letters IS actually quite a common part of Korean culture.

But this sounds like you were writing this while binging season 2 of Brigerton mate.

I hope you find your Kate, but this ain't it chief.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

DreadLlama posted:

quote:

(Name),

Good seeing you recently. Here's some maple syrup. Next time we see each other pay me back in soju.

Name
That's probably how I'd change it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
just send her

라면 시럽 먹어 갈래?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i got you some maple syrup, but i spilled it all over my dick. you still want it?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Found this vid of DreadLlama in Seoul

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Actually been watching Trailer Park Boys. You mean I don't sound like J-Roc?

In all seriousness it's a good thing I told you guys to make fun of me or else my feelings might be hurt - my classy, classy feelings. But the truth is she knows I make my own maple syrup and expressed an interest. I'm trying to not come across as a country bumpkin (although I am). She's classy and articulate. Completely and totally out of my league but for some reason she talks to me. And it's not for English lessons; she doesn't need them.

Anyway,

Bugblatter posted:

Gonna need someone skilled in 19th-century Korean diction to truly capture the nuance.
Without irony. This is the stylistic choice I've made and I intend to stick to it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

DreadLlama posted:

Anyway,

Without irony. This is the stylistic choice I've made and I intend to stick to it.

It is a stylistic choice that is going to make her go the opposite direction if she has any sense.

I strongly suggest you consider why your stylistic choice insists on using the word "love" when same letter demonstrates you don't actually know her that well. There are a thousand better ways to give a person you're interested in a gift, and none of them involve writing her a letter in Korean that sounds like the intent you've shared in English.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

This isn't going to have the effect you want. If anything, it makes you sound more like a "country bumpkin," or at least someone who isn't too well socialized. You might be aiming for adorably dorky, but it's landed in a place that's cringey at best and potentially creepy at worst. Any of the joke translations above would be better.

So, you should toooooootally commit and provide us with a trip report afterward. It's been literal years since we've had any real entertainment in this thread.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Explain how you know this girl so I can better understand.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

astr0man posted:

just send her

라면 시럽 먹어 갈래?

this is the letter, op. short, sweet, and to the point. who's gonna say no to this?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreadLlama posted:

It is most certainly stylistic choice. It's just a really bad one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can't even read Korean and ignored the translation and I know drat well what that says just from context alone.

Dad wanted to go to Japan, but they might not open up by October. He's considering Korea instead, and wanted to know what a 7-10 day trip would look like. He's a cyclist, likes photography and hiking. I might be tagging along. What areas should we hit up? From what I hear it's all generally tourist friendly, but things to do escape me.

Chimie
Nov 22, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I can't even read Korean and ignored the translation and I know drat well what that says just from context alone.

Dad wanted to go to Japan, but they might not open up by October. He's considering Korea instead, and wanted to know what a 7-10 day trip would look like. He's a cyclist, likes photography and hiking. I might be tagging along. What areas should we hit up? From what I hear it's all generally tourist friendly, but things to do escape me.

Lots of good biking here if you shop over your bike. But prolly expensive and a bit much for just a week.

As far as hiking, the guy who made the OP probably knows best about hiking and photography, as he does both.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I would overhaul the hiking recommendations from the OP if I didn't feel like it'd be a lot of work for something that would hardly ever get read. It's old as hell and since writing it I've explored a lot of routes I'd rank higher.

Given your interests, a cycling trip from Goseong to Samcheok with some hikes around Seoraksan and Dutasan would be great. You'd see the best parts of the east coast from some really nice bike trails. A good stretch of it uses old army roadways that have been exclusively repurposed for cyclists. Seoraksan is the most iconic of Korea's national parks and has several stunning hikes of various difficulty levels. Dutasan is a hike through a gorge with a ton of photogenic waterfalls and some cool rock spires. Both mountains are particularly beautiful in autumn.

That trip with stops for the hikes could be 4 or 5 days. You can actually continue cycling all the way down to Busan, but you'd have seen the best scenery by Samcheok, so the remaining days would be better spent either in Jeju/Busan/Seoul.

You can rent bikes fairly reasonably from a few of the bike shops in Seoul, then stow them on an intercity bus. Would be cheaper and easier than shipping from out of the country.

You can grab me on IG at ryanmswartz if you have any specific questions about any of that, or if you're curious about other areas. I've been everywhere in the country, so I can answer questions about any region.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

DreadLlama posted:

Actually been watching Trailer Park Boys. You mean I don't sound like J-Roc?

In all seriousness it's a good thing I told you guys to make fun of me or else my feelings might be hurt - my classy, classy feelings. But the truth is she knows I make my own maple syrup and expressed an interest. I'm trying to not come across as a country bumpkin (although I am). She's classy and articulate. Completely and totally out of my league but for some reason she talks to me. And it's not for English lessons; she doesn't need them.

Anyway,

so how'd the syrup thing go over

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

My dude, you would be better off literally copying a script of a love confession off a K-drama than that. Whoever said 19th century Korean diction isn't too far off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Please god I want to hear how it went.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
even the english OP started from makes me feel like i'm gonna die of fremdschämen

Chimie
Nov 22, 2013
Please god someone give me a syrup update. It's almost June and I'm loving dying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chimie posted:

Please god someone give me a syrup update. It's almost June and I'm loving dying.

It is pretty late in the season for an update.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
did the girl die of fremdschämen and is that why we haven't heard anything

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

he's too busy busting to post, obviously

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

from tapping trees to tapping rear end, a goon love tale

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Hey, im visiting South Korea soon for 2 weeks. 1 week Seoul and 1 week Busan/Jeju. i was wondering if using an e-sim would be a good idea to stay online in Seoul or if it’s better to go for a physical sim card? Currently looking at nomad e-sim

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I don't know anything about e-sims but you can get a physical sim with unlimited data at the airport for $50 or so USD for 30 days. You can get a wifi hotspot rental for shorter periods and for cheaper but you have to carry the thing around with you.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

woops, misunderstood. I have no idea what an esim is!

The pocket wifis are pretty small though, it's not a huge hassle to carry around.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 9, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Pretty sure the major KR carriers all sell esims and I think the main options are the same. The unlimited plan for 30 days is good. KT’s 24 hour English helpline is little easier to use if there’s a problem, but SK can still connect you to English speakers. Otherwise KT and SK provide very similar service. A few people also use U+, but I don’t know any non-Korean speakers who do so no idea about English support.

Never used the Wi-Fi eggs but I’ve heard varying reports about battery life with them.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
im syrup girl and im hella pregnant with dreadllama's babies

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Thank you. Went with the E-sim. Its working fine. Grabbed that google maps link with all the food pins on the 1st page. That helps so much! Looking forward to some good Korean food

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Has anyone been keeping up with that? Don't trust anything in the Itaewon area as a lot of that has changed. If you want live reccomendations, get Kakao Talk and hop into the chat. You can look me up by the same username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

At least as of a year ago, someone has still been adding stuff to it. Not sure if they’re also pruning dead stuff though. No idea who it is even.