Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
My wife and I are visiting Korea in mid-October and are making up our packing list. I've been seeing a lot of information about prescription medications and the rigamarole necessary to bring in a supply for personal use. The US State Department says "Just carry your prescription and the meds in original packaging," the US Embassy says "Visitors must bring the original prescriptions, a letter from your doctor specifying the medical condition, and a statement from your doctor on the medicines you are importing" whatever the hell that means, a bunch of various websites say that you need a special form from the Korean FDA but Google is turning up nothing on the Korean FDA website that looks even remotely relevant.

If we bring the following for a ten day visit:
  • Sertraline (Zoloft) 100mg/day for two people
  • Allopurinol 100mg/day
  • Prescription antacid
  • Fluocinonide (corticosteroid skin cream)
are we definitely going to be beaten by the customs agents at Incheon? :ohdear: What's the right way to bring these in?

csammis fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Hi Goons,

Goon meet in Seoul Sunday Oct 16? Quick questions - how common is Kakao/Line pay/contactless pay/apple pay? And are late night taxi drivers honest by the meter or do I need to use some taxi/uber app?

Lurker HK goon here. Last few years have been terrible and a giant haze :( It has been many many years since we visited Seoul and a direct flight back to our imaginary ancestral home of Japan is too expensive. $1700 USD for a 3 hour flight :qq: Anyways, here's our short Itinerary, can someone please have a look? and for the last 3 years we never left took a plane so we are kind of rusty

Sat Oct 15:
  • Arrive 2pm ICN -
  • Skip the Covid PCR Test????? (Yes it's supposed to be mandatory but the city doesn't even do contact tracing in bars/restaurants/public places)
  • Pick up discover seoul pass - 72 hour https://www.klook.com/activity/3819-discover-seoul-pass-seoul/ -activate on Sunday 10am
  • Pick up 1 way AREX train ticket - use it on our way to the city
  • Pick up sim cards
  • 4pm Checkin near Seoul station
  • Meet up gimhae lurker goon (or goon meet?)
  • Drink up in a makgeolli bar - Damatori H (or any other suggestions?)

Sun Oct 16:
  • Morning run around the canal
  • Breakfast at Gwangjang market
  • Activate discover seoul card - walk around small rebuilt gardens majestic palaces of Korea
  • Eat some Hanwoo beef or go to the meat market for dinner
  • OR GOON MEET?

Mon Oct 17:
  • Bike along the Han river
  • Coex Aquarium
  • Evening at Namsan tower and try another makgeolli bar

Tues Oct 18:
  • Go to Suwon and see the fortress?
  • Open to suggestions for attractions - I know most are still closed. Or just a free day and stop by Hongdae at night
  • It would be really really really really awesome if we can have base access guest pass. My partner hasn't ever been inside one.

Wed Oct 19:
  • Use the Discover seoul pass free Arex ticket on the way out
  • Fly to Japan And begin our real vacation of relaxaion

Anyways, appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.

Im sorry Korean goons for skipping on Korea after all these years :smith: Looking at google maps and all these YOUTUBE VIDEOS - it seems like Seoul and rest of East Asia have progressed a lot, matured quite a bit and cleaned up. Seoul seemed to have upped their city planning game and the reduction of trash group tourists post THAAD seems to have made Seoul a better place to visit.

Wonton fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 29, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

csammis posted:

My wife and I are visiting Korea in mid-October and are making up our packing list. I've been seeing a lot of information about prescription medications and the rigamarole necessary to bring in a supply for personal use. The US State Department says "Just carry your prescription and the meds in original packaging," the US Embassy says "Visitors must bring the original prescriptions, a letter from your doctor specifying the medical condition, and a statement from your doctor on the medicines you are importing" whatever the hell that means, a bunch of various websites say that you need a special form from the Korean FDA but Google is turning up nothing on the Korean FDA website that looks even remotely relevant.

• Allopurinol 100mg/day
  • Prescription antacid
are we definitely going to be beaten by the customs agents at Incheon? :ohdear: What's the right way to bring these in?

