Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Speculation Time.

I don't really remember a lot of the major details from the first act, so I may be missing some things but here's what I got.

There have been several explicit mentions of a plague of some sort, though that plague isn't present in the world Vella traveled in the first act. The existence of a "Plague Dam" suggests a quarantine zone of some sort. But Marek (the wolf, not the talking cello) said that they were "rescuing" girls in order to save them from the plague. But since the origin of the Mog Chothras and Project Dandelion would seem to be within the plague quarantine zone, why would the masterminds at Loruna want to bring people back inside the quarantine zone? More importantly, why every 14 years, and why is it such an extravagant and roundabout system?

Another interesting thing about the world is its technological disparity. Much of Vella's world suggests a pre-industrial time-frame, and yet at the same time we have a casual fisher using a good sized spool of some pretty thick wire. But the technology of Loruna is an absurd jump from spools of wire. That, along with the eccentric nature of the various... villages, for lack of a better word, suggests to me a post-apocalypse world in which so much time has passed that the world has rebuilt itself and its people have forgotten there even was an apocalypse. That's a pretty big stretch though.

Still, that suggests a potentially different meaning to the "Plague Dam". Perhaps the quarantine zone is not beyond the dam, but on this side of the dam. Perhaps "plague" is a misnomer meant to represent something else entirely. That interpretation also works with Project Dandelion, whose goal, according to Marek, is to save specific girls from the plague.

That's all I've got for now.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Without spoiling too much I'll say that one of the things that bothered me a bit is that there are puzzles in each characters' sections that you cannot solve without a clue in the other characters area. Game play wise this is fine and encourages switching but from an in universe perspective it implies that the characters just spontaneously gain knowledge with no plausible explanation.

Trying to think of a good way to handle it for the LP.

Thus begins the era of bad VLR copycats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AllisonByProxy posted:

A bit later than expected but here is the next episode!

Next Shay episode soon!

Huh, well, thanks for confirming my theory, game.

It seems my first theory was right, and the plague, or whatever the problem is, is on Loruna's side of the dam.

Btw, that research puzzle is pretty neat. I wish more puzzles were like that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm guessing we've gotta give the sand model to metal-man to make a mold to make the actual thing?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Marekai's line about not knowing exactly how dangerous Vella is seems significant, but I don't know what it might mean. Is he hoping she can put an end to the system they have in place? This would hardly be the first time he's been less than honest about his motives.

I doubt it's anything so complicated. Just bad foreshadowing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I loved your graphic but that puzzle is bullshit. That's one of those cross-story-clue moments you were talking about earlier right?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yahtzee went and reviewed Act 2 of this today, and the cross-story clue thing was definitely a sticking point. :v: (Not linked for possible mild spoilers, just in case.) It's certainly a case of using out-of-character knowledge that doesn't work in-universe (unless you assume Shay brute forces the solution).

It doesn't really bother me, to be honest. Even the first game didn't feel like finishing one story before starting the other was really in the spirit of the game's design, despite it being totally doable.

I think I'd be more fine with it if there was precedent or a lead-in of some sort, but the game just arbitrarily expects you do realize that's now a mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ramos posted:

That train segment was far more morbid than the materials involved would have indicated. And there's no way she doesn't cannibalize the corpse for a star chart.

Just drat, Vella, destruction and terror follows you everywhere.

You must be from Obvious Town.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm really liking how Shay's childish ship keeps taking a sinister turn when reexploring it now. All those toys with nothing to do kind of hit a sad vibe with me. Here's hoping Valla stages a prop revolution.

All the toys are weirdos, in a fun way. I liked that about this section. She's probably not gonna start a revolution though.

• Locked thread