Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blind Pineapple posted:

Anton Chigurh: The perfect blend of mysterious, crazy, calculating, and dangerous.

I went into this movie knowing literally nothing about it--not the premise, setting, or who directed it. Made the scenes introducing Chigurh pretty :stare:-inducing. Movie owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cyrus the Virus.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Blind Pineapple posted:

Anton Chigurh: The perfect blend of mysterious, crazy, calculating, and dangerous.

Javier Bardem makes a great villain, I love him as Silva in Skyfall. He's a proper over-the-top campy baddie, but he's genuinely creepy too, and when he calls Bond and M out on their villainy it's hard not to agree with him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

canepazzo posted:

Most of these will be Gary Oldman (there's already 2), but my absolute "favourite" villain is colonel Tavington in "The Patriot". Jason Isaacs plays an amazing murderous and psychopath british villain and I would not be surprised if his performance here was what got him the role as Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter (they're practically the same character).

holy crap I was coming here to post this, its such a mediocre movie but he is so terrifying in it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
"Who the gently caress are you?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3E7UkIzt4

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Lo Pan.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

canepazzo posted:

Most of these will be Gary Oldman (there's already 2), but my absolute "favourite" villain is colonel Tavington in "The Patriot". Jason Isaacs plays an amazing murderous and psychopath british villain and I would not be surprised if his performance here was what got him the role as Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter (they're practically the same character).

Mel Gibson historical fiction epics tend to generate some quality over-the-top villains. This reminded me of Edward Longshanks in Braveheart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoG7m1V6aw

Also, the scene where he tells the longbowmen to fire recklessly into the melee...

"But won't we hit our own troops sir?"
"Yes... But we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves."

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I also love Jason Isaacs as an actor (and have watched a lot of questionable films just to see him), and what really impresses me is that while he has played a good number of villains who are pretty bog-standard Evil on paper, he has the ability to transform them into very different characters through thoughtfully nuanced portrayals instead of just falling back on a comfortable set of "I'm a bad guy grrr" mannerisms like a lot of lesser actors.

That reminds me -- I'm acquainted with the (or one of the) historical consultants on The Patriot, and he said that Isaacs was a great guy on set -- showed attentive interest to the history of the period, would always eat meals with the crew, very funny and down to earth. He told me of an incident where he was chatting with Isaacs and asked him something like, "What's it like to play an evil character when you're such an easy-going guy?" Just like that, Isaacs stiffened and fixed him with a death glare that he claimed made him literally almost piss his pants. The atmosphere was so tense, he genuinely thought he must have said the wrong thing and was about to get punched or maybe even stabbed. No one moved for a long moment, and then Isaacs laughed and relaxed, and my friend realized Isaacs had just answered his question by demonstration. He said that whatever It is that makes someone an extraordinary actor, Isaacs had It.

I love this story. :allears:

[My friend also said Mel Gibson was a tool who clearly didn't give a poo poo about history (the worse possible sin in his eyes :)).]

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Magua in The Last of the Mohicans

Archibald Cunningham in Rob Roy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Michael Wincott's Top Dollar in The Crow.

Noggahide
May 16, 2009
I am a piece of shit retard
Wez from 'The Road Warrior'

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Nobody does camp, pantomime villainy like Tim Curry. :yarr:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mid 2000s was a great time for villains.

Forrest Whitaker's Idi Amin in The Last Scotsman
Daniel Day lewis as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood
Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkkxPeI-wIo

• Locked thread