Are you white and American? Do you look poor? Serious answer: As long as you and your wife dont look like sketchy drug traffickers you should be fine.

Wait isn't Zoloft used to treat depression? And the food in Korea is mostly red coloured spice with lots of meat/booze. Are you guys going to be ok traveling?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wonton posted:

Sat Oct 15:[list]
[*] Skip the Covid PCR Test????? (Yes it's supposed to be mandatory but the city doesn't even do contact tracing in bars/restaurants/public places)

You risk a fairly hefty fine. You have to upload the results to an immigration site that's attached to your passport and arrival info. I'm pretty sure you'd be found out on your outbound trip at the latest. The test costs like 70k for tourists at the airport which is a bummer, but it's a lot cheaper than the fines and the whole thing takes less than five minutes, so it won't mess with your schedule.

백곰 is a solid mak bar near Sinsa, since you asked for mak reservations. It's a somewhat fancier deal than your typical mak spot and has a huge selection. Lines can be long though.

The Suwon Fortress is definitely a good idea. It's one of the nicest locations of its type in the country. If you want to hit a palace, I think 창경궁 is the nicest in my opinion.

Nothing is really locked down anymore, your info is a few months old. Museums, cultural spots, etc. are all open. You can go anywhere and the hours are normal. Indoor masks are the only restriction remaining.

I'd normally be down to meetup, but am unlikely to be in the city that weekend. Hope you have a good visit though.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks, we will probably just show up and do the test without a reservation. Fingers cross and hope they cancel the requirements. Just read some bad reports (probably not relevant) that tour groups take a while.

백곰 - awesome thanks

창경궁 - Oh you mean 昌慶宮? Yeah, I was looking into the history behind the palaces and this ones seems legit, with a secret garden nearby. My partner was a bit disappointed with the biggest most famous one - but hey it's not about size/age/grandeur. Even though Ancient Korean history started in 1300's - I'm glad Korea is going through some revival phase and can finally rebuild/restore their palaces/history.

I wanted to call my KakaoID HangeulLover but it was taken. Times change and I know many of you guys are married/divorced/married again/korean partners, so if we meet, we will be on our BEST BEHAVIOUR

My kakao ID is [Burger] * 3 times in a row

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

csammis posted:

• Allopurinol 100mg/day
  • Prescription antacid

you'll be fine, no one is going to give a poo poo unless you're carrying a ton of loose pills in a baggie or something. My wife visited her parents last month and brought like a year supply of melatonin for her parents plus her own meds and no one cared

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wonton posted:

Thanks, we will probably just show up and do the test without a reservation. Fingers cross and hope they cancel the requirements. Just read some bad reports (probably not relevant) that tour groups take a while.

Today the government announced that they're dropping the arrival PCR tests. Your crossed fingers worked.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Today the government announced that they're dropping the arrival PCR tests. Your crossed fingers worked.

Can you add me in kakao? I’m in the main chat but have no idea on your handle, thx

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Wonton posted:

Thanks, we will probably just show up and do the test without a reservation. Fingers cross and hope they cancel the requirements.

can you cross your fingers for the won to come back up vs the dollar? I only need like a week to transfer some money back. now, I'm not looking for a monkey's paw thing, so don't be tanking the USD.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i dont understand the qr code with the test thing, i made a qr code that they scanned at the airport and i booked and took a pcr test but am i supposed to submit the result somewhere or is it automatic

also hi i just moved here

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Vaporware posted:

can you cross your fingers for the won to come back up vs the dollar? I only need like a week to transfer some money back. now, I'm not looking for a monkey's paw thing, so don't be tanking the USD.

Dare I say going up might actually be beneficial for tourists because shrinkflation makes life miserable for everyone.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Back home now. Had a wonderful time in South Korea. The food was amazing. Pretty cheap too honestly. Exploring Seoul was super fun. Very walkable city and the subways are well connected. Loved the weather. Not too hot and not too cold. Busan was a bit more chilly but still good weather. Nami island was absolutely gorgeous.

I wanted to install kakao talk but it wasn’t sending me a verification message, so could never make an account. Should have prepared for it before i left.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Awesome, thanks goons.

Wonton posted:

Wait isn't Zoloft used to treat depression? And the food in Korea is mostly red coloured spice with lots of meat/booze. Are you guys going to be ok traveling?

Appreciate your concern but yes, we travel just fine. We traveled a lot pre-pandemic - this was actually supposed to be our 10th anniversary trip but October 2020 wasn't exactly primo going-to-Asia time.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Vaporware posted:

Crap I think it went lower

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

How far are you? If not too far we can leave seoul. We are planning on the Suwon or going to the greater Seoul area

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Wonton posted:

Crap I think it went lower

Its OK, this kind of cycle happens regularly. for instance when I try to send money to korea or return from korea, then the won will die on the vine and lose 20% of its value. It will pop back up to $1:W1000 as soon as I want to buy something in won or travel to korea.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Vaporware posted:

Its OK, this kind of cycle happens regularly. for instance when I try to send money to korea or return from korea, then the won will die on the vine and lose 20% of its value. It will pop back up to $1:W1000 as soon as I want to buy something in won or travel to korea.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Tell me when you want to transfer money back pls.

Or maybe you can my shining beacon for buying bitcoin.

Btw are you in Seoul?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Located in Atlanta, I just have family in korea and try to support them. And even if I was in korea I spent 95% of my time in dongducheon.

Sorry you're going to have to wait at least 4-5 months before we even start thinking about travelling again. Still trying to think of a way to pay off the trip this year that was 5 figures and a medical emergency.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is there any online shop thats like an amazon equivalent that has an english version or am i just gonna have to stumble my way through with google translate

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

The gmarket global app is mostly English and ships to Korea

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coupang

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

there's no english version of coupang.

if you need english i think you're stuck with gmarket or 11st

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
English keyword searches on coupang do yield results and the checkout system is pretty easy to figure out :shrug:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
ill stumble through it eventually but im protesting by not learning any hangul until they give me my ARC

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
About to take off hope my plane don’t crash.

I’m bummed i can’t buy the 72 hours discover seoul pass anymore. Was planning to used the last 71 hour of the pass to activate my AREX ticket

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://m.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1062791.html

Kakaotalk datacenter fire if anyone was wondering if we all ghosted suddenly.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 15, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Seoul station AREX you ducking suck. My destination is city hall but to take line 1 I have to walk forever and wait forever. I could have just walked straight from Seoul station to my hotel. Can’t believe we paid for this 1 station fare

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Gildiss posted:

https://m.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1062791.html

Kakaotalk datacenter fire if you were wondering if we all ghosted suddenly.

Ahh no wonder, thanks.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Perfect timing for you Wonton. Wonder how many people in the chat will think to look here.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 15, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah man I found out after going to town. Couldn’t text you guys or others.

WeChat never fails , you just get censored

God drat it, kakao is still down?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

It's still down! Got me out of going out.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Heard it might be down for multiple days.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Is kakao up?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Let’s do this old school.

GOON MEET! I’m in hongdae, Tokki bar in ryse closes at 6am, it’s quite laidback here,

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I want to talk about how Kakao is down in Goon Chat but Kakao is down. Then I want to talk about how silly it is that I can't talk about Kakao being down because Kakao is down but I can't because Kakao is down.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Suddenly all my group chats have moved to IG and man IG is a poo poo chat platform. Notifications are so confusing. This poo poo needs to get fixed.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Ffffffffff

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Korea is fun, it’s cheap as hell compared to japan. Also kind of fun with the number of north east Chinese here and the Americanization.

Sure this country tries hard but hey, got to give effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Seoul metro loving blows. Not enough escalators, and the transfers take forever, uggghh, no wonder everyone is in shape because there’s so much unnecessary walking.

And the wide streets ugh. Luckily the city is starting to have more green spaces and bike friendly